Official 2011-2012 IM Residency WAMC (What Are My Chances) Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha i know. My list is a bit all over the place. Being an img im not that familiar with the reputations of the individual programs but I'm going by 1. Whether they're vaguely img-friendly and 2. I really want to stay in California hence the kaisers but I'm willing to leave California for a good university program.

If your goal is just to stay in CA, you missed a ton of good to decent programs there. LLU, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, CPMC, UCLA-OV, Cedars Sinai, Santa Clara Valley, etc.

And there are about 60 or 70 other programs outside of CA that I'd recommend above GWU.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, thanks for the amazing advice all over this post- it's been really helpful hearing from you all so far, so thanks for taking the time to post your lists and leave feedback.

I've been reading SDN for a while, though I'm ridiculously paranoid and wanted to be totally open about my stats and program list so I'm using a generic username. I was hoping to get your collective opinions on my app list and hear whether you had any suggestions for programs that I should think about.

Stats:
- School: Top 15
- Step 1: ~250
- Step 2: ~260
- Grades: Honors in IM, Peds, and Neuro. Pass in Surgery, OB, and Psych. (Grading is Honors or Pass). Honors in two medicine Sub-Is as a fourth year. Not AOA.
- Research: One pub, but a lot of current research including three potential papers in various degrees of development (one submitted, two currently writing). If any of them get accepted, I doubt it'd be in time for interviews. One will definitely be first author, though again it'll probably be more for my personal development than for residency apps.
- Other: I spent a year with the WHO between working mainly in Asia between MS1 and MS2, have stayed pretty involved in the work since then, and got an MPH from a decently respected school just before first year.

Stuff I'm looking for in a program:
- strong training (I'm thinking pretty seriously about returning to international work on a sort-of-permanent basis after residency/fellowship and definitely want to feel comfortable practicing independently)
- solid research opportunities, especially in ID
- good fellowship record, though like I mentioned I might not apply right away.

My List So Far: (in no logical order)
- BI
- BWH
- Penn
- Hopkins
- Duke
- UW
- UCSF
- UChicago
- UMichigan
- Stanford
- Columbia
- Cornell
- Penn
- WashU

Things I'm thinking about:
I know from reading this board that this process is not always clear. I know that numbers only get you so far (and only mean so much) and that who gets interviews where is not a perfect science. So while I'm definitely curious to hear from folks about my shot at some of the top tier programs, particularly without being AOA, I'm probably going to apply anyways and see what happens.

I'm also interested in getting your opinions on places that I should add to the list. The thing that worries me is that because I'm probably a borderline to below-average candidate for the top programs, I'm probably not applying broadly enough to find a program that I really love and that loves me back. What do you guys think? Where else do you guys think I should apply considering the criteria I mentioned? I'm pretty open in terms of location.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!

I know from reading this board that this process is not always clear. I know that numbers only get you so far (and only mean so much) and that who gets interviews where is not a perfect science. So while I'm definitely curious to hear from folks about my shot at some of the top tier programs, particularly without being AOA, I'm probably going to apply anyways and see what happens.

I'm also interested in getting your opinions on places that I should add to the list. The thing that worries me is that because I'm probably a borderline to below-average candidate for the top programs, I'm probably not applying broadly enough to find a program that I really love and that loves me back. What do you guys think? Where else do you guys think I should apply considering the criteria I mentioned? I'm pretty open in terms of location.

Lack of AOA doesn't mean as much when you're coming from a TOP medical school (it's known that the competition is tougher). So I think given your CV and pedigree your lack of AOA means little to nothing, and I wouldn't quantify your application as "borderline to below-average" because it's more interesting with your WHO work, interest in academic ID (many applying to the top programs are gunning for cards and GI), and a background that includes public health.

I'm not a betting man, BUT I'd put $20 on you getting interview invites from wherever you apply (that isn't too low on the academic totem pole; places that think you are better than them won't invite you to interview - it's true).

I don't know that I'd add that many more programs as you'll have a tough time making it to them all. I might also suggest Vandy and OHSU (Oregon isn't the exact same league as every other program on your list, but it's very close, right below, and super nice, in a super nice location, and if you could arrange an interview at the same time you do UW, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised)

Good luck, but I don't think you're going to need it. This time of year will make you crazy though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, thanks for the amazing advice all over this post- it's been really helpful hearing from you all so far, so thanks for taking the time to post your lists and leave feedback.

I've been reading SDN for a while, though I'm ridiculously paranoid and wanted to be totally open about my stats and program list so I'm using a generic username. I was hoping to get your collective opinions on my app list and hear whether you had any suggestions for programs that I should think about.

