*~*Official 2011-2012 PharmCAS Thread!*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im applying on this next app cycle and am in the process of getting people to write my LORs. If for some reason I do not get accepted this cycle, will be LORs remain on my pharmcas profile or do I need to have them sent again next cycle?

Thanks

Everything get wipe clean so you have to get LORs again.

Members don't see this ad.

yep everything will be gone and you'll have to send lors again

Just as a reminder, everyone!

The 2011-2012 PharmCAS Application cycle closes on April 1, 2012. PharmCAS will no longer accept letters of reference, transcripts, or test scores. You will have until April 15, 2012 to login to your application and print a copy for your records. After that, you will no longer have access to your 2011-2012 application.

Applicants who have not yet submitted their application by April 1 and want to reapply will be required to create a new application for the 2012-2013 application cycle. All other applicants who have submitted and paid for their applications for the 2011-2012 cycle will have the opportunity to update their application and reapply in the 2012-2013 application cycle. If you have submitted your application but are missing the required payment, you will have the option to create a new application for the 2012-2013 application cycle, but will not be allowed to update your 2011-2012 application. Updated 2011-2012 applications and new 2012-2013 applications will be assessed the same application fees which will be announced in early June 2012.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 2011-2012 PharmCAS Application cycle closes on April 1, 2012. PharmCAS will no longer accept letters of reference, transcripts, or test scores.

The entire PharmCAS application process is still a bit foreign to me. Why would PharmCAS still allow changes until April 1st if the last institutional application deadline was March 1?

Under "designations" it says " 3/12/2012 Revised". Was this the date that my academic update was sent? Thank you.

Does anyone know if the PharmCAS if going to "open" up again, in June??

I'm taking the PCAT July 19th, and went to PharmCAS to register, but I don't see anywhere to CREATE a NEW account? It only LETS you log in?

so I'm assuming they will open it up again for the fall 2013 admission candidates sometime in June?

I just wanted to verify because if I missed any deadlines I would cry :(

I'm going to be taking the test july 19th and applying this summer/fall so I need to submit my information via PharmCAS to get to my schools before the deadline.

First, good job being prepared & ahead of the game. :thumbup:

Yes, PharmCAS opens for the 2012-2013 application cycle in June. Right now, they've just barely closed the previous application cycle. Don't worry, if you put PharmCAS as one of the recipient schools for your PCAT, PharmCAS will get your scores. Just go into PharmCAS once it opens & put your PCAT ID so they can match 'em up.

You may find this thread helpful in terms of timing from previous cycles. I'm pretty sure no application deadlines are before end of August / early September (and even that's early decision only).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822915

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything.

So I registered for the PCAT in July already, but I didn't put any score recipients on there. I'm wondering if there is anyway that I could edit the score recipients option. I just logged on to the website but couldn't find the option to edit :(

Call them. I spoke to someone when I was registering and they said it is possible to change your mind or go back later and add more.

Does anyone know if the PharmCAS if going to "open" up again, in June??

I'm taking the PCAT July 19th, and went to PharmCAS to register, but I don't see anywhere to CREATE a NEW account? It only LETS you log in?

so I'm assuming they will open it up again for the fall 2013 admission candidates sometime in June?

I just wanted to verify because if I missed any deadlines I would cry :(

I'm going to be taking the test july 19th and applying this summer/fall so I need to submit my information via PharmCAS to get to my schools before the deadline.

First, good job being prepared & ahead of the game. :thumbup:

Yes, PharmCAS opens for the 2012-2013 application cycle in June. Right now, they've just barely closed the previous application cycle. Don't worry, if you put PharmCAS as one of the recipient schools for your PCAT, PharmCAS will get your scores. Just go into PharmCAS once it opens & put your PCAT ID so they can match 'em up.

You may find this thread helpful in terms of timing from previous cycles. I'm pretty sure no application deadlines are before end of August / early September (and even that's early decision only).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=822915

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread or anything.

So I registered for the PCAT in July already, but I didn't put any score recipients on there. I'm wondering if there is anyway that I could edit the score recipients option. I just logged on to the website but couldn't find the option to edit :(

Call them. I spoke to someone when I was registering and they said it is possible to change your mind or go back later and add more.

Merging with the PharmCAS thread. :)

Apply in June and put them as planned. Some schools use rolling admissions, so you want to get your application to them ASAP.

