NYIT-JB vs VCOM-Auburn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would be a better choice?

• VCOM-Auburn

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • NYIT-Jonesboro

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

dohopeful13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are my two acceptances atm. I know both are new programs and inherently a risk, and I do have upcoming interviews at some more established programs, but I have to make a decision a deposit in the next few weeks. I truthfully had a great time at both interviews and could definitely see myself attending either. I was hoping maybe any current students from either school could chime in on their experience thus far as well as clinical rotation quality.

NYIT Pros:
- could drive home easily every weekend - very close
- Looser dress code and attendance policies
- Pass/Fail

NYIT Cons:
- Rotations (Possibly? Info seems vague)
- Older building
- Tuition is 6k more expensive per year
- JB offers a little less socially
- Sharing lectures with the NY campus

VCOM Pros:
- Partnership with Auburn (seems like potential is there for research and more opportunity)
- More things to do around town
- Better rotations? (Again, possibly. VCOM seems to be a little more transparent at least)
- Cheaper tuition
- Brand new building/facilities

VCOM Cons:
- Seemed to push mission trips very heavily
- Strict attendance policy, assigned seating, and dress code
- Requires me to get a DO letter of rec prior to matriculation
- Letter grades

Members don't see this ad.

First, congrats! These are my top two choices.

Heres my two cents; The social life thing should not play that much of a role since you will be - hypothetically - studying your tail off. Second, I believe Auburn does have the leg up on research opportunities, but do not knock Arkansas State. It can still produce research opportunities. I think Auburn does have the better rotations, but NYIT has the NY residency agreement which is a pretty large pull. I can't really say anything about the grading scale, but know that even if it is "pass/fail" They still rank you numerically. You're also only talking about 24k in tuition which is not like a giant disparity. I think it comes down to what you want for yourself, and where you think you fit in at best.

Reactions: 1 user
Assigned seating? Wow...are we in grade school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assigned seating? Wow...are we in grade school?

Yeah, so they way I understood it is, you can pick your seat initially but that once you do it becomes your seat and you have to attend like 85% of lectures. Otherwise it’s a great place but that along with business casual dress code are the two biggest detriments.

I think pass/fail is huge and you’ll be thankful for it once you start medical school, but I also think established rotations is more important than pass/fail.

I’m partial to Auburn because their facilities are gorgeous.

I’m curious if nyit ar has the same connections as it’s school in New York or does it have other established connections?

VCOM's strict attendance policy would do it in for me; however, I don't know what the exact policy is for NYIT-JB. Though you won't have an abundance of free time in medical school, I feel that the ability to drive home to see family is invaluable (or at least in my eyes) - I'm in a similar position in that I attend a school that is about an hour away from my parents.

VCOM Pros:
- Partnership with Auburn (seems like potential is there for research and more opportunity) Access to campus gym (very nice) and option to enter football ticket lottery for home games. Did not have an effect on student research potential for my class while we were on campus.
- More things to do around town Great town to live in; Opelika right down the interstate is great as well.
- Better rotations? (Again, possibly. VCOM seems to be a little more transparent at least) All sites are in the Southeast. Can't compare to the other school because I don't know anything about them. Rural sites and big city places. Students are placed based off a ranking list submitted. GPA is not a factor in what choice you get.
- Cheaper tuition
- Brand new building/facilities Love our facility

VCOM Cons:
- Seemed to push mission trips very heavily Not pushed at all. The opportunity is there if you want it. If you aren't interested you won't hear about it other than emails telling you how to apply for mission trips if you want.
- Strict attendance policy, assigned seating, and dress code Didn't care for this policy.
- Requires me to get a DO letter of rec prior to matriculation
- Letter grades
Would have preferred pass/fail. We are not ranked; on your Dean's letter to residencies they will be shown a schematic of where you are in relation to the class on a graph.