*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I have worked over 10,000 hours in the pharmacy, should I enter "999" under "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience" since this is the maximum they will allow me to input?

That is what I would do, I think. :thumbup:

EDIT: Ahem, TOP!

Members don't see this ad.

If I have worked over 10,000 hours in the pharmacy, should I enter "999" under "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience" since this is the maximum they will allow me to input?

Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his pharmacy technician experience hours!

......It's oveerr NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

okay so when you're adding courses that have been repeated, do you put the special classification on the first time or the second time?

also what if I have a class that I am repeating online, but I haven't finished it yet? do I still put special classification? I registered for it for last semester so it is on my transcript...

Members don't see this ad :)
okay so when you're adding courses that have been repeated, do you put the special classification on the first time or the second time?

also what if I have a class that I am repeating online, but I haven't finished it yet? do I still put special classification? I registered for it for last semester so it is on my transcript...

Let me help you out with this.

@owlegrad: can you please explain how to apply for multiple schools ;_____;

Let me help you out with this.

Oh I ran into another problem with repeat courses. So on my school grade thingy, it shows the grade and says repeated on first time attempt. I was wondering if I can put on pharmcas that it was repeated for grade instead of putting the first time grade? does that make sense?? I'm putting special classification for repeated too.. but yeahh cuz i know that they include the repeated grade and it might bring down my gpa... =( helppppp thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a quick question. When inserting all of the classes you have taken, it asks for the grade that was on the transcript and all of mine are like 4.0, 3.7, etc. but it wants a percentage in pharmcas. How do I figure that out??

Oh I ran into another problem with repeat courses. So on my school grade thingy, it shows the grade and says repeated on first time attempt. I was wondering if I can put on pharmcas that it was repeated for grade instead of putting the first time grade? does that make sense?? I'm putting special classification for repeated too.. but yeahh cuz i know that they include the repeated grade and it might bring down my gpa... =( helppppp thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure you must report both, because some schools don't accept just the best grade-- they average both.

You have to report every grade you've ever received at a college. Whatever academic forgiveness/retake policies your school had won't translate over to your PharmCAS GPA.

So I have one huge question that I still don't know to this day: When does pharmcas actually send out? I don't want to complete my classes and everything, send out my references and then the application send out without receiving my july pcat scores

ALSO!

I see this section called "special life circumstances". I see overcoming adversity as one of the examples. Should I write something on this part or is this a part left for the personal statement? I don't get why this is included if we have a personal statement

Last edited:
I accidentally entered wrong recipient when I filled out the references request. I deleted it and entered correct name, but it still showed the wrong one no matter what I tried. Help!!:scared:

I accidentally entered wrong recipient when I filled out the references request. I deleted it and entered correct name, but it still showed the wrong one no matter what I tried. Help!!:scared:

Send an email to PharmCas about it.

Better then my situation.

I go to update my grades past couple of semesters and find that they put in a lower grade for me in Biochemistry for Fall 2011. Worst part is I cannot update it. My transcript clearly lists the class as an A, yet they put in B for it.:mad:
Thus I sent them an email. (No it was not a conversion issue as I received 3 A's that semester and the other 2 were placed correctly as A's.)

I feel ya here. With over 15000 hours logged as tech, I feel 999 is weak.:mad:

Heck I do 999 hours in 6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)

ALL grades including repeats MUST be reported to pharmcas. Or else it wouldn't be too fair would it? Leave out the bad and only report the good. Usually, your pharmcas GPA will be lower than your school GPA for people with retakes. hope this helped

ATTENTION TO ALL APPLICATIONS WITH THIS QUESTION! PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS!:laugh:

On pharmcas under TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS OVER SPAN OF EXPERIENCE, You get a maximum of "(0-99999)" hours!! :cool:

The 999 limit you are talking about is for Average Weekly Hours :thumbup:

If you work 999 hours a week, please give me instructions to your time space compressor:smuggrin:

I had the same problem. I did indeed put 999 in total hours, but in my job description I put 2500+ hours.