Stats:
- School: Top 15
- Step 1: ~250
- Step 2: ~260
- Grades: Honors in IM, Peds, and Neuro. Pass in Surgery, OB, and Psych. (Grading is Honors or Pass). Honors in two medicine Sub-Is as a fourth year. Not AOA.
- Research: One pub, but a lot of current research including three potential papers in various degrees of development (one submitted, two currently writing). If any of them get accepted, I doubt it'd be in time for interviews. One will definitely be first author, though again it'll probably be more for my personal development than for residency apps.
- Other: I spent a year with the WHO between working mainly in Asia between MS1 and MS2, have stayed pretty involved in the work since then, and got an MPH from a decently respected school just before first year.

Stuff I'm looking for in a program:
- strong training (I'm thinking pretty seriously about returning to international work on a sort-of-permanent basis after residency/fellowship and definitely want to feel comfortable practicing independently)
- solid research opportunities, especially in ID
- good fellowship record, though like I mentioned I might not apply right away.

My List So Far: (in no logical order)
- BI
- BWH
- Penn
- Hopkins
- Duke
- UW
- UCSF
- UChicago
- UMichigan
- Stanford
- Columbia
- Cornell
- Penn
- WashU

MGH is an interesting omission from your list. Any reasons why? If not, add them. You should also entertain other members of the Top 25... do a search around here and you should find a decent list.

Your research and WHO experience are your game-changers. Emphasize them in your Personal Statement.

While it is possible for you to actually get interviews at ALL those places, count on some random rejection or two. Which programs take you most seriously will depend on your geography prior to med school and which actual "Top 15" medical school you go to. Expect a few of these top tier programs to also disappoint you on interview day... it's inevitable. You're throwing together a bunch of Type A personalities in a stressful environment, and few of them are just bound to rub you the wrong way. The Top 15-20 programs all seem to have their own personality and quirks.

Provided you aren't a total douche in your interviews, you should plan to match in your Top 3.

Good luck.

I don't know that I'd add that many more programs as you'll have a tough time making it to them all. I might also suggest Vandy and OHSU (Oregon isn't the exact same league as every other program on your list, but it's very close, right below, and super nice, in a super nice location, and if you could arrange an interview at the same time you do UW, you might find yourself pleasantly surprised)

Good luck, but I don't think you're going to need it. This time of year will make you crazy though.

I have nothing to add to jdh's comprehensive post except personal experience.

When I was applying (lo these many years ago), I was convinced (prior to applying) that I was going to wind up either at Cornell or UW. I was in med school in NYC and grew up in the Pacific NW. I was AOA, PhD with some pubs, a stone-cold average Step 1 score and HP in IM/SubI (and honors everywhere else which was kind of lame).

I applied to many of the places you (IHeartLungs) have on your list and interviewed at most of them.

While going through ERAS and clicking on programs, I thought, "huh...OHSU...I know the place exists, but I don't know much else about it...if I get an invite from UW, maybe I'll get one from them and can bundle that into an interview trip and see my family (who all lived near Portland then) at the same time." I had absolutely no expectations about the institution or the program but I managed to schedule those 2 interviews (UW/OHSU) the week before Xmas so got a family holiday trip in there as well.

OHSU was one of 3 programs I left after the interview thinking, "I would really love to go there." (The other 2, if you care were U Chicago and MSSM.) I did 2nd visits at all those places and ultimately ranked them in the order of places my wife and I would prefer to live. I wound up at OHSU, am still there and could not be happier with my choice.

The moral of this story is that, you've got stats to get in pretty much anywhere you want (as did I). But until you actually go to these places, you won't know what you really want in a program and you may be very pleasantly surprised by some of the lesser known or slightly lower tier programs.

Thanks for all of your responses- you guys are incredible.

JDH- I'll definitely add Vandy and OHSU after reading your post and checking the programs out online. Interview season might be tight, but it looks like those programs would be more than worth making time for. And I guess I never thought of the fact that I'm interested in ID as any sort of "strength." I was almost worried about seeming too interested, thinking that it would be a turn off to the statistically-less-likely-to-be-interested person reading my app or talking about research! I guess I'll just cross my fingers for an ID doc interviewer somewhere.

Gutonc- Thanks for your advice- I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm entering this process without an open mind. I know there are potentially a lot of places I could be happy, which is why I came to you guys for advice. Glad to hear that you've loved OHSU- I hope I get the chance to see it in person!

Deferoxamine- You're right, MGH should have been on there. As far as the personal statement goes, research and the WHO are definitely on there, and it's easy to talk about that stuff, but I keep having to remind myself that I'm applying for internal medicine residency and not a PhD program or NGO position. It's been tough in the span of one page to convince folks that you're serious about working hard during residency, excited about ALL of internal medicine, but also passionate about your research that, in all honesty, might not sound incredibly interesting or important to the person reading your app. I guess that's part of the fun and what interviews are for, though.

