2022-2023 Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine (VCOM-Auburn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary Questions:
Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. (0/500 word count)

Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (0/500 word count)

How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (0/500 word count)

What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (0/500 word count)

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, the hyperlinks in the "alphabetic listing 2022-2023" for most of the Edward Via schools are not properly matched up/ have not been updated- they either take you to 2021-2022 or to the incorrect campus.

Does VCOM take any international students (F1 student). The D.O. explore page says - yes, but their website says no. I've emailed their office - but not heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
got an email saying application pending review by committee for all 4 campuses that i applied to. Anybody else receive this?

Reactions: 1 user
got an email saying application pending review by committee for all 4 campuses that i applied to. Anybody else receive this?
Nothing on my end. Also, you only need to apply to 1 campus on aacomas. You can rank all the campuses on the secondary.

Secondary received evening of 6/21

@PapaGuava

Prompts:

Describe a significant challenge you have experienced in your life, share the strategies you employed to overcome the challenge, and what you learned from the experience. (0/500 word count)

Professionalism and respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance in medical school and as a physician. What three professional qualities do you believe a Student Doctor must demonstrate and describe how you will demonstrate these qualities as a medical student at VCOM? (0/500 word count)

How do your professional ambitions align with osteopathic medicine? (0/500 word count)

What influenced your decision to apply to VCOM? (e.g., personal or medical experiences; influences of friends/family/physicians/mentors; etc.) (0/500 word count)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received evening of 6/21

@PapaGuava

Prompts:

Did you only apply to the Auburn campus on AACOMAS?

Did you only apply to the Auburn campus on AACOMAS?
Yes.

From my understanding of previous threads about it, they only intend for you to apply to one campus for the primary. The secondary explicitly asks you to rank your order of preference among the different campuses and was the same no matter which campus you sent the primary to in all previous cycles.

Yes.

From my understanding of previous threads about it, they only intend for you to apply to one campus for the primary. The secondary explicitly asks you to rank your order of preference among the different campuses and was the same no matter which campus you sent the primary to in all previous cycles.
Oh ok. I only selected the Virginia campus, so maybe each school is sending at different times.

I hope that's what it is! I only sent it to Carolinas and haven't received anything yet
At the virtual fair today, they said it could take up to 2 months to get secondaries, so timeline is variable

Will saying that I have no preference to which campus I get interviewed at increase my chances of actually getting an interview? I have a very slight preference for Auburn/Carolina, but if it means that my chances are lower if I make a selection then I would rather just say I have no preference.

I received a secondary last night, without submitting an MCAT score, did this happen to anyone else?

Anyone else who was verified and hasn’t received the secondary yet?

Will saying that I have no preference to which campus I get interviewed at increase my chances of actually getting an interview? I have a very slight preference for Auburn/Carolina, but if it means that my chances are lower if I make a selection then I would rather just say I have no preference.
They initially consider you for your preference and then you get considered for the other 3. If you have a good reason for your choice of campus they take that into account. I doubt it will really increase or decrease your chances by marking a preference or no preference. I think they mainly try to pull from neighboring states for each campus.

Anyone else still haven’t received a secondary?

Does any one which campus is the most preferred versus least in demand
Virginia Campus

Carolinas Campus

Auburn Campus

Louisiana Campus

REceived my secondary today and also this "I am pleased to inform you that our President has initiated a reduced application processing fee of $25 for applicants like yourself who submitted your AACOMAS application early and return the Secondary Application promptly." Did every one else get it too?

Does any one which campus is the most preferred versus least in demand
Virginia Campus

Carolinas Campus

Auburn Campus

Louisiana Campus
Virginia is the most preferred since it's the oldest and has the most access to research. Auburn and Carolinas were formed within a few years of each other, Auburn has greater access to research due to its connection to AU. Louisiana is too new to know how it will turn out, but it does have affiliations with the ULM campus. Personally with P/F Step, I'd rank based on research and location.

Usual ranking goes: VA>AU>CC>LA

How are you doing the CV section? I’m assuming we include gaps in experiences due to Covid?

-For activity dates (years as its labeled) I'm using the format of month/year such as 06/2022. Except for colleges in which I use just the year (2017 - 2021)

-I'm separating gaps due to the pandemic using a comma (month/yr - month/yr , month/yr - present)

-My descriptions are VERY shortened versions from my AACOMAS app. Once I hit save and it shows up under "List college name, work, etc" , its like 1.5-2 lines

Last edited:
How are you doing the CV section? I’m assuming we include gaps in experiences due to Covid?

-For activity dates (years as its labeled) I'm using the format of month/year such as 06/2022. Except for colleges in which I use just the year (2017 - 2021)

-I'm separating gaps due to the pandemic using a comma (month/yr - month/yr , month/yr - present)

-My descriptions are VERY shortened versions from my AACOMAS app. Once I hit save and it shows up under "List college name, work, etc" , its like 1.5-2 lines
I did everything you did except the last bullet. It said to list "college name, work, etc." so if i volunteered at the hospital i put the name of the hospital and if i worked somewhere i put the name of the practice. I did not do explanations...hopefully that's not wrong because it'a already submitted lmao

I did everything you did except the last bullet. It said to list "college name, work, etc." so if i volunteered at the hospital i put the name of the hospital and if i worked somewhere i put the name of the practice. I did not do explanations...hopefully that's not wrong because it'a already submitted lmao
Someone in previous years thread did what you did, and got an in interview. I will go ahead and change it to what you are doing. Thanks!

Oh ok. I only selected the Virginia campus, so maybe each school is sending at different times.

At the most recent Choose DO Expo they said that you need only to apply to your top choice location-wise and all the schools will be able to see your application. You will then rank the locations in your secondary and will only be interviewed by one school.

Just a heads up everybody, admin has changed the attendance policy a week before classes have begun (2 campuses have already begun classes). In person attendance has been now made mandatory by our lovely dean. Not only is this socially irresponsible considering the uptick of new Covid cases, but detrimental to the mental health of anyone stuck attending. Part of the reason that a lot of the incoming OMS I’s had decided to attend VCOM was the amazing flexibility they provided, not anymore… Switching the attendance policy on the sly, really should let you all know where the Dean’s opinion of the incoming candidates lies. Heavily consider this while you weigh your options on where to attend.

Anybody went to middle school/high school outside of the US? Do I just leave the state, city, etc spaces blank?

How are you guys doing the CV section? Y’all just copy and pasting AACOMAS descriptions like the stories or?

still no secondary :( OOS submitted 6/23

has anyone been complete after submitting the secondary? i submitted 2 weeks ago and i am still not yet comeplete

I submitted my secondary on 06/27/2022 and I've been at the screening stage since then. I contacted the admissions office recently and received the following reply:
Thank you for contacting VCOM Admissions. Your file is currently in the final stages of review for completeness. This can take a while due to the number of applicants in the system. You will receive an email once your application is marked as complete on our end. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

I think it's just a waiting game right now. Wishing everyone the best of luck. We got this!

I submitted my secondary on 06/27/2022 and I've been at the screening stage since then. I contacted the admissions office recently and received the following reply:
Thank you for contacting VCOM Admissions. Your file is currently in the final stages of review for completeness. This can take a while due to the number of applicants in the system. You will receive an email once your application is marked as complete on our end. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

I think it's just a waiting game right now. Wishing everyone the best of luck. We got this!
haha also decided to email them and got the same response