NYU Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

theking

Hi,

Does anybody have any advice of NYU's Interview? What type of Q's do they ask and whats the format?

The King

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview at NYU the day before yesterday. Just one interview with a professor. He had a list of questions, and asked me according to the list. In front of me, he worte down his comment on the check sheet.
'Why dentist?', 'Your strength and weakness?', 'How many schools did you apply?', and small talks. It was very conversational. However, it would be better to prepare the answers of general questions.
Good luck.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by animal5163:
does anyone have any info about NYU dental? i heard they kick out the bottom 20 people in their class after first year? i know these are rumours, but can anyone tell me if these are true?

Well animal5163 I doubt it's as if the bottom twenty are automatically targeted as in "we only have room for 230 of your class in year two so adios amigos." It's more likely a case of statistics. On average, over the years, maybe 20 out of each entering class of 250 have failed to meet requirements for advancement to year two.

[This message has been edited by groundhog (edited 03-10-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Groundhog is essentially correct. The two main reasons dental students fail is, frequently, because they want to be in medical school (motivation) and secondarily because they lack sufficient skill with their hands doing delicate work in a very confined area (manual dexterity). In a very large class, such as NYU's, the dropouts/failures are larger in number but probably proportionally about the same as in dental schools with smaller class sizes.

Almost everyone capable of being accepted to any professional school is capable of getting through the basic science curriculum. Dropouts and dismissals, even because of poor grades, are usually for other reasons which I group under the very broad rubric of "psychological".

I had an interview at NYU the day before yesterday. Just one interview with a professor. He had a list of questions, and asked me according to the list. In front of me, he worte down his comment on the check sheet.
'Why dentist?', 'Your strength and weakness?', 'How many schools did you apply?', and small talks. It was very conversational. However, it would be better to prepare the answers of general questions.
Good luck.

Were you accepted? How did the interview go?

Your best bet is to be prepared for all types of questions. Interviews can range from relaxed conversations to intense questions from the admissions officer. My interviewer asked me all kinds of questions and these are just a few I remember off the top of my head.

Tell me about your undergrad experience? Why did you get a C in general chemistry? Tell me about your research? Why NYU? Why should the admissions choose you? How did you first get interested in dentistry? Tell me about yourself and family?

Also be prepared to ask your interviewer questions. Show them you have done your research on their school and why they should want you to attend their school.

i'd like to think this person is already a practicing dentist somewhere in the US :)