Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bananafish94's Emotions vs. Time
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 4.51.46 PM.png

June: Man, I've got a great GPA and I've been involved in so much! My MCAT might hold me back a little but this is gonna be a great year!
July: Better submit these secondaries!
August: Haha, what do you mean you have an interview already, co-worker who has never volunteered and wants to be a doctor to make a lot of money?
September: Hmm, shouldn't I have received an interview...somewhere...by now?
October: Congratulations on your acceptance! Oh, me? Well, no news is good news! Perhaps I should succumb to my baser urges and join SDN.
November: Lord help me, what did I do wrong? If I don't get an interview by Thanksgiving it's all over. My high school biology teacher was right about me the whole time.
Early December: If I die and go to medical school as a cadaver, does it count?
Late December: Praise be, my first interview! The only time in my life I have legitimately cried of happiness. I would get two more in the next week! A true Christmas miracle.
Early January: These interviews weren't nearly as stressful as everyone said they would be! I have a good feeling about this.
Late January: Two waitlists in rapid succession. Is it something I said?
Early February: Wow, I love UIC. I really hope they let me in. Thankfully my interview went well!
Late February: Alright, I've done four interviews and haven't heard from two of them. The odds are decent!
March: Why won't you just tell me if I got in?
April: Is it the 30th yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 22 users
Members don't see this ad :)
View attachment 202805
June: Man, I've got a great GPA and I've been involved in so much! My MCAT might hold me back a little but this is gonna be a great year!
August: Haha, what do you mean you have an interview already, co-worker who has never volunteered and wants to be a doctor to make a lot of money?
October: Congratulations on your acceptance! Oh, me? Well, no news is good news! Perhaps I should succumb to my baser urges and join SDN.
November: Lord help me, what did I do wrong? If I don't get an interview by Thanksgiving it's all over. My high school biology teacher was right about me the whole time.
Late December: Praise be, my first interview! The only time in my life I have legitimately cried of happiness. I would get two more in the next week! A true Christmas miracle.
Early January: These interviews weren't nearly as stressful as everyone said they would be! I have a good feeling about this.
Early February: Wow, I love UIC. I really hope they let me in. Thankfully my interview went well!
Late February: Alright, I've done four interviews and haven't heard from two of them. The odds are decent!
They should accept you just based on presenting your effort in this scientific manner! Among the four waitlists, something will happen for you, I promise! *Hugs*

Reactions: 4 users
@mavric1298 unrelated but does it not make you uncomfortable to post so much identifying info about yourself on the web? makes me anxious just thinking about it lol

View attachment 202805

about the same for me too

View attachment 202805
Your commentary on August is too real

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
View attachment 202805
I only had 1 interview and got waitlisted as well. I have hope and so should you Banana :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Head up banana, there are those of us using the R word because we truly didn't get a single interview. (Just had a quick meeting with my premed advisor again - and she again said she was "shocked" I didn't get any love). They can say holistic apps all the want - but literally the only deficiency on my app is my AMCAS gpa from classes 10+) years ago. I got some real BS feedback in the feedback sessions I've been able to get - IE "you didn't have enough upper level science classes for us". Uhhhh I just finished my 6th upper level bio with a 3.9 average in all of them including 4.0s in molecular bio and advanced cell bio (my major is molecular, cellular, develop bio) from one of the top bio/microm programs in the country. Or another who clearly didn't read past the first couple sentences of my PS (they talked about how I said I wanted to go into med because my fathers a physician. My entire PS is about how I specifically avoided med for my first career because I didn't just want to "follow in his footsteps" and only at the age of 26 did I discover my own passion for it)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ur personal statement may have been an issue...

I think it's pretty clear that his GPA is the issue. Obviously he is not actually a 3.0 student but the trick is getting schools to actually look at the application.

ok his personal statement is ALSO an issue..." My entire PS is about how I specifically avoided med for my first career because I didn't just want to "follow in his footsteps" and only at the age of 26 did I discover my own passion for it" I could see how this kind of personal statement could rub some adcoms the wrong way...it doesn't explain why he wants to become a physician

ok his personal statement is ALSO an issue..." My entire PS is about how I specifically avoided med for my first career because I didn't just want to "follow in his footsteps" and only at the age of 26 did I discover my own passion for it" I could see how this kind of personal statement could rub some adcoms the wrong way...it doesn't explain why he wants to become a physician
Well...it does explain that he discovered his own passion for it at 26, so would seem to explain his path to medicine? I'm sure he elaborated on it more than this brief synopsis. I don't mean to say that his PS is definitely flawless, but saying that someone with a 3.0 GPA isn't getting interviews because of his personal statement is like recommending an oil change to somebody with four flat tires.

