*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nvm

Members don't see this ad.

omg, im so sorry, im meaning to reply to someone else, but it seems to send to yours!

Can we still update our extracurricular activities after submitting our application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I have contacted my school which this application is for about this issue but have yet to receive a response. I believe this is more suited to the specific school but it is a PharmCAS question and it is possible other people may be able to answer this.

I e-submitted my PharmCAS Application and my perspective school's supplemental application on 10/21/11. The school has a hard deadline of 11/1/11 for applications. On PharmCAS, on the supplemental materials page, the supplemental application and fee for this school was posted as required. Yesterday, 11/21/11, the column for "Date Item Was Postmarked Or Received By School" stated that these items were either received/postmarked as of 11/21/11. This is obviously past the 11/01/11 deadline. Can you please tell me if this sets my application in a disqualified or incomplete/declined status or does the school go off the actual date of submission(10/21/11) and payment(10/21/11) for their record? The supplemental application was an online form on their perspective website and was submitted directly to them.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas or thoughts about this issue.

Can we still update our extracurricular activities after submitting our application?

No. Once you have submitted your application it is locked and you are not able to update this information. You are able to add designations and references (up to 4) after the application is complete, but these are the only sections that can be updated after submission.

Yesterday, 11/21/11, the column for "Date Item Was Postmarked Or Received By School" stated that these items were either received/postmarked as of 11/21/11. This is obviously past the 11/01/11 deadline. Can you please tell me if this sets my application in a disqualified or incomplete/declined status or does the school go off the actual date of submission(10/21/11) and payment(10/21/11) for their record?

From the perspective of PharmCAS, you were absolutely correct in contacting the program to which you are applying. Each program sets supplemental requirements and deadlines.

We just wanted to post a message to you guys letting you all know our holiday hours for this week. PharmCAS Customer Service will close early on Wednesday, November 23 and will be closed until Monday, November 28.

We wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

I was just wondering, if I don't have a specific recommendation that is required (ex: required recommendation from pre-health advisor for Temple)/ I got my bachelor's degree in 2008 and I have not kept in contact with the prehealth advisor and I don't think they would be able to write a strong letter of recommendation for me. Wiill my application be considered incomplete if I don't get a letter from a pre-health advisor? Thanks!

Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g. a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?

In one of my semesters, I was placed on "Good Academic Standing With Warning". I was wondering if I should check "yes" to this.

The rankings of standings at my school are :
Good Academic Standing
Good Academic Standing with Warning
Probation
Subject to Disqualification
Disqualification

The reason why I am hesitant is because it is still noted as "Good Standing", and "Good Academic Standing with Warning" seems like a different thing than probation, suspension, disqualification, etc...

Thank You.

I was just wondering, if I don't have a specific recommendation that is required (ex: required recommendation from pre-health advisor for Temple)/ I got my bachelor's degree in 2008 and I have not kept in contact with the prehealth advisor and I don't think they would be able to write a strong letter of recommendation for me. Wiill my application be considered incomplete if I don't get a letter from a pre-health advisor? Thanks!

This would be a great question for the school you won't specifically be fulfilling the requirements for. When you call or e-mail, I'd suggest to be prepared with "I want to use a recommendation from a pharmacist / a supervisor / a volunteer coordinator / etc instead" so you can get a specific answer for your application.

Hey there guys,

Anyone noticed that PharmCAS changed some of their "coursework subjects" under the listed coursework after verification? For example, I had labeled my "Lifetime Fitness Walking Lab class" as a General Non-Science (since it was a physical education type of class), but PharmCAS changed it to "Other Science" afterwards. It does not seem to make much sense, but I believe these would affect the GPA as far as calculating each of the categories are concerned.

Anyone ever take a look at what subjects were changed after GPA calculation and ever had to ask them to change it back for any particular reason? :confused: Just noticed some other courses' subjects were changed, and I thought I had them appropriately labeled (after speaking with my advisors and looking at the PharmCAS subjects listing and all)

Members don't see this ad :)
Why were you put on "with warning?"

