Official 2015 IM Match Results!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well if you are doing firm minimums you can do that with numbers only (unless you have other ideas in mind), which means board scores.

The issue with the above, YankeeCandle, is that these firm board minimums are minimums of 220 (maybe 225/230, I doubt it) at max...even at top programs. Granted most successful matched applicants are more in the 240-250+ range but see this thread for many exceptions. UCSF is a very notable one.

So what I am saying is that firm minimums won't help you much at all. Even if programs were to get more specific and give out their board averages and standard deviations etc. ... you should still apply because you just don't know.

The bottom line is interviewing is expensive for applicants yes. Loans accumulate yes. But you know what? (this is directed at future applicants reading this) -> We all have spent 100s of thousands of dollars in medical school to get to the point of ERAS/NRMP. Spending another 10-20K to interview nationwide is totally worth it to find a few places you love and will thrive at...not to mention a nice cushion against SOAP as medcathouse alluded to earlier.

Members don't see this ad.

You wouldnt have to screen applicants if you published a firm minimum requirement. I would be much more targeted with applications if there was a way to know where I stand.
The issue is that this stuff is all fluid. I mentioned this roughly hojiggity million times. Programs can run a filter at (for example) Step 1 >240 and see what they get, then run it again at >220 and see what else interesting pops up. I assure you that not everyone who made the first filter will get invited, and likewise, there are many people who don't make the 2nd cutoff who will also get invited to interview.

I know you don't believe me but the only people harmed by hard cutoffs are the applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to add to this solid discussion: ERAS already tries to limit number of applications by disincentivising you from applying to too many places by incrementally increasing the cost of applications. It makes you think "is this additional program really worth $25?" (or more depending on how many you've already picked out). I know we always say "just apply, applications are cheap" but I remember distinctly not simply picking every program in the regions I wanted and instead put a little thought into only picking 25-30 programs. A more plausible suggestion for limiting applications would be to rebalance the payment scale to provide more of a disincentive to those applying to more programs. This would likely hurt IMGs, FMGs and DOs the most though and may not result in the desired outcome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, this is pathetic. There's literally like one page's worth of match results. You people are incredibly selfish for not giving back to a resource I'm sure most of you have used since your pre-med days.

Dude, this is pathetic. There's literally like one page's worth of match results. You people are incredibly selfish for not giving back to a resource I'm sure most of you have used since your pre-med days.

Lol. People don't like to post identifying information about themselves on this site.
You are incredibly selfish for expecting people to start doing it.

I guarantee you if you had access to the full range of step 1 scores of current residents at MGH and Hopkins, the "firm minimum" step 1 would be surprisingly low .

I usually agree with you. This is just stupid though.

Nevermind. You guys are right. Programs definitely don't filter applications.

Lol. People don't like to post identifying information about themselves on this site.

These same people post all the places they're applying to in the WAMC threads, post all knout their practice test scores and routine in the Step 1/2 forums (without posting their results), post all about getting in med school (without posting results), etc. They're a bunch of leechers who want to take from the community and not give back. It's fine if you want to support that behavior, but I personally think it's selfish.

Reactions: 1 user
These same people post all the places they're applying to in the WAMC threads, post all knout their practice test scores and routine in the Step 1/2 forums (without posting their results), post all about getting in med school (without posting results), etc. They're a bunch of leechers who want to take from the community and not give back. It's fine if you want to support that behavior, but I personally think it's selfish.

No. All of that stuff that you just said is not identifying information.

Posting where you matched... Is.

Its selfish for you to ask people to post things online that would make their online identity really obvious to their future employers and colleagues.

Its selfish for you to ask people to post things online that would make their online identity really obvious to their future employers and colleagues.

You can not name your school, you can give ball park step scores, you can ballpark your pub count or research experience quantity, don't need to go into ECs. IM is also a large field with many, many residents matching at the same institution. So yes you can make it pretty anonymous.

Regardless, what this thread has turned to is pointless and probably should be closed. The first page and change is what will be useful to future applicants.

