Official 2017 Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well a forwarning to future readers, you are from the typical applicant, so your posts should be read with that in mind.
We get it. Chill out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those are some awesome lists everyone! I haven't posted much but it's been nice to follow everyone's journey this interview season. Here's my list:

1. UCLA-NPI
2. UCLA-Harbor Track
3. Yale
4. Brown
5. BIDMC
6. Baylor
7. Mt. Sinai (Icahn)
8. UC Denver
9. UTH
10. UT-Austin

I based my list on wanting to try a new location, fit with residents/program culture, and access to solid research resources. Good luck everyone!

Interesting mix. Based on your top 5, I'd put all my money on matching in the top 6.

Yeah, I agree. Clozareal has been a great contributor to this forum and never gave out the vibe of being arrogant. I think it was more informational than anything.
Plus, some applications are just all-around awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help everyone! Here's my list. I spent a lot of the season trying to decide how much to consider prestige/repuation, but ultimately decided location and fit were more important for my goals. I want to end up in Texas long-term for family reasons. I figured I would only go out of the state for residency if I liked the program significantly more than my remaining in-state options. Interested in child psych.

1. UTSW
2. Baylor
3. Wash U
4. Penn
5. UTMB
6. Home Program (northeast)
7. Michigan
8. Indiana
9. Scott&White (Temple, TX)
10. UT Austin
11. UT Houston

In retrospect, this was probably too many interviews and definitely way, way too many applications.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't think there are any glaring problems, quite the contrary. I think it's an excellent program, probably the best in Ohio and certainly among the best in the midwest imo. I didn't gel with the residents and don't like Cincinnati. For me personally, gut feeling/program goals fitting with mine >>> prestige of program.

Sounds fair! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree with your approach to ranking - personal fit is paramount. Anyway, just trying to reassure myself that I didn't miss some huge gap in education quality. I can live with the fact that Cincy/Ohio isn't everyone's cup of tea!

For people who are not from Cincy and its environs, it can be a somewhat challenging place to adjust to. People think it's totally normal to open conversations by asking where you went to high school.

Also, OTR is great and all, but it's not a super exciting place.

:laugh: That's a completely accurate assessment!

I think it's good to have different viewpoints including the viewpoints of people with great stats so There's a broad spectrum to see for potential applicants. I know when I was applying it was hard to find many view points from dos so that's why I kind of share my experience a little. My stats are all over the place so hopefully that helps some future applicant lol

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. I thought clozareal's detailed post was informative, if only to see how the 1% live. I didn't feel threatened by it; there is room enough in psych for all of us.

If anybody is curious how an average applicant fared, I come from an average USMD school in the south with average-ish scores for psych. I have no major pluses like psych research or an honors in anything, and no major minuses (just little stuff like taking 5 years to get through med school). 3 LORs, only one from psych.

My return on application investment was 25%. I applied to 80 programs and got interviews at 20. Yes, I spent ~$1,500 on applications alone. I had no geographic preference so I applied to a lot of places that I had no connection to, hoping something would stick. The top half of clozareal's list reads like a list of places that declined to interviewed me. Whatever. I had a wonderful interview season, saw a lot of cities and a lot of programs, and had fun building a list of where the whole family would like to live for the next 4 years.

Good luck class of 2018!

Reactions: 8 users
I guess I'll post mine. I'm getting kind of nervous because I really loved some of the programs near the top of my list but they're probably sort of competitive. It is what it is though and hopefully I'll wind up somewhere nice.