SDN is so funny....where did I mention his gpa? I said Also...His personal statement comes off as immature...he should change it.

You didn't mention his GPA, which is my point, because it's obviously what's holding his application back despite not being an accurate reflection of his current academic performance. And how do you know that his personal statement is immature if you didn't read it?!

You didn't mention his GPA, which is my point, because it's obviously what's holding his application back despite not being an accurate reflection of his current academic performance. And how do you know that his personal statement is immature if you didn't read it?!

Bc it was already mentioned.... What? I nvr said his personal statement was the sole reason. R u reading? Ur obviously picking a fight for no reason. It's my opinion on the matter and I'm not changing it. His personal statement is not good if that's what he discussed.

Up until just recently, this thread has been resoundingly positive despite the topic. It would be great if we could keep it that way.

Anyone have anything positive to report?

I'm still hanging on Rosy's waitlist, but just signed up for a mentor/mentee program with a former alum at my school to go over my app/resume to help guide a future application cycle and my gap year. Graduation is pending and I think I'm right at the crux of academic honors (crossing fingers). And I'm inquiring about research opportunities at my current school.

Reactions: 8 users
Up until just recently, this thread has been resoundingly positive despite the topic. It would be great if we could keep it that way.

Anyone have anything positive to report?

I'm still hanging on Rosy's waitlist, but just signed up for a mentor/mentee program with a former alum at my school to go over my app/resume to help guide a future application cycle and my gap year. Graduation is pending and I think I'm right at the crux of academic honors (crossing fingers). And I'm inquiring about research opportunities at my current school.
i agree, i love the positivity of this thread! i'm still on cooper's waitlist and holding out hope. i'm thinking if i don't hear by mid-may i'm going to talk to them about applying early decision. i have many reasons for wanting to go there and it's my top choice. and their ED timeline isn't bad, they let you know if you're getting an interview by august and if you get an interview, they let you know if you get in by the first week of september. so that wouldn't put me at being terribly late if i pre-write other secondaries. just a thought, but i'm leaning towards doing that

Reactions: 1 user
On Rosalind Franklin's waitlist and waiting to hear from UIC--I should hear from them this week. Very scared.

Helloooo Monday. Here's to receiving good news within the next week!

Reactions: 11 users

I was actually considering doing something similar, starting off with how I never wanted to be a doctor, and my pre-med advisor (who is actually very helpful) and the professors who were editing my PS told me that that was a bad idea. So I agree, the PS might have been a slight problem.

I was actually considering doing something similar, starting off with how I never wanted to be a doctor, and my pre-med advisor (who is actually very helpful) and the professors who were editing my PS told me that that was a bad idea. So I agree, the PS might have been a slight problem.
If that's the case, how would you go about explaining why you chose a completely different path, and are turning to medicine later on in life?

Edit: perhaps saying you never wanted to be a doctor probably isn't great though...

On Rosalind Franklin's waitlist and waiting to hear from UIC--I should hear from them this week. Very scared.

Bananafish94, you are my favorite fish, so I say this with heart... I know it's nerve-wracking, but no matter what happens, everything will work out. Not everything goes how we earnestly want, but even the worst situation in this case, say you, I, don't get in, we can seek out more opportunities for things that will make us kick-a@@ physicians. Not just app checking boxes stuff. We actually come back stronger.

My dad used to sing me the Stones... "You can't always get what you want.... but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need."

In those extra non-trad years, I've been through soooooo much schtuff, that I know it's true.

Challenge builds character and I've been told I'm quite a character. :p So are you. I can tell. You've got this!

Reactions: 7 users
If that's the case, how would you go about explaining why you chose a completely different path, and are turning to medicine later on in life?

Edit: perhaps saying you never wanted to be a doctor probably isn't great though...