Thanks, guys, you've been awesome.

JDH- I'll definitely add Vandy and OHSU after reading your post and checking the programs out online. Interview season might be tight, but it looks like those programs would be more than worth making time for. And I guess I never thought of the fact that I'm interested in ID as any sort of "strength." I was almost worried about seeming too interested, thinking that it would be a turn off to the statistically-less-likely-to-be-interested person reading my app or talking about research! I guess I'll just cross my fingers for an ID doc interviewer somewhere.

I just imagine if I were a PD at a tippy top IM program looking at an application and I've just got done reading through my 50th and all the best and brightest seem interested in cards and GI (great fields), but that type of guy gets old (laaaaame), and then I see an application for someone who wants to go into ID . . . that would be interesting because a lot of AMGs simply don't. Most ID fellowship spots fill with FMGs and some don't always completely fill at all. Being interested in real research in an area like ID is an asset. It allows a program to feel more "well-rounded".

When you interview they will set you up to interview with someone from their ID divison and if they don't, they simply aren't trying hard enough (take note of that). The ID staff I know would LOVE to mentor someone who is interested in research and ID.

I am above avg student. Made 231 on step 1. I was making in mid to high 240s on practice nbme tests 1 week before step 2 and got my step 2 score back of 220. I have no explanation in the drop off. How much will this hurt me? I was looking at UVA, UNC, UAB, EMory. Have I just lost interviews from these places?

If your goal is just to stay in CA, you missed a ton of good to decent programs there. LLU, UC-Davis, UC-Irvine, CPMC, UCLA-OV, Cedars Sinai, Santa Clara Valley, etc.

And there are about 60 or 70 other programs outside of CA that I'd recommend above GWU.

Yeah I'm applying to nearly all the CA programs. That was just a shortlist of the programs Im looking at. As an IMG I'm applying to somewhere between 60-100 programs. By the way what do people think of Albany, NY??

I am above avg student. Made 231 on step 1. I was making in mid to high 240s on practice nbme tests 1 week before step 2 and got my step 2 score back of 220. I have no explanation in the drop off. How much will this hurt me? I was looking at UVA, UNC, UAB, EMory. Have I just lost interviews from these places?

Depends on the rest of your app but none of these places are going to screen you out because of your Step 1. And honestly, a 10 point drop in step 2 is like getting 5 more questions wrong. I know you think it's the end of the world but it's really not that huge of a deal given where you started. If your Step 1 had been 191 we'd be having a different discussion. But you'll be fine.

Gutonc- Thanks for your advice- I hope I didn't give the impression that I'm entering this process without an open mind. I know there are potentially a lot of places I could be happy, which is why I came to you guys for advice. Glad to hear that you've loved OHSU- I hope I get the chance to see it in person!

I made the point simply because most people with your stats and a list like yours think that the world will end and they will never be a good doctor and will be miserable if they don't wind up at UCSF, JHH, Brigham, Columbia or Duke.

I'm not sure I understand what you were saying.

I'm happy with my step 1 - 231.

It is the step 2 that is freaking me out. I had a 11 pt drop, and I heard it is extremely rare for people to have a lower step 2 than step 1.

Will the dropped score automatically eliminate me from getting interviews to UNC, Wake, UAB, UVA, EMory caliber places? These are some very good hospitals.

I'm not sure I understand what you were saying.

I'm happy with my step 1 - 231.

It is the step 2 that is freaking me out. I had a 11 pt drop, and I heard it is extremely rare for people to have a lower step 2 than step 1.

Will the dropped score automatically eliminate me from getting interviews to UNC, Wake, UAB, UVA, EMory caliber places? These are some very good hospitals.

What I'm sayiing is that it's not as big of a deal as you think it is. Relax, apply and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I made the point simply because most people with your stats and a list like yours think that the world will end and they will never be a good doctor and will be miserable if they don't wind up at UCSF, JHH, Brigham, Columbia or Duke.

Ha, word. I can't promise I won't turn into that between now and March, but for now I feel pretty confident that regardless of where the process leads I'll have a good time and eventually find an ID fellowship somewhere that's happy to have an extra spot filled.

Thanks again for the advice!

Hey guys. I am an M4 who is having a tough time finding which IM residency programs I would be competitive in and which could be my "safety".

I am from a state medical school. I probably rank in the middle of my my class if not slightly below average. Clinical grades have been mostly Bs with A in my JI medicine.

Step 1 = 214
Step 2 = 225

Research- have one case report with a resident and another chart review that I am working on with a mentor. I have done some clinical volunteer work for the last 2 yrs.

program priorities: 1) big, diverse cities i.e. chicago,atl, nyc 2) clinically strong program 3) good fellowship match rate

I have visited FRIEDA but can't really find the info I am looking for. I would really appreciate some help here.