Welcome to SDN, by the way. :)

Thanks! And the "warning" comes automatically when your gpa fell below a certain level. Just an automatic notation (no actual warning, like a letter from the dean or anything).

I guess I should add that I already turned in my app and everything was verified, but am having doubts about it. Do you think pharmcas would have sent if back if they felt I needed to check 'yes'?

Thanks! And the "warning" comes automatically when your gpa fell below a certain level. Just an automatic notation (no actual warning, like a letter from the dean or anything).

I guess I should add that I already turned in my app and everything was verified, but am having doubts about it. Do you think pharmcas would have sent if back if they felt I needed to check 'yes'?

Probably so. I think you'll find these responses helpful from JenAthay upthread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11548176#post11548176
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11571542#post11571542

Basically, the misconduct question is intended for things like cheating, not for just performing poorly in a class.

Thanks for response to my previous question and I have another one. So I already have my bachelors degree and I am authored on 3 publications from the research lab that I currently work at however, I'm not sure what I'm suppose to label it as. It's not undergraduate and not exactly graduate since I'm not in graduate school. I work in academic research at a hospital, does anyone know what the label "bridge or college foundation" mean?

I had a question about transcripts being posted. I sent my transcript in a while ago, i don't know if they got it so i resent it on the 21st of Nov. will it be posted before the dec. 1 deadline? I know its cutting it close, but i don't know why they didn't recieve it the first time so i sent it again as a precaution... any help? :(

Anyone ever take a look at what subjects were changed after GPA calculation and ever had to ask them to change it back for any particular reason? :confused: Just noticed some other courses' subjects were changed, and I thought I had them appropriately labeled (after speaking with my advisors and looking at the PharmCAS subjects listing and all)

Same thing happened to me after verification. I went through my courses again and checked them with the PharmCAS instructions (http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf) and there were actually five courses that needed to be changed! I have contacted PharmCAS before about editing my app after e-submitting and they fixed everything fairly quickly. I just contacted them about the wrong labels today hopefully this gets updated just as quickly!!

Hey, I'm finishing up my application but don't know how to list a deferred course for the classes since DFR/deferred is not an option for the grades. It is just a research class that will be finished up in the spring. Any ideas on what to do such as not include it or pick another choice for grade even though it doesnt match?

Hi, According to pharmcas, it takes 2 weeks to verify GPAs after I e-submitted my application. I was wondering if pharmcas send the information to the schools right after I e-submit or does it wait 2 weeks or until my GPA is verified and then submit the information to the schools?
For example, If I list 10 schools and submit the application today, the schools will get the application in 2 weeks right?
But If I list 5 schools and submit the application today, then I added another 5 in about a week, will the 10 schools all get the application at the same time after the 2 week GPA verifying period?

I had a question about transcripts being posted. I sent my transcript in a while ago, i don't know if they got it so i resent it on the 21st of Nov. will it be posted before the dec. 1 deadline? I know its cutting it close, but i don't know why they didn't recieve it the first time so i sent it again as a precaution... any help? :(

Sometimes the US postal system is junk. It's a little late now to answer your question, but I'd certainly call PharmCAS to see what your options are if they still haven't received it by today. They may tell you they're behind in matching mail to applications by a few days, and that's why it hasn't shown in your application portal yet. Otherwise, if they still haven't received it and you still have the chance to get it in to make the deadline, if it were me I might drive to the college with the transcript issue & ask if they can place it in the outgoing mail while you watch (or at least get names & phone numbers of the people you dealt with). Nerve wracking - good luck.

Hi, According to pharmcas, it takes 2 weeks to verify GPAs after I e-submitted my application. I was wondering if pharmcas send the information to the schools right after I e-submit or does it wait 2 weeks or until my GPA is verified and then submit the information to the schools?