Exactly! If you are applying for a job, would you tell them you never wanted to do the job bc it was you're dad's path?? Lol no! That was my point. I hope he changes it.

Bananafish94, you are my favorite fish, so I say this with heart... I know it's nerve-wracking, but no matter what happens, everything will work out. Not everything goes how we earnestly want, but even the worst situation in this case, say you, I, don't get in, we can seek out more opportunities for things that will make us kick-a@@ physicians. Not just app checking boxes stuff. We actually come back stronger.

My dad used to sing me the Stones... "You can't always get what you want.... but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need."

In those extra non-trad years, I've been through soooooo much schtuff, that I know it's true.

Challenge builds character and I've been told I'm quite a character. :p So are you. I can tell. You've got this!
Thank you, I needed to hear that. I know I joke on here a lot, but it's really remarkably hard. I put all of myself into this. Even since I was a freshman, I've told myself that if I don't get into medical school it won't be because I didn't try hard enough, and I still believe that. I just don't know what to think anymore. There's really not anything I would change. I have no regrets, I did everything I could--it just wasn't quite enough.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you, I needed to hear that. I know I joke on here a lot, but it's really remarkably hard. I put all of myself into this. Even since I was a freshman, I've told myself that if I don't get into medical school it won't be because I didn't try hard enough, and I still believe that. I just don't know what to think anymore. There's really not anything I would change. I have no regrets, I did everything I could--it just wasn't quite enough.

This isn't the end, though. I can't make any promises, but my guess is that you have a lot more years in you to keep going.

I don't believe that if people didn't get in, it's because they didn't try hard enough. Look around you. There are more qualified, fab people than seats. All of them just can't get in, in a given year.

Look, we are competing at a hyper-neurosis-inducing crazy high level. When only 35ish percent of people in the US attain their Bachelors, we are complaining about not being in top 20 schools and not getting into medical schools that eventually only 1-4% of the applicants end up matriculating to.... Amongst those applicants, being the best of the best of their classes. Cum laude, magna and summa cum laude graduates abound, research publishers, much of which are top 25% of the MCAT pool with hundreds of hours + of clinical and other hours of community service attainment, with personal statements that adcoms can relate to... inevitably having other stuff going on in our lives. And still pushing forward and putting on a sparkly interview smile and remaining humble despite everything we've accomplished. And crazily enough, some of us might not be able to check off all of these, but some or many. And there's not room for all of us. The establishment doesn't have room for all of that achievement.

Seriously. You worked hard enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Leave it to the preallo forum, but....funny the way people read into thing however they want... people that actually read my PS thought it was great, including an adcom for UCSF that gave me feedback and reviewed it for me (I didn't apply there), but based on a 1 line synopsis go ahead and read into it what you will. My PS was about explaining WHY i switched careers from something most people would consider a dream job, and why I wanted to become a physician, and how I'm so much more committed to it because I know myself now so much better then when I was 18-early 20's. It was just a part of it that I was explaining I found medicine for my own reason, not just because I was following in my dads footsteps. Directly from admissions at my state school; "If you switch careers we want to know why you won't just switch again". I do find it funny people judging my PS based on a synopsis I wrote on my phone that was one sentence and was just getting the point across that one school clearly didn't even read my statement - which the person giving me feedback realized as well....

To add to that, I'm not gonna lie and say I always wanted to be a doctor. It's just not true - I actually thought I didn't want to do it for the reasons previously stated. But through my life, and growing as a person, and exploring the world, what makes me happy, what I find important in life, etc - I've discovered my passion for it. I'm going to be genuine to myself and who I am - and if I get asked in an interview why medicine or why I switched careers, I'm going to be honest. Just because I didn't want to be a Dr. when I was 18 has no bearing on who I am at 30, and what I want to do with the rest of my life.

