This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kxc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all. Don’t know where else to turn, I’m very discouraged.

My GPA is very mediocre (3.35 sGPA, 3.45 overall), and I’ve been graduated for 2 years. Ended up having a child my last semester of college, got married, and I decided to take some time before applying to dental school. I am now 24. I know this may hurt me.

I worked as a registered dental assistant for 16 months, before moving on up to upper management at the same dental clinic.

I’ve got a bit of research experience, shadowing, as well as work in the dental field, volunteer hours, leadership experience (VP of a club at school), and teaching experience (teaching assistant for 2 years as part of work study).

I’m currently in the process of submitting my application, and I have not ever taken the DAT, mainly out of intimidation. I’m really gonna hit it hard this summer. I will be taking the DAT in August but submitting my application by this weekend.

If I score a 20 on the DAT, do I even stand a chance of getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great chance! I took my DAT in August and applied last cycle and got into 4 schools. Score 20+ on the DAT and apply broadly and I think you will have good odds. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have a great chance! I took my DAT in August and applied last cycle and got into 4 schools. Score 20+ on the DAT and apply broadly and I think you will have good odds. Good luck! :)

Oh wow, that’s amazing! I hope I have your luck! Well luck isn’t the right word, it was probably lots of hard work. I just know I’m not the typical student with the straight As. Was your GPA anywhere close to mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
My gpa is really close to yours and I got a 20 on my DAT and had 2 late acceptances :] Very possible! Your EC looks better than mine too. But like DDSDCMMUU said, aim for 20+. Emphasis on the +!

Oh wow, that’s amazing! I hope I have your luck! Well luck isn’t the right word, it was probably lots of hard work. I just know I’m not the typical student with the straight As. Was your GPA anywhere close to mine?
My GPA was on the higher side, which was definitely a strength to my application. I know two people who had GPAs very similar to yours and both got into more than one school last cycle. I would not be too concerned with your GPA. The big focus now is your DAT. 20+ will put you into a great position because you have everything else.

Reactions: 1 user
My gpa is really close to yours and I got a 20 on my DAT and had 2 late acceptances :] Very possible! Your EC looks better than mine too. But like DDSDCMMUU said, aim for 20+. Emphasis on the +!

Y’all are making me feel a lot better. I’ve wanted to be a dentist since I was 12 years old, but I’ve been obsessively looking at acceptance statistics and literally making myself sick over it. How long did y’all study for the DAT?

I forgot to add, I will have 2 letters of recommendation from dentists, one from my old advisor/professor who I did research with, and one from my supervisor while I was dental assisting because I actually created our policies and procedures manual and helped her with a lot of stuff like that during my employment under her. Do letters of recommendation even weigh that heavily?

The statistics can help in giving you an idea of where you might want to apply but definitely don't account for everything. I got interviews at schools I never dreamed of getting invites at. Research the schools and determine which ones you would fit best with. I studied 2 months for about 8 hours a day with one day off a week. I scored a 21. Letters of recommendations do weigh heavily. Get really strong letters, they can go a long way in the admissions process!

The statistics can help in giving you an idea of where you might want to apply but definitely don't account for everything. I got interviews at schools I never dreamed of getting invites at. Research the schools and determine which ones you would fit best with. I studied 2 months for about 8 hours a day with one day off a week. I scored a 21. Letters of recommendations do weigh heavily. Get really strong letters, they can go a long way in the admissions process!

I better get to studying then! Lol, I’ve started a bit but I’m finding it hard to actually submerse myself into it. Especially Gen Chem. I was so great at Gen Chem in college but have since forgotten all the formulas and it’s just discouraging.

Did you pay for a prep course or do it on your own with free resources?

I better get to studying then! Lol, I’ve started a bit but I’m finding it hard to actually submerse myself into it. Especially Gen Chem. I was so great at Gen Chem in college but have since forgotten all the formulas and it’s just discouraging.

Did you pay for a prep course or do it on your own with free resources?
The beginning is difficult but once you start on a schedule it gets much better. I used a course during a semester I was in college to get an introduction to the material and then did self studying two months out from my test date. I learned most during that time.

