Official 2017 Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really loved Johns Hopkins and just felt like I belonged there.

This is exactly how I felt about Hopkins as well. I interviewed there late in the season, and ironically I almost cancelled my interview! I really wasn't expecting to like it (given previous sdn threads), but I was blown away by how much I loved it. Everyone was so real and interesting and passionate about psychiatry. The PD was kick-ass too (shout out to other kick-ass PDs at VCU and UNC).

It would have been my #1, but I ranked it a little lower due to my SO.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No email yet, but R3 status has changed. So happy that I matched! Now the question is where

Reactions: 4 users
WATCH OUT, BOUT TO GIVE ERRBODY SOME SEROQUEL COME JULY :cool:

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MATCHED!!!

Reactions: 9 users
How in the world does one even focus for the last few months of medical school after the match occurs?

Reactions: 1 users
MATCHED! I heard there are only 3 open spots this year :wow:. To those who say psych has not gotten more competitive, explain yo'self...

Reactions: 5 users
Matched! :) This will make the week of ER night shifts go by a little faster, I think. Congrats, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Only 2 spots in soap. I have a job next year!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Filled. SOAP openings is not a function of specialty competitiveness. It is a measure of PD risk aversion.

Reactions: 9 users
MATCHED.. Can't wait till Friday to find out where.. SO HAPPY!!

Reactions: 2 users
How in the world does one even focus for the last few months of medical school after the match occurs?

Easy rotations, planning for vacation, traveling, vacation, getting back from vacation, planning for next vacation.

No worries! I totally understand why people are anxious about their stats and stuff. Although I don't understand why people with >240 are like "what are my chances if I apply to 50 programs". Lol

I mean, I had a 238, applied to 100 programs, and got 25 interviews.

MATCHEDDD!!! :happy:

so excited to find out where we end up!

Reactions: 5 users
If you mean scores, the averages were spread around the mean like always, but we are in the same boat as applicants. Now that everyone applies everywhere, we can invite just the highest scores and risk not filling.
If you mean the average number of applications, these were universally up. If you mean the average number of applicants going into psychiatry, this was up a little bit, but not much more than the increase in the number of graduates.

If you mean the average number of applicants going into psychiatry, this was up a little bit, but not much more than the increase in the number of graduates.

What's the source for this? Is there data for the 2016-2017 match year yet?
What you said is consistent with what's been going on for the past few years. I'll be interested to know if it's any different this year!

Separate from that, I'm really excited to find out who our new interns will be! I'm a PGY-2, loved so many of the applicants that I interviewed or met at dinner, and can't wait to welcome them!

I think the NRMP did show applicant numbers for this year, if not, I'm thinking of last year's numbers. Historically numbers move slowly. Be careful about match expectations from the program side. Applicants reach euphoria or depression in one big bang, programs fall in love with about 10 people for everyone they get.

Matched as well!!

Just curious, does anyone know the 4 programs that were unfilled? NRMP's website said 4 unfilled psychiatry positions after the match Monday.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched as well!!

Just curious, does anyone know the 4 programs that were unfilled? NRMP's website said 4 unfilled psychiatry positions after the match Monday.

Anyone in the SOAP process will know, but I think it is technically a match violation for them to share. You can see the full preliminary match statistics when they release them sometime around match day.

Once we find out where we matched, how can we find out who our upcoming co-interns are?

Once we find out where we matched, how can we find out who our upcoming co-interns are?
By contacting your program or by seeing other people here post who also matched. That's about it.

What's the source for this? Is there data for the 2016-2017 match year yet?
What you said is consistent with what's been going on for the past few years. I'll be interested to know if it's any different this year!

Separate from that, I'm really excited to find out who our new interns will be! I'm a PGY-2, loved so many of the applicants that I interviewed or met at dinner, and can't wait to welcome them!
I believe the source for applicant data is from ERAS. It was posted in the Med Student forum. The trends were that the number of psych applicants was slowly going down (we are losing foreign applicants at twice the rate we are gaining American ones), but the number of applications per student was going up (it jumped from 35/applicant to 40/applicant).

This makes sense, as the general advice we applicants hear is "apply to the same number as last year's applicants... plus five more to be sure". Kind of like every CEO pays themselves the industry average... plus 10%.

Only 2 spots in soap. I have a job next year!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MATCHED! I heard there are only 3 open spots this year :wow:. To those who say psych has not gotten more competitive, explain yo'self...

Matched as well!!

Apparently the number of unmatched psych spots is trending up every day as well.

I believe the source for applicant data is from ERAS.

Thanks for the direction! I found it; for whatever reason I really enjoy stuff like this. Here's the link to the preliminary data for 2017. Past reports are also linked there.

Highlights from the preliminary spreadsheet:

Average Applications received by psychiatry program:

From USGs: 2014 - 175, 2015 - 218, 2016 - 294, 2017 - 344
From IMGs: 2014 - 670, 2015 - 743, 2016 - 783, 2017 - 765

In just a few years--from 2014-2017--there has been an increase in 151 applications received on average per program. That's a significant additional burden on program leadership!

Average Applications sent per psychiatry applicant:

From USGs: 2014 - 25, 2015 - 28, 2016 - 34, 2017 - 39
From IMGs: 2014 - 38, 2015 - 43, 2016 - 47, 2017 - 51

This is a trend across all specialties. Amazing that the 2014 applicant was applying to 13-14 fewer programs than the 2017 applicant!

Total Numbers of Psychiatry Applicants:

USGs: 2014 - 1305, 2015 - 1478, 2016 - 1662, 2017 - 1809
IMGs: 2014 - 3267, 2015 - 3257, 2016 - 3220, 2017 - 3077

504 more USGs applied this year than in 2014, and 190 fewer IMGs. Interesting to look at in comparison to the overall trends for all specialties, below.

Overall ERAS activity:
These are for people that registered, submitted, and ultimately applied for residency positions.

USGs: 2014 - 25,921, 2015 - 26,270, 2016 - 26,719, 2017 - 27,737
IMGs: 2014 - 18,904, 2015 - 18,561, 2016 - 18,695, 2017 - 18,574
Total: 2014 - 44,825, 2015 - 45,231, 2016 - 45,414, 2017 - 46,311

2016-2017 is one of only three years since 2001 where the number of USGs increased by >1,000, the others being 2012-2013 and 2005-2006. Additionally, 2016-2017 was the largest increase in total number of applicants (897) since 2012-2013 (1,329) and 2009-2010 (1,167).

Reactions: 4 users
And the conclusion is, get into a US school because the off shore for profit educational mills are being squeezed out. Psychiatry has or had the most room for expansion so it will be absorbing the increase in domestic grads disproportionately for a while.

Let's see what Nrmp match stats show. %US MD is the best indicator for competitiveness. I'm gonna predict it's gonna go up to around 64% US MD.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

As much as that would rock, it is still no where near the 90s% most other specialties have. We still have lots of room relative to others. I did hear someone say at a faculty meeting that the millennials are all about derm or psych. I would be able to die happy if this became true.

Sure. But 3 years ago it was 51%. 65% it a massive improvement.

And specialities like radiology and gas are in the 70% zone. Give it 3 years and psych will be overtaking those as well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I hear that the program directors got the Match results this afternoon? Ahh! So exciting!

Congratulations are in order for everyone today. It is exciting. We will wait to start the 2017-2018 WAMC Official Thread. You guys deserve this day.

One hour left. Goodluck to all the people here, and to all the awesome psych applicants i talked to along the way.

Ill leave a ralph wiggum quote here for reference...

"When he grows up, I wanna be like me" .-Ralph wiggum