Official 2015-2016 Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Michigan
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. MIR
5. Duke
6. Stanford
7. Mayo
8. Northwestern
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. UWash
12. Minnesota
13. Emory
14. Iowa

Members don't see this ad.

1. Michigan
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. MIR
5. Duke
6. Stanford
7. Mayo
8. Northwestern
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. UWash
12. Minnesota
13. Emory
14. Iowa

Nice list! Curious about the reasons you ranked UWash at 11.... seems to be a highly coveted program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you very much - I hope so too! (fingers crossed) Did you happen to interview there? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Yup. I enjoyed the interview there. The program director Dr. Jordan was pretty awesome and very kind. The other faculty members like Dr. Langman were amazing as well. The hospital facilities are nice - I loved their new cancer center! If you're interested in IR, it's also the place to be since Dr. Mauro (an RSNA chairman) is there, and a recommendation from him would take you far. The Triangle area also seems to be very beautiful and affordable. Buying a condo or home would be a reality.

1. Michigan
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. MIR
5. Duke
6. Stanford
7. Mayo
8. Northwestern
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. UWash
12. Minnesota
13. Emory
14. Iowa

Your top 5 are exactly my top five from 2 years ago if you reverse MGH and Hopkins. I'm at Michigan now. Good luck :)

Nice list! Curious about the reasons you ranked UWash at 11.... seems to be a highly coveted program.

It was all about the vibe. I loved a lot of aspects of the program, especially Seattle, and the training is excellent. The PD is awesome and the chair of the department too. The residents just seemed tired and I wasn't too excited about being spread across so many hospitals. Plus with the whole unionization of residents of UWash ( the 15 dollar minimum wage in Seattle now, high demands from residents in other specialties who are there currently and make less than minimum wage basically, administrative resistance), I just wasn't sure the general UWash institution was one I wanted to be at. Once again - incredible program, just not the right vibe for me. And my vibe may not be right. Just shows one day isn't enough to get a full picture of a program. Hope this helps!

It was all about the vibe. I loved a lot of aspects of the program, especially Seattle, and the training is excellent. The PD is awesome and the chair of the department too. The residents just seemed tired and I wasn't too excited about being spread across so many hospitals. Plus with the whole unionization of residents of UWash ( the 15 dollar minimum wage in Seattle now, high demands from residents in other specialties who are there currently and make less than minimum wage basically, administrative resistance), I just wasn't sure the general UWash institution was one I wanted to be at. Once again - incredible program, just not the right vibe for me. And my vibe may not be right. Just shows one day isn't enough to get a full picture of a program. Hope this helps!

I didn't apply here but I have been following the unionization thing and the hospitals arrogant response. I'm glad applicants are taking that into consideration.

any idea how far down their rank lists these schools usually go? ucsf ucla Stanford ucsd mgh penn

any idea how far down their rank lists these schools usually go? ucsf ucla Stanford ucsd mgh penn

I dont think anyone has that information other than maybe residents at those institutions, and even then it would vary year by year. In theory highly desired places would have to go less far down their list.

1. Michigan
2. Hopkins
3. MGH
4. MIR
5. Duke
6. Stanford
7. Mayo
8. Northwestern
9. Wisconsin
10. Indiana
11. UWash
12. Minnesota
13. Emory
14. Iowa

I have to admit I am always puzzled when I see rank lists like this. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I understand Michigan at the top if you want to be in the midwest, but then why rank MIR/Indiana/Mayo so much lower? It just seems like hodgepodge mix of geography and prestige that doesn't make any sense. I seriously doubt there are many people that have NO geographic preference to have a rank list where Stanford, Mayo and NW are right next to each other. Because cold, suburban, "formal" Mayo if very different from the hustle of downtown Chicago which is very different from the laid back suburban Norcal Stanford. Your lives outside the hospital at these places would be so different.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. I enjoyed the interview there. The program director Dr. Jordan was pretty awesome and very kind. The other faculty members like Dr. Langman were amazing as well. The hospital facilities are nice - I loved their new cancer center! If you're interested in IR, it's also the place to be since Dr. Mauro (an RSNA chairman) is there, and a recommendation from him would take you far. The Triangle area also seems to be very beautiful and affordable. Buying a condo or home would be a reality.

Yeah definitely - she seemed really cool and nice. I'm not sure

I liked UNC. Dr. Jordan is amazing and sounds like she is a great person to know for networking. I don't know about IR exposure as a resident though. The fellowship director is "protective" of his fellows doing procedures and residents mainly consulting and consenting. This may change though, but it's a shame how much volume and breadth they and residents not getting great experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
  1. UCSF
  2. Hopkins
  3. Penn
  4. BWH
  5. Michigan
  6. Duke
  7. Emory
  8. Northwestern
  9. UTSW
  10. Washington
  11. Wisconsin

Just out of curiosity, what did you like about Vanderbilt? The location, the people?, specific strengths?