And I'm the type of person that doesn't care if in real life people know my stats anyway - and I don't publish any of my personal info info on here - if someone were so inclined to stalk me enough to figure out who I am in real life - I make sure if I write something on SDN, that it is something I'd be willing to say in real life. Stats are stat

And to keep things positive - got all my letters updated already, and shadowing a DO at our facility starting this week who I know well through work, and they agreed to write a DO LOR. This cycle is going to be so much easier to get everything in without rushing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Too an extent your feelings are true. I had to apply 3x before finally gaining an acceptance. I messed up my first year of undergrad and was advised to apply even though I had a sub-par GPA and wasnt accepted anywhere. I worked for a year doing research and went to get my MS. I applied after the first year of my MS program bc I had finished all of the course work and got 5 waitlists, no acceptances. My third and final effort after finishing my MS thesis and working for another year I finally got in. Not much changed for me between the second and third applications except some more work experience and maybe a better PS. Keep working hard and your breaks will come

Leave it to the preallo forum, but....funny the way people read into thing however they want... people that actually read my PS thought it was great, including an adcom for UCSF that gave me feedback and reviewed it for me (I didn't apply there), but based on a 1 line synopsis go ahead and read into it what you will. My PS was about explaining WHY i switched careers from something most people would consider a dream job, and why I wanted to become a physician, and how I'm so much more committed to it because I know myself now so much better then when I was 18-early 20's. It was just a part of it that I was explaining I found medicine for my own reason, not just because I was following in my dads footsteps. Directly from admissions at my state school; "If you switch careers we want to know why you won't just switch again". I do find it funny people judging my PS based on a synopsis I wrote on my phone that was one sentence and was just getting the point across that one school clearly didn't even read my statement - which the person giving me feedback realized as well....

To add to that, I'm not gonna lie and say I always wanted to be a doctor. It's just not true - I actually thought I didn't want to do it for the reasons previously stated. But through my life, and growing as a person, and exploring the world, what makes me happy, what I find important in life, etc - I've discovered my passion for it. I'm going to be genuine to myself and who I am - and if I get asked in an interview why medicine or why I switched careers, I'm going to be honest. Just because I didn't want to be a Dr. when I was 18 has no bearing on who I am at 30, and what I want to do with the rest of my life.

And I'm the type of person that doesn't care if in real life people know my stats anyway - and I don't publish any of my personal info info on here - if someone were so inclined to stalk me enough to figure out who I am in real life - I make sure if I write something on SDN, that it is something I'd be willing to say in real life. Stats are stat

And to keep things positive - got all my letters updated already, and shadowing a DO at our facility starting this week who I know well through work, and they agreed to write a DO LOR. This cycle is going to be so much easier to get everything in without rushing!

Have read/edited 40+ personal statements for this cycle and it has shown me that you literally can write about anything you want for your personal statement, as long as you write well and don't sound arrogant and/or incompetent. Plenty of people included some form of "justification" like a storyline about how they wanted to be an EMT but shifted gears so that they could do more for people, or about how they matured throughout college and became more focused on grades and professional goals. As long as they sounded confident, and as if they were explaining something as opposed to being defensive, I didn't have a problem with what they wrote. Personal statements should be about your personal journey, and it sounds like you wrote about that. It's impossible to judge a statement based on content alone from one sentence, unless it's something wildly inappropriate or off-the wall delusional/crazy. It doesn't sound like your personal statement would be an issue based on that synopsis alone, and especially not if an adcom read through it for you.

So NJMS just sent me three consecutive rejection letters..guess they really wanted me to get the message..

Edit: make that 4

Reactions: 12 users
So NJMS just sent me three consecutive rejection letters..guess they really wanted me to get the message..

Edit: make that 4
+1 I actually laughed when I checked my email. Not only do they title the email simply 'Regret' but then they send me 4 in the span of minutes :hilarious:
Capture.JPG

Maybe they really want to emphasize their regret lol

Reactions: 14 users
**did I hit send? I can't remember, I'll press it again 2 more times** or maybe it was a hasty **please do not hit the back button...click**

"Dear Applicants,

Due to a technical error within the system, you likely received your regret email multiple times. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused.
We have notified AMCAS of the issue and we are hopeful that you don't receive this email multiple times.

Sincerely,
NJMS Office of Admissions
"

Dear NJMS Office of Admissions,

Thanks for a good laugh to start off my Monday. :hilarious:

Sincerely,
rukia013

(but seriously, at this point of the cycle I have come to terms with the event that things don't work out :))

Reactions: 12 users
This isn't the end, though. I can't make any promises, but my guess is that you have a lot more years in you to keep going.