I hope you're not discouraged because of your GPA because it's actually pretty good. The only thing you should worry about is getting your DAT done and applying ASAP. Having your application complete some time in August after your DAT scores are in would be ok. It wouldn't necessarily be early, but it'd be ok. Yes, I think a 20 would suffice, but you can go higher with enough study time and the right resources. You'd be golden with a 21-22+ but a 20 would probably still be fine. There's an abundance of advice on how to study for the DAT in the DAT forum. Given your circumstances and type of volunteer/work experience, a solid DAT is all you need.

Last edited:
I hope you're not discouraged because of your GPA because it's actually pretty good. The only thing you should worry about is getting your DAT done and applying ASAP. Having your application complete some time in August after your DAT scores are in would be ok. It wouldn't necessarily be early, but it'd be ok. Yes, I think a 20 would suffice, but you can go higher with enough study time and the right resources. You'd be golden with a 21-22+ but a 20 would probably still be fine. There's an abundance of advice on how to study for the DAT in the DAT forum. Given your circumstances and type of volunteer/work experience, a solid DAT is all you need.

Ughh, you’re gonna make me cry! Lol. I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Y’all have given me the pep talk I needed into putting my all into the DAT. I know the application is slightly late so I was worried it would hurt me, but I don’t want to wait until 2020 to go if I have the chance to apply for 2019. I was honestly so overwhelmed with being a wife, mom, and accountant that I was ready to just give up until recently. When I finally decided that it was time to stop making excuses and go for it I realized applications had already opened up so as you can imagine I’m in a bit of a panic! Doing well on the DAT seems like such a reach. My first practice exam in 3 years is Saturday. I have only ever taken one.

Thank you again, really!

Reactions: 2 users
Ughh, you’re gonna make me cry! Lol. I really appreciate the words of encouragement. Y’all have given me the pep talk I needed into putting my all into the DAT. I know the application is slightly late so I was worried it would hurt me, but I don’t want to wait until 2020 to go if I have the chance to apply for 2019. I was honestly so overwhelmed with being a wife, mom, and accountant that I was ready to just give up until recently. When I finally decided that it was time to stop making excuses and go for it I realized applications had already opened up so as you can imagine I’m in a bit of a panic! Doing well on the DAT seems like such a reach. My first practice exam in 3 years is Saturday. I have only ever taken one.

Thank you again, really!
Yeah go for it! Don’t wait. I think admissions committees will appreciate your situation and experience. PM me if you need any tips on how/what to study. Good luck :)

It's always a crap shoot, because even people with great GPAs and DAT scores are not close to being guaranteed admission (or even being granted an interview). But I don't think your GPA is a deal breaker. You will need a DAT score in your hands before anybody can really have good insight as to what are your chances. But if you really do well on your DAT, you will be in the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to add, I will have 2 letters of recommendation from dentists, one from my old advisor/professor who I did research with, and one from my supervisor while I was dental assisting because I actually created our policies and procedures manual and helped her with a lot of stuff like that during my employment under her. Do letters of recommendation even weigh that heavily?
They do weigh heavily! I will say that you probably will need professor letters, and they might have to be from those who taught you in an academic lecture based setting.

They do weigh heavily! I will say that you probably will need professor letters, and they might have to be from those who taught you in an academic lecture based setting.
Yeah, most schools require at least two science instructor letters, and it often has to be somebody who assigned you a grade in a lecture based course. You can have a maximum of four letters submitted to AADSAS. However, if you have been out of school for quite some time, I heard you can petition to have to have any specific instructor requirements for the letters waived (though there is no promise that you will win, it can't hurt to ask).

"I am now 24. I know this may hurt me. "

NOT AT ALL! First of all, the average incoming age of dental students at many schools is 23-24! You're not old at all. One of my classmates was in his mid-30s.

Remember that you would be competing not with young kids who haven't even graduated college yet. You're considered a non-traditional applicant, and for that, grades matter less than what you spent your time doing the last few years. Have solid grades and scores, and present a kick ass application and interview showing how being a mom and dental assistant will make you a smarter and more compassionate dentist. You have a shot!

"I am now 24. I know this may hurt me. "

NOT AT ALL! First of all, the average incoming age of dental students at many schools is 23-24! You're not old at all. One of my classmates was in his mid-30s.

Remember that you would be competing not with young kids who haven't even graduated college yet. You're considered a non-traditional applicant, and for that, grades matter less than what you spent your time doing the last few years. Have solid grades and scores, and present a kick ass application and interview showing how being a mom and dental assistant will make you a smarter and more compassionate dentist. You have a shot!

