Official 2015-2016 Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. UCLA
2. MGH
3. JHU
4. USC
5. Cornell
6. U Washington
7. Emory
8. Columbia
9. MIR
10. Michigan
11. UC Irvine
12. U of Chicago
13. Mayo Rochester

Step 1: 250+
Step 2: 260+
AOA
All clinical honors except 1 near honors
2 Pubs, 3 research experiences
Non-Top 50 Medical school

Members don't see this ad.

1. Emory
2. Duke
3. UTSW
4. Wake
5. Vandy
6. UNC

Step1:260s
Step2:260s
no AOA
Top 40 school

1. BWH
2. Stanford
3. UCLA
4. UCSD
5. HUP
6. Hopkins
7. Cornell
8. BIDMC
9. Northwestern
10. MIR
11. Jefferson
12. UPMC
13. Mayo
14. Wisconsin

Step 1: 260s
Step 2: 270s
AOA: no
PhD: no
Top 40 school: yes

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we do a co-resident thread after Match Day? It might be fun to find out who they will be before our first day of residency.

Thanks for the fun ride guys. I'll post my list in the coming days. As someone who was making changes up until the last 10 minutes, no joke, I appreciate the company/insight/shared delusions.

Good luck to all. May the odds forever be in our favor.

good luck on the match to everyone. I made changes up until 4-6 minutes before deadline. Really only sure of ranks 1-5. Would prefer to be in my top 2 but will be happy overall.

Because I'm neurotic I ranked a lot... Good luck everyone.

Temple
Einstein-PA
Mt Sinai - BI
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
Rutgers-RWJ
UVM
NYMC
Penn State
Drexel
Downstate
Morristown
Baystate
Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Bryn Mawr
Allegheny GH
UMASS
Hartford
Rochester GH

STEP1 219
STEP2 230

**** if these are the stats when radiology is at a low point, I probably wouldnt have matched back in the day.

Applicant type: Senior in a US allopathic medical school
USMLE Step 1 score: 260s
USMLE Step 2CK score: 270s
Number of volunteer experiences: > 10
Number of work experiences: > 10
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 1
Number of research experiences: 4
AOA: yes
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: yes
PhD/graduate degree: no

1. Stanford
2. UCSF
3. MGH
4. Penn
5. BWH
6. Hopkins
7. NYU
8. Duke
9. UW
10. Cornell
11. UCSD
12. MIR
13. Michigan
14. Emory
15. Mayo

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
USMLE Step 1 score: 250s
USMLE Step 2CK score: 250s
Number of research experiences: 3
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 3
AOA: yes
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: no

Rank list:
1. Michigan
2. Indiana
3. MUSC
4. UVA
5. MIR
6. UNC
7. Iowa
8. Vermont
9. MCW
10. Wisconsin
11. U Chicago
12. UT Houston
13. Utah

It has been a good ride. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 250s
Didn't take Step 2 in time
Top 25 school
AOA

1. Wake Forest
2. UVA
3. Emory
4. Vandy
5. MUSC
6. Duke
7. Hopkins
8. Jefferson
9. UNC
10. VCU
11. Mayo Jax

USMLE Step 1 score: 230s
USMLE Step 2CK score: 230s
Number of research experiences: 6?
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: >15
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: yes

1) Cornell
2) UCLA
3) BWH
4) UW
5) UCSD
6) Stanford
7) UCSF
8) HUP
9) MIR
10) Duke
11) USC
12) Northwestern
13) Emory
14) Baylor
15) OHSU
16) UPMC
17) UT Houston

Good luck everyone!

1) Cornell
2) UCLA
3) BWH
4) UW
5) UCSD
6) Stanford
7) UCSF
8) HUP
9) MIR
10) Duke
11) USC
12) Northwestern
13) Emory
14) Baylor
15) OHSU
16) UPMC
17) UT Houston

Good luck everyone!
Impressive # of publications! Congrats

USMLE Step 2CK score: 240s
Number of research experiences: 5
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 5
AOA: No
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: Yes
PhD: No

(1) JHU
(2) MIR IR
(3) MIR DR
(4) BWH DR
(5) Michigan IR
(6) Michigan DR
(7) BWH IR
(8) Emory
(9) BIDMC
(10) Maryland
(11) UCSD
(12) Brown
(13) Mt. Sinai
(14) Indiana
(15) Yale

USMLE Step 1 score: 253
USMLE Step 2CK score: 268
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 9
Student/graduate of one of the 40 US medical schools with the highest NIH funding: Yes

1. UCSF
2. UCSD
3. UCLA
4. Stanford
5. Penn
6. NYU
7. MGH
8. Cornell
9. Emory
10. Wisconsin
11. BID
12. UVA
13. Wake
14. UPMC

I want to do academic neuroradiology and location played a pretty big role in my rankings.