You can create a throwaway profile or message jdh or gutonc to post anonymously.

Or you can do what 99% of people always do every year, and not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or you can do what 99% of people always do every year, and not.

Yes, but this just helps perpetuate the helplessness of this thread. I agree anonymity is important to an extent, but I also think that there is some usefulness to this thread. Hence, why I posted. And I agree with the aforementioned sentiments that there are many people who want help, however don't reciprocate on their end. Is this a problem? I don't know, it an internet forum, but it would be nice to think those that did ask would want to contribute.

Yea. But calling other people selfish for not contributing is jackassery. Pot-->kettle.

I don't think of it as selfish. More nonchalant/ In the moment. It pertains to them at a certain point but then suddenly the match is over, and it no longer is of any value to them. As far as the pot calling the kettle black? What and how so?

The vast majority of people who have PM'd to post their match results have been brand new users with 0 or 1 posts on SDN. It's hard to get more anonymous than that.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm sorry, but if someone doesn't know how to post anonymously (when you can so easily post ballpark stats/ballpark med school rank/ballpark pubs with a new profile that takes 5 seconds to create and be a great deal of help to future applicants), then they probably lack the intellectual capacity to be a doctor in the first place. So many of these people trolled all over the What Are My Chances and prior match results threads leeching information from people but have no interest in giving back. Yes. They're selfish.

I'm sorry, but if someone doesn't know how to post anonymously (when you can so easily post ballpark stats/ballpark med school rank/ballpark pubs with a new profile that takes 5 seconds to create and be a great deal of help to future applicants), then they probably lack the intellectual capacity to be a doctor in the first place. So many of these people trolled all over the What Are My Chances and prior match results threads leeching information from people but have no interest in giving back. Yes. They're selfish.

Yes. And then post where you matched, narrowing down who you are to 8 people.

If you do not have the mental capacity to identify someone out of a lineup of 8, with their reasearch history, their medical school, and their general board scores, YOU dont have the capacity to be a doctor.

If you do not have the mental capacity to identify someone out of a lineup of 8, with their reasearch history, their medical school, and their general board scores, YOU dont have the capacity to be a doctor.

Saying "Top 40 med school" or "2+ pubs" or "step 1 240+" is hardly identifying. And not sure where you pulled 8 from (do you even know what forum you're in?), but IM programs typically have 35+ slots for categoricals alone, FYI.

Last edited:
Ok so you are one of the 36 at Penn, you are from michigan, and you have a sister in medical school.

Im sure you just blend right in and your PD would NEVER be able to figure out which intern you are

Edit: oh and that took me about 5 minutes. If I cared I could probably find out what your actual name is based on your posts.

Edit 2: and also, no, the average IM program does not have even close to 35 seats per class.

Ok so you are one of the 36 at Penn, you are from michigan, and you have a sister in medical school.

Im sure you just blend right in and your PD would NEVER be able to figure out which intern you are

Edit: oh and that took me about 5 minutes. If I cared I could probably find out what your actual name is based on your posts.

Edit 2: and also, no, the average IM program does not have even close to 35 seats per class.

You miss the point entirely. #1, I never post my precise personal information, so go ahead and use those data to find me. And if you somehow do, please go ahead and tell my PD that I post on SDN, oh the horror...

#2, what did I say? I said create a fake account and post approximate data. And no, you won't be able to identify those people.

#3 then what are the average # of seats per program? I actually applied to IM, and 35 for categorical was on the low end of the 20+ top programs that 90% of people are talking about on SDN.

Last edited:
Hahaha try not to backpedal too quickly you might hurt yourself

You are being pretty obnoxious, but I have to say this is a lot more entertaining that waiting, in vain, for people to post their match results.
Hiding under the veil of "lack of anonymity" as a reason not to post, when many of them posted in the WAMC thread at a point when the stakes were much higher (before they matched), and when it can be done be done with reasonable anonymity, is a cop out. Some of them are probably not entirely happy with their results, or haven't thought through what's their true reason for not posting.

