Official 2017-2018 Psychiatry Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carpe-Noctem

Seize the Night
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Credit to thor343 for doing this last year (I copied his format for this thread). Since we submitted apps today seems fitting to get this party started.

Instructions from last years thread are below

1) Keep the list in the body when you reply
2) Please sort alphabetically by state
3) Try to say what school/program you are adding in the subject line
4) It would be helpful if the person who FIRST adds a program could also include the date they received their invite.

Please include these instructions when you quote - And quote the last list available!
Step 1: Click on the blue "QUOTE" button at the bottom right of the last post (don't copy and paste since it will not pick up the HTML code for boldface fonts).
Step 2: Remove the bracketed things at the very beginning and very end. (QUOTE=username;numbers) and (/QUOTE) - where the parentheses are brackets.
Step 3: Make your additions, then post. Please type what you are adding in the title/subject line so people won't have to search the whole post to see what you added.

Goodluck everyone!

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this all happened so fast. I wish you all the best!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Sending out ERAS be like
LoveMe.gif

Best of luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
I have been reading applications for two hours and only have 500 to go. I don't thing any invites are coming today.

Reactions: 5 users
I have a quick question. A lot of programs like Columbia and Yale ask for "a minimum of 3 LoRs". If I have 3 LoRs currently (2 psychiatrists, 1 FM) and have 2 other people (one Peds, one IM) who said they would write one for me, should I wait for one of these other docs to write a letter for me before submitting to those programs or should I just submit now? How much does it matter?

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck, everyone!

I thought i would have to submitmy app without my lors completed but the writers came through last minute! Thank the ERAS gods!

Last edited:
Is it that time of the year already? Dang I'm feeling old. Good luck everyone!

I have a quick question. A lot of programs like Columbia and Yale ask for "a minimum of 3 LoRs". If I have 3 LoRs currently (2 psychiatrists, 1 FM) and have 2 other people (one Peds, one IM) who said they would write one for me, should I wait for one of these other docs to write a letter for me before submitting to those programs or should I just submit now? How much does it matter?
Submit now and update later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submit now and update later.

Yeah I went on an interview even before all my letters were in. Things have gotten more competitive, so don't be as lazy as I was, but you should go ahead and submit.

UT Southwestern and Johns Hopkins

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland

Johns Hopkins (9/15)
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
UTSW (9/15)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

Reactions: 4 users
UT Southwestern and Johns Hopkins

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland

Johns Hopkins (9/15)
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas

UTSW (9/15)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin
Wow, this was quick! Congrats!

How do you pick which order to read them?

Reactions: 1 users
We make hard copies and throw them at the celling. I start with the ones that stick. Seriously, slogging alphabetical, but plan to be quick and complete so no advantage to the Adamses out there.

Reactions: 2 users
How do you pick which order to read them?

Filter in our favorite med schools first, filter out folks with unacceptable boards or who have been out of med school too long, divvy up the hundreds left so that someone in the program has at least laid eyes on most of them. Sift through for hidden gems, interesting PSs*, "OMG Best ever" LORs, look harder at folks with top 20% board scores and hope that we still have interview slots left for outstanding latecomers...
I'm getting a headache already.

*I wish splik still had his "The Six Types of Personal Statements" up--it was classic, and oh so true. It's pretty rare that one departs from that structure.

Reactions: 3 users
WAMC of getting an interview invite in September if I only have 2/3 LOR's? Is a "complete" application a common filter programs apply? Or only the top 5 programs? Thanks y'all

*I wish splik still had his "The Six Types of Personal Statements" up--it was classic, and oh so true. It's pretty rare that one departs from that structure.

Me too. I searched so hard for the six types when I was working on mine. I wanna see which type mine is.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Filter in our favorite med schools first, filter out folks with unacceptable boards or who have been out of med school too long, divvy up the hundreds left so that someone in the program has at least laid eyes on most of them. Sift through for hidden gems, interesting PSs*, "OMG Best ever" LORs, look harder at folks with top 20% board scores and hope that we still have interview slots left for outstanding latecomers...
I'm getting a headache already.