Because I'm neurotic I ranked a lot... Good luck everyone.

Temple
Einstein-PA
Mt Sinai - BI
BU
Tufts
Stony Brook
Rutgers-RWJ
UVM
NYMC
Penn State
Drexel
Downstate
Morristown
Baystate
Winthrop
Lenox Hill
Bryn Mawr
Allegheny GH
UMASS
Hartford
Rochester GH

STEP1 219
STEP2 230

Not neurotic at all! You gotta do what ya gotta do. Refreshing to see someone getting all those interviews. A good example of perseverance on your part. A good counterexample to all the SDN peeps who act like it's 250+/straight honors or bust

Would love to hear what factor(s) played in strongly for all of your rank lists (whether you posted your list or not)! It'll hopefully give future applicants an idea of what sorts of things to consider and have a bigger picture prior to going into interviews.

Ultimately, it came down to location, "gut" feeling (which for me, I think had a lot to do with how I got along with the residents/staff and what I perceived the culture to be at the program), and significant other input.

Best of luck to everyone!

USMLE Step 1 score: 259
USMLE Step 2CK score: 250
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 3

Duke
Stanford
Cornell
Emory
UNC
UVA
MUSC
Vanderbilt
EVMS

USMLE Step 1 score: 245
USMLE Step 2CK score: 232
Number of abstracts, presentations, and publications: 2

MUSC
KU IR
MIR IR
KU DR
MIR DR
Baylor Dallas
UChicago
UColorado
Indiana
UMKC
Nebraska
Missouri

1) Cornell
2) UCLA
3) BWH
4) UW
5) UCSD
6) Stanford
7) UCSF
8) HUP
9) MIR
10) Duke
11) USC
12) Northwestern
13) Emory
14) Baylor
15) OHSU
16) UPMC
17) UT Houston

Good luck everyone!

Only an MS3 but your stats and research experience are very similar to mine (no step 2 yet). Am hoping to interview at a # of the places you ranked. Do you have any thoughts on what allowed you to get interviews at these places (e.g., UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, USC, Stanford)?

230s, 250s, AOA, non top 40, couples matching with IM

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Sinai
Jefferson
BWH
BIDMC
Montefiore
Sinai SLR
Sinai BI
Lenox Hill
LIJ
NYMC
Rutgers
Drexel
Temple
GW

MD/PhD?

Thats a beast level of research production.

No PhD but did take a year off to do research. I knew I was someone who wasn't good at standardized tests even before taking step 1, so started research early (fortunately got interested in radiology early on). I had a good amount of "low hanging fruit" projects, which I got pretty good at identifying after doing a couple that weren't haha. Also had a couple of high-risk, high-reward projects that fortunately panned out well.

As for the MS3 asking for advice, I just presented myself (personal statement) as being highly interested in research, focusing on some of my specific research interests and how I want to help advance the field of radiology. I think being able to formulate specific interests, even if they may change, is important. I imagine PD's hear a lot of "I'm interested in research" but that doesn't really mean much. Note, by doing this I believe it hurts you from getting interviews at some not as research oriented programs. I was actually rejected by two of the above programs, but appealed them by emailing the PDs with specific reasons of why I was still interested (used the AMSER guide template). During those interview days the PDs apologized and said they assumed I wasn't actually interested in their program.

I also think I had very strong letters of recommendations from some big names, which was likely a factor. No programs I interviewed at mentioned my step 1 score (230) as a concern, although its probably why I didn't receive interviews from MGH or Michigan which I'm okay with. One other thing you can do is become a reviewer of a journal or two. Radiology, AJR, and JVIR will likely let you be a reviewer, which I actually find entertaining and a great learning experience. You just have to find a good mentor who is an established reviewer for said journal, state you're interested in reviewing for them and that you want them to be your mentor, then email the editor saying you're a med student interested and have Dr. Blah as your mentor who will oversee you.

Using SDN users step 1 scores as reference can often be daunting, but its not the only thing and there are many other ways to sell yourself.

Last edited:
Good for you. I could never do research for a whole year, but good to know it's valued over step 1, at least at some places.

Also had no idea students could be reviewers that's pretty neat.

I think I was banking on having a 'big name' letter, but in retrospect I'm think this letter wasn't the strongest. C'est la vie.

250s Step 1, non AOA, 4 publications, top 40 school.

BWH
Cornell
Columbia
BID
Sinai
NYU
Yale
TJ
NSLIJ

Step 1 240s
Step 2 240s
AOA No
Research 4 research experiences, 2x abstracts, 1 major pub, 2 presentations
Top 40 NIH Yes
Graduate degree Yes
Tons of longitudinal extracurriculars

Stanford
BWH
UCLA
Cornell
UCSD
Northwestern
UPMC
Columbia
Loma Linda
Duke
UNC
Emory
Ohio State
Baylor

For my top 5, I have to say I really considered research resources and how invested I felt PDS to be in their residents. Class diversity was a biggie as well, and I favored programs with more women. I'm a guy and even I think having all guys or just one gal is kind of weird...