You also want to get started early to get your LOR in. Some professor take awhile. You cant send your app off without those. Give a few weeks for your professor to write those as well. One of mine only did it on paper so took a little longer to get that one uploaded to my app.

Are you able to put in extra words? Let's say they want 750 and your essay is 800. Would that be totally unacceptable?

If the limit is 750, why would you expect to be able to enter more than that? Besides, pharmcas goes by characters.

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmCAS cuts you off from typing once you hit the character limit, so definitely be concise when entering your extracurricular info and essay.

4500 characters is all you get in PharmCAS.

Special characters count as more - for example ampersand is 4 characters (I believe) because the form translates it as "&amp." Found this out in the EC section where you only have 150 char. :eek:

Are you able to put in extra words? Let's say they want 750 and your essay is 800. Would that be totally unacceptable?

If the limit is 750, why would you expect to be able to enter more than that? Besides, pharmcas goes by characters.

PharmCAS cuts you off from typing once you hit the character limit, so definitely be concise when entering your extracurricular info and essay.

4500 characters is all you get in PharmCAS.

Special characters count as more - for example ampersand is 4 characters (I believe) because the form translates it as "&amp." Found this out in the EC section where you only have 150 char. :eek:

Merging with the PharmCAS thread. :cool:

Yup. Get those transcripts and LORs in asap so that once you're ready to eSubmit, everything is good to go! That will get your app to schools the quickest way possible.

I am not sure whether my professors are in the school or not when the cycle launches on June 3rd. So, do my professors only start writing the reference letters when the cycle begins and I have an account in Pharmcas?

Thank you

I am not sure whether my professors are in the school or not when the cycle launches on June 3rd. So, do my professors only start writing the reference letters when the cycle begins and I have an account in Pharmcas?

Thank you

Well, they can write the letter now, but they're going to have to submit after the cycle starts. They can either send it electronically (which is wayyy easier & quicker - and they're probably accustomed to electronic LoRs) or they can send it on paper (in which case you'll have to print out the evaluation form that includes a app-specific barcode anyway).

Summer is usually a lower workload for profs, unless they're on vacation. Ask 'em while you're still in session, then e-mail them when the cycle starts.

Something to chew on: if you still need to take the PCAT, the earliest testing dates are in July & your scores won't get to PharmCAS until late August / early September anyway. I would get your profs started as early as possible, but your app won't be complete at any PharmCAS schools until then.

Everything get wipe clean so you have to get LORs again.

http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/reapplicants.htm
If your application to PharmCAS was MAILED to your pharmacy designations last cycle, you are eligible to have your application information imported to the new cycle. Please click the reapplicant link on the login page to proceed with creating a reapplicant account. DO NOT CLICK "CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT" ON THE HOME PAGE. If youbegan to fill out an application last year but never submitted it, PharmCAS can NOT carry over any information that was not submitted last cycle. You will have to create a new account and resubmit all information.

This will be available in early June when the application opens again for the 2012-2013 cycle.

Your login information can remain the same. Please note that you will be assigned a new PharmCAS ID# and the barcodes on your transcript and reference request forms will be new. All Applicant Information, Academic History, Additional Information will be carried over. PCAT scores received last cycle will also be carried over. Most application fields and verified transcripts (transcripts containing coursework calculated into your GPA last cycle by PharmCAS staff) will be imported into the new application. Once the import is complete, IT IS THE APPLICANT'S RESPONSIBILTY TO GO OVER ALL IMPORTED INFORMATION AND ENSURE IT IS COMPLETE AND ACCURATE.

Letters of recommendation, personal essays, payments, and transcripts containing updated coursework will NOT be carried over and must be resubmitted The purpose for submitting new recommendations and a new personal statement is so that applicants can show how they have grown and developed professionally from the previous application cycle. You are strongly encouraged to avoid submitting the same personal statement and recommendations from the previous application cycle.

In addition, there are fields on the PharmCAS application which have changed or been added since last cycle which will NOT be filled in by the import. Applicants will have to go over ALL sections of the application and ensure these new sections are filled in, as it will not necessarily be readily apparent from your application checklist that something is missing if the field is not required.

Last edited:
Does Pharmcas have a section for listing any challenges you've had (educational, academic, socio-economic, etc)?

Does Pharmcas have a section for listing any challenges you've had (educational, academic, socio-economic, etc)?