I'm sure you're extremely busy, so thank you for taking time to answer our questions! (also big thanks to @MacDonaldTriad as well!)

One More: Do you consider your program to be competitive? Just curious because you mentioned top 20% board scores and I know I'm nowhere near that percentile (and the idea that a lot of programs I applied to might use that as criteria makes my match-process-neuroticism kick into higher gear, lol).

I'm sure you're extremely busy, so thank you for taking time to answer our questions! (also big thanks to @MacDonaldTriad as well!)

One More: Do you consider your program to be competitive? Just curious because you mentioned top 20% board scores and I know I'm nowhere near that percentile (and the idea that a lot of programs I applied to might use that as criteria makes my match-process-neuroticism kick into higher gear, lol).
Solid mid-range, but that top 20% screen is for IMGs, Caribs, etc. with no discernible connection to our region--trying to "screen in" quality applicants from the huge mass of apps. When we have to find the folks we really want to interview out of several hundred, it helps to have something better than sheer randomness to guide our prioritization.
As I said, AMGs & DOs are checked out in the first pass, and we're more concerned about just a decent passing score in that case. (Though if you're in the bottom 20% you'd better have something else in your app to catch our eye.)

Received a "supplementary app" from Carolinas Medical Center yesterday. I didn't know this was a thing residency apps!

Solid mid-range, but that top 20% screen is for IMGs, Caribs, etc. with no discernible connection to our region--trying to "screen in" quality applicants from the huge mass of apps. When we have to find the folks we really want to interview out of several hundred, it helps to have something better than sheer randomness to guide our prioritization.
As I said, AMGs & DOs are checked out in the first pass, and we're more concerned about just a decent passing score in that case. (Though if you're in the bottom 20% you'd better have something else in your app to catch our eye.)

Thank you for your input!! Especially on a weekend!

I'm a US MD student waiting for first II (hopefully). Worried I won't get past the step 1 screens for programs to see my improved CK. Applied mostly to NE/mid Atlantic region. Trying to remind myself if I was a PD I would not want to be reading 500 personal statements on a Saturday...

Good luck everyone!

What makes a school a "favorite"? Local med schools? Academic ranking and general competitiveness?

Thank you again for taking the time to post right now. One follow up question is what would you consider to be "something else to catch our eye"? I'd imagine extensive research would count, but what kinds of other things would you look for? Just curious because my boards weren't great (don't know the percentile, but wouldn't be surprised if it was around the 25th) and I didn't choose psych until 3rd year (minimal exposure).

Emory and Johns Hopkins

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia

Emory (9/16)
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland

Johns Hopkins (9/15)
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas

UTSW (9/15)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

Loma Linda

Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California

Loma Linda (9/16)
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Emory (9/16)
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland

Johns Hopkins (9/15)
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas

UTSW (9/15)
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

What makes a school a "favorite"? Local med schools? Academic ranking and general competitiveness?
Basically the schools within 1-2 state radius. They know us...we know them.
We have some history of getting good residents from those, and they tend to enroll students who want to stick around.

Last edited:
Thank you again for taking the time to post right now. One follow up question is what would you consider to be "something else to catch our eye"? I'd imagine extensive research would count, but what kinds of other things would you look for? Just curious because my boards weren't great (don't know the percentile, but wouldn't be surprised if it was around the 25th) and I didn't choose psych until 3rd year (minimal exposure).
Some great life experience, a great personal statement or LOR that inspires one of our committee to advocate for you, research maybe (it helps as a show of aptitude and commitment, but research isn't our program's hallmark strength.)

Thank you so much for your contributions thus far!

I am curious as to your approach to DO applicants. Do you consider their scores comparable to MD applicants (especially if they have taken USMLE)? What makes a DO stand out in the process?
We consider them equivalent, period.

Reactions: 3 users
As an APD tasked with ERAS screening, I won't be sending out invites for 10 days (goal: send invites by 9/25). The way to send out quick invites is to use USMLE cut-points for screening or to focus on medical schools with more prestige. In my experience, these have not correlated well with resident clinical performance or openness to training. IMO, the worst applicants are folks high in arrogance. It just don't work well for training in psychiatry.