I don't believe that if people didn't get in, it's because they didn't try hard enough. Look around you. There are more qualified, fab people than seats. All of them just can't get in, in a given year.

Look, we are competing at a hyper-neurosis-inducing crazy high level. When only 35ish percent of people in the US attain their Bachelors, we are complaining about not being in top 20 schools and not getting into medical schools that eventually only 1-4% of the applicants end up matriculating to.... Amongst those applicants, being the best of the best of their classes. Cum laude, magna and summa cum laude graduates abound, research publishers, much of which are top 25% of the MCAT pool with hundreds of hours + of clinical and other hours of community service attainment, with personal statements that adcoms can relate to... inevitably having other stuff going on in our lives. And still pushing forward and putting on a sparkly interview smile and remaining humble despite everything we've accomplished. And crazily enough, some of us might not be able to check off all of these, but some or many. And there's not room for all of us. The establishment doesn't have room for all of that achievement.

Seriously. You worked hard enough.
Right. There's a huge surplus of qualified people.
The unfortunate fact of the matter is that I will simply never be what the medical schools really want. I'm never going to be the person who gets a 97th percentile MCAT or Step 1 score. I'm never going to be person who leaps off the page with a fascinating life journey. I'm just a normal guy who has worked extremely hard, has a lot of passion, and what I like to believe is a compelling reason to enter medicine. I'm not a superstar and I never will be. This is fine because I'm happy with who I am and I can graduate college knowing that I never stopped fighting to do everything I can to get in. Hopefully one day a school decides to take a chance on me. I really do believe that I would be a good medical student and doctor. But until then I guess I just have to do more.

Reactions: 2 users
Right. There's a huge surplus of qualified people.
The unfortunate fact of the matter is that I will simply never be what the medical schools really want. I'm never going to be the person who gets a 97th percentile MCAT or Step 1 score. I'm never going to be person who leaps off the page with a fascinating life journey. I'm just a normal guy who has worked extremely hard, has a lot of passion, and what I like to believe is a compelling reason to enter medicine. I'm not a superstar and I never will be. This is fine because I'm happy with who I am and I can graduate college knowing that I never stopped fighting to do everything I can to get in. Hopefully one day a school decides to take a chance on me. I really do believe that I would be a good medical student and doctor. But until then I guess I just have to do more.

I think you're selling yourself very short. You're enough to have gotten their attention amongst all that I wrote.

At a few schools at least.

Last edited:
@bananafish94 it's not a race, it's a journey. You have plenty of time to get yourself in and become a doctor and you will make it happen. I really do know the feeling, and you will make it if you persevere. If you keep working on it, your chances will only improve. Plus, this cycle isn't over and it only takes the one school to make this all right.

And don't forget, you are not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
This made me laugh the other day. A bit disturbing..there is actually a mini- movie this was just the trailer. Good luck in the weeks ahead guys!!

Reactions: 11 users
This made me laugh the other day. A bit disturbing..there is actually a mini- movie this was just the trailer. Good luck in the weeks ahead guys!!

Link? I might actually watch that hahaha

While we "wait" I found a girl from the last cycle who documented her journey. She took 3 MCAT's started at a 26 and had just filled out her 3rd amcas. She didnt do everything perfect but she finally got in... apparently perfect enough for one school. She still is posting as an M1. This is her Accepted video.

Reactions: 5 users
@bananafish94 it's not a race, it's a journey. You have plenty of time to get yourself in and become a doctor and you will make it happen. I really do know the feeling, and you will make it if you persevere. If you keep working on it, your chances will only improve. Plus, this cycle isn't over and it only takes the one school to make this all right.

And don't forget, you are not alone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Maybe. I tend to cling to hope too much--it's a fault of mine. I just really want to know if they are going to reject me. Because of the way my mind works, there's an enormous difference between a 1% and a 0% chance at acceptance.

Maybe. I tend to cling to hope too much--it's a fault of mine. I just really want to know if they are going to reject me. Because of the way my mind works, there's an enormous difference between a 1% and a 0% chance at acceptance.
Are you preparing for a reapp by any chance?

Also, just a mini rant: to the schools who still haven't sent me anything at all since I submitted my application: why? Who wins here? We paid an awful lot of money and quite frankly I find it extremely disrespectful.

Reactions: 13 users