1. Johns Hopkins
2. Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
3. Brown
4. Duke
5. Hofstra Northwell
6. Stony Brook
7. Jefferson
8. UMass
9. Mt. Sinai Beth Israel
10. Dartmouth
11. Harvard South Shore
12. Montefiore
13. Drexel

I really loved Johns Hopkins and just felt like I belonged there. I'm trying not to get too attached to anything but it's hard for me with this place. I just loved everything about it. I got along great with the residents and when I talked to one interviewer about the vibe I got from the program and how I felt like it was a great fit for me, he explained that this was exactly how he felt decades ago when he came there. I felt like it was hard working but relaxed and everybody was committed to education. Clinical exposure with various specialty services seemed world-class, and I think the perspectives approach makes a lot of sense in teaching and understanding psychiatry. I loved the prospect of working with both Baltimore's most vulnerable and some of the more eccentric referrals Hopkins can get. Loved the Meyer building/subspecialty services. Trying to stay detached but I absolutely loved it there.

Numbers 2 and 3 were almost a toss up for me. It came down to the fact that I'm considering C-L and I felt that BIDMC might have a somewhat better med-surg hospital for this (but I have nothing objective to back this up) and that I might be slightly happier in Boston than Providence, though I adored the latter as well. Both fantastic programs. Residents were very friendly at both places.

Duke, I loved the med-psych emphasis and the EBM focus (though I'm still unsure how useful the latter is in reality). The residents were all friendly and happy despite clearly working harder than most. The main issue here for me is location, but it would probably be fine.

Northwell had lots of subspecialty units and a thriving ECT service. Lots of research. Education emphasis. Good location for me. Stony Brook was similar.

Honorable mentions: Dartmouth was fantastic and probably deserves to be in the top 4/5 for me but I'm not sure I could sustain myself with such a rural location. HSS does a great sales pitch and I loved it there but something just felt "too good to be true" about it. Plus, lots of driving and I'm unsure about whether a VA program will provide an adequately balanced experience.

Anyway, good luck to everyone on match day. I'll be a nervous wreck as it gets closer, I'm sure, but what's done is done and it will be what it will be.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree. I thought clozareal's detailed post was informative, if only to see how the 1% live. I didn't feel threatened by it; there is room enough in psych for all of us.

If anybody is curious how an average applicant fared, I come from an average USMD school in the south with average-ish scores for psych. I have no major pluses like psych research or an honors in anything, and no major minuses (just little stuff like taking 5 years to get through med school). 3 LORs, only one from psych.

My return on application investment was 25%. I applied to 80 programs and got interviews at 20. Yes, I spent ~$1,500 on applications alone. I had no geographic preference so I applied to a lot of places that I had no connection to, hoping something would stick. The top half of clozareal's list reads like a list of places that declined to interviewed me. Whatever. I had a wonderful interview season, saw a lot of cities and a lot of programs, and had fun building a list of where the whole family would like to live for the next 4 years.

Good luck class of 2018!

I agree. Clozareal has been contributing to the forum a lot and I'm really thankful.

I'm a non-US IMG from a reasonably ranked med school in Asia (about the same world ranking as a mid-range USMD school I suppose). I applied to more than 90 programs, spent about $2,000 in application, and had 5 interviews. I have to say that although it's been tough, I had a great interview experience with just 5 programs. I enjoyed a lot getting to know the programs, chatting with residents and other applicants. It gave me an opportunity to really sit down and think about my future. Where do my family and I want to live? How do I work towards my career goals? These are the questions that were at the back of my head but got swallowed by busy daily routines. The interview and ranking process really helped me to seriously think it through.

I'm anxious to find out the results in less than 3 weeks. So are most people here I guess. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I became a semi-casual lurker during this interview season. I kept meaning to make an account earlier to contribute but just never got around to it.

I want to thank everyone for being so supportive to each other (felt this way despite being a non-poster), providing amazing information (and those who posted in the past years), and I definitely feel very lucky to enter a field that is going to house genuinely kind human beings :)

Good luck everyone!

1. NYP-Cornell
2. B I Deaconess
3. Cambridge Health Alliance
4. Johns Hopkins
5. Montefiore/Einstein
6. Icahn SOM St. Luke's/Roosevelt
7. VA Greater LA/UCLA/SFV
8. UT Southwestern
9. Dartmouth-Hitchcock
10. University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt
(Will leave off home institution and bottom few to keep things kind of anonymous).