You are being pretty obnoxious, but I have to say this is a lot more entertaining that waiting, in vain, for people to post their match results.
Hiding under the veil of "lack of anonymity" as a reason not to post, when many of them posted in the WAMC thread at a point when the stakes were much higher (before they matched), and when it can be done be done with reasonable anonymity, is a cop out. Some of them are probably not entirely happy with their results, or haven't thought through what's their true reason for not posting.

.....and thats because without posting what program you matched into, its very easy to actually be anonymous.

.....and thats because without posting what program you matched into, its very easy to actually be anonymous.

You also realize that someone actually has to care to check. And, unless someone walks around their program stating "hey i got 240's on step 1 and published two 1st author papers...", the only people who are going to truly figure out who you are are the program leadership. As if they have time to care what you post on SDN.

I still stand by the fact that unless you post where you matched, your information is fairly useless except to see where you may get interviews.

Threads like this one were very valuable to me. I had no idea which programs I had a chance at prior to SDN. It helped me construct my application list including the program to which I proudly matched. There was much more quality advice on here than I was ever offered by my school's advisers. It is damn near impossible to remain anonymous as a DO and I struggled with whether or not I should post my match, editing my match result like 5 times. Helping a few people out means more to me than the terrible shame if someone discover's my true identity. The shame of course being that I spent way too much time on an forum with terrible tangents, trolls, circle jerks, and often meaningless debates which are painfully and cyclically repeated. I definitely like and appreciate this place, but damn... I dont know how Gutonc and Jdh keep it up.

Last edited:
You miss the point entirely. #1, I never post my precise personal information, so go ahead and use those data to find me. And if you somehow do, please go ahead and tell my PD that I post on SDN, oh the horror...

#2, what did I say? I said create a fake account and post approximate data. And no, you won't be able to identify those people.

#3 then what are the average # of seats per program? I actually applied to IM, and 35 for categorical was on the low end of the 20+ top programs that 90% of people are talking about on SDN.
Looking at NRMP programs only (missing approximately a dozen outside the match programs), in 2015, there were 6770 categorical spots in 429 programs. That's 15.8 categorical spots/program on average.

Looking at NRMP programs only (missing approximately a dozen outside the match programs), in 2015, there were 6770 categorical spots in 429 programs. That's 15.8 categorical spots/program on average.

True, but you have to realize that the programs we spend the vast majority of our time talking about in these threads are programs at large academic institutions (the nature of sdn), where 35+ slots is typical.

You also realize that someone actually has to care to check. And, unless someone walks around their program stating "hey i got 240's on step 1 and published two 1st author papers...", the only people who are going to truly figure out who you are are the program leadership. As if they have time to care what you post on SDN.

I still stand by the fact that unless you post where you matched, your information is fairly useless except to see where you may get interviews.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure...

Threads like this one were very valuable to me. I had no idea which programs I had a chance at prior to SDN. It helped me construct my application list including the program to which I proudly matched. There was much more quality advice on here than I was ever offered by my school's advisers. It is damn near impossible to remain anonymous as a DO and I struggled with whether or not I should post my match, editing my match result like 5 times. Helping a few people out means more to me than the terrible shame if someone discover's my true identity. The shame of course being that I spent way too much time on an forum with terrible tangents, trolls, circle jerks, and often meaningless debates which are painfully and cyclically repeated. I definitely like and appreciate this place, but damn... I dont know how Gutonc and Jdh keep it up.

With the exception of a few people, these WAMC/interview/match threads are full of crazy. Many stat posts show bad cases of pat-myself-on-the-back, so I am glad I stayed away from SDN from 9/15 to 3/20. Had I paid attention to all the 260+/multiple pubes/etc. crowd, thinking it was out of my league, I wouldn't have even applied to the program at which I happily matched.

So I'm not really sure what sense of duty or responsibility posters must have in divulging private information.

With the exception of a few people, these WAMC/interview/match threads are full of crazy. Many stat posts show bad cases of pat-myself-on-the-back, so I am glad I stayed away from SDN from 9/15 to 3/20. Had I paid attention to all the 260+/multiple pubes/etc. crowd, thinking it was out of my league, I wouldn't have even applied to the program at which I happily matched.

