October 2019 NPTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimmer88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ready for the NPTE and has any advice on preparing for the test? Everyone says this year is a nightmare. I use a practice test every Thursday (sometimes every other Thursday) and review ALL of my questions/answers. I use TherapyEd and Scorebuilders Basecamp as my primary means of studying. I've decided to attach my practice exam scores since apparently everyone is doing that.

Retired NPTE: 550 (In April, before I started studying)
SB Exam A: 63%
Practice PEAT: 594
TherapyEd Exam A: 75%
SB Exam B: 76%
TherapyEd Exam B: 74%
Therapy Ed Exam C: 76%
SB Exam C: 72%

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed! Thank you to all for commenting on this board and going though this whole process together!

Also, in case this helps someone out in the future (it definitely helped me out) here are my stats...
Studied 8 weeks straight, 8-10 hours a day/6 days a week
Academic Retired PEAT: 648
TherapyEd Exam 1: 68%
TherapyEd Exam 2: 65%
Scorebuilders Exam 1: 70%
NPTE FF Retired Exam 1: 620
Academic Practice PEAT: 720
NPTE: 667

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did not pass, for the second time. Barely missing it again.. think it's time to take my strategy a step farther for testing. Do people recommend Kyle Rice PT hustle or Final Frontier, or aspects of both? Would love some recommendations. Feeling a little lost at this point.

Did not pass, for the second time. Barely missing it again.. think it's time to take my strategy a step farther for testing. Do people recommend Kyle Rice PT hustle or Final Frontier, or aspects of both? Would love some recommendations. Feeling a little lost at this point.

Kyle Rice accepts students for an individualized program that has 3 hours of coaching/tutoring per month. I did not personally do this but I think its a guaranteed contract to pass!

Reactions: 1 users
I did take studybuddy! its detailed and helpful, however the proffesors’ accent are very heavy, you need to get used to it.
Its about 2 and a half month of intensive live online class

passed in ca!
But i still have to take my law exam and apply for licensing, how does it work?
Well, congrats! I also applied in CA, and here are the steps for CA LAW exam and application to licensing. To save yourself some time, register for both of them on the same day.
1. To apply for a license, first go to Physical Therapy Board of California, scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "I want to..." and choose "apply for a license", then click on "Graduate of a CAPTE-Accredited PT Program" and "Applying by examination". It will give you a 17 page document, on the 11th page there 's a lifescan form, print it and take it to an authorized lifescan site. They'll do your fingerprints for a fee and send those to FBI for a check, and will give you a copy of the lifescan form. While you're at it, take 2 passport style photos, too. Take the completed lifescan form copy and those two photos and scan them. Last, go to https://www.breeze.ca.gov and register. Under "Applications" select PTBC, and follow their prompts. They'll allow you to upload your photos and lifescan form. They'll grant you the PTLA status within a week or so after receiving the payment.
2. To register for CA LAW exam, if you haven't done so already, you need to go to FSBPT dashboard, click on "JAM and Jurisprudence" tab on the left and fill out the form. After you make the payment, you'll receive ATT letter for CA LAW exam within 2-3 days, which will give you a 60 day window to take the exam. Use that letter to register for the exam on Prometric, just like for NPTE. That exam is no joke, so make sure you prepare for it by studying all of the documents listed in PTBC site, including the 130 page study guide with all the details.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat. I got the same exact score. Feeling a bit lost too and I have been doing final frontier since the start. A friend of mind told me scorebuilders Basecamp is what helped her pass the second time so may try that. I will do anything at this point cause I have taken all practice test twice now.

Just got to keep pushing and the reward will come

Well, congrats! I also applied in CA, and here are the steps for CA LAW exam and application to licensing. To save yourself some time, register for both of them on the same day.
1. To apply for a license, first go to Physical Therapy Board of California, scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "I want to..." and choose "apply for a license", then click on "Graduate of a CAPTE-Accredited PT Program" and "Applying by examination". It will give you a 17 page document, on the 11th page there 's a lifescan form, print it and take it to an authorized lifescan site. They'll do your fingerprints for a fee and send those to FBI for a check, and will give you a copy of the lifescan form. While you're at it, take 2 passport style photos, too. Take the completed lifescan form copy and those two photos and scan them. Last, go to https://www.breeze.ca.gov and register. Under "Applications" select PTBC, and follow their prompts. They'll allow you to upload your photos and lifescan form. They'll grant you the PTLA status within a week or so after receiving the payment.
2. To register for CA LAW exam, if you haven't done so already, you need to go to FSBPT dashboard, click on "JAM and Jurisprudence" tab on the left and fill out the form. After you make the payment, you'll receive ATT letter for CA LAW exam within 2-3 days, which will give you a 60 day window to take the exam. Use that letter to register for the exam on Prometric, just like for NPTE. That exam is no joke, so make sure you prepare for it by studying all of the documents listed in PTBC site, including the 130 page study guide with all the details.
Thank you so much!

I am in the same boat. I got the same exact score. Feeling a bit lost too and I have been doing final frontier since the start. A friend of mind told me scorebuilders Basecamp is what helped her pass the second time so may try that. I will do anything at this point cause I have taken all practice test twice now.

