*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has academic update begun yet?.

Academic Update opened in the afternoon yesterday, so I am assuming that you are able to update your coursework at this time. If you are still having trouble, please contact PharmCAS Customer Service at 617-612-5050, 9am-5pm Mon-Fri.

Members don't see this ad.

One more question, I took calc 3 times.. yes i know awful.. so will the first time i took calc go under 'repeated'? or should i put it as repeated all 3 times? Or the last 2 times?

You should mark all three attempts as 'Repeated'

I am going to be sending my pharmCAS app soon which includes my last pcat score from Jan. of 2010. However, I am retaking the pcat this January...is it possible to update my pcat score on pharmcas after my application has been completed and sent?

My last question is regarding the references. I have my 3 references lined up, but i do not have a letter of reference from a pharmacist. I am applying to california northstate (2 references req'd.), which requires a letter from a pharmacist. Is it possible for me to send an my application in january without the letter from my pharmacist, then edit my references before the february deadline so that i may send a letter of reference to california northstate?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. And when writing the descriptions for extra cirricular activities should I write them in sentences, or can I write them in fragments/phrases (to get more words & info in)?

I am going to be sending my pharmCAS app soon which includes my last pcat score from Jan. of 2010. However, I am retaking the pcat this January...is it possible to update my pcat score on pharmcas after my application has been completed and sent?

My last question is regarding the references. I have my 3 references lined up, but i do not have a letter of reference from a pharmacist. I am applying to california northstate (2 references req'd.), which requires a letter from a pharmacist. Is it possible for me to send an my application in january without the letter from my pharmacist, then edit my references before the february deadline so that i may send a letter of reference to california northstate?

Thanks.

Maybe if we put this in the correct thread you will get more responses. Moving.

Ok. And when writing the descriptions for extra cirricular activities should I write them in sentences, or can I write them in fragments/phrases (to get more words & info in)?

Does anyone know??

lol thanks. I know its a minute detail..im just being anal. I dont want to send bullets/phrases if everyones writing sentences lol

lol thanks. I know its a minute detail..im just being anal. I dont want to send bullets/phrases if everyones writing sentences lol

I am a big believer in being concise so that invariably reflects in my writing. Plus when I think of all the apps they look at, I figure the easier it is to read mine, the better of I will be.

I think I used a bullet type of format. It's been too long though, who can remember? :laugh:

I wrote as if bulleted and originally attempted to use semicolons to break it up (since I also had comma delineated lists). However, on saving, I found that it converted all of my semicolons to the HTML code for a semicolon, which is something like 4 digits (instead of one) - I got an error for going over characters, when I was something like 20 below the max.

I ended up rephrasing so it was more clear only using comma delineation.

When you send your transcript in for academic update did you include a pharmcas transcript request form or did you just send your transcript?

When you send your transcript in for academic update did you include a pharmcas transcript request form or did you just send your transcript?

I included the request form. You should always include the request form so that your transcript can be easily matched to your application!

ok cool. Should I put (non-paid) undergrad research as an extra-cirricular activity if it was part of our curriculum & was required to graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone's transcript for Fall 2011 for "Academic Update" been received?

ok so I called up pharmcas and have all my questions answered.. except for one. (sorry!) i graduated from college in May.. can I put down awards & honors received in high school or do people just not do that since it was so long ago? When I called, they said its up to me. But is this conventional? I got many awards in high school but none during college.

Does anyone know if it is okay to send the fall transcripts before doing the academic update? I am still figuring out the classes I wanna take next semester and I am thinking of updating the courses by the end of January. However, I sent in my fall 2011 transcripts last week. Is that going to affect my one-time opportunity to do the academic update? Thanks in advance for the responses!

One of my professors made a mistake and put down that I made a B in his class when I actually made an A. I told him about this and he said he has to fill out paperwork for a grade change, but it's going to take weeks for the change to happen. This happened last month and my grade is still a B in that class.
I have to update my pharmCAS application, so what do I do about this? Should I wait a little longer until the last day or two for grade change to happen? Should I just put down a B and have the school send my transcript? Or should I put down an A and have the school send my transcript?
What will they do when the grade on my application don't match my transcript?