So I'm not really sure what sense of duty or responsibility posters must have in divulging private information.

Come on, it's not their fault you're a late bloomer

Reactions: 3 users

You never know for sure until you apply. It's been stated multiple times that investing heavily in random internet people's opinions is foolish. I just know that I found comfort in the WAMC/Match threads. It's at least an eight month process, and I took solace in the knowledge that similar applicants matched to good programs. I felt that it was my responsibility to pay that back to future applicants. In order to pay that back, information (Step 1/2 approximates, Med school, Pub status, Class Rank) is necessary. That information is likely identifying to the curious investigator.

Sorry, late response here. I used this forum a lot during the application process so I thought I'd post my results as well.

School: low/mid-tier state school
Step Scores: 241/266
Grades: our school was pass/fail, but I suspect I would have had mostly P with a couple HP for third year
Research: 1 first author basic science, a handful of abstracts, a couple middle author basic science
AOA: no
Interview Invites: Dartmouth, Baylor, VCU, BU, Tufts, UC Irvine, SCVMC, U Maryland, USC, Georgetown, Wake Forest

Rejections: UWash, OHSU, U Colorado, UCSD, UVA, Emory, UTSW, Stanford, Brown, Yale, UCLA, UNC, Northwestern, Columbia

Matched (+ # on ROL): Baylor (#1)

Advice
:

- Apply broadly -- now is not the time to be cheap
- Don't go crazy with doing too many interviews
- Be able to talk about yourself and prepare questions for the interview, because some interviewers will not be well prepared and will repeatedly ask you "do you have any questions?"
- IMO, the program structure of most internal medicine programs are very similar -- there are a couple of programs that have truly unique features, but most of the other programs are so similar it is hard to rank them based on differences in curriculum
- Where you go to medical school seems to make a difference in terms of where you get interviews (but not much you can do at this point)
- If you are interested in fellowship, look carefully at the match lists for the programs to which you are applying

Reactions: 3 users

School
: Osteopathic
Step Scores: COMLEX 1 600 COMLEX 2 620 (Did not take USMLE)
Grades: A's on Clinical Rotation (we do not have an honors system) A's and B's in preclinical courses. (3.7 GPA)
Research: Undergrad research, Poster Presentation during medical school
AOA: Sigma Sigma Phi (Osteopathic equivalent)
Interview Invites: 17/20: Baylor College of Medicine- Houston, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, University of Kansas, UT-Knoxville, University of South Carolina, Eastern Carolina University, University of Florida-Shands, University of Oklahoma, University of New Mexico, Methodist Houston, Methodist Dallas, University of Arkansas, University of Arizona, LSU Shreveport, Baptist-Birmingham, Mercy St. Louis

Rejections: ETSU, Medical College of Georgia, VCU

Matched (+ # on ROL): University of Florida-Shands. Number 1!!!

Advice
: As a DO applicant, I did receive feedback from my rejections regarding my absent USMLE score, However, these were not the places I expected to get this sort of feedback. It is a very specific program to program policy and when I interviewed it was only brought up in one interview in which they said COMLEX is perfectly acceptable to them, they were just curious on my intentions not taking USMLE.
- Most of my interviews focused on my third year medicine clerkship experience, which can vary greatly from each osteopathic school. I am fortunate to have had a very academic experience both 3rd and 4th years during medicine and sub specialty rotations.
- My best advice for other osteopathic applicants is to do a Sub-I at a large academic medical center as early as possible in 4th year, and get a good letter of recommendation from your attending. I utilized VSAS to the maximum to do elective and sub-I's during 4th year at large institution which I didn't even apply to just get the experience.
- Regarding taking the USMLE or not as an osteopathic applicant, I don' feel comfortable telling anyone not to take it because I didn't and it worked out very well for me, which could be purely anecdotal. But before you take any licensing exam I would say to make sure your ready to take it. Assess and reassess your probability of doing well on whichever or both exams if you choose to take them. Do not blow off COMLEX if you are taking USMLE. Consistency between the exams will be very important if you take both even doing very well on USMLE and mediocre or poorly on COMLEX does happen and could be seen as a flaw.
-Lastly, if you really want to interview with a program you haven't heard from, just give them a call in the middle of the interview season around November or December and let them know you are interested in their program and why and just ask if they don't mind reviewing you application if it hasn't been reviewed. They can only tell you no or yes and it might get you another interview at a program you fall in love with.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry, late response here. I used this forum a lot during the application process so I thought I'd post my results as well.