Step 1: 249
Step 2: 252
Grades are 50th percentile after 2nd yr; awaiting 3rd yr ranks
Clinical rotations: A in Surgery, Peds, Ob/Gyn; B in Medicine, Family, Psych
Medical school: low to mid-tier in the south
No extracurriculars others than volunteering in free clinics
No research other than undergrad project on autoimmune disease

Question to residents, med students, PDs who are familiar with the programs below. WAMC at landing a prelim spot in these programs?

1. California Pacific Medical Center Program
  2. Caritas Carney Hospital
  3. Kaiser Permanente Medical Group (Northern California)/San Francisco Program
  4. Kaiser Permanente Southern California (Los Angeles) Program
  5. Oregon Health Sciences
  6. St Mary's Hospital and Medical Center Program
  7. UCLA-Olive View Program
  8. University of California (Irvine) Program
  9. University of California (San Diego) Program
  10. University of California (San Francisco) Program
  11. University of Hawaii
  12. University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program
  13. University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program
  14. University of Washington

Hey guys, long time poster and reader (I'm not sure I'd have even made it into med school without SDN's help!) I appreciate any and all feedback.

I go to a well-known school in the east, ranked ~20th in research. Right now I plan on going into pulm/CC or ID, but this is still subject to change.

Grades: Top 1/3 in my first two years. Honors in medicine, psychiatry, and family my clerkship year. High pass in nearly everything else. Did well in the sub-I with good feedback, but we do not receive grades for that rotation.

Step 1: ~250
Step 2: ~260

Not AOA

Research: Did some research with a well-known faculty member in another specialty my MS 2 year (I switched to medicine after I loved the MS 3 clerkship), but no pubs. Also did some historical/health policy research in college. Currently setting up another research project through the pulm department.

Did tons of volunteering and leadership stuff in college, but only some minor volunteering in med school.

My list so far focuses on schools in the east and south:
Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
MUSC
Michigan
Maryland
Hopkins (Osler)
Pittsburgh

I guess my two big questions are whether my little research experience and non-AOA status will hurt me with the big name schools on my list, and whether my list seems reasonable at this point or should I add any programs. Again, I really appreciate all the help guys, SDN is awesome.

Hey guys, long time poster and reader (I'm not sure I'd have even made it into med school without SDN's help!) I appreciate any and all feedback.

I go to a well-known school in the east, ranked ~20th in research. Right now I plan on going into pulm/CC or ID, but this is still subject to change.

Grades: Top 1/3 in my first two years. Honors in medicine, psychiatry, and family my clerkship year. High pass in nearly everything else. Did well in the sub-I with good feedback, but we do not receive grades for that rotation.

Not AOA

Research: Did some research with a well-known faculty member in another specialty my MS 2 year (I switched to medicine after I loved the MS 3 clerkship), but no pubs. Also did some historical/health policy research in college. Currently setting up another research project through the pulm department.

Did tons of volunteering and leadership stuff in college, but only some minor volunteering in med school.

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
MUSC
Michigan
Maryland
Hopkins (Osler)
Pittsburgh

I guess my two big questions are whether my little research experience and non-AOA status will hurt me with the big name schools on my list, and whether my list seems reasonable at this point or should I add any programs. Again, I really appreciate all the help guys, SDN is awesome.

I would imagine you would get interviews at all the places you listed. I dont think non-AOA matters that much with your Step scores. You are applying to a bunch of places I am too.. glad to know I'll have some pretty stiff competition ;)

Hey guys. I am an M4 who is having a tough time finding which IM residency programs I would be competitive in and which could be my "safety".

I am from a state medical school. I probably rank in the middle of my my class if not slightly below average. Clinical grades have been mostly Bs with A in my JI medicine.

Step 1 = 214
Step 2 = 225

Research- have one case report with a resident and another chart review that I am working on with a mentor. I have done some clinical volunteer work for the last 2 yrs.

program priorities: 1) big, diverse cities i.e. chicago,atl, nyc 2) clinically strong program 3) good fellowship match rate

I have visited FRIEDA but can't really find the info I am looking for. I would really appreciate some help here.

We've already listed some mid-teir uni programs in cities already in this thread. Chicago probably has the most bang for your buck with Loyola, Rush, and UIC, followed by Phili with Temple, Drexel, and TJ. In NYC there is SUNY Downstate and maybe NYU.

All the other cities either have one bigger named academic program, or aren't places I'd want to live (Detroit, Houston) so I didn't mention them.