Combination of both people and location. Felt like I could in fit better with the residents/PD/chair than at some of the more academic places like Duke or UVA. Thought the location was better than some of the smaller towns. Also just got a general vibe that it's a program on the rise.

I'm not really seeking an academic career so I didn't consider research strengths very much, but there did seem to be a lot of opportunities for basic science work based on their tour.

Combination of both people and location. Felt like I could in fit better with the residents/PD/chair than at some of the more academic places like Duke or UVA. Thought the location was better than some of the smaller towns. Also just got a general vibe that it's a program on the rise.

I'm not really seeking an academic career so I didn't consider research strengths very much, but there did seem to be a lot of opportunities for basic science work based on their tour.

Thanks. I appreciate your response. I felt similarly about Vanderbilt.

Is this a joke? Seems like a perfectly reasonable placement of those programs, given the caliber of his/her numbers 1-6
Not a joke, I actually thought UTSW and Nw had more to offer than Emory so I ranked them higher. Wanted to know if someone else noticed something in their program that I didn't.

Their list almost exactly correspond to the doximity rankings which has Emory>NW>UTSW. Not saying that dox is a great resource, but certainly suggests at least a fair % of people regard Emory higher than those other two. All three are great programs.

All the rank lists in this thread are fakes. Ignore them all.

Last edited:
BWH
MGH
UCSD
UCLA
Hopkins
Duke
NYU
Jefferson
others

Stats:
Step 1: 250s
Top 10 school
Female

Last edited:
I also ranked Stanford #1. I was wondering if 1) you had sent any letter to them and if 2) you had received any response from them. Thanks!! :-D Good luck with match... I'm certain you'll get your first choice with that list!

Nope, didn't hear anything from Stanford about my rank :(

JHU
UCLA
MGH
Duke
Emory
Columbia
BID
TJ
Michigan

Some research experience, no publications/posters
AOA

Good luck everyone!!

All the rank lists in this thread are fakes. Ignore them all.

Why would you say that? My personal list is 1) MGH (Minnesota General Hospital), 2) BWH (Birmingham West Hospital), 3) MIR (Maine Institute of Radiology), 4) JHU (Jackson Hole University). Step exams just above 300, but only a few first author pubs.

Why would you say that? My personal list is 1) MGH (Minnesota General Hospital), 2) BWH (Birmingham West Hospital), 3) MIR (Maine Institute of Radiology), 4) JHU (Jackson Hole University). Step exams just above 300, but only a few first author pubs.
Lol

I am from the Northeast and am interested in an academic career. I also weighed social life into my decision.

Columbia
UCSD
Mt. Sinai
BID
UNC
Emory
Brown
Pennsy
BU
BI-NY
Vermont
CCF
Montefiore
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Tufts
St. Luke's-Roosevelt
University of Rochester
University of Massachusetts
Maine Medical Center

I went on too many interviews. Step 1: 220s. Step 2: 230s. Not AOA. GHHS. Top 30 med school. Multiple publications, much research.

Last edited:
Current rank list. Don't really want to be in CA and Bay Area is very expensive. One resident at either ucsf/stanford complained about barely getting by R1 year due to costs. Friends and family are in the Southwest, southwest and east coast. Interested in academics/research. Might move Stanford higher over Rush since Chicago can be super cold in the winter. Very sure of my top 2. Have a few more hours to mull.

Penn
NYU
UPMC
Emory
UCSF
Montefiore/Einstein
Mt Sinai (Icahn)
UTSW
Rush
Stanford
BIDMC
BWH
UMaryland
Penn State

Did anyone weigh in cities' dating potential? I weighed it to some extent, given my sexual orientation and desire to meet a partner.

Did anyone weigh in cities' dating potential? I weighed it to some extent, given my sexual orientation and desire to meet a partner.

I didn't personally, but I have two classmates (one doing ob/gyn, the other peds) who definitely factored that in their rank list.

Current rank list. Don't really want to be in CA and Bay Area is very expensive. One resident at either ucsf/stanford complained about barely getting by R1 year due to costs. Friends and family are in the Southwest, southwest and east coast. Interested in academics/research. Might move Stanford higher over Rush since Chicago can be super cold in the winter. Very sure of my top 2. Have a few more hours to mull.