School: low/mid-tier state school
Step Scores: 241/266
Grades: our school was pass/fail, but I suspect I would have had mostly P with a couple HP for third year
Research: 1 first author basic science, a handful of abstracts, a couple middle author basic science
AOA: no
Interview Invites: Dartmouth, Baylor, VCU, BU, Tufts, UC Irvine, SCVMC, U Maryland, USC, Georgetown, Wake Forest

Rejections: UWash, OHSU, U Colorado, UCSD, UVA, Emory, UTSW, Stanford, Brown, Yale, UCLA, UNC, Northwestern, Columbia

Matched (+ # on ROL): Baylor (#1)

Advice
:

- Apply broadly -- now is not the time to be cheap
- Don't go crazy with doing too many interviews
- Be able to talk about yourself and prepare questions for the interview, because some interviewers will not be well prepared and will repeatedly ask you "do you have any questions?"
- IMO, the program structure of most internal medicine programs are very similar -- there are a couple of programs that have truly unique features, but most of the other programs are so similar it is hard to rank them based on differences in curriculum
- Where you go to medical school seems to make a difference in terms of where you get interviews (but not much you can do at this point)
- If you are interested in fellowship, look carefully at the match lists for the programs to which you are applying

I feel you have a pretty solid application but got a rough shake

Anonymous . . .

School: Midwestern allopathic (Mid-tier?)
Step Scores: 220/241
Grades: Honors in IM, Neurology, Family Medicine, and Psychiatry. NH/P in the remainders.
Research: None, but lots of community service experience and leadership roles in our student run health clinic.
AOA: Nope
Interview Invites: Duke, UTSW, UCSD, WashU, BU, Case Western, UW-Madison, Colorado, Ohio State, VCU, Iowa, SLU, Loyola, MCW, Rush, UIC, Cincinnati, University of Maryland, Creighton, Temple, Drexel, Wake Forest, Metro Health, Rutgers (both), Stonybrook, NYU

Rejections: UCLA, MGH, University of Chicago, OHSU, Louisville, didn't hear back from several others.

Matched (+ # on ROL): Duke (#1)

Advice
:
1) Letters of recommendations from individuals that are nationally renown or have trained at institutions that you would like to attend can go a long way.
2) Several interviews commented about honoring the Internal Medicine clerkship and the feedback I received from residents and attendings I worked with on the clerkship (i.e. hard worker, eager to learn, punctual, etc).
3) Apply broadly and don't be afraid to apply to those "dream programs." You've been working so hard your entire life for this moment, and the worse thing that you can do when it's all said and done is regret and lament that you didn't at least attempt to "shoot for the stars." Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Anonymous (very interesting post, re: couples match within IM, formatting is different to make room for both OP and SO, both matched in IM). Thank you for sharing!

School
: East Coast State School (low-tier?)
Step Scores: Me: 245+/250+ SO: 220+/220+
Grades: Me: H in all 3rd year except Medicine (HP...ouch); SO: HP in all 3rd year including IM and two H
Research: Me: 3 pubs, no first author/ SO: 7 pubs, a few first author
AOA: No/No
Interview Invites: Applied to a lot of schools, and we didn't always get the same invites, but we went to places where we both at least got programs in the same city, even if the hospitals were different. My list included: UCLA, UNC, UVA, Case Western, UC Davis, UCSD, UMd, Tufts, Brown, OHSU, UW-Madison, Jefferson, USC, UCLA-Harbor, GW, Montefiore, UIC, + some community programs

Rejections: UCSF, Vanderbilt, MGH, BWH, BID, Yale (never got off the waitlist), Duke, Emory, UPenn, UPMC, BU, Stanford, Cornell, Sinai, NYU, Hopkins, Hopkins-Bayview, UTSW, Baylor, UWash, UMich

Matched (+ # on ROL): We made about a 100+ combinations out of our programs (we each had about 15-16 individual programs). We fell about a third down our combination list (~30-40).