Step 1: 249
Step 2: 252
Grades are 50th percentile after 2nd yr; awaiting 3rd yr ranks
Clinical rotations: A in Surgery, Peds, Ob/Gyn; B in Medicine, Family, Psych
Medical school: low to mid-tier in the south
No extracurriculars others than volunteering in free clinics
No research other than undergrad project on autoimmune disease

Question to residents, med students, PDs who are familiar with the programs below. WAMC at landing a prelim spot in these programs?

1. California Pacific Medical Center Program
  2. Caritas Carney Hospital
  3. Kaiser Permanente Medical Group (Northern California)/San Francisco Program
  4. Kaiser Permanente Southern California (Los Angeles) Program
  5. Oregon Health Sciences
  6. St Mary's Hospital and Medical Center Program
  7. UCLA-Olive View Program
  8. University of California (Irvine) Program
  9. University of California (San Diego) Program
  10. University of California (San Francisco) Program
  11. University of Hawaii
  12. University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program
  13. University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program
  14. University of Washington

It's honestly hard to make guesses about preliminary years. Though, I might not want to spend my first year at UTSW, UW, or USC to be completely honest.

Not AOA

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
MUSC
Michigan
Maryland
Hopkins (Osler)
Pittsburgh

You probably get invites from all of those places. Looks like you're trying to avoid the NE, which is fine, I did the same thing too. I might add Mayo, UofWisconsin and UofMinnesota to your list if you can schedule them about the same time as you do Michigan. If you don't mind an Ann Arbor winter, then you might like Wisconsin and Minnesota. Mayo's basically in the exact same league as Michigan, and Wis and Minn are right below - all still arguably in the top 30.

Not AOA

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
MUSC
Michigan
Maryland
Hopkins (Osler)
Pittsburgh

Your list looks like that of a cityphobe, which I can appreciate. My ROL back in February was interesting mix of both the really big east coast city programs and "everywhere else", with no pattern.

Based on your preferences, I think you've rounded out your list pretty well. You might want to add Wash U St. Louis - it was an interesting hybrid of the Midwest and the South, with a feel like an East Coast program.

We've already listed some mid-teir uni programs in cities already in this thread. Chicago probably has the most bang for your buck with Loyola, Rush, and UIC, followed by Phili with Temple, Drexel, and TJ. In NYC there is SUNY Downstate and maybe NYU.

All the other cities either have one bigger named academic program, or aren't places I'd want to live (Detroit, Houston) so I didn't mention them.

Thanks for the info. Are there any "safety" schools in any of the large metropolitan areas? I am okay to go any region of the country so long as it's at large, diverse city.

Also, given my stats should I just save my money and not apply to northwestern, UChicago, etc?

Thanks for the info. Are there any "safety" schools in any of the large metropolitan areas? I am okay to go any region of the country so long as it's at large, diverse city.

Also, given my stats should I just save my money and not apply to northwestern, UChicago, etc?

I'd guess that you won't get interviews from UofChicago and NWern

I'm not as familiar with some of the community programs, but Montifiore in NY, and Cedars in LA would be a couple of "cummunity" programs with. UCLA-olive view, and Harbor-UCLA might be worth checking out. I forgot to mention USC I think prior.

step 1: 245ish
not many clinical honors (H/P system)- do honors in clinical evals/OSCEs, shelf kills me everytime (Pass in Medicine/Surgery)
Top 30 school, well known
Several research projects, national/internat conferences, extra cirric
1 Publication
2 subI's (medicine/ICU)- Honors
Electives- all honors
Great LOR from well know people

1. Lived on the east coast for my entire life, no location preferences, nothing tying me down. Want to be in a diverse city, with a chill residency program (not malignant/cut throat). What programs come to mind?

Am I competitive for:
Cornell, Mt. Sinai, BI, stanford, UCLA, NW, UChicago caliber programs?

3. I know that MGH, BWH, UPenn, Columbia, UCSF, ect are a far reach- is it worth having people call for an interview

4. Safety(?): BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Rush, Cedars-Sinai, UMiami...these programs are great, but I feel that I would 'fit in' better at the more competitive places.

I just need to get an interview at these programs, believe its my strongest point. Any suggestions/comments?

I'd guess that you won't get interviews from UofChicago and NWern

I'm not as familiar with some of the community programs, but Montifiore in NY, and Cedars in LA would be a couple of "cummunity" programs

Not to be pedantic, but Montefiore is a Univ program (the main teaching program of AECOM).

And the Chicago programs are weird. No harm in applying (and you're not saving mad cash by skipping 2 programs...$50 max) so why not have a go at it and see what happens?

yeah in the long run $50 can't hurt. Thanks for the info. What do you mean by Chicago programs being weird?

Your list looks like that of a cityphobe, which I can appreciate. My ROL back in February was interesting mix of both the really big east coast city programs and "everywhere else", with no pattern.