Not that I remember. Usually, those issues can further explained in supplemental applications.

Hi all,

I'm in a situation where my professor for research can't write my letter until July 1st due to grants/proposals. But I want to get my application in as soon as possible. Do I need to have all my letters on pharmcas by the time I submit my application!?

Thank you!

When I signed up for the PCAT, I did not select pharmcas as a recipient of grades. At the time I did not know this and I selected three schools.

How can I change this? Is it too late, is there any thing else I can do?

Hi all,

I'm in a situation where my professor for research can't write my letter until July 1st due to grants/proposals. But I want to get my application in as soon as possible. Do I need to have all my letters on pharmcas by the time I submit my application!?

Thank you!

No, you don't have to wait. You can submit your application to PharmCAS before all of your letters of reference have been received. Remember that it can take a few weeks for PharmCAS to verify all of your coursework against your transcripts that you send in, so you have some leeway there. Once your application is verified, though, they will not hold back the application if you don't have one of your references. If they do send it before the letter is received, though, PharmCAS will send an update once they have received it. You can read about this in the PharmCAS instructions on Page 42 here: http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf Good luck!

When I signed up for the PCAT, I did not select pharmcas as a recipient of grades. At the time I did not know this and I selected three schools.

I did the same thing last year when I took the PCAT, and spoke directly to Pearson about this. Are the schools that you selected PharmCAS schools? If so, Pearson will send your PCAT scores to PharmCAS. If not, I was told that once you receive your scores, you can request to have them sent to PharmCAS, but there is a fee involved. I can tell you, though, that they did send my scores to PharmCAS without me selecting it specifically.

It's not too late. I did this last cycle too. EIther call them or do it online. There is another fee you have to pay now though. It isn't that expensive.

Oh okay. Thank you! Also, do you think its okay for Professor's to co-sign with another individual? say a coordinator for a project involved as well? I'm thinking about asking my professor if it would be easier for him just to co-sign with someone just because he's so busy...but is that rude? I feel like that's kinda demanding...and pushy...What do you guys think?

Hey guys I am officially done with the hassle and sleepless nights of waiting for an acceptance. I will give you my background stats and am here to advice anyone who needs help.

First of all when I first came on Sdn I used to be freaked out because everyone miraculously has a 90percentile PCAT score. I scored on my first trial last July in the 50s then in Sept in the late 60s (completely because I sucked at reading comprehension everything else was upper 70s and 80s). My gpa is 3.18. Pharmacy volunteer experience and I work currently. My LORs were pretty solid two from professors and one from my boss at a healthcare agency. I spent months perfecting my personal statement because I believe that's their first impression of you.

So I sent my pharmcas application early November to 15 schools everything went through by December but to cut the long story short I got interviews for 11 schools interviewed at D'youville and Notre Dame got accepted to both :). So I'm saying ladies and gentlemen anything is possible. If you need any advice I am absolutely here to help in whatever way I can. :)

Thank you for this info! This definitely makes me excited for this process. Congratulations and good luck! :)

I did the same thing last year when I took the PCAT, and spoke directly to Pearson about this. Are the schools that you selected PharmCAS schools? If so, Pearson will send your PCAT scores to PharmCAS. If not, I was told that once you receive your scores, you can request to have them sent to PharmCAS, but there is a fee involved. I can tell you, though, that they did send my scores to PharmCAS without me selecting it specifically.

It's not too late. I did this last cycle too. EIther call them or do it online. There is another fee you have to pay now though. It isn't that expensive.

Merging with the PharmCAS thread. :)

Hi all,

Thank you!

No, you don't have to wait. You can submit your application to PharmCAS before all of your letters of reference have been received. Remember that it can take a few weeks for PharmCAS to verify all of your coursework against your transcripts that you send in, so you have some leeway there. Once your application is verified, though, they will not hold back the application if you don't have one of your references. If they do send it before the letter is received, though, PharmCAS will send an update once they have received it. You can read about this in the PharmCAS instructions on Page 42 here: http://www.pharmcas.org/docs/Instructions201112.pdf Good luck!

Oh okay. Thank you! Also, do you think its okay for Professor's to co-sign with another individual? say a coordinator for a project involved as well? I'm thinking about asking my professor if it would be easier for him just to co-sign with someone just because he's so busy...but is that rude? I feel like that's kinda demanding...and pushy...What do you guys think?