Penn
NYU
UPMC
Emory
UCSF
Montefiore/Einstein
Mt Sinai (Icahn)
UTSW
Rush
Stanford
BIDMC
BWH
UMaryland
Penn State

You think bay area is expensive. Have you lived in NYC?

I am not that poster, but NYC programs tend to have subsidized housing and moonlighting.

I am not that poster, but NYC programs tend to have subsidized housing and moonlighting.

I felt like almost every program I went to had some form of moonlighting... really only difference was how easy or hard it was to get as an R1. Also subsidized housing at the NY programs I went to was still expensive. Other programs tend to offer a housing stipend instead of a subsidized housing unit if cost of living is high.

Really,I tended to feel like you get what you pay for overall (not necessary the apartment/house itself but the housing/location combo), so if you want to live in a great city, it costs more and your place might be smaller. Don't mind being in a smaller city or in a less desirable location... you get the idea. That being said I'm not raising a family or anything so it makes this matter less and what is considered "desirable" is relative.

Brown definitely took the cake for moonlighting - some of the residents there double their salaries and pay off their student loans during residency b/c of the lax laws in RI, and there's more than enough to go around.

Did anybody else have the experience of not really paying attention to the detailed notes you took during interviews or really pouring over the folders? I made a list a month ago based on my gut and the only thing that changed between then and now is dropping one program two slots because it was categorical and I had originally underestimated how much I want to stay where I am for prelim year.

I looked over the detailed notes of stipends, vacation, etc, etc... but at the end of the day my gut guided me and the few places that I thought were dope enough to put up near the top but might have not cut geographic muster for my girlfriend and I were penalized accordingly. I didn't move anything around because they had better benefits. Maybe that'll come back and bite me in the ass... Who knows.

Did anybody else have the experience of not really paying attention to the detailed notes you took during interviews or really pouring over the folders? I made a list a month ago based on my gut and the only thing that changed between then and now is dropping one program two slots because it was categorical and I had originally underestimated how much I want to stay where I am for prelim year.

I looked over the detailed notes of stipends, vacation, etc, etc... but at the end of the day my gut guided me and the few places that I thought were dope enough to put up near the top but might have not cut geographic muster for my girlfriend and I were penalized accordingly. I didn't move anything around because they had better benefits. Maybe that'll come back and bite me in the ass... Who knows.

Hahaha yeah girlfriend and gut ended up being my strongest ranking criteria. My girlfriend seems unhappy with my 5-8 spots though, wish me luck.

As someone ranking mostly NYC programs, they amount, type, and availability of moonlighting varies greatly. Getting to moonlight as an R3/R4 isn't going to help you make your budget when you're a PGY2.

Brown definitely took the cake for moonlighting - some of the residents there double their salaries and pay off their student loans during residency b/c of the lax laws in RI, and there's more than enough to go around.

UPMC has crazy moonlighting as well. Didn't move them up any higher, but at least I'll live comfortably if I do match there.

UPMC has crazy moonlighting as well. Didn't move them up any higher, but at least I'll live comfortably if I do match there.

Yeah, I actually was a bit turned off by Brown simply because how much the residents I interacted with talked about how much cash they made. I know that probably makes no sense, but I'm going to residency for good training (Which, mind you, I felt Brown definitely has), not to spend all my hours moonlighting so I can buy a sports car.

US IMG. Step 1 - 240s. 3 research projects, no pubs. applied to every program except those in cali / NY

henry ford
beaumont
MCW
Grand Rapids / Michigan State
UMKC
Case-UH
Penn Hospital
WVU
etc

Cornell
BWH
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
BID
JHU

Stats: 250+ Step1, non AOA, USNews top 15 school.
Preference: NYC

1. Stanford
2. MIR
3. UCSD
4. Emory
5. Michigan
6. NYU
7. UChicago
8. BIDMC
9. Yale
10. Vanderbilt
11. UPMC
12. UTSW
13. Colorado
14. Mt. Sinai – Main Program
15. Wisconsin
16. Tufts
17. SLU
18. Case Western – UH
19. Henry Ford
20. West Virginia

Has anyone gotten any feedback from Stanford??!?!

Does it feel weird for anybody else that NRMP could theoretically tell us where we match now?

Last edited:
MUSC
Emory
UAB
Wake Forest
UTSW
Hopkins
UVA
MIR
UF-gainsville

Step 2: 260s
AOA
Minimal research

1. UMaryland
2. GWU
3. Georgetown
4. UPMC
5. UVA
6. Drexel
7. Hershey
8. Temple
9. Einstein (Philly)
10. EVMS

Stats: Step 1 = 230s, no AOA, no pubs. some research.