Based on your preferences, I think you've rounded out your list pretty well. You might want to add Wash U St. Louis - it was an interesting hybrid of the Midwest and the South, with a feel like an East Coast program.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. Not a huge fan of cities, though I do realize that the best programs are in cities, and my advisers have suggested trying for some of those big northeastern ones. Still a little torn as to what to do. Thanks for the advice on Wash U - will definitely consider it. Thanks to def, internalmedicine, and jdh for all your help!

Hi guys,
I am a NON -US IMG (Canadian) , but went to school in India.

Here are my stats:
Graduated - 2010
Step 1 - 258
Step 2 cs - Pass ( first attempt)
Step 2 ck - hoping to write it in september

I have around 6 weeks of US clinical experience (with a nephrologist, which is my sub speciality of interest) and 1 US LOR.

I am going to apply widely, but what are my chances? Should I put mid range university programs out of my league?

and on another note, should I apply septemeber 1st and update the programs with my step 2 ck score and ecfmg certification or apply after i am certified?

Thanks a lot guys,
n

Hi guys,
I am a NON -US IMG (Canadian) , but went to school in India.

Here are my stats:
Graduated - 2010
Step 1 - 258
Step 2 cs - Pass ( first attempt)
Step 2 ck - hoping to write it in september

I have around 6 weeks of US clinical experience (with a nephrologist, which is my sub speciality of interest) and 1 US LOR.

I am going to apply widely, but what are my chances? Should I put mid range university programs out of my league?

and on another note, should I apply septemeber 1st and update the programs with my step 2 ck score and ecfmg certification or apply after i am certified?

Thanks a lot guys,
n

I'd apply mid-tier university programs, with community program back-up. Some PDs prefer a strong FMG to a weak AMG, even with the visa issues . . . though this can be difficult to predict. I'd apply far and wide. A few solid places that, from what I know, seem to be FMG friendly are Cleveland Clinic, Creighton, and KU (Kansas). There are obviously more, but I'd definitely send those places an application.

I'd apply mid-tier university programs, with community program back-up. Some PDs prefer a strong FMG to a weak AMG, even with the visa issues . . . though this can be difficult to predict. I'd apply far and wide. A few solid places that, from what I know, seem to be FMG friendly are Cleveland Clinic, Creighton, and KU (Kansas). There are obviously more, but I'd definitely send those places an application.

hey thanks for the heads up, wow i thought cleveland clinic was out of my league. I will add it to my list. What about the application timing? should i apply september 1st and update the programs later with my step 2 ck score? or apply around late october with my ck score and some clinical experience i will be getting in october?

Thanks for the advice.

hey thanks for the heads up, wow i thought cleveland clinic was out of my league. I will add it to my list. What about the application timing? should i apply september 1st and update the programs later with my step 2 ck score? or apply around late october with my ck score and some clinical experience i will be getting in october?

Thanks for the advice.

You can click the box on your application where they will be automatically updated with your result I thought?

Either way, send your application early and definitely make sure you update programs about your step 2, especially anywhere that send you an invite to interview. If ERAS does not do the updating bring your score report with you to interviews and ask the program coordinator is she will kindly print it off and add the copy to your file.

You can click the box on your application where they will be automatically updated with your result I thought?

Either way, send your application early and definitely make sure you update programs about your step 2, especially anywhere that send you an invite to interview. If ERAS does not do the updating bring your score report with you to interviews and ask the program coordinator is she will kindly print it off and add the copy to your file.

yes, i am aware that i can hit the auto update button and programs will be notified, but I heard weird rumours that some programs screen out applicants without step 2 scores, i was kinda worried i might be weeded out due to the lack of a complete application. but yeah, i guess i will hit the auto update and carry my step 2 ck score sheet to interviews. I guess i will be applying september 1st. Thank you.

yes, i am aware that i can hit the auto update button and programs will be notified, but I heard weird rumours that some programs screen out applicants without step 2 scores, i was kinda worried i might be weeded out due to the lack of a complete application. but yeah, i guess i will hit the auto update and carry my step 2 ck score sheet to interviews. I guess i will be applying september 1st. Thank you.

Here's the thing about filtering. When programs filter apps, it's a dynamic process on all levels. If a program sets a filter such that (for example) they only want to see apps from IMGs if they have Step 1 >2XX and a pass on both Step 2 CK and CS, that's all they'll see. If your app doesn't fall into that category, you won't be rejected...as far as the program knows, you haven't even applied. Then, once your app meets those criteria (assuming it does), it will pop up in the "hey check me out" file the next time the program logs on to ERAS. Again, as far as the program knows, you just applied that very day.