And now that I'm done with most of my hard rotations and interviews are over, I would love to contribute despite being a bit late, so if anyone has questions (or for next year's cycle) please feel free to let me know!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Interesting mix. Based on your top 5, I'd put all my money on matching in the top 6.
I hope you're right! I think my list definitely reflects my eclectic taste. I applied to a diverse mix of places while hoping for the best.

I'm quite surprised at how low the last few posters had ranked Dartmouth, and how high they'd ranked Johns Hopkins!

I don't know how it usually it, but I can honestly say that the Hopkins residents were some of the coolest, most diverse, and cohesive residents that I met on the trail. Even though it didn't end up very high on my own list I can totally see why it'd be high on other people's, especially those who want super strong medicine training.

Members don't see this ad :)
why? hopkins probably offers the best clinical psychiatry training in the country (barring psychodynamic psychotherapy);?Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere. unless you like rural psychiatry why would anyone go there?

I'm quite surprised at how low the last few posters had ranked Dartmouth, and how high they'd ranked Johns Hopkins!

Any reason? Just curious what your impressions were.

For me, Dartmouth was an excellent program. Very little fault I could find from a program strength point of view. The main issue was that it really is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I know people have different perspectives on this but for me it's really more rural than I'm used to. I like outdoorsy stuff but possibly not enough that I'd be happy in that small of a town.

I want a really strong clinical program where you get good supervision seeing a lot of different types of patients. I want a program that values education. I probably have a more of a biological angle to how I think about psychiatry. I also like thinking about psychiatry, on occasion, from a birds-eye philosophical perspective. For me Hopkins hit all the main points. I'm also not afraid of working hard if it means seeing more patients and getting more competent.

why? hopkins probably offers the best clinical psychiatry training in the country (barring psychodynamic psychotherapy);?Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere. unless you like rural psychiatry why would anyone go there?

I would imagine I'm not the only one who would sorely miss not having exposure to psychodynamic psychotherapy. Without getting into the issue of its merits, it provided an incredible richness to my training experience and I would view its absence as a pretty big downside to a residency.

And yes Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere which is likely not for most but if you are looking for a progressive enclave with great amenities in a rural setting, it is, like UVermont, a great location!

From speaking to other candidates, the two biggest turnoffs for Dartmouth vs other programs were the small town location and the call schedule. Folks were complaining about both in the Hitchcock lobby post-interview while we all waited for our rides.

I don't know how it usually it, but I can honestly say that the Hopkins residents were some of the coolest, most diverse, and cohesive residents that I met on the trail. Even though it didn't end up very high on my own list I can totally see why it'd be high on other people's, especially those who want super strong medicine training.

Any reason? Just curious what your impressions were.

For me, Dartmouth was an excellent program. Very little fault I could find from a program strength point of view. The main issue was that it really is kind of in the middle of nowhere. I know people have different perspectives on this but for me it's really more rural than I'm used to. I like outdoorsy stuff but possibly not enough that I'd be happy in that small of a town.

I want a really strong clinical program where you get good supervision seeing a lot of different types of patients. I want a program that values education. I probably have a more of a biological angle to how I think about psychiatry. I also like thinking about psychiatry, on occasion, from a birds-eye philosophical perspective. For me Hopkins hit all the main points. I'm also not afraid of working hard if it means seeing more patients and getting more competent.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who would sorely miss not having exposure to psychodynamic psychotherapy. Without getting into the issue of its merits, it provided an incredible richness to my training experience and I would view its absence as a pretty big downside to a residency.

And yes Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere which is likely not for most but if you are looking for a progressive enclave with great amenities in a rural setting, it is, like UVermont, a great location!

From speaking to other candidates, the two biggest turnoffs for Dartmouth vs other programs were the small town location and the call schedule. Folks were complaining about both in the Hitchcock lobby post-interview while we all waited for our rides.

