Official 2015-2016 Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tough decision. Do you want the sure thing now or potential for a better deal later?

Members don't see this ad.

the problem is the IR residencies I want to rank are considered the top notch IR programs in the country so idk if there is a better deal its really a lesser deal with potential to be the same in the future if I can match into a good fellowship in the future but gives me the option of traveling the country and see whats out here in the US and new experiences

Sorry to derail the thread and get back to the topic at hand :p

Applicant type: Senior in a US allopathic medical school
USMLE Step 1 score: High 240s
USMLE Step 2CK score: Low 250s
Number of research experiences: 2, 1 during med school
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 2; 1 article was a first author pub
Number of work experiences: 0
Number of volunteer experiences: 1 during med school
AOA: yes
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: yes
PhD: no
Other graduate degree: no

My top 4 (i.e. the ones that I had the hardest time sorting out):
  1. UT-Houston
  2. UTSW
  3. UVA
  4. Emory

Notes: Obviously some geographical bias; I primarily applied to the south/southwest and interviewed there as well. To future rads applicants, you will be surprised (for better or for worse) how much "location" and "gut feeling" play into your rank lists. If I was going strictly by curricula, call schedules, fellowship placement, etc, I'd probably be splitting hairs.

Would love to see other people's rank lists! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
He said he was a DO applicant. The stigma is unfortunate and hopefully will change in the future.

I agree the stigma is unfortunate, but is the fact that certain programs selectively exclude DO applicants part of that point of view?

I don't believe it should be. Considering that DO applicants typically (mostly) entered medical school with lower credentials (sometimes notably lower), why would it be expected that they would be considered in the same pool as an equally strong MD applicant who required significantly more/higher credentials?

I, by no means, mean to offend any DOs or to undermine the degree. I work at a hospital currently 75% DO driven, and I have enormous respect for their knowledge - and do not think any less of any of my colleagues' competencies.

However, aside from those who elect to go to DO school because of a true love and dedication to the principles of osteopathic medicine, most will agree that most DO applicants went to DO school as a result of not being able to get into MD school. Thus, why I do not think this is an unfair system.

I agree the stigma is unfortunate, but is the fact that certain programs selectively exclude DO applicants part of that point of view?

I don't believe it should be. Considering that DO applicants typically (mostly) entered medical school with lower credentials (sometimes notably lower), why would it be expected that they would be considered in the same pool as an equally strong MD applicant who required significantly more/higher credentials?

I, by no means, mean to offend any DOs or to undermine the degree. I work at a hospital currently 75% DO driven, and I have enormous respect for their knowledge - and do not think any less of any of my colleagues' competencies.

However, aside from those who elect to go to DO school because of a true love and dedication to the principles of osteopathic medicine, most will agree that most DO applicants went to DO school as a result of not being able to get into MD school. Thus, why I do not think this is an unfair system.

Because that's judging someone on what they did BEFORE medical school instead of what they did DURING medical school...which is really the only thing that should matter. You're basically saying that since some MD got a 3.9/4.0 with his/her psych degree in undergrad but just did average/below average in med school that they are STILL more qualified for MEDICINE than a DO who was top of the class/high boards/etc. Everyone should be judged on "what they did lately."

I'll accept your premise and just say that not everyone has their crap together at 18-20 years of age or had parents/relatives to guide them.

As a resident, I recommend 3 things to consider for finding a residency program that will keep you happy during the 4 to 5 years of training.

1. Go to a non-malignant program.
2. Go to a generous program.
3. Go to a nice city.

As a resident, I recommend 3 things to consider for finding a residency program that will keep you happy during the 4 to 5 years of training.

1. Go to a non-malignant program.
2. Go to a generous program.
3. Go to a nice city.

How do you go about finding #1? (non-malignant)? On interview day, everyone always puts up a good facade, so it's sometimes difficult to tell. Are there certain programs with reputations?

You have to talk to residents that you know about their friends' programs. Residents that you know will not tell the complete truth about their own program but are more willing to tell you about what their friends are going through. For example, I have a lot of friends in other programs and I see their complaining over texts or Google chats all the time.

Because that's judging someone on what they did BEFORE medical school instead of what they did DURING medical school...which is really the only thing that should matter. You're basically saying that since some MD got a 3.9/4.0 with his/her psych degree in undergrad but just did average/below average in med school that they are STILL more qualified for MEDICINE than a DO who was top of the class/high boards/etc. Everyone should be judged on "what they did lately."

I'll accept your premise and just say that not everyone has their crap together at 18-20 years of age or had parents/relatives to guide them.

I agree with you that the situation you highlighted should be treated in a different manner. But my comments were in respect to the top tier programs...who are not interviewing those mediocre medical school performers.