This is not to say that there aren't ways to fish out apps like yours with filters and send rejections ("show me all IMG apps with only Step 1" --> rejection letter), but that seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

Anyone?

not many clinical honors (H/P system)- do honors in clinical evals/OSCEs, shelf kills me everytime (Pass in Medicine/Surgery)
1 Publication
Electives- all honors

1. Lived on the east coast for my entire life, no location preferences, nothing tying me down. Want to be in a diverse city, with a chill residency program (not malignant/cut throat). What programs come to mind?

Am I competitive for:

3. I know that MGH, BWH, UPenn, Columbia, UCSF, ect are a far reach- is it worth having people call for an interview

4. Safety(?): BU, Tufts, Jefferson, Rush, Cedars-Sinai, UMiami...these programs are great, but I feel that I would 'fit in' better at the more competitive places.

I just need to get an interview at these programs, believe its my strongest point. Any suggestions/comments?

Here's the thing about filtering. When programs filter apps, it's a dynamic process on all levels. If a program sets a filter such that (for example) they only want to see apps from IMGs if they have Step 1 >2XX and a pass on both Step 2 CK and CS, that's all they'll see. If your app doesn't fall into that category, you won't be rejected...as far as the program knows, you haven't even applied. Then, once your app meets those criteria (assuming it does), it will pop up in the "hey check me out" file the next time the program logs on to ERAS. Again, as far as the program knows, you just applied that very day.

This is not to say that there aren't ways to fish out apps like yours with filters and send rejections ("show me all IMG apps with only Step 1" --> rejection letter), but that seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

hey thanks for the info on filtering, so it makes sense to apply early so as to not loose out on the programs that call for interviews without step 2 ck scores?
I am going to throw another wrench in the equation here, i will be starting some clinical experience in late september, can i put that in my CAF, that i will be getting doing some volunteer down the line? or would that be meaningless? . Another possibility i am considering is waiting till I start the experience, do a week or so and then put it in my CAF at which point i will have a better idea of the work i am doing. However this means i would have to apply october 1st.

Sorry for the complex equation my application is turning into, thanks everyone for your input.

1 Publication
Electives- all honors

Am I competitive for:

You want big diverse city and chill program. Are you competitive for Cornell, Mt. Sinai, BIDMC, Stanford, NW, UChicago, UCLA? Yes. You should get interviews from a lot of these places.

MGH, UPenn, Columbia? I'm betting you'll get at least one, despite the P in Medicine. You have research and a pub. You state your school is a good one.

Brigham and UCSF? The toughest to crack. Definitely worth a shot. Might very well depend on what your research is, who was involved, and who is reading your application.

Who is malignant? Who isn't? This is where personal preferences start to kick in... No right or wrong answer here.

P in Medicine isn't a deal-breaker.

Note on interviews: It does not always matter how well you interview in person. Let's say a program dishes out 400 interviews for 40 spots. Let's say you were #300 on their list when they made interview invites. You nail the in-person interview. They rank you #150 because they liked you a lot more than they thought. They still know who they want, they still match within their top 100. This is precisely where the process becomes a crapshot. Unless a program specifically says where you're at on their list, you just have no idea.

Nailing the interview portion unfortunately guarantees you nothing, and doing "mediocre" at your interview isn't necessarily the end either.

Hello everyone! I'm another 4th year who'd like to join the fun. Here are my stats:

Step 1: 229/99
Step 2: pending
- no AOA

3rd Year Clerkship Honors: none (I promise I'm not a tool, ...just didn't make the cut)
Class Rank: top 1/3
Medical School: lowest tier
Research: some experience, no publications
LORs: good
Work experience/volunteering, etc: average

I'm applying to IM residencies, leaning towards practicing general IM but I'd like to end up in a program with good Heme/Onc placement (just in case).

Tentative List (copied and pasted from FRIEDA):

University of Washington (Boise)
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
University of New Mexico
University of Nevada School of Medicine (Las Vegas)
University of Iowa
University of Colorado Denver
University of Arizona
St Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Providence Health & Services-Oregon/St Vincent Hospital and Medical Center Providence Health & Services-Oregon/Providence Medical Center
Oregon Health & Science University
Maricopa Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Legacy Emanuel Hospital and Health Center (Portland, OR)
Exempla St Joseph Hospital Program (Denver, CO)
College of Medicine Mayo Clinic (Arizona)
Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center (Phoenix, AZ)
Virginia Mason Medical Center (Seattle, WA)
University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center
University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
University of Wisconsin

Thanks for the help!!!

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my situation.
Canadian IMG studying in Australia
Step 1 - >260
Step 2 - >270
6 months NA Clinical Experience (4 in US and 2 in Canada)
3 US LOR's
Good grades throughout degree but tough to qualify as GPA is on a 7 point scale.
One Research publication and a couple oral presentations at national and local conferences.
Usual volunteer and extracurricular activities.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how competitive my application would be, coming from Oz. Would like to apply to top US IM programs (UCSD, UCLA, MGH, UTSW to name a few) and would definitely like to be at a good University program but really have no idea on how I will be viewed. Planning to apply very broad.