ATTENTION TO ALL APPLICATIONS WITH THIS QUESTION! PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS!:laugh:

On pharmcas under TOTAL NUMBER OF HOURS OVER SPAN OF EXPERIENCE, You get a maximum of "(0-99999)" hours!! :cool:

The 999 limit you are talking about is for Average Weekly Hours :thumbup:

If you work 999 hours a week, please give me instructions to your time space compressor:smuggrin:

What you're specifying is for ECs. For work experience it will only allow a max of 999. I asked PharmCAS and they said this is no error.

Hi everyone!

This is my first time using Phamcas, and I'm a little confused about the application process. Hope anyone here could give me an advice.

So, to use one PhamCAS application for multiple school, in the "Pharmacy Desingations", I just choose one of all school I want to apply. After e-submit the application to that school, I log in to submitted PharmCAS application to add additional pharmacy school designations. Is that right?

For each additional school, do I have to log in and out every single time? Because I tried to check all my school choices at once time, but a warning window popup and it announces about some kind of policy that allows me apply only one school per time. :confused:

anyone please....:(

@trangalang: I didn't select the early decision. I chose No, then selected all of my school choices :|

Also, I have other questions.
1) I will take PCAT on September. So should I submit PhamCAS as soon as I finish other portions or wait until receiving PCAT results?

2) Each schools I apply has different numbers of LORs. So am I supposed to get 3 letters as it's the maximum requirement?

3) In the school information page of PhamCAS, all of my schools requires to send PCAT to PhamCAS. So, when I register for PCAT, do I just choose PhamCAS as the only receiver or PhamCAS plus all those schools?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid =___=" I'm totally confused.

Also, I have other questions.
1) I will take PCAT on September. So should I submit PhamCAS as soon as I finish other portions or wait until receiving PCAT results?

2) Each schools I apply has different numbers of LORs. So am I supposed to get 3 letters as it's the maximum requirement?

3) In the school information page of PhamCAS, all of my schools requires to send PCAT to PhamCAS. So, when I register for PCAT, do I just choose PhamCAS as the only receiver or PhamCAS plus all those schools?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid =___=" I'm totally confused.
I am in the same boat as you for #1!

I am in the same boat as you for #1!
Submit as soon as you are done with your application! if you selected pharmcas as a recipient on your future test, your test score will be sent to and updated at pharmcas once scores are processed! :thumbup:

Source: second time applicant

Submit as soon as you are done with your application! if you selected pharmcas as a recipient on your future test, your test score will be sent to and updated at pharmcas once scores are processed! :thumbup:

Source: second time applicant

So, you're saying in the PCAT application, I just have to choose PhamCAS as a recipient, not my school?

Thanks for your advice :luck:

So, you're saying in the PCAT application, I just have to choose PhamCAS as a recipient, not my school?

Thanks for your advice :luck:

Yes, unless there are schools that ask for the score to be sent directly to them. (I am not aware of any that participate in PharmCAS and want the score directly, so this is for non-PharmCAS schools.) Double check the school's website / application info; it should specify if they want it directly.

PharmCAS will receive the score, update your application, then send it to all of your schools you're applying to.

So I have one huge question that I still don't know to this day: When does pharmcas actually send out? I don't want to complete my classes and everything, send out my references and then the application send out without receiving my july pcat scores

ALSO!

I see this section called "special life circumstances". I see overcoming adversity as one of the examples. Should I write something on this part or is this a part left for the personal statement? I don't get why this is included if we have a personal statement

I only skimmed, but I didn't see an answer to your questions.

PharmCAS will send when the following three items are satisfied:
1) You have put something in each required field.
2) You have paid the application fee for a school.
3) All transcripts received & GPA verification complete.
At this point, PharmCAS sends with any other information available at the time (references, test scores). When it receives additional information, it will disseminate to your schools upon adding it to your application.

As of last cycle, PharmCAS mailed on Mondays - everything processed through the cut-off time on the previous Thursday. (For example, anything processed through this afternoon would, in theory, mail Monday.) I'm not sure if the process is the same this year, but perhaps that helps give an idea of the timeframe. :)

When the school receives your PharmCAS application, they will mark your application incomplete and hold it until they receive all required information - which virtually always requires test scores & references. Once they receive any additional information, they will make a preliminary decision & if applicable, send a supplemental application and, ultimately, hopefully :xf: an interview invite.