Advice
:

-The couples match is a totally different beast than the normal match, and you can fall pretty far down your list. We marked on ERAS that we were couples matching. Looking back on it, I don't know if that was such a good idea. It might have been better to leave that blank when we initially sent out our applications, and tell the programs about our couples match once one of us got invited or at the interview.

-I think the couples match works better with similarly matched candidates. For example, our scores were pretty far apart, and I think that played into what programs invited us and how they ranked us. My SO on the otherhand is incredibly likable/personable/kills interviews, and while I'm decent at interviews, I'm nowhere near as good as SO. Like, my SO walks into a room and people instantly love him/her. I'm saying this to highlight that we are pretty different: I'm more of the nerdy one, my SO is the personable, lovable one. I think being that different in person, and also on paper, made it hard for one program to like both of us, especially at the top of our list.

-Post-interview communication is even more tricky with couples matching. I got alot of love in the post-interview world, but I ended up matching at a program that didn't send me anything. One of my top programs told me I was ranked to match, but we didn't match there. Similarly, one of our other top programs told my SO was ranked to match, but we didn't match there. We even made a combination of these two programs and we didn't match at that combo. Bottom line: programs lie, don't trust post-interview communication.

-I had an interview where we were interviewed together. At the same time, with one person. So be prepared for that.

-Spend alot of time on each and every combination. Make sure you are at peace with combo 1-150 before you submit that bastard, because there is a larger chance that you fall on here than the normal match list.

-Remember that you probably are sacrificing some competitiveness by couples matching. At the same time, you get to be with an amazing person during one of the most difficult times in your life--and that's an amazing thing as well. I was a little disappointed when I first got my match, because I was looking to land at a big program. But then I realized--I'd rather be at a slightly worse program and be happy with my SO (and getting on with the rest of my life) than alone at a better program. That's why I did the couples match in the first place!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
School: Osteopathic
Step Scores: COMLEX 1 600 COMLEX 2 620 (Did not take USMLE)

Advice: As a DO applicant, I did receive feedback from my rejections regarding my absent USMLE score, However, these were not the places I expected to get this sort of feedback. It is a very specific program to program policy and when I interviewed it was only brought up in one interview in which they said COMLEX is perfectly acceptable to them, they were just curious on my intentions not taking USMLE.
- My best advice for other osteopathic applicants is to do a Sub-I at a large academic medical center as early as possible in 4th year, and get a good letter of recommendation from your attending. I utilized VSAS to the maximum to do elective and sub-I's during 4th year at large institution which I didn't even apply to just get the experience.
- Regarding taking the USMLE or not as an osteopathic applicant, I don' feel comfortable telling anyone not to take it because I didn't and it worked out very well for me, which could be purely anecdotal. But before you take any licensing exam I would say to make sure your ready to take it. Assess and reassess your probability of doing well on whichever or both exams if you choose to take them. Do not blow off COMLEX if you are taking USMLE. Consistency between the exams will be very important if you take both even doing very well on USMLE and mediocre or poorly on COMLEX does happen and could be seen as a flaw.

How did you respond concerning your intentions of not taking USMLE?
I didn't take it either and scored L1: 588 / L2: 545. True reasons for not taking it vary between people, but do you know what are some okay answers to this questioning?

Congratulations to all those who matched. Hope residency is going well. Ask any questions regarding residency. I will try to help. I am a Hospitalist now. I wanna help with my experience. Read "intern or Hospitalist survival guides" to boost your confidence.