I agree with you that the situation you highlighted should be treated in a different manner. But my comments were in respect to the top tier programs...who are not interviewing those mediocre medical school performers.

Fair enough.

Well, you have to consider that you guys have your residencies that only you guys can apply to. How is that fair?

Also if everyone should be judged on what they did lately, what's the point of going to a top tier med school?

Well, you have to consider that you guys have your residencies that only you guys can apply to. How is that fair?

Also if everyone should be judged on what they did lately, what's the point of going to a top tier med school?

The merger will eliminate the fact that we have our own residencies so that's gone now. There weren't a lot of subspecialty spots either.

The point of going to a top tier school is that they provide more resources and a higher chance at success. Honestly if you can get succeed from a "lesser" school then it should be more impressive, no?

Nvm

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Derp

Last edited:
Please take your MD vs DO discussion to PMs. SDN doesn't need any more of that. For god's sake, this was actually turning out to be a good thread!

Here's my effort to get this thread back to it's original purpose...

Applicant type: MS4 at US MD school
USMLE Step 1 score: 230s
USMLE Step 2CK score: 240s
Number of research experiences: 3 including undergrad
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 2
Number of work experiences: 1 prior to med school
Number of volunteer experiences: 1
AOA: no
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: I don't think so

Rank list:
1. UNC
2. Wake forest
3. Vanderbilt
4. UT-Houston
5. MUSC
6. The rest

I'd be happy pretty much anywhere in my top 5. Match Day can't come soon enough!! :)

Applicant type: Senior at US allopathic medical school
USMLE Step 1 score: 240s
Number of research experiences: 2
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 1
Number of work experiences: multiple
Number of volunteer experiences: multiple in college
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: no

Rank list:
Northwestern
MCW
Henry Ford
Rush
Mich State
Wayne State
UPMC
Indiana

1. USC
2. UC Irvine
3. UC Davis
4. Cedars Sinai
5. Kaiser LA
6. Loma Linda
7. Harbor UCLA
8. Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital

Stats: from a top 50 US MD school, step 1 in high 220s, step 2 in 260s, minor research. Obviously wanting to be in California for residency

USMLE Step 1 score: 240s
Number of research experiences: 2
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 1
Number of work experiences: multiple
Number of volunteer experiences: multiple in college
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: no

Rank list:
Northwestern
MCW
Henry Ford
Rush
Mich State
Wayne State
UPMC
Indiana
Weird list. I presume you have geographic restraints.

1. Stanford
2. UCSF
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. BWH
6. Hopkins
7. NYU
8. Duke
9. UW
10. Cornell
11. UCSD
12. MIR
13. Michigan

Stats: from a top 50 US MD school, step 1 > 250, step 2 > 250, minor research

Why stanford over MGH and UCSF? Just wondering? Congrats on having so many great places.

Weird list. I presume you have geographic restraints.

Yeah I am pretty restrained in terms of geography for my rank list (husband, family, other personal factors) - I literally only applied to places in certain areas. That's why my rank list looks kind of funky haha.

1. Stanford
2. UCSF
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. BWH
6. Hopkins
7. NYU
8. Duke
9. UW
10. Cornell
11. UCSD
12. MIR
13. Michigan

How about third year grades? Thanks.

USMLE Step 1 score: mid 230
USMLE Step 2CK score: mid 230
Number of research experiences: not really
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 1 case report/presentation
Number of work experiences: n/a
Number of volunteer experiences: n/a
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: I think so? Don't know where my school is ranked
Other graduate degree: Masters

1) Brown
2) Boston Univ
3) Mt Auburn
4) UMass
5) Tufts
6) through 13)... I'm hoping it doesn't get to that

Molecular imaging research? Informatics?
I'm not the person who has that rank list, but what's the point of asking about an individual's career aspirations on an anonymous forum? It seems like you know Stanford's strengths pretty well anyways.

I'm not the person who has that rank list, but what's the point of asking about an individual's career aspirations on an anonymous forum? It seems like you know Stanford's strengths pretty well anyways.

I asked the original question of why stanford over the other two. I asked because I thought it was unusual compared to what I'm doing and what others around me are doing.

If you are good enough to get that many elite interviews, you can be successful no matter where you go. Why Stanford over MGH and UCSF? Because that's what they want and they have the self confidence to know that they don't need that name on their resume to get where they want to be.

If you are good enough to get that many elite interviews, you can be successful no matter where you go. Why Stanford over MGH and UCSF? Because that's what they want and they have the self confidence to know that they don't need that name on their resume to get where they want to be.

I never said anything about name. No one is dumb enough to think of Stanford as inferior.

