Official 2013-2014 GI fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

i agree
Only Uni of NM is the one which needs a letter indicating the reason u chose them

Members don't see this ad.

2nd time applying.

Based on my last season experience, I applied everywhere, got 7 calls including one from my own program which did not count since they do not take internal candidates. Most programs have 2-3 spots, most of the spots go to internal candidates, so you will basically be interviewing along with other 30 candidates for 1 spot!

I am an IMG, green card.
Good USMLE scores.
Residency from a big uni program ranked among the top 10 in GI.
Good LORs.
5 research projects (2 publications, 4 posters).

I noticed 2 factors matter:
1. Connections- huuuuuuge
2. Being a chief resident.

In my program, most of the fellows have 000000 research experience, its all about connections.

iv/rejections will start probably next week based on last year experience, until the mid of sept.

Good luck for everyone with this hard choice!!

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd time applying.

Based on my last season experience, I applied everywhere, got 7 calls including one from my own program which did not count since they do not take internal candidates. Most programs have 2-3 spots, most of the spots go to internal candidates, so you will basically be interviewing along with other 30 candidates for 1 spot!

I am an IMG, green card.
Good USMLE scores.
Good LORs.

In my program, most of the fellows have 000000 research experience, its all about connections.

iv/rejections will start probably next week based on last year experience, until the mid of sept.

Hehe. I like your name. It describes our chances (IMGs) very well.

I had thought that your credentials would have given you an "easy ticket" to a fellowship spot... but what happened to you has proven me wrong. This fellowship is really an extremely hard one to get into.

2nd time applying.

I am an IMG, green card.
Good USMLE scores.
Good LORs.

Do you need visa? I am wondering if they rejected everyone who need visa.

Got rejected from there to, dont need visa so thats not only it. Keep strong guys/gals.

I think there is something wrong with my ERAS message center. I check it 58 times a day, but there are no invites. I will email technical support.

how can you tell if a program has downloaded your application?

also, I applied to so many programs and haven't check each one's website to see if they need a supplemental app. I know Stanford has one and UCSF sent a survey monkey to fill out. Hopkins you have to email them for it, but i don't see that UCLA needs one on the website?

Members don't see this ad :)
US citizen
College Princeton, masters in statistics and public health from U Michigan, Med School Mayo (AOA, honored everything), Internal med Yale with year as chief
Step 1 273, Step 2 270, Step 3 259
18 publications in GI (10 first author), 7 poster presentations, 10 DDW abstracts, 3 CME presentations
Uncle is VP of marketing at Olympus
Applied to 80 programs

Chances? . . . Some fools are always trying to skate up hill . . .

US citizen
College Princeton, masters in statistics and public health from U Michigan, Med School Mayo (AOA, honored everything), Internal med Yale with year as chief
18 publications in GI (10 first author), 7 poster presentations, 10 DDW abstracts, 3 CME presentations
Applied to 80 programs

that step 3 is gonna hurt you.

US citizen
Applied to 80 programs

Are you serious with those credentials. And you still applied to all those programs!!!

US citizen
Applied to 80 programs

If any of that is true, you're a d*ck.

Wow it's only flattering you think my credentials aren't legit. I suggest you hate the player AND the game. I applied to 80 programs because I had the $ to spare.

Best of luck,
Wesleysniper :cool:

Maybe there should really be 2 threads one for AMGs and the other for IMG/FMG as these are two different groups of applicants with different statistical info!

this thread has become garbage.

Maybe there should really be 2 threads one for AMGs and the other for IMG/FMG as these are two different groups of applicants with different statistical info!

this thread has become garbage.

Hey, I'm an AMG - I don't want to be left out.

my friend just got an IV from Loyola yesterday, nothing for me yet

I am a graduate of a community hospital, finish a fourth year chief, and applying for GI. So far no interviews. I got only one rejection from Univ of Virginia. Green card holder. I am getting anxious now as I am not getting any replies at all, not even rejections.

I am a graduate of a community hospital, finish a fourth year chief, and applying for GI. So far no interviews. I got only one rejection from Univ of Virginia. Green card holder. I am getting anxious now as I am not getting any replies at all, not even rejections.

I haven't received any rejections or invites yet. Not even from UVA. I think most of the people are in the boat. Don't worry.

the vast majority of us have not heard anything. to early to worry. stay positive, they will come.

Thanks for your support. It is just I have a low score of 195 in step 3, which will mean that I will not have a good chance anyway. I hope that I am wrong, and the interviews are coming next week

Thanks for your support. It is just I have a low score of 195 in step 3, which will mean that I will not have a good chance anyway. I hope that I am wrong, and the interviews are coming next week

Relative to the overall application, USMLE scores are barely emphasized during fellowship consideration.

Relative to the overall application, USMLE scores are barely emphasized during fellowship consideration.