Any thoughts on whether I have a chance at or should I aim for community programs??

Thanks

Right now I plan on going into pulm/CC or ID, but this is still subject to change.

Emory
Vanderbilt
Duke
UNC
Wake Forest
UAB
UTSW
Baylor
UVA
MUSC
Michigan
Maryland
Hopkins (Osler)
Pittsburgh

Solid list. Based on your interests I would look particularly at:

Pittsburgh - one of the best in Pulm/CC
UAB - if your interest in ID involves HIV/AIDs their ID dept is easily top 5
Duke, Hopkins - obviously top tier places, you'd be in good shape for anything

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my situation.
Canadian IMG studying in Australia
Step 1 - >260
Step 2 - >270
6 months NA Clinical Experience (4 in US and 2 in Canada)
3 US LOR's
Good grades throughout degree but tough to qualify as GPA is on a 7 point scale.
One Research publication and a couple oral presentations at national and local conferences.
Usual volunteer and extracurricular activities.

Just wondering if anyone has an idea on how competitive my application would be, coming from Oz. Would like to apply to top US IM programs (UCSD, UCLA, MGH, UTSW to name a few) and would definitely like to be at a good University program but really have no idea on how I will be viewed. Planning to apply very broad.

Any thoughts on whether I have a chance at or should I aim for community programs??

Thanks

You'll have a strong app for a lot of good places including the ones you name. No reason not to just throw your app out wherever you think you might want to go and see what happens. Being an IMG will automatically rule you out some places but it's hard to predict where.

You want big diverse city and chill program. Are you competitive for Cornell, Mt. Sinai, BIDMC, Stanford, NW, UChicago, UCLA? Yes. You should get interviews from a lot of these places.

MGH, UPenn, Columbia? I'm betting you'll get at least one, despite the P in Medicine. You have research and a pub. You state your school is a good one.

Brigham and UCSF? The toughest to crack. Definitely worth a shot. Might very well depend on what your research is, who was involved, and who is reading your application.

Who is malignant? Who isn't? This is where personal preferences start to kick in... No right or wrong answer here.

P in Medicine isn't a deal-breaker.

Note on interviews: It does not always matter how well you interview in person. Let's say a program dishes out 400 interviews for 40 spots. Let's say you were #300 on their list when they made interview invites. You nail the in-person interview. They rank you #150 because they liked you a lot more than they thought. They still know who they want, they still match within their top 100. This is precisely where the process becomes a crapshot. Unless a program specifically says where you're at on their list, you just have no idea.

Nailing the interview portion unfortunately guarantees you nothing, and doing "mediocre" at your interview isn't necessarily the end either.

Thanks so much! reading these forums, it seems if you dont honor medicine/majority of your core clerkships you do not get interviews at the top 20 places. I am interested in cardiology and am looking for a 'top' program that allow residents to have a life outside of medicine (working 65ish versus 80ish hrs/wk), opportunity for research, and supportive environment (i dont want to be thrown in with little support). As I get my list together any programs come to mind? Thank you!

Thanks so much! reading these forums, it seems if you dont honor medicine/majority of your core clerkships you do not get interviews at the top 20 places. I am interested in cardiology and am looking for a 'top' program that allow residents to have a life outside of medicine (working 65ish versus 80ish hrs/wk), opportunity for research, and supportive environment (i dont want to be thrown in with little support). As I get my list together any programs come to mind? Thank you!

Ummm...the list you have above and your 65 vs 80 hour wish (not to mention the supportive environment) are more or less mutually exclusive.

It's been several (okay...6) years since I did this but the places I interviewed that fit your criteria (at least back then...things are pretty up in the air work hour-wise with the new regulations and I suspect there will be significant reversion to a mean of 70-75 hours/wk) include:

MSSM
Dartmouth
UMass
UW Madison
Northwestern
UMinn
OHSU

Med School : Top 30
Step 1 : 237/99
Grades : H in Surg, Peds, Psych ( likely Sub-I in IM ); HP in IM , Neuro , Ob-Gyn , Family Med
Research : working on paper , will submit by application date ; some research projects , no pubs offical
Extra Curics : interesting , original hobbies.

From california but not living in CA at this time.

Looking at:

NYU , Cornell , MSSM , UCSD , UCI , OHSU , Stanford , NW , UCLA ( harbor , reagan , olive ) , USC , AECOM , some safety programs...

What do you guys think of my list / chances , etc? No H in IM will probably hurt me but I am not looking for super academic places.

Status
Not open for further replies.