Just got to keep pushing and the reward will come
I'm sorry to hear that. It is a very hard pill to swallow. I think I'm going to get Kyle Rice's study calendar, test taking strategy course, and the Final Frontier tests. My school provided 3 months free of basecamp for us and I liked it, but the questions and tests didn't help me through scorebuilders. I felt it was too simplified, if that helps.
Good luck on the next try and keep pushing too. We will persevere!

Passed. I've got a story that I'd like to share. Until PT school, I had never had any difficulty in school whatsoever. However, I started struggling with things like time management and paying attention during the second semester of my first year. My personal life became extremely chaotic during school, which affected my ability to pay attention and to have the energy to complete my work successfully even further. Sleep was awful for three years straight. Starting second year, I got an accommodation for a note taker, which helped because her notes were a thousand times more organized and legible than mine, but it also allowed me to screw around in class even more than I had been. Somehow, I never failed an exam and only had to redo a couple of small skills checks. I was put on a rotating array of meds to try to get things under control, but the benefit was only marginal. I had to withdraw from my third clinical because my mental state was so bad, and did 6 weeks of intensive outpatient therapy. This helped, and I went back to school, finished my academic program, did another clinical, and then did a make-up clinical. I graduated in August, but the boards were still ahead.

About a week after my graduation, I visited my psychiatrist and said, "If I don't sort this out, I'm going to fail my board exam, because I can't concentrate on my materials." He finally diagnosed me with ADHD and started me on Adderall. It was an absolute life-changer. I went from maybe getting 1 hour of low-quality study time a day to 4-5 good, organized hours. All my other symptoms improved as well. I didn't try to search for a job during this time, just studied and took care of my mental and physical health. Here's how my prep looked:

Used Scorebuilders materials primarily. Read and annotated the book. Ran through all the Basecamp questions 3-4 times. I would do each small exam until I could get a perfect score, and then I would move on. Once I had done that with every exam in every section, I would go back and start over. Some days I did over a thousand questions. Did the daily question from PT365, and bought the premium version of the NPTE-PT app. Had five or six hour-long sessions with my professors to review material I was weak on in the last few weeks before the exam. Got some good tips on how to slow down and think critically about each question, and to treat it like a patient/clinical case.

Exam breakdown: I have always had an issue with doing my exams too quickly in school. It was an issue with my practice exams as well.
Scorebuilders exam 1: 63%, took an hour and 15 minutes
Scorebuilders 2: 69%, took an hour and 30
Scorebuilders 3: 73%, hour and 30
PhysicalTherapyEd: 69%, hour and 40
Scorebuilders Online Advantage 1: 77%, hour and 50
Scorebuilders Online Advantage 2: 83%, 2 hours
Didn't do the PEAT. Really regretted it in the last few days before the NPTE.
NPTE: 785/800. Took the whole time. Thought through each option on each question, regardless of how silly it seemed, and systematically eliminated answer choices. Thought this was way harder than the practice tests, walked out of there feeling completely defeated and agonized over it the whole week. Learned my score through my state's licensing board and really couldn't believe my eyes.

It feels a little surreal that this is all over now. These were the hardest three years of my life, and they would have been difficult enough without running into mental health issues. I can't imagine how much easier the road would have been if I had gotten a timely ADHD diagnosis and had gotten treatment while in school. I'm sure I would have enjoyed my education a lot more. But now I finally feel like I can actually start my life.

Congratulations to all that passed, and to those who didn't, keep your heads up. Thank you for reading this.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you reporting scores, where do you see the actual number? I only see if I passed or not.

I did Kyle Rice’s strategy course. It was a bunch of prerecorded videos on how to tackle the NPTE questions. I listened to his podcasts every morning and loved them! He’s always there to help. Would highly recommend!

I’m finding it very difficult to find practice tests to use now. I’ve done all SB, therapy Ed tests, and PEATs 2x. I know SB has “online advantage” tests. Wanted to see if anyone knows if these are different from the book and/or worth buying?

I’m finding it very difficult to find practice tests to use now. I’ve done all SB, therapy Ed tests, and PEATs 2x. I know SB has “online advantage” tests. Wanted to see if anyone knows if these are different from the book and/or worth buying?

I didn't use them but a friend did, they are different from the book. not sure if they are worth buying or not.

I have no idea regarding online advantage test but i would recommend using saunder’s questions and PT365 app.

I used Scorebuilders, Therapy Ed, PEATS, and Therapy Exam Prep. The last one gives you 3 tests that have the same look and everything like the NPTE.

Which scorebuilder version do you have? The 2020 version is out now.

Kyle Rice is worth it. You will get awesome test-taking strategies on how to eliminate answer choices, tons of practice retired NPTE questions and explanations on why each answer choice is correct/incorrect with regards to the questions. I would do his podcast and also invest in his program. It helped me a lot.

retired academic peat 635

academic peat 654 78% 156/200

retired candidate peat 643 82% 163/200

practice peat 687 79% 157/200

SB 1- 63

SB 2-69

SB 3- 69

NPTE- 723

I used Therapy Exam Prep as the last practice exam before the real thing. I found it challenging, but very useful. After taking the NPTE, this test was very similar in question style and format. For just 1 test I think I paid around $45. Highly recommend. The performance report is very detailed. Best of luck!!

I will be taking NPTE again in January, does anyone know if the PEATs are different if I purchase them again.

Where did you find out whether or not you passed the California jurisprudence test? I can't seem to get a hold of anyone who knows.