The reason why I'm worried about the B is that with the B my gpa is a 3.4 but if it's an A then my gpa is a 3.6ish. Also during the Fall semester I didn't take that many classes, so they're probably expecting me to make As that semester and making a B will make me look bad.

EDIT: Also, one of the schools I applied to told me that they will decide to give me an interview once I've updated my application because I left out two pre-req classes and they want to see that I'm taking it in the spring before they decide on giving me an interview. I'm scared of being late in the interview process.

Last edited:
I just e-submitted my PharmCAS app on 12/30/2011
They received my transcripts on 9/13/2011

What is the real general time on that? I know they say "up to 5 weeks" but would it really take that long? If so, i would miss the schools deadline for applying :(

What is the real general time on that? I know they say "up to 5 weeks" but would it really take that long? If so, i would miss the schools deadline for applying :(

Perhaps someone in the PharmCAS thread will be able to help you out. :thumbup:

I've also been wondering the same thing.. I e-submitted on 12/23 & can't resist logging in everyday *just in case* oh the agony of waiting..

I e-submitted on 12/7/11. They calculated my gpas on 1/2/12. The email they sent said it should be mailed out to schools on the next mailing day which is 1/9/12. Soooo about a month from e-submitting to being mailed methinks

I e-submitted on 12/7/11. They calculated my gpas on 1/2/12. The email they sent said it should be mailed out to schools on the next mailing day which is 1/9/12. Soooo about a month from e-submitting to being mailed methinks

omg your username is creepy :eek:

I've also been wondering the same thing.. I e-submitted on 12/23 & can't resist logging in everyday *just in case* oh the agony of waiting..

As long as you SUBMIT prior to the deadline, you're good. Even if the GPA calculations / mailing turn around by PharmCAS puts you past the deadline.

It really could be up to 5 weeks - looks like other users are posting that it's taking about 4 weeks. Mailings are on Mondays, and they cut off on the previous Thursday. (So something dated as of this Friday, 1/7, would mail on 1/17.)

Has anyone's transcript been received for the "Academic Update?" Mine was mailed on 12/16/11 according to my school's Registrar, but it hasn't been received as of yet!

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah mine was sent out on 12/15 & received on 12/19. Call up pharmcas. They should have gotten it weeks ago.

Okay.
I e-submitted my application on december 14th
and still... the mailing status of my pharmcas is not mailed. :scared:
I sent all the transcripts, fees, and everything.
what is going on here...

Okay.
I e-submitted my application on december 14th
and still... the mailing status of my pharmcas is not mailed. :scared:
I sent all the transcripts, fees, and everything.
what is going on here...

Your GPA must be calculated by PharmCAS before your application will be mailed. This process seems to be taking about 4 weeks right now, but could take up to 5 weeks. Your application will be mailed after that.

Hey guys, sorry, this may have been answered previously, but this is a long thread....

1) After I e-submit the academic update and sent out the transcript, how long does it take for the PharmCAS staff to calculate the updated GPA and send to schools?

2) Will I have to do another update after Spring semester of 2012? Or is this academic update the last I will have to deal with PharmCAS? If that's the case, all I need to do after Spring 2012 has ended is to send the transcript directly to the school I'm accepted to right?

"Were you ever the recipient of any action (e.g., a grade lowering penalty, failing grade, dismissal, disqualification, suspension, probation, etc.) by any faculty member, college or university for academic or professional misconduct or unacceptable academic performance?"

I guess the way that I construe this question is that they are asking whether or not I have ever been in trouble for cheating, plagiarism, et cetera. Another angle that one could look at this question from would be that they are asking if you have ever gotten suspended or failed a class. What exactly constitutes "professional misconduct" is beyond me. Any help with this question is greatly appreciated.