PharmCAS will mail your application after the GPA verification. However, from what I gather, they also mark the date that your application was "complete" with them (submitted, paid, & school transcripts received), which is what counts in terms of deadlines. (Keep in mind that PharmCAS complete does not equal complete by the school's checklist, especially if you're cutting it close with deadlines.)

For example, If I list 10 schools and submit the application today, the schools will get the application in 2 weeks right?

Something like that.

But If I list 5 schools and submit the application today, then I added another 5 in about a week, will the 10 schools all get the application at the same time after the 2 week GPA verifying period?

Sounds right to me. The cutoff is Thursday, end of business, for the following Monday's mailings. So assume you have 5 schools entered, then your GPA gets verified on Wednesday & you add 5 more on Thursday - they should all 10 go out on Monday. If you add the additional schools on Friday, the first 5 schools would go on the immediate Monday, then the additional schools should go a week from Monday. That is, if I'm doing my math right. :p

PharmCAS applications are mailed with any additional items available at the time of mailing (like test scores, LoRs), and if items are received after the initial application is mailed, they are forwarded to the schools on the following Monday after receipt.

ETA: meteorstar, PharmCAS says GPA calculations will be complete "within 5 weeks." Here is a quote from the FAQ, but it's in the candidate booklet too.

Q: When will my GPAs be available?
A: Your PharmCAS GPAs will be available within 5 weeks from the date you e-submit your application, transcripts have been received and correct payment is received at PharmCAS.

Hey, I'm finishing up my application but don't know how to list a deferred course for the classes since DFR/deferred is not an option for the grades. It is just a research class that will be finished up in the spring. Any ideas on what to do such as not include it or pick another choice for grade even though it doesnt match?

I would highly suggest contacting PharmCAS for an answer to this question.

My gut reaction (with no experience dealing with deferred classes):
- Is it listed on the transcript for a semester other than Spring? If it is listed, the cardinal rule is that it needs to be entered. Better to make a mistake entering it than leave it off - but if you contact PharmCAS first & seek their advice, you should be able to enter it properly up front. (In Spring, this class wouldn't be an issue, since you'd receive a grade for it then - you'd follow the process for entering projected classes.)
- Based on the fact that PharmCAS does not use it for GPA calculations (p. 56 of instruction booklet) and you wouldn't have received a grade at the time, I would pick NG (No Grade). It seems like it would need a special designation from the drop down box - perhaps "repeated" - but I'm really just guessing. It seems like deferred might be akin to a special kind of withdrawal, and for my Ws, I just put W (withdrawn) with no special designation.

I guess the tl;dr summary is... Contact PharmCAS. :p

Hey guys,

I just wanted to drop a quick note in here to let you all know that we are currently experiencing issues with payments and for the time being we aren't receiving payments at all. We are hard at work over here at PharmCAS getting the issue resolved and to ensure that noone misses their Dec 1 deadline. I am advised that we should be able to receive payments again shortly and once I have an update on that, I will post another message here on the forum. Also, you should see a message on the homepage of the application informing you of this issue. Once the issue is resolved, we will remove that as well (just another way you will be able to tell when we can receive payments again!)

We apologize for any inconvenience and any extra stress!!

Hey everyone,
The payment issue has now been resolved and you will be able to submit payments as normal. Again we apologize for any inconvenience or extra stress.

Good luck everyone!!

Just wanted to let folks know that I submitted my PharmCas app on Nov 7 and my GPA calculations were completed today. Sure was nice that GPA calculations were completed under the 5 week estimated wait. Whoohoo!!! :D

I know I am submitting late, but I want to submit my application asap.
However, I am taking the PCAT in january.
My dilemma is I am sending application to schools that require the PCAT and one school that doesn't require PCAT.
for example my list of schools choice is
MCPHS Worcester - doesnt need the PCAT score
ACP vermont
PCOM georgia
Notredame
Belmont
Thomas Jefferson

I am still in a process of getting LORs as well.
Can I e-submit my application now and submit the PCAT and LOR later?
or do I have to wait for both?

Thanks!!