I can't speak to "special life circumstances," as it wasn't on last cycle's application. I believe it was on previous applications, so maybe someone who applied in an earlier cycle can provide some insight. :D

ETA: Word of advice - don't push the deadlines. You will feel so much better if you know your references & test scores are in at least a few weeks before any deadline, rather than having to ask "what happens if I don't?" Also, if the school has a supplemental, make sure you leave yourself to get that in too. Applying early is especially important for rolling admissions schools.

Alright, I've got some questions on filling out this course work. How much do the subject matter areas matter for classes. For example, I have taken Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology classes. Do these go under microbiology? Or just Biology? Same thing for political science, is it a type of social science? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Alright, I've got some questions on filling out this course work. How much do the subject matter areas matter for classes. For example, I have taken Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology classes. Do these go under microbiology? Or just Biology? Same thing for political science, is it a type of social science? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There's a link under where you enter course subject that tells you what category each course falls under.

There's a link under where you enter course subject that tells you what category each course falls under.

I believe it is in the candidate booklet, too. Political Science should be in there, at least. If you have trouble classifying, the PharmCAS folks are very helpful.

How accurate does this have to be? my work hours were not consistant throughout the year, I worked more in the fall semester than spring and now I'm working full time... any idea???

How accurate does this have to be? my work hours were not consistant throughout the year, I worked more in the fall semester than spring and now I'm working full time... any idea???

Yeah, that really bugged me too. Just put down some number you think is fair and be done with it. No one is going to check, how could they anyway?

when you list ECs, do you list most important first or last? LOL sounds like a silly question but I wanted to know for sure.. :p

ps. that goes for work experience too.. I just re read the application thingy.. oooops

Does anyone have any ideas on what subject to put on a seminar in chemistry class or fundamentals of research class? I've tried searching this thread but I couldn't find anything. I put inorganic chemistry for the seminar class and other science for the research class tentatively. I took these classes as part of my graduate work in my masters program. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience listing graduate work in a science masters program?

Does anyone have any ideas on what subject to put on a seminar in chemistry class or fundamentals of research class? I've tried searching this thread but I couldn't find anything. I put inorganic chemistry for the seminar class and other science for the research class tentatively. I took these classes as part of my graduate work in my masters program. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience listing graduate work in a science masters program?

Where would thesis go under as well? I put down biochem since that's what I'm getting my masters in but I'm not totally sure.

Good luck everyone, and Go Gettem!

Last edited:

I used the mode, rather than the mean or the median. That is, on the weeks that I worked, the most common number of hours I worked is what I put down. For volunteering, I had one place I went once or twice a month usually, but it worked out to about 4 hours a week (except inventory weeks, which ended up being about 18-20 hours in one week annually). I put 4 there. I had to also put down something for my job of about 7.5 years - I most often worked full time (~6 of those years), so I put 40 hours.

Where would thesis go under as well? I put down biochem since that's what I'm getting my masters in but I'm not totally sure.

Your choices for the courses you listed sound reasonable to me, but I would contact PharmCAS if in doubt. I have no experience with graduate school, but I'm wondering if you should put your thesis under the publications section as well as the classes section (if it appears on your transcript with credit earned).

So I still need to take English and Bio but i will be taking them in spring semester. (I won't have any class in fall) Do I still have to list them as planned on pharmcas application? Some schools I'm applying to need those two and some dont.. so I might not need to take them... I know you can change when the academic update thingy is open, so should I just wait until it opens??

I have received all my transcripts and opened the seal to type in all the course works. Can I mail all of these transcripts together with the pharmcas form to the destination? or do I have to order new transcripts without breaking the seal? I am asking because one of my transcripts said once the seal is broken, it is no longer official ... i was like wat the heck

I have received all my transcripts and opened the seal to type in all the course works. Can I mail all of these transcripts together with the pharmcas form to the destination? or do I have to order new transcripts without breaking the seal? I am asking because one of my transcripts said once the seal is broken, it is no longer official ... i was like wat the heck

You opened your transcrpit to get the information off of it? Your school should have an online version you can view...or at least a page that should list all courses completed and the grades of said courses.

But yes opening them makes them unofficial.

What are you talking about mailing the Pharmcas form? All of the Pharmcas info. is online(except the transcript request form that you give to your school). The transcripts should be sent from your school. Just fill the form out and give it to your school. They will know what to do with it.