This is all very interesting to hear. I sadly know no current residents at JH, and I had always thought they were the Mayo of the east coast, with a very narrow breadth of training. I have worked with residents from Dartmouth, and while they're not book/literature-smart, they're amazing clinically. I can only chalk that up to the training there. I am aware of the somewhat gruesome call schedule there though.

His app is a good indicator for future med students of the type of applicant you'd have to be to get an interview at every top program in the country if so inclined.

For those who have good scores/above average research and genuine interest in psych, I think the whole process is still a crapshoot - I heard crickets from several programs I expected to interview at while getting early invites at others that were a pleasant surprise.

Like any good program they do provide some training psychodynamic psychotherapy. It is just not at the level of NE or DC programs (and fact is few programs outside of the NE and norcal provide that kind of psychodynamic psychotherapy training, and sadly many programs provide little or zero exposure which is not the case at hopkins). No program has it all. But hopkins does a very good job of providing exposure to the breadth of psychiatry in a way that no other program really does including eating disorders, sexual disorders, paraphilias, neuropsychiatry, Huntington's, chronic pain, and family therapy. I know of know other program that provides mandatory rotations in all of this.

The trade off of course, is that Hopkins is one of the least flexible programs out there, with far less elective time than other top programs. This is one of the main reasons why it was at the bottom of my rank list not to mention that Baltimore is not exactly where most psychiatrists would choose to live.

Like any good program they do provide some training psychodynamic psychotherapy. It is just not at the level of NE or DC programs (and fact is few programs outside of the NE and norcal provide that kind of psychodynamic psychotherapy training, and sadly many programs provide little or zero exposure which is not the case at hopkins). No program has it all. But hopkins does a very good job of providing exposure to the breadth of psychiatry in a way that no other program really does including eating disorders, sexual disorders, paraphilias, neuropsychiatry, Huntington's, chronic pain, and family therapy. I know of know other program that provides mandatory rotations in all of this.

The trade off of course, is that Hopkins is one of the least flexible programs out there, with far less elective time than other top programs. This is one of the main reasons why it was at the bottom of my rank list not to mention that Baltimore is not exactly where most psychiatrists would choose to live.

Didn't know they had all those required rotations. What I was referring to by narrow clinical breadth was the inpatient-heavy experience, treating mostly refractory patients.

Didn't know they had all those required rotations. What I was referring to by narrow clinical breadth was the inpatient-heavy experience, treating mostly refractory patients.

This was more my impression also - that they still valued their perspectives approach as central despite the backwards discourse of its founder and ongoing champion:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/johns-hopkins-professor-e_b_9510808.html

I don't know if having a paraphilias rotation really makes up for that ;)

Here is my list.

1. UF Gainesville
2. MCG
3. USC-Greenville
4. UF-Jax
5. UAB
6. Vanderbilt
7. Carolinas MC
8. U South Alabama
9. MAHEC

This was more my impression also - that they still valued their perspectives approach as central despite the backwards discourse of its founder and ongoing champion:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brynn-tannehill/johns-hopkins-professor-e_b_9510808.html

I don't know if having a paraphilias rotation really makes up for that ;)
This is all very interesting to hear. I sadly know no current residents at JH, and I had always thought they were the Mayo of the east coast, with a very narrow breadth of training. I have worked with residents from Dartmouth, and while they're not book/literature-smart, they're amazing clinically. I can only chalk that up to the training there. I am aware of the somewhat gruesome call schedule there though.

I didn't at all get the impression of narrow breadth of training, but I hope that lots of other applicants did so I have a chance of matching there!

Its interesting to see how a top(or bottom)-of-the-list program changes. I know when I interviewed at Hopkins 4 years ago I was also a little star struck walking on it's hallowed grounds. But I walked away feeling like no one was really 'present' during my interview day. Some of it was pager calls during the interviews, but the entire day, I got the sense that everyone was waiting for whatever was coming next. There seemed to be very little emphasis on 'the patient' in all of my interviews or talking about the program...and given the history of Johns Hopkins, is not really all that surprising. Fundamentally, I entered psychiatry to be have the privilege of being with people in a therapeutic setting, and at least on that particular day for this particular applicant JH was not the place.

Also, disagree with the assessment of needing to be in New England or DC to get a good psychodynamic training. But if you aren't in a place where it is not a core part of the curriculum, you need to be somewhere that will be flexible with allowing you to carve out time for additional individual therapy and/or supervision. I think my program relies entirely too heavily on CBT, but it was easy to find a psychodynamic psychotherapist for my own individual weekly therapy and procure psychodynamic supervision.

It comes down to recognizing a learning deficit and searching out a way to fill that need.

UCSD
USC+LAC
Harbor UCLA
WashU
University of Arizona Phoenix @ Banner
UCLA SFV
UCR
Kaiser Fontana
U of Miami
Cleveland Clinic
Case
Tucson

I feel like my rank list and #1 choice has stirred up some controversy. All I'll say is that I felt like it was the perfect place for me but I understand that it's not a great place for other people. I think Hopkins is and always will be a bit controversial in psychiatry, for some deserved and some undeserved reasons.

It is what it is. Hopefully it all works out and people wind up at programs that fit their interests and not at programs that don't. :shrug:

Last edited:
Here is my short list
1) Indiana Univ SOM
2) Albert Einstein PA
3) Summa Health system
4)UN Las Vegas
5) UI Urbana

UCSD
USC+LAC
Harbor UCLA
WashU
UCLA SFV
UCR
Kaiser Fontana
U of Miami
Cleveland Clinic
Case
Tucson

Care to share why Phoenix >>> Tucson?

UCSD
USC+LAC
Harbor UCLA
WashU
UCLA SFV
UCR
Kaiser Fontana
U of Miami
Cleveland Clinic
Case
Tucson

Interesting! Care to share your decision process in ranking USC+LAC over Harbor UCLA?

It was a totally personal choice for me pretty heavily swayed by location. I did not want to live in Tucson (I like big cities!) and Phoenix is closer to home for me. I also felt like I fit in more with the residents in Phoenix. Though the facilities are a lot nicer in Tucson and they have some interesting opportunities that Phoenix did not, ultimately I did not think I would be happy living there.

Interesting! Care to share your decision process in ranking USC+LAC over Harbor UCLA?

I did an out of town at one of those and felt that the residents and attendings were more close-knit with one another at that location. At both places, the residents were super cool and hung out a lot together...both groups seemed really happy.

At the end of the day though, I felt that USC+LAC has a broader range of diverse patient populations because you get VA/private at Keck/and LA county experiences. This is more along the lines of how I want my training because I will be going into private practice. At Harbor, you only get the county population. It's definitely a pro though that Harbor allows internal moonlighting starting 2nd year whereas USC is external moonlighting starting third year. So for me, I made the choice based on wanting to be in downtown LA>Torrance, having more opportunities with private patients at USC, and the more diverse rotations at USC (at harbor, I think 8 months of PGY2 is spent in the inpatient units while PGY2 at USC is much more well-rounded with different services). I got the impression that USC lets their residents explore their interests on a deeper level because there's just more options in the rotations there.

Similarly, I ranked Maricopa several steps above Tucson purely for family, city, and other external personal reasons. Tucson is a great program and had I been evaluating programs in isolation, Tucson would have been higher on my list.

Of course if we all evaluated programs purely on their own merits, gems like Dartmouth would be higher on other people's lists ;-)

Last edited:
did everyone get the NRMP Support Match Week email?

UCSD
USC+LAC
Harbor UCLA
WashU
UCLA SFV
UCR
Kaiser Fontana
U of Miami
Cleveland Clinic
Case
Tucson
CCF higher than Case? I was under the impression that the Clinic's program was a bit of a joke compared to CW. Residents heading out after noon and what not.

CCF higher than Case? I was under the impression that the Clinic's program was a bit of a joke compared to CW. Residents heading out after noon and what not.
Out by noon? Sounds pretty awesome to me! ;)

I also ranked CC higher than CW. I felt like I only met like 3 people on my Case interview and the interview was lackluster and uniformative. I felt like since I only met a couple residents that they may not have many who were very happy. I got a much more positive vibe from Cleveland Clinic. That said, neither program was super high on my list.

I don't think there are any glaring problems, quite the contrary. I think it's an excellent program, probably the best in Ohio and certainly among the best in the midwest imo. I didn't gel with the residents and don't like Cincinnati. For me personally, gut feeling/program goals fitting with mine >>> prestige of program.

I agree with this completely. I thought the program was very impressive but the residents seemed like miserable people who would be miserable to work with. Location is not helping.

I agree with this completely. I thought the program was very impressive but the residents seemed like miserable people who would be miserable to work with. Location is not helping.

I had such a bad time with the residents at dinner that I considered not even ranking the program but I chickened out.

Why was it so bad?

It just felt really broish which was weird and I didn't feel like any of the residents could carry a conversation well and I was the only woman there (I met 2 females total the whole time I was there). The only things the residents wanted to talk about were beer and college sports, neither of which I am in to and I could tell the other applicants weren't feeling it either. Also nobody seemed like they loved they program they just went there because their family was nearby or their wife had a job there (not that family factors don't matter, but I have no one in cinci so I need program details)

Also I know that it's likely institutional policy but I find it so weird when programs won't pay for alcohol at dinners yet take us to a brewery. Like I don't need to drink, it's not a big deal, but it's just weird.

Last edited:
It just felt really broish which was weird and I didn't feel like any of the residents could carry a conversation well and I was the only woman there (I met 2 females total the whole time I was there). The only things the residents wanted to talk about were beer and college sports, neither of which I am in to and I could tell the other applicants weren't feeling it either. Also nobody seemed like they loved they program they just went there because their family was nearby or their wife had a job there (not that family factors don't matter, but I have no one in cinci so I need program details)

Also I know that it's likely institutional policy but I find it so weird when programs won't pay for alcohol at dinners yet take us to a brewery. Like I don't need to drink, it's not a big deal, but it's just weird.

I also got a weird vibe on my Cincinnati interview. I am sure its an excellent program, just not one that I want to attend.

Not to sound entitled, but if I fly across the country and show up to a 730am interview, I don't think having coffee or some sort of breakfast food is too much to ask.

Reactions: 7 users
DO, <500 comlex, no usmle, no red flags

1. UCF
2. John Peter Smith
3. UNR
4. VCU
5. UK
6. NEOMED
7. ECU
8. ETSU
9. Meharry
10. Community Health

hi all. I just received an email from LECOM ARNOT in elmira new york stating that they have opened up a new position in their psychiatry residency.
they are an ACGME program now
I have already registered and entered my match

they are asking if I want to interview. Being that they are in NY and not in NYC, I'm very interested in the program, but I don't want to jeopardize or break the rules of the NRMP by doing ANYTHING outside the match.

Am I allowed to interview for this position now?
How does that affect NRMP?
will they get all their candidates for this extra spot via the SOAP?

help me out! I'm confused.

At this point, you will be breaking the rules if you match and don't report to the program you match at. You can probably talk to who ever you like, but you are already obligated at this point. I suppose if you don't match, don't SOAP and then accept this position, I don't see what you could be accused of. This is a lot of "ifs" though. This program is in more danger of messing with the all in rule if anyone is doing something wrong. Truly, this would be a lot cleaner to discuss post SOAP/Match for you and the program. Otherwise, you are most likely wasting each other's time.