I was actually referring to the fact that I ended up taking two gap years total instead of going right out of school rather than my age, but my grammar could’ve been better!! Lol. But thank you really, hearing someone else say that is a relief because that’s how I’ve been rationalizing it to myself is that what I learned/did in my gap year would make up for me not being a stellar student, but I was also afraid that me not going right out of college would make me look like a slacker. In my personal statement I briefly explained why I decided to take the two years. My son almost died in the NICU and had viral meningitis. We see neurology once a month still, so I just really wanted to be there with him and just kinda take a freeze frame and enjoy life with him when he needed me most if that makes sense. I’m also worried being a mom might actually be a turn off for them because they may not think I can handle the courseload and juggle having a family? I’m not too sure. But really thank you. You guys are all so encouraging on this forum.

Yeah, most schools require at least two science instructor letters, and it often has to be somebody who assigned you a grade in a lecture based course. You can have a maximum of four letters submitted to AADSAS. However, if you have been out of school for quite some time, I heard you can petition to have to have any specific instructor requirements for the letters waived (though there is no promise that you will win, it can't hurt to ask).

I’ve peobably got another professor I can ask. I owe you my life lol, I had no idea that lots of schools required two. I was only applying in Texas at first and it wasn’t until I your comment that I started looking up schools and realized they need two letters from science professors/faculty. I would’ve submitted my application and been ineligible right off the bat.

Thanks! I’ve got one from my advisor who was also my professor in many upper level biology classes AND I was her research assistant. I never was really close like that with any other teacher but I took a shot and asked a couple of my old professors today. The ones that i know would remember me. Let’s hope that goes well. But until y’all’s comments I had no idea that most schools need two from science professors. Thanks again!

It's always a crap shoot, because even people with great GPAs and DAT scores are not close to being guaranteed admission (or even being granted an interview). But I don't think your GPA is a deal breaker. You will need a DAT score in your hands before anybody can really have good insight as to what are your chances. But if you really do well on your DAT, you will be in the game.
My goal is a 20 and I’ve been doing the Bootcamp. I have no idea how I’ll do but with my application I feel like I need a high DAT to be considered because of my low-ish GPA. do you happen to know if I score low, can I opt out of submitting my DAT score to the schools?

Thanks! I’ve got one from my advisor who was also my professor in many upper level biology classes AND I was her research assistant. I never was really close like that with any other teacher but I took a shot and asked a couple of my old professors today. The ones that i know would remember me. Let’s hope that goes well. But until y’all’s comments I had no idea that most schools need two from science professors. Thanks again!
Yeah. Some schools are strict that they want two letters from science professors. So check carefully of the requirements of every school you apply. Good luck!

My goal is a 20 and I’ve been doing the Bootcamp. I have no idea how I’ll do but with my application I feel like I need a high DAT to be considered because of my low-ish GPA. do you happen to know if I score low, can I opt out of submitting my DAT score to the schools?
You can. I believe you have a week or so to do it? after taking your test.
I will say that if you submit your application and then don't submit the DAT, you have to wait 90 days before taking the next DAT. So unless you are taking it in the next month, I would say with your GPA just take it in one shot and do well.

My GPA is very mediocre (3.35 sGPA, 3.45 overall), and I’ve been graduated for 2 years. Ended up having a child my last semester of college, got married, and I decided to take some time before applying to dental school. I am now 24. I know this may hurt me.

I worked as a registered dental assistant for 16 months, before moving on up to upper management at the same dental clinic.

I’ve got a bit of research experience, shadowing, as well as work in the dental field, volunteer hours, leadership experience (VP of a club at school), and teaching experience (teaching assistant for 2 years as part of work study).

I’m currently in the process of submitting my application, and I have not ever taken the DAT, mainly out of intimidation. I’m really gonna hit it hard this summer. I will be taking the DAT in August but submitting my application by this weekend.

If you are taking your DAT in August, I think you can aim higher for a 20. Splurge on trusted resources, have a structured schedule, and a 22+ should be easily doable even if out of school for a few years.

Hi there kxc, I would love a chance to chat with you about the path you took to get where you are today. I’m currently 20 and have a son (he’s 1) so I can relate a little to your situation...thank you in advance! I hope you have a great day.

Last edited: