Official 2017 Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi all. I just received an email from LECOM ARNOT in elmira new york stating that they have opened up a new position in their psychiatry residency.
they are an ACGME program now
I have already registered and entered my match

they are asking if I want to interview. Being that they are in NY and not in NYC, I'm very interested in the program, but I don't want to jeopardize or break the rules of the NRMP by doing ANYTHING outside the match.

Am I allowed to interview for this position now?
How does that affect NRMP?
will they get all their candidates for this extra spot via the SOAP?

help me out! I'm confused.
Tread carefully. I find it odd that they are ACGME now and do not seem to be a aware of regulations. Or they are and just don't give AF. That would give me pause about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

10 more days on the match day struggle bus! Ughhh.. anyways, the news is super depressing these days but the Wikileaks' latest dump caught my eye. What are the chances they hack the nrmp match data? :joyful:

Reactions: 1 user
10 more days on the match day struggle bus! Ughhh.. anyways, the news is super depressing these days but the Wikileaks' latest dump caught my eye. What are the chances they hack the nrmp match data? :joyful:
They're going to hack it and match all the psych applicants to general surgery and vice versa : o

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They're going to hack it and match all the psych applicants to general surgery and vice versa : o

I thought the worst thing that could happen is that I don't match. I guess I could be wrong...

Reactions: 3 users
At least none of the psych programs forgot to submit their rank order list (as far as we know) like this program did for their cardiothoracic surgery residents.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/hospitalbasedmedicine/graduatemedicaleducation/63629

Yeah, when I read that story I was absolutely blown away. I figured screw ups like that didn't happen, and at Columbia Presbyterian no less. What a waste of time and money for those interviewing. But some "lucky" SOAP candidate might get a spot there. Ughh...but the thought of going into a cardiothoracic surgery residency program makes my skin crawl.

Reactions: 1 users
At least none of the psych programs forgot to submit their rank order list (as far as we know) like this program did for their cardiothoracic surgery residents.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/hospitalbasedmedicine/graduatemedicaleducation/63629
The match should have allowed the appeal. Losing a top program in a low population specialty is pretty much the definition of breaking the assumptions of the algorithm (that interviewees and programs interview at their most optimal number of applicants/programs and rank those applicants/programs in order of preference.) While it won't affect how the algorithm works, it will mean a bunch of people missing out on their top choices.

The match should have allowed the appeal. Losing a top program in a low population specialty is pretty much the definition of breaking the assumptions of the algorithm (that interviewees and programs interview at their most optimal number of applicants/programs and rank those applicants/programs in order of preference.) While it won't affect how the algorithm works, it will mean a bunch of people missing out on their top choices.

This really reinforces my opinion that the whole process is completely stupid. I feel really bad for the people who would have matched there that get stuck in a place they'd rather not be. All those years of work just to get screwed over by an administrative error.

Wonder why they denied the appeal. Isn't the one month wait meant for stuff like this?

This really reinforces my opinion that the whole process is completely stupid. I feel really bad for the people who would have matched there that get stuck in a place they'd rather not be. All those years of work just to get screwed over by an administrative error.

It's probably a combination of them not wanting to set a precedent, and the matching algorithm already in motion (although I wonder how many "computer hours" they actually need to sort out the thousands of applicants and programs).

It's probably a combination of them not wanting to set a precedent, and the matching algorithm already in motion (although I wonder how many "computer hours" they actually need to sort out the thousands of applicants and programs).

Supposedly it's a matter of seconds to run the actual algorithm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
Is there any actual justification for the long wait between rank list submission and match day? I mean I understand we need a week for SOAP but if the computer only takes 17 seconds why do they need almost a month? Does NRMP have stock in xanax?

This is such a good joke :lol:NRMP should consider investing

Does NRMP have stock in xanax?

Nope, just Diageo. Same effect but now they don't have to put those embarassing disclosure slides at the beginning of their PowerPoint presentations.

Did u get NRMP SOAP Eligibility Email at 10:56am CST?

Did u get NRMP SOAP Eligibility Email at 10:56am CST?

Yes, and "This email is sent to all applicants and is NOT an indication of whether or not you have matched to any position."

To expand on this, it's actually a very simple algorithm, not far from a sorting method (bubble sort.) The small amount of additional complexity is incorporating couples.

Didn't the algorithm win a Nobel prize?

It's so scary many got it and many didn't. That's why I asked to begin with.

Maybe others can input if they got the email around 10:56a CST? I use gmail

If they check the R3 system (nrmp) it should say soap eligible. Other than not seeing that, nothing to worry over.

I have a yahoo address and I got half of a garbled glitchy email, but I'm good on the R3 system so whatever

I didn't receive the email and I use Gmail; however, I'm good on the NRMP website. Will this be a problem on Monday or can I log onto the NRMP to see if I matched if I don't get the email again? Thanks!

I didn't receive the email and I use Gmail; however, I'm good on the NRMP website. Will this be a problem on Monday or can I log onto the NRMP to see if I matched if I don't get the email again? Thanks!

Same here - still waiting on the e-mail but I'm SOAP eligible on the R3 website. I'm guessing that the NRMP/R3 system will update at 1pm like it's supposed to, but the e-mail may or may not work. I'm not sure if the issue with Gmail is an NRMP problem or a Gmail problem.

Didn't the algorithm win a Nobel prize?
It's a little bit of a misconception. I came up with the same algorithm to solve a similar problem before I had heard of the stable marriage problem. That's not at all saying I'm smart, it really just is a simple algorithm.

What won the Nobel prize was the way Shapley and Roth proved that the algorithm was optimal AND stable (those terms have a specific meaning in econ) and in doing so essentially spawned a newly formalized field of economic study.

They are apparently having issues with gmail server. Someone on Reddit called

sorry i was out...so it is confirmed many didn't get it due to issues?
i dont think its a server issue as i use gmail and i got it

I called the NRMP and the person I spoke with said it was a Gmail issue. I just received the SOAP email in my Gmail inbox, so yay!!

I called the NRMP and the person I spoke with said it was a Gmail issue. I just received the SOAP email in my Gmail inbox, so yay!!

yes but many people using gmail got the earlier email today and many did not...some still did!

and everyone got this second email as they used a different server to send..they said Monday will be same server as earlier one so if you didn't get email earlier today...you will likely not on Monday

To expand on this, it's actually a very simple algorithm, not far from a sorting method (bubble sort.) The small amount of additional complexity is incorporating couples.
"Small amount of additional complexity" = converts algorithm solution from polynomial to superpolynomial complexity... what with the expansion of medical schools and residencies, maybe that's why they have given themselves a few weeks to run the algorithm? Lol. At least it is NP-complete so the (eventual) solution can be proven correct in polynomial time.

Your comment did get me curious though as to what kind of polynomials we are talking about. The stable marriage problem (like bubble sort) is O(n^2). I haven't done the math but my gut feeling is the residency match would be O(n * m) then, increasing linearly with an increase in either applicants or residency slots.

If it continues to hold that the variations like couples matching don't practically add much additional complexity, then as long as the time it takes to double the number of applicants AND double the number of residency slots (i.e. slowing the run time by a factor of four) takes longer than 3 years (the time it would take to increase computing power by a factor of four) the match algorithm is gonna take less and less time to run every year. Seventeen seconds is a maximum.

"Small amount of additional complexity" = converts algorithm solution from polynomial to superpolynomial complexity... what with the expansion of medical schools and residencies, maybe that's why they have given themselves a few weeks to run the algorithm? Lol. At least it is NP-complete so the (eventual) solution can be proven correct in polynomial time.

Your comment did get me curious though as to what kind of polynomials we are talking about. The stable marriage problem (like bubble sort) is O(n^2). I haven't done the math but my gut feeling is the residency match would be O(n * m) then, increasing linearly with an increase in either applicants or residency slots.

If it continues to hold that the variations like couples matching don't practically add much additional complexity, then as long as the time it takes to double the number of applicants AND double the number of residency slots (i.e. slowing the run time by a factor of four) takes longer than 3 years (the time it would take to increase computing power by a factor of four) the match algorithm is gonna take less and less time to run every year. Seventeen seconds is a maximum.
To make sure we're on the same page, stable marriage is the same as the singles-only resident algorithm.

Here's a great overview of the couples algorithm. I guess technically with couples the algorithm time *could* be infinite, given its NP-incompleteness.

Match week starts tomorrow! I can't believe how fast and slow it has went by.

Match week starts tomorrow! I can't believe how fast and slow it has went by.

Congratulations. The big day is tomorrow right? At least you know you'll match your chosen specialty. The where on Friday has to be the gravy? I bet the WAMC for 2017-2018 will be started within 1 minute of you guys finding out on Friday (in poor taste).

Congratulations. The big day is tomorrow right? At least you know you'll match your chosen specialty. The where on Friday has to be the gravy? I bet the WAMC for 2017-2018 will be started within 1 minute of you guys finding out on Friday (in poor taste).

No worries! I totally understand why people are anxious about their stats and stuff. Although I don't understand why people with >240 are like "what are my chances if I apply to 50 programs". Lol

Honestly, around now is an appropriate time to be planning electives, aways, figuring out when/if you need to take step 2 (the answer is yes, but a lot of people don't know that because they're not SDN regulars), etc. I don't blame them for being antsy.

Agreed that it's fine to wait until after this cycle is over, tho.