Stanford and UCSF are in the same region so I assume it wasn't completely geographical.

Not sure why people are getting butthurt about questions, seems like that would be an obvious extension of this thread.

Hahaha someone is bitter.

Don't overthink it. Some people just like Stanford better than UCSF. There doesn't have to be a reason. This whole process is totally subjective anyways. Nobody is pressing you to explain why you came up with a different rank list. We all have our own goals and priorities.

I interviewed at all 3 places actually. Loved UCSF, liked Stanford ok, and didn't really care for MGH, but I would never question anyone for having a different opinion of these programs or ranking them differently.

You can ask a question out of genuine curiosity. Not everyone takes it as a personal attack.

I know someone who ranked UPMC and Mayo over places like Hopkins, MGH and Penn after receiving a ranked to match call/email from two of those places. Didn't even bother applying to Stanford and UCSF. I have no doubt this individual will be a great radiologist. Not everyone uses prestige as their primary determinant.

Don't overthink it. Some people just like Stanford better than UCSF. There doesn't have to be a reason. This whole process is totally subjective anyways. Nobody is pressing you to explain why you came up with a different rank list. We all have our own goals and priorities.

It is sometimes helpful and eye-opening to hear another perspective on why someone considered school A vs B vs C - their reasons may give you food for thought that you previously didn't consider in your own rankings. Future radiology applicants will also see this thread and get some ideas on the various factors applicants are considering as well.

I didn't interview at UCSF and Stanford like you other SDNers, but here goes:

1) UAB
2) MUSC
3) UF
4) Ochsner
5) LSU
6) Tulane
7) Baptist Birmingham
8) Univ S Alabama
9) Univ of Mississippi
10) Baptist Memphis

Advice to M4's and below: enjoy the interview process! And don't forget that they aren't interviewing you only - YOU are interviewing THEM. Don't be bashful about asking others for advice throughout the process too. This is your life and future career - take control over it!

Reactions: 1 user

What if we share the same career aspirations or values but don't know it? What if I don't know all of Stanford's strengths?

Please articulate! Maybe we can be buddies.

Where is everyone's rank list? I'm sure most of you have it more or less finalized by this point.

1- Montefiore
2- Beth Israel NYC
3- North Shore/LIJ
4- Maimonides
5- NYMC Westchester
6- Staten Island North Shore/LIJ
7- Lenox Hill
8- Jacobi/Albert Einstein
9- Harlem Hospital
10- Winthrop
11- Norwalk
12- Albert Einstein Philadelphia

Stats/info: Looking to stay in the NE. Not AOA, step1 = 230+, step2 = 240+, one pub, one submitted

Thought it would be nice to start up this thread for people who want to anonymously post their rank lists :) I will start it off:

UCLA
Stanford
UCSF
UCSD
BWH
Penn
Hopkins
MIR

I had a similar rank list a couple years ago ranking UCLA above both Stanford and UCSF and the main reason was to stay in SoCal and practice there in the future. Step 1/2: 250s/270s, AOA, multiple pubs.

I had a similar rank list a couple years ago ranking UCLA above both Stanford and UCSF and the main reason was to stay in SoCal and practice there in the future. Step 1/2: 250s/270s, AOA, multiple pubs.

If you want to eventually settle in SoCal, it is a very reasonable move. Most private practices in SoCal hire the graduates of local programs. Most jobs don't get advertised.

260s step 1 and 2, AOA, no radiology research, some good extracurriculars, and couples matching

1. Mich IR
2. UVA IR
3. Hopkins DR
4. Mich DR
5. MUSC
6. UAB
7. UNC
8. UVA DR
9. Emory
10. Florida
11. Baylor

12-17: Jackson Memorial, UPMC, Wisconsin, Maryland, UIC, Cincinnati

Here's my effort to get this thread back to it's original purpose...

Applicant type: MS4 at US MD school
USMLE Step 1 score: 230s
Number of research experiences: 3 including undergrad
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 2
Number of work experiences: 1 prior to med school
Number of volunteer experiences: 1
AOA: no
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: I don't think so

Rank list:
1. UNC
2. Wake forest
3. Vanderbilt
4. UT-Houston
5. MUSC
6. The rest

I'd be happy pretty much anywhere in my top 5. Match Day can't come soon enough!! :)
UNC is such a nice program! Congrats on the interview. Hope you match there!

1. Stanford
2. UCSF
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. BWH
6. Hopkins
7. NYU
8. Duke
9. UW
10. Cornell
11. UCSD
12. MIR
13. Michigan

I also ranked Stanford #1. I was wondering if 1) you had sent any letter to them and if 2) you had received any response from them. Thanks!! :-D Good luck with match... I'm certain you'll get your first choice with that list!