Also merging with PharmCAS thread. FWIW, szetok, I really think early July is waaay ahead of schedule. Even if your transcripts are there by that point, I think you're still going to be waiting on grade verification, and the LoR isn't going to hold you up at all. I wouldn't make an issue where there is none.

I'm trying to calculate my cumulative GPA and ran into a problem. I am a recent college graduate but back in high school i took a trigonometry class at a local community college and was just wondering if that class gets calculated into my total GPA? If it matters, I also attended this same community college after high school and transferred after 2 years... Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this issue!

also... is there some kind of calculator or something online that can help me figure out my cumulative GPA... im just so confused on what actually gets factored into this figure... considering I have grades coming from a couple different places. Thanks again!

Pharm-Cas will have you submit the grade from every college level class you have taken. It will then calculate a GPA for you. Most schools use Pharm-Cas, so I am sure you will need to use it.

hmm is trig considered a college level course? i mean i took it back in highschool as a junior... and i didnt do to well. it would only be a disadvantage for the course to be figured into my gpa... :(

If you took the course at a CC then it is on your transcript.

I'm trying to calculate my cumulative GPA and ran into a problem. I am a recent college graduate but back in high school i took a trigonometry class at a local community college and was just wondering if that class gets calculated into my total GPA? If it matters, I also attended this same community college after high school and transferred after 2 years... Thanks in advance for shedding some light on this issue!

also... is there some kind of calculator or something online that can help me figure out my cumulative GPA... im just so confused on what actually gets factored into this figure... considering I have grades coming from a couple different places. Thanks again!

Pharm-Cas will have you submit the grade from every college level class you have taken. It will then calculate a GPA for you. Most schools use Pharm-Cas, so I am sure you will need to use it.

hmm is trig considered a college level course? i mean i took it back in highschool as a junior... and i didnt do to well. it would only be a disadvantage for the course to be figured into my gpa... :(

If you took the course at a CC then it is on your transcript.

Let move this to the PharmCAS thread.

Not if you took it in high school. It's considered a college course if you took it at a College/University.

Can I put an IM sport champion as an award on PharmCAS?

Also, do people specify how much their scholarship was for, or just state the name of the scholarship received?

Thank you :)

Crazy new changes to pharmcas

Ok there are two differences i noticed?!

1. There is now a "Special Life Circumstances" box under personal data? NO idea whether I should fill this out.

2. There is now an additional "institution degrees" box under college attended.

These are
new sections!

1. There is now a "Special Life Circumstances" box under personal data? NO idea whether I should fill this out.

I was wondering the same thing. Is it because a lot of people put special life circumstances in their personal statements that they now want to separate them?

I was wondering the same thing. Is it because a lot of people put special life circumstances in their personal statements that they now want to separate them?

Ugh no idea. but it looks like a place for lots of excuses for poor grades...we will see. I've been through a lot, but I don't think I've been through enough to put anything down on here... ugh. They don't even put a limit on HOW special the circumstance is....

Hi everyone!

This is my first time using Phamcas, and I'm a little confused about the application process. Hope anyone here could give me an advice.

So, to use one PhamCAS application for multiple school, in the "Pharmacy Desingations", I just choose one of all school I want to apply. After e-submit the application to that school, I log in to submitted PharmCAS application to add additional pharmacy school designations. Is that right?

For each additional school, do I have to log in and out every single time? Because I tried to check all my school choices at once time, but a warning window popup and it announces about some kind of policy that allows me apply only one school per time. :confused:

Hi everyone!

This is my first time using Phamcas, and I'm a little confused about the application process. Hope anyone here could give me an advice.

So, to use one PhamCAS application for multiple school, in the "Pharmacy Desingations", I just choose one of all school I want to apply. After e-submit the application to that school, I log in to submitted PharmCAS application to add additional pharmacy school designations. Is that right?

For each additional school, do I have to log in and out every single time? Because I tried to check all my school choices at once time, but a warning window popup and it announces about some kind of policy that allows me apply only one school per time. :confused:

This looks like a cool place to ask this question. :thumbup:

@owlegrad: thank a lot. I have no idea where I'm supposed to post it. I'm new here too ^^

If I have worked over 10,000 hours in the pharmacy, should I enter "999" under "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience" since this is the maximum they will allow me to input?

Hi everyone!

:welcome:
Hi I'm Chinese too! I speak mandarin.