You can e-submit now, although the schools will consider your application incomplete until they receive all the items they are looking for (including test scores & recommendations). You will need to contact the school to confirm how they will handle your incomplete application until the PCAT scores / LoRs come in, and whether those items need to be present to meet deadlines. From what others have posted, most schools will not process your application for a decision / possible interview until all required items are received.

PharmCAS considers your application complete & will mail it with whatever else they have received when they have the following:
- All required application fields filled in
- Fee paid (you can pay for one now and add more later, they will mail what you've paid for)
- Transcripts received - after all transcripts are received, PharmCAS has to do GPA calculations & transcript verification prior to mailing, which may take up to 5 weeks.

After your initial packet has been mailed, any additional items received by PharmCAS would be added to your file & noted on your portal, then distributed to your schools. It does take time for things to be mailed to, processed by, and mailed out by PharmCAS (plus whatever time the school tacks on) so realize your schools won't instantaneously receive the information after it is sent.

You might find this thread helpful as you go through the PharmCAS process - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822915

I just have a quick question regarding to PCAT.
I took the PCAT once already in september but did poorly on it. So I want to retake the PCAT in january.
however, I do think that taking PCAT is kind of late.
Should I send my september PCAT score anyways and send january PCAT later?
or should i just wait till January PCAT for completion of my pharmcas application.

Also,
What if schools that I am applying to have deadline on feb?
1. Do they even going to see my application?
2. Do I even stand a chance as a candidate? bc I think it's way too late. :(

PharmCAS gives you the option to list a test date of when your PCAT will be taken, so if you want to go ahead and submit now while PharmCAS takes a couple weeks to verify your GPAs, schools will see that you're taking it again in January. Even if you submit in the next week, it may not be til early January that PharmCAS sends your application out anyways.

Also,

The best thing that you can do is go to the websites of the schools you're interested in to see what they require by their deadlines and contact the schools' admissions offices.

I tried searching SDN but could not find the answer to my question... hopefully someone here as the answer.

What do I do with "unused" AP/IB credit? For example, if I took both AP and IB Physics but only used AP Physics towards my degree/Pharmacy prerequisites and got credit for it on my transcript, do I still list IB Physics on my PharmCAS application?

So, basically my situation is that I didn't use all of my AP/IB tests that I passed towards my degree or for pharmacy prereqs, do I list ALL of them though?

^ yes, My PharmCAS application got approved this week (submitted Nov. 15), and I listed everything on my transcripts, all IB and AP credits, even though I never took some of the subjects again.

Probably so. I think you'll find these responses helpful from JenAthay upthread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11548176#post11548176
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11571542#post11571542

Basically, the misconduct question is intended for things like cheating, not for just performing poorly in a class.

xtsukiyox is correct. The question is for things like probation, cheating or student misconduct. If you are in good standing with warning I would advise you to mark no to the question.

I tried searching SDN but could not find the answer to my question... hopefully someone here as the answer.

What do I do with "unused" AP/IB credit? For example, if I took both AP and IB Physics but only used AP Physics towards my degree/Pharmacy prerequisites and got credit for it on my transcript, do I still list IB Physics on my PharmCAS application?

So, basically my situation is that I didn't use all of my AP/IB tests that I passed towards my degree or for pharmacy prereqs, do I list ALL of them though?

Yes, list them all.

PharmCAS gives you the option to list a test date of when your PCAT will be taken, so if you want to go ahead and submit now while PharmCAS takes a couple weeks to verify your GPAs, schools will see that you're taking it again in January. Even if you submit in the next week, it may not be til early January that PharmCAS sends your application out anyways.

Good answer! Exactly what I would have said - submit now and mark the Jan 2012 PCAT as planned.

Also,

1. If the schools have a Feb deadline, they will review all applications received before their deadline.
2. You are not too late. There are many applicants who esubmit on the day of the deadline (this is not recommended!)