So I still need to take English and Bio but i will be taking them in spring semester. (I won't have any class in fall) Do I still have to list them as planned on pharmcas application? Some schools I'm applying to need those two and some dont.. so I might not need to take them... I know you can change when the academic update thingy is open, so should I just wait until it opens??

What schools do not need you to have completed Bio and English? I would go ahead and list any courses that you plan to take.

Also I would venture to say that:

A) Taking a year off from school before Pharm. School could be a bad idea. That is a long time to forget information that could be useful to have. Also assuming that you are just meeting your req. it will be information you are expected to know and understand.

B) English and Bio are both remedial courses that can help to reinforce some basic ideas and theories that will come up later. I think they are worth taking even if you somehow find a school that does not require them.

C) I'm skeptical about any school that is letting people apply(meaning willing to accept) who have not completed basic courses like Bio and English. Now if it was an upper level Bio(IE Mirco, Immunology, Cell, Genetics, etc) I could see them not requiring it.

D) If you do not get in and you skip these classes, as you will not know for sure you are not getting in until late spring, then what? Now you are out another semester, thus meaning you will have to waste summer or fall taking these courses. Also if you do not get in it probably means that they want you to aquire a bit more knowledge/experience before admitting you. Thus missing the semester once again lowers the amount of courses you can have completed before the next cycle.

E) The schools may begin to wonder why you are not taking courses for a year. This could hurt your chances of getting in. If you go this route, I would put an explanation in your PS about why you are taking an extended break from school. This could help to remove an misconceptions that may arise from the gap.

You opened your transcrpit to get the information off of it? Your school should have an online version you can view...or at least a page that should list all courses completed and the grades of said courses.

But yes opening them makes them unofficial.

What are you talking about mailing the Pharmcas form? All of the Pharmcas info. is online(except the transcript request form that you give to your school). The transcripts should be sent from your school. Just fill the form out and give it to your school. They will know what to do with it.

Thanks man

Okay, so now, I only need to give the transcript request forms to my schools, and then I guess they will process that.

Yeah one of my schools that I attended, the coursework online version was entirely different from the official transcript. At first, I didn't believe in that until my friend brought that up

Hello!

I was trying to fill in the credit hour section when inputting my classes, and got stuck. What is everyone else doing?

I took AP Chemistry and AP Spanish in high school and got the credit transferred over. On my transcript, it states that I got 8 units for each subject.

When converting 8 units to credit hours (from what I am reading on the pharmcas instructions, 1 unit = 4 credit hours), that means I would have 32 credit hours? Although the limit you can enter is 20 credit hours.

Am I doing wrong with the credit hours all together, and I should input the number of units instead of multiplying the units by 4? Or is what I am doing actually correct, and if that is the case what should I put down for the number of credit hours for 8 units?

Thank you in advance!!

Edit: The same question goes for classes I took that were 6 units, and some of my graduate classes had even higher units. Do I just max it out at 20 credit hours?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I took one genetic course and it also has a discussion as a 1-unit course. How do I classify the discussion? I picked "Lecture Only", but I was not sure

1. I took several pre-pharmacy prerequisite courses at a university during the summer of my junior and senior years of high school - how do I list these courses in my application? Is my class standing considered 'freshman'?

2. When entering course titles, should they be entered as they appear on one's transcript (ie: Foundatns/West Civ:Israel) or typed out completely as they would appear on a syllabus (ie: Humanities 1: The Foundations of Western Civilizations)?

1. I took several pre-pharmacy prerequisite courses at a university during the summer of my junior and senior years of high school - how do I list these courses in my application? Is my class standing considered 'freshman'?

2. When entering course titles, should they be entered as they appear on one's transcript (ie: Foundatns/West Civ:Israel) or typed out completely as they would appear on a syllabus (ie: Humanities 1: The Foundations of Western Civilizations)?

Class standing is based on # of completed hours once you start college courses. You are a freshman until you complete 30 hours, then sophomore until 60, and so on. You would list these classes just like any other class. As in select the year and term, then enter the information of the courses.
As for #2, I would just list stuff like your example as "The Foundations of Western Civilizations." Really the title does not matter a ton as long as it properly describes the class. This is due to the requirement for the course ID, which is what will be used to identify any courses they need to.