Thank you for your input!! Especially on a weekend!

I'm a US MD student waiting for first II (hopefully). Worried I won't get past the step 1 screens for programs to see my improved CK. Applied mostly to NE/mid Atlantic region. Trying to remind myself if I was a PD I would not want to be reading 500 personal statements on a Saturday...

Good luck everyone!

Hey CingulateGyro, I saw your post on the WAMC thread and relate to you quite well. I also just sent out my applications and am concerned due to my similar Step 1 score. I just wanted to say that I have received an interview already, so our Step 2 score hopefully will assist with bypassing the Step 1 screens!

Hey CingulateGyro, I saw your post on the WAMC thread and relate to you quite well. I also just sent out my applications and am concerned due to my similar Step 1 score. I just wanted to say that I have received an interview already, so our Step 2 score hopefully will assist with bypassing the Step 1 screens!
You should list it on this thread to help people out!

You should list it on this thread to help people out!

Yep, just uh posting in between patients, hopefully attending doesn't notice haha.

Alabama
U. Alabama (9/15)
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Washington
Washington DC
Wisconsin

If you have a strong connection to an area that isn't evident in your application, is it worth mentioning in your PS for that school?

UT San Antonio invitation received 9/18

Alabama:
U. Alabama - EmpathMan (9/15),
Arizona:
Arkansas:
California:

Loma Linda - Bonsibon (9/16),
Colorado:
Connecticut:
Florida:
Georgia:

Emory- jujumd2014 (9/16),
Hawaii:
Illinois:
Indiana:
Iowa:
Kansas:
Kentucky:
Louisiana:
Maine:
Maryland:

Johns Hopkins- Psychiatrilific (9/15), jujumd2014 (9/15)
Massachusetts:
Michigan:
Minnesota:
Missouri:
Nebraska:
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota:
Ohio:
Oklahoma:
Oregon:
Pennsylvania:
Rhode Island:
South Carolina:
South Dakota:
Tennessee:
Texas:

UTSW- Psychiatrilific (9/15),
UTSA -CareBear2018 (9/18),
Utah:
Vermont:
Virginia:
West Virginia:
Washington:
Washington DC:
Wisconsin:

Last edited:
did anyone else receive an email with acknowledging receipt of application from Yale? Do they send this to everyone?

If you have a strong connection to an area that isn't evident in your application, is it worth mentioning in your PS for that school?
ABSOLUTELY.
ERAS only tells us where you live now, where you went to medical school, and (if we dig) where you went to undergrad.
We can't see where you grew up, where your SO is from, where you went to HS, etc. unless you tell us.

ABSOLUTELY.
ERAS only tells us where you live now, where you went to medical school, and (if we dig) where you went to undergrad.
We can't see where you grew up, where your SO is from, where you went to HS, etc. unless you tell us.

Would it be reasonable to mention outside of the personal statement? As in an email?

UTSW invitation 9/15
Loma Linda invitation 9/16
UTSA invitation 9/18

Alabama:
U. Alabama - EmpathMan (9/15),
Arizona:
Arkansas:
California:

Loma Linda - Bonsibon (9/16), Max Headroom (9/16)
Colorado:
Connecticut:
Florida:
Georgia:

Emory- jujumd2014 (9/16),
Hawaii:
Illinois:
Indiana:
Iowa:
Kansas:
Kentucky:
Louisiana:
Maine:
Maryland:

Johns Hopkins- Psychiatrilific (9/15), jujumd2014 (9/15)
Massachusetts:
Michigan:
Minnesota:
Missouri:
Nebraska:
Nevada:
New Hampshire:
New Jersey:
New Mexico:
New York:
North Carolina:
North Dakota:
Ohio:
Oklahoma:
Oregon:
Pennsylvania:
Rhode Island:
South Carolina:
South Dakota:
Tennessee:
Texas:

UTSW- Psychiatrilific (9/15), Max Headroom (9/15)
UTSA -CareBear2018 (9/18), Max Headroom (9/18)
Utah:
Vermont:
Virginia:
West Virginia:
Washington:
Washington DC:
Wisconsin:

For the applications who are receiving interviews are you all AMGs?