Thanks for response to my previous question and I have another one. So I already have my bachelors degree and I am authored on 3 publications from the research lab that I currently work at however, I'm not sure what I'm suppose to label it as. It's not undergraduate and not exactly graduate since I'm not in graduate school. I work in academic research at a hospital, does anyone know what the label "bridge or college foundation" mean?

Bridge or college foundation is related to college level courses taken in high school. You will have to choose between college year 5 or graduate whichever is most applicable. I'm leaning more toward graduate because it was done following a baccalaureate degree. I will take note of this for future to add a post-baccalaureate option for that section.

Sorry I've been away for a bit, in a lot of meetings lately. I hope everybody had a great Thanksgiving holiday and is looking forward to Christmas break as much as I am.

Don't forget to request your Fall 2011 transcripts as soon as they are available so that you will be ready for Academic Update which opens on Dec 15. https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2012/faq/pcas_acad_update.shtml

Happy Holidays!! Good luck on finals!

Jen

Its been over three weeks and PharmCas has yet to calculate my GPA. They received the transcripts on 11/23/2011. Anyone having this same problem?

Its been over three weeks and PharmCas has yet to calculate my GPA. They received the transcripts on 11/23/2011. Anyone having this same problem?

Perhaps someone in the "Office PharmCas Thread" can help you out. Merging.

In the candidate booklet, it states that it may take up to 5 weeks for GPA calculations. I believe someone else posted that they had just had theirs completed with about a 4 week timeframe. It's a high volume time for applications in the cycle.

I just have a quick question regarding to PCAT.
I took the PCAT once already in september but did poorly on it. So I want to retake the PCAT in january.
however, I do think that taking PCAT is kind of late.
Should I send my september PCAT score anyways and send january PCAT later?
or should i just wait till January PCAT for completion of my pharmcas application.

You can still retake the PCAT (and probably should). What happens to some students is that they will get waitlisted in the school and the school will wait to see if you improved in your PCAT score before they accept you. It can potentially be the score that makes/breaks you.

Good luck!

Has academic update begun yet? I was just wondering because I can't update my course info. I looked on the FAQ for step-by-step instructions, but when I clicked on the "Coursework" section I couldn't find a “Switch to Completed Session” button.

Academic update is working strangely for me as well.

I just completed my MS degree and thus need to change several semesters worth of In Progress grades to Satisfactory. However, the academic update is only letting me change year 2011 grades. How should I go about updating these records?

I need to take 2 semesters of anatomy & phys and retake organic 1 to complete all the pre-req's. Next sem I'm taking anatomy 1. I have to wait until the summer to take anatomy 2 and organic 1 since the cc I'm at doesn't offer it this spring. They didn't put up the summer schedule yet so I can't register for those 2 classes. But I'm applying now (submitting pharmcas app by mon at the latest!!). Can I put that they are planned courses even if they aren't on my transcript? I just want the schools to know I plan on taking them before fall so I can still get an interview invite.

I need to take 2 semesters of anatomy & phys and retake organic 1 to complete all the pre-req's. Next sem I'm taking anatomy 1. I have to wait until the summer to take anatomy 2 and organic 1 since the cc I'm at doesn't offer it this spring. They didn't put up the summer schedule yet so I can't register for those 2 classes. But I'm applying now (submitting pharmcas app by mon at the latest!!). Can I put that they are planned courses even if they aren't on my transcript? I just want the schools to know I plan on taking them before fall so I can still get an interview invite.

Yes, I do believe they have an option to put "planned" and/or "in progress" (IP) classes.

Academic update is working strangely for me as well.

I just completed my MS degree and thus need to change several semesters worth of In Progress grades to Satisfactory. However, the academic update is only letting me change year 2011 grades. How should I go about updating these records?

If you are having a problem online and can't really find a way to change the grades, just call them. They are actually fairly helpful. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for replying back so quickly! I just added both courses as planned. One more question, I took calc 3 times.. yes i know awful.. so will the first time i took calc go under 'repeated'? or should i put it as repeated all 3 times? Or the last 2 times?