So many dreams on this thread. Hope everyone gets what they desire most and that everyone is happy in the end. Best wishes!

Last edited:
It looks like Stanford, BWH, UCLA, and Cornell are getting a lot of love. How come?

I ranked Brigham and Cornell as my top 2. No love from the west coast...oh well. Applicants from next year, keep note of these programs.

Step 1 260s
Step 2 n/a
Top 40 school
AOA

UVA DR
Hopkins
Penn
Jefferson
UMD
Emory
Wake
Duke
Vandy
UNC
VCU

They treat residents like the human beings we are.

Would be nice if other top program that have a different reputation would take note. However, they're still desirable and will have no problem filling so don't have much hope.

Cheers to those of you who valued humane treatment.

All my friends from other specialties want to go to BWH. Must be a hospital wide culture. Bravo, Brigham, I salute you.

Add me to the club. Ranked strongly based on resident happiness with location being a tie breaker. Chased prestige for med school, felt like the BS wasn't worth it. To each his own.

Step 1 250s
Top 10 med school
AOA

Cornell
BWH
Stanford
Wake
Jefferson
Yale
Columbia
MUSC
Duke
some others

But what about UCSF? Awesome location but not so chill?

Go to school outside CA. The other rads applicants and I had pretty good luck at BWH, Stanford, Cornell, UCLA for interviews.

None of us got anything from UCSF. May just be somewhat more competitive than the other four. Or maybe they hate our med school.

These 4 are the most chill programs and they are also in great locations.

I liked these programs' vibes a lot too but was a little hesitant that "chill" seems to come with less call. I'm not looking to be drowning in call and am definitely not a workaholic, but I talked to a few residents I know that really reinforced the importance of having a solid amount of independent call during residency especially if you have any interest in PP... you get more of a chance to work on your speed and be the one making and having responsibility for decisions.

I had 3 P's that I looked for at each program... The people (chillness, friendliness, happiness), the place (location), and well the program (certain details like call, resident satisfaction w/ teaching etc). Really just based my rank list on the program that had the best of all 3.

Add me to the club. Ranked strongly based on resident happiness with location being a tie breaker. Chased prestige for med school, felt like the BS wasn't worth it. To each his own.

Step 1 250s
Top 10 med school
AOA

Cornell
BWH
Stanford
Wake
Jefferson
Yale
Columbia
MUSC
Duke
some others

Those programs have prestige too... they're not scrubs.

Those programs have prestige too... they're not scrubs.

They do, didn't mean to imply that they don't. Was just stating that it was much less of an issue in my consideration compared to medical school where I just went to the highest ranked school I got into.

But what about UCSF? Awesome location but not so chill?

UCSF isn't for everyone. The residents work really hard and there is a significant time commitment to commute among all the different sites. For me, the resources and the opportunities there outweighed any negatives, but I certainly understand why other people might feel differently. Also, I'm someone who tends the coast if the opportunity presents itself, so I wanted a program where that wasn't an option.

UCSF isn't for everyone. The residents work really hard and there is a significant time commitment to commute among all the different sites. For me, the resources and the opportunities there outweighed any negatives, but I certainly understand why other people might feel differently. Also, I'm someone who tends the coast if the opportunity presents itself, so I wanted a program where that wasn't an option.

Specifically, what are the negatives for UCSF?
1) Residents work really hard (is this just more call/more volume seen? I wouldn't necessarily mind that)
2) Commute can be burdensome

Anything else? Also what are the positives?
1) Really awesome training, including every resource imaginable and independent call
2) Dedicated PD who really advocates for the residents
3) SF (which may not be a positive for everyone due to cost and hills)

Last edited:
Specifically, what are the negatives for UCSF?
1) Residents work really hard (is this just more call/more volume seen? I wouldn't necessarily mind that)
2) Commute can be burdensome

Anything else? Also what are the positives?
1) Really awesome training, including every resource imaginable and independent call
2) Dedicated PD who really advocates for the residents
3) SF (which may not be a positive for everyone due to cost and hills)

Just apply and rank it based on how you perceived it. Rank lists are personal for all of SDN's obsession of asking strangers how to rank program XYZ.

Reactions: 1 user
Not neurotic at all! You gotta do what ya gotta do. Refreshing to see someone getting all those interviews. A good example of perseverance on your part. A good counterexample to all the SDN peeps who act like it's 250+/straight honors or bust

Thanks for the support. That's exactly why I posted - all year while I was looking for advice to a similar situation to mine, I had trouble finding much.