Every program is different but it's true that Step scores are less of an issue for fellowship than residency. That said, my (non-GI) fellowship program does use step scores as an initial screen (but it's pretty low and any Step over that number will get you through) and they count for about 10% of a semi-quantitative ranking system.

BUT...the one thing we do take into account is the trend in Step scores. If your 195 is matched with a 205 and a 210 on the others, well...that's just how you do. If your scores are 240 --> 215 --> 195 then we consider that you've either decided not to learn anything after your M2 year or that you really don't have a good handle on clinical medicine which is what we care about more than anything. And that does have a likelihood of harming your app.

was expecting there to be some invites for applicants:cool: these last two days. seems as next week will be the week.

Question regarding USMLE scores-

I am an IMG with 250+ scores on step 1 and step 2 CK but an attempt on step 2 CS. Will this ruin my chances of garnering any interviews at all? Rest of my application is decent- 6 pubs, 18 posters and oral presentations, strong letters, University residency program.

Folks

It is still too early to panic. Based on last year cycle, we might start hearing from programs next week, but do not expect it to be very active. August to mid of spet are the real deal.

Let us try to make this forum beneficial please!

Few tips:
- If you are from the east coast, then do not expect anything from the Midwest and vice versa. Same applies to the west coast and south.
- If you are a chief resident, then you should match regardless.
- You will most likely match in to your own program, so put a lot of efforts and pressure on your own people. As I mentioned before, each program has 1-2-3 spots, most of them or all are for internal candidates. Each program invites 25-40 applicants; the ratio is ~ 30 applicants for a spot.
- Make sure to have a back up plan. If you are still a resident, try to like another sub specialty as a back up for next year match. Specially if you are an IMG. This is something I might do next year.
- You will not hear anything from 50% of the programs if not more.
- Read between lines. For example, you might get a call from a program adjacent to a big program, and then you most likely won't match there because that small programs will get filled by applicants who were dumped from the other close by big programs. Example: Assume you get a call from metro-health in Cleveland, then do not be so excited because it will be filled by applicants from Cleveland clinic or case-W.
- Matching at small programs is very very hard in general. Those programs have 1-2 spots, they are barely enough for their internal applicants and even for previous internal applicants who are in line waiting.
- Females have slightly better chances than males. With all my respect to my female colleagues.
- Those tips are based on my and my friends experiences from previous seasons.
- Finally, I am not trying to be negative or make you feel bad, but everyone should be prepared for the reality. If you questioning my words, then check the stats from last year match, specially for IMGs. I am trying to make this forum beneficial instead of only asking: What are you credentials, where did you apply! and those useless subjects and questions.

Good luck for everyone from my heart.

Folks

It is still too early to panic. Based on last year cycle, we might start hearing from programs next week, but do not expect it to be very active. August to mid of spet are the real deal.
Good Advice.

Let us try to make this forum beneficial please!
OK...go for it.

Few tips:
Just...wow
- If you are from the east coast, then do not expect anything from the Midwest and vice versa. Same applies to the west coast and south.
No
Wrong...your chances may be better, but there are no guarantees for anybody.
- You will most likely match in to your own program, so put a lot of efforts and pressure on your own people. As I mentioned before, each program has 1-2-3 spots, most of them or all are for internal candidates. Each program invites 25-40 applicants; the ratio is ~ 30 applicants for a spot.
Nope
- Make sure to have a back up plan. If you are still a resident, try to like another sub specialty as a back up for next year match. Specially if you are an IMG. This is something I might do next year.
Very good advice. The good news is that a hospitalist, PCP or UC job will be relatively easy to find.
Really? I can count on 1 finger the number of programs I didn't hear from.
- Read between lines. For example, you might get a call from a program adjacent to a big program, and then you most likely won't match there because that small programs will get filled by applicants who were dumped from the other close by big programs. Example: Assume you get a call from metro-health in Cleveland, then do not be so excited because it will be filled by applicants from Cleveland clinic or case-W.
This is just weird
- Matching at small programs is very very hard in general. Those programs have 1-2 spots, they are barely enough for their internal applicants and even for previous internal applicants who are in line waiting.
True...but that's just math.
- Females have slightly better chances than males. With all my respect to my female colleagues.
I'm not even going near that one. Good luck with the ladies man.

- Finally, I am not trying to be negative or make you feel bad, but everyone should be prepared for the reality. If you questioning my words, then check the stats from last year match, specially for IMGs. I am trying to make this forum beneficial instead of only asking: What are you credentials, where did you apply! and those useless subjects and questions.

Good luck for everyone from my heart.
You're not being negative. But I'm not sure how helpful you're being either. Your advice is a mixture of good, bad and irrelevant (with a trend toward the latter two).

I respect your partial disagreement, but this what I observed clearly last match.

