"Official" 2007 ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't wanna be left out! Shoot me a PM if your headed to Davis Island!
It's almost time - you're gonna make it! :D
:luck: MJ

Members don't see this ad.

Don't wanna be left out! Shoot me a PM if your headed to Davis Island!
It's almost time - you're gonna make it! :D
:luck: MJ

Ditto :D
We're looking forward to having you here!!!

Waited to avoid the jinx, so here it goes-
1. Mayo-just the nicest people and place. I was looking for great teaching, on and off service, a mix of patient types (and yes, they do see a variety there), and some place that I could be happy (which is NOT a big city for me). By far the best PD I met on the trail! Program goals fit with my goals meaning I could be open and honest about wanting to return home after training and my lack of interest in basic research :) Best fit for ME.

2. Maine-Again, great people! Hospital was nice and great resources. Portland is a plus-BEAUTIFUL! Definitely a program on the move! Strong Carolinas connection. I was a bit worried about the off-service learning.

3. Carolinas-not so happy with the people, but still very nice. would have been closer to home. Good reputation, but not sure why...i was a bit underwhelmed on interview day (hard to live up to the hype i guess).

4. Yale-really wrestled with this one. I loved the program and think it's awesome training, BUT far from home and local airport is very expensive. New Haven was a bit iffy to me, but my SO loved it. I think they will be tops in a few years. check it out if 4 yrs is OK with you!

5. UVa-nice people, nice location (just expensive), close to home for me. Good off-service learning. I heard the pt. population was bit limited, but looked pretty diverse to me on the tour. Few residents the night before kind of turned me off.

6. Cincinnati-nice people, great training. Didn't really like cincy that much, but knew i would be equipped to handle anything in the real world. The 4th year was kind of holding me back. The best thing here was the committment to preparing residents for success.

7. Palmetto Health Richland-close to home, but not my style. poor off-service treaching, detached attendings (only saw PD at interview). Too much resident influence with "party" feel. Soory, I want some teaching too.

8. Geisinger-beautiful area, great staff. A bit limited in patient population. Questionable off-service teaching. Certainly a place I'd love to work, but maybe not train.

9. Hopkins-ewwww! i'm sure off-service is great, but at what cost? i don't want to be beaten "just because." The residents were too happy and no one admitted going over the hour limit (sorry, i don't buy that). And one resident kept saying "why does everyone think we are malignant?!" duh, i read the residency bogs... Anyway, PD seemed sleezy too. Slick talker, used car salesmen type. i'm sure he is nice, but felt he too was hiding something. Evasive when asked questions...boooo!

10. Grand Rapids-nice, but too nice. Seemed cushy and i was a bit worried about off-service learning. Very nice and seemed well-trained though.

11. University of Michigan-a bit arrogent. nice town.

12. Brigham's/ MGH-just not my kind. I think the fellow applicants turned me off more than the residents, but also the cost and hassel of boston-i'm not a big city type.

13. Denver-too county, great people, impressive 4th years, but at what cost!! definitely a bit malignant from what i saw on my month there.

14. MCG-close to home and great for SO, but they were like a boyfriend/girlfriend that throws themself at you...it's a turn off. Too much post-interview contact to make me comfortable. Nice people, cute town, but nothing great.

15. Indy-too big, I liked the residents, loved the night before dinner at residents house, but just didn't "fit."

16. UConn-Pd was a bit off, avoided questions and called the RRC "stupid." Sorry, but I trust the RRC to make sure I get good training! Nice the sharpest residents or staff from what I saw. I could be way off. Hartford not all that great to me.

This is just MY take and I reserve the right to be WRONG.
hope this helps someone
streetdoc

Now I'm in.... but I'll just mention the highlights. I think I may have talked a bit about these somewhere. I felt like I really "fit" at my top 3 and the rest were less so. I won't be posting my list in order at any point so I will just comment on some here.

UNC: Rotated there and loved it. The real sell was the program director. He is incredible!! Seriously. He is just inspiring and makes you want to learn. The residents were great and have lots of fun together. The area is cool but I had hoped for more of a college town (that comes from a gator girl... gainesville, FL makes all college towns look bad). You rotate at 2 hospitals about 35 mins apart. The commute isn't too bad though. Both facilities great but different. One is the usual university feel while the other is a cool community feel that is a bit cushier of a facility than your avg community. All around cool. In the end, top 3 were equal but weather had to be the decider that made this #1.

Grand Rapids: This program did it for me because the residents were really cool and I love grand rapids. PD seemed nice but not as great as the ones at UNC or Baystate (coming up next). I guess he just wasn't overly nice. But my SO is from there which tipped this up a notch above Baystate. The killer here is that it is too cold. I had a feeling that if I didn't get UNC, I would end up at Baystate (which is what happened).

Baystate/Tufts: Again, faculty was key here. The PD and asst PD were awesome. This program was a total sleeper for me. I didn't expect much here and went late in the season. Totally fell in love. Residents have a great time together AND with the faculty. The area where the residents live (about 15-20 min away from the hospital) is by far one of the cutest areas ever. So much diversity. 5 colleges make up the area and add to the long list of diverse little restaurants. Anyway, loved it (and fortunately matched there!!).

Best of:
-Residency location: UF-Gainesville (I am a diehard Gator so I may be biased)
-Best food: Texas Tech-El Paso (sweet mexican restaurants...obviously)
-Top notch all around: Henry Ford (but I am not a city girl)

I am happy to answer any questions on PM (also about the other 4: UAB, UNM, Orlando, ECU). Congrats whereever you are July 1st.