This does not answer my question. To be more specific, I was wondering if someone got temporarily suspended for being arrested, would that require you to answer "yes" to this question?
Aren't all suspensions temporary, whether indefinite or not? I would say you should answer "yes" to the question and explain the situation. Upon acceptance to any program, you will be required to supply them with your transcripts, which will most likely note the suspension. I think you'll be better off being upfront, rather than having to explain why you didn't orginally disclose that information and risk losing any opportunity offered.

This question belongs in the PharmCAS thread (and has in fact been answered many times). Moving.

Jenn and someone else actually from PharmCAS comes through and reads/answers questions. Posting in the PharmCAS thread is in your best interest in order to get their feedback. :thumbup:

Aren't all suspensions temporary, whether indefinite or not? I would say you should answer "yes" to the question and explain the situation. Upon acceptance to any program, you will be required to supply them with your transcripts, which will most likely note the suspension. I think you'll be better off being upfront, rather than having to explain why you didn't orginally disclose that information and risk losing any opportunity offered.

Yes, but the question seems to be asking if you ever had any academic issues in school... does anyone know conclusively what they are asking? :mad:

This does not answer my question. To be more specific, I was wondering if someone got temporarily suspended for being arrested, would that require you to answer "yes" to this question?

I think you are trying to dodge the question. Yes, if you were academically suspended for whatever reason, my understanding is that you need to list it.

The best answer will come straight from PharmCAS. You should call or e-mail them. Through your application fee, you are paying for support for filing your application.

Yes, but the question seems to be asking if you ever had any academic issues in school... does anyone know conclusively what they are asking? :mad:

In one of the posts I linked to you earlier, JenAthay specifically spells out what they are asking and why the "failing grade" verbiage is included.

If you don't like the answers you're getting here, call PharmCAS, although JenAthay is the director of PharmCAS, so I don't know what kind of different answer you're going to be getting.

I was wondering what the guideline is for a holiday on a monday mailing day. I was notified of my application being mailed on next mailing day but next monday is MLK day. Is PharmCAS going to mail my application Tuesday or the following Monday?

I was wondering what the guideline is for a holiday on a monday mailing day. I was notified of my application being mailed on next mailing day but next monday is MLK day. Is PharmCAS going to mail my application Tuesday or the following Monday?

Welcome to SDN! :thumbup:

I'll give you my impression, but hopefully one of the folks from PharmCAS takes a break from busily processing apps & sees your post soon. :) My application was actually mailed on Labor Day, so I'd say there's a good chance. It sounds like it's an automated process, but since I don't work there, I don't know for sure.

Thank you for responding. I guess I will see on Monday. Either way I am glad that my GPA calculations did not take ling at all and that the next step is just the mailing. :)

Are we supposed to list our Spring 2012 courses as well (as 'Planned/In Progress') during the academic update?

nope. it's been ~ 2 weeks since I sent it and they still haven't received it..

They received mine as of 1/12/2012. The first one I sent never arrived so I had another sent. This time, I had it overnighted.

For those who have been accepted and chose to attend UOP - Pharmacy this fall, send me a private message! I want to make a facebook group so people can get to know one another before school starts. :) The way I can do that is if I add you as a friend, then I can add you to the group. If you don't mind feel free to private message me your name and link me to your facebook page. (No worries if you're concerned about privacy, you can block me or you don't have to add me at all lol.)

-Linda Kay

Are we supposed to list our Spring 2012 courses as well (as 'Planned/In Progress') during the academic update?
Yeah I think so. If you are planning on taking those classes. Most schools like to see that you are enrolled and are taking in Spring and not waiting til Summer. Some schools don't allow Summer classes for Pre-req's so make sure that you check all the schools that you are interested in will accept either Spring or Summer classes. Just some info. :)

Has anyone's transcripts for the academic update been verified and ready to send/already sent out yet? If so, how long did it take?

For late applicants (Jan.-Mar.) when should they expect an interview?

Was your app mailed out yesterday? Im on the same boat and mine still shows as "Not Mailed"
I hope i dont have to wait another week..

My application was mailed out today Tuesday. I was worried at first that my application would be mailed out next week. Hope this helps! :)