Most programs I interviewed at last year invited ~ 25-40 applicants according to their coordinators/secretaries. Simple calculation lets assume that a program has 2 spots. Most likely a spot will go for an internal candidate, the rest is self explanatory.

I applied to 110 programs last year, about 50% did not respond at all, and actually around 5-10 programs have not downloaded the application!

My program director told me that they never invited candidates from far away regions 'unless there is a connection', his explanation was that those candidates won't rank them high and it might become risky, something I disagree with.

I might be exaggerating the chief resident thing, but trust me, it matters a lot. People in charge view it as a medal of honor.

I wish all my female colleagues the best, knowing that I like programs with mixture of females/males, IMGs/AMGs, etc.

And by the way, how about if you give us some tips and advises!

I'll start with proper grammar. The plural form of the noun advice is...advice. Advise is a verb and not to be used in that context.

we're all really impressed with your mastery of the english language. that was helpful. thank you.

thanks to those giving their opinions and tips. not everyone will agree with what is said on here, but that shouldn't dissuade anyone from posting their take on things. let's be respectful of each other and keep it positive, and not use the veil of anonymity of the internet to act out of character. we are all doctors right?

you stay classy san diego.

we're all really impressed with your mastery of the english language. that was helpful. thank you.

thanks to those giving their opinions and tips. not everyone will agree with what is said on here, but that shouldn't dissuade anyone from posting their take on things. let's be respectful of each other and keep it positive, and not use the veil of anonymity of the internet to act out of character. we are all doctors right?

you stay classy san diego.

I've never strove to be classy...or respectful.

I've never strove to be classy...or respectful.

i should have been more clear. only the top line, thanking you for your helpful response, was meant for you. the rest was for everyone else. that must have been confusing for you. i'm sorry.

i should have been more clear. only the top line, thanking you for your helpful response, was meant for you. the rest was for everyone else. that must have been confusing for you. i'm sorry.

oh, you mean the sarcasm? thank you for the clarification. I do take grammar very seriously.

Is regional bias that farfetched? I too encountered some regional bias when applying for fellowship several years ago, as did my eventual co-fellows. The quality of invites drops a bit outside your home region. This probably exists at every level from academic to community programs. That said, the bias is not insurmountable. A fair number of friends matched at distant programs.

Sadly this is not too far from the truth. I had 30-40% no-reply rate also, even at my own medical school alma mater (different from where I did residency).

Over exaggerated, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Beats a year of non-accredited training eg. nutrition or motility.

Is regional bias that farfetched? I too encountered some regional bias when applying for fellowship several years ago, as did my eventual co-fellows. The quality of invites drops a bit outside your home region. This probably exists at every level from academic to community programs. That said, the bias is not insurmountable. A fair number of friends matched at distant programs.

Sadly this is not too far from the truth. I had 30-40% no-reply rate also, even at my own medical school alma mater (different from where I did residency).

Over exaggerated, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Beats a year of non-accredited training eg. nutrition or motility.

Does the US News Reports rankings for best GI hospitals correlate at all with Fellowship Training?? Can you comment on the best training programs. E.g. how would the Top 30 in the US News Best hospital list rank as training programs. I see lot of good programs missing like UTSW, UAB, UIowa, UMinn etc. A faculty point of view would be insightful.

Does the US News Reports rankings for best GI hospitals correlate at all with Fellowship Training?? Can you comment on the best training programs. E.g. how would the Top 30 in the US News Best hospital list rank as training programs. I see lot of good programs missing like UTSW, UAB, UIowa, UMinn etc. A faculty point of view would be insightful.

Hmm just looked at the US News rankings. Funny enough it's not that terrible of a list of renowned GI divisions. The top 10 listed are all well known, as are most in the top 30. There are a few private hospitals that I don't know much about.

That said, being renowned does not always equate suitable training for the individual. More so than internal medicine residency I think you have to be true to yourself and your goals when selecting fellowships in any specialty. The top names may not have high scope volumes and many offer negligible ERCP/EUS training (in favor of training advanced endoscopy fellows), but in exchange you will be exposed to more complex patients. Top names may also give you plenty of protected research time and may even incorporate paid MPH/PhD coursework into standard fellowship years. GI fellowship is 3 years no matter what; choosing a scope-heavy program means you may sacrifice other things (eg. research, cognitive clinical GI/hepatology), and vice versa. Whether or not that is suitable for you is a very individual decision.

I will get off my soapbox now.

Happy to comment on any academic GI programs with which I am familiar. Of the one you listed I know only UTSW. I believe they have high clinical/procedural volume, but does have advanced endoscopy fellowship so I am not sure if standard GI fellows are exposed to these procedures. Excellent hepatology faculty and research being done there. Smaller liver transplant program historically, as Baylor Dallas is in town and they have good volume.

Last edited:
INV: 0
REJ: UVA (07/24), University of Washington (07/29)

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.