Official 2017 Rank Order List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about ranking Cornell vs Yale? I liked Yale's interview day much more, but for reasons being in New York the next four years would be better for my life circumstances. interests are in academics, cross cultural psych and working with minorities, psychotherapy, possibly forensics.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't go wrong with either -- I think they both select for highly self-motivated people who can start their own projects. My sense is that Yale is a much warmer environment and more supportive if its trainees (both elective scheduling and general structure of the program), while Columbia has more of a mix of faculty interested in education vs. their own academic endeavors. Obviously, biggest difference is location and quality of life, but they're still only about 1.5 to 2 hours apart, and Columbia has higher cache (which is not necessarily going to have a meaningful impact on your career).

You can always split the difference and do residency at Yale + community psych fellowship at Columbia, but I'd say go with location/personal reasons.
Thanks so much, Salpingo! I appreciate the perspective a great deal!

Reactions: 1 user
What about ranking Cornell vs Yale? I liked Yale's interview day much more, but for reasons being in New York the next four years would be better for my life circumstances. interests are in academics, cross cultural psych and working with minorities, psychotherapy, possibly forensics.

Again, two great programs. On paper, they're pretty different - Yale has relatively close ties with its university (student counseling center, free classes to audit), while Cornell is really only connected by name and a several hour drive to the "main campus." Yale has a larger, spread out class, with multiple sites (including VA) and people living in and out of the city; Cornell really only has two sites and has a "tighter" feel. While Yale has a gigantic research apparatus, Cornell has very limited basic science research, but focuses on "clinical scholarship" and extramural research.

When I was interviewing, Yale had the progressive educational program, while Cornell was much more traditionalist. That's probably changing, with Cornell offering more elective time. But that's still the trend -- no one is going to convince a Big Name psychoanalyst to do a TED-style PowerPoint.

To your specific interests, Yale is famous for and proud of its cross cultural work, but you'll get much greater diversity in NYC. Psychotherapy is really the crown jewel of the Cornell, but that doesn't mean you can't find excellent supervision at Yale. Very few programs have forensics built in, so you have to seek it out, but either program can set you up with good experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here have thoughts about Yale vs. Columbia for someone interested in public (or possibly forensic psychiatry), mental health policy research and medical education? Might want to do child too. I loved both programs but fell head over heels for one with personal/location reasons compelling me towards the other. Hoping input might help me choose which to rank 1 and which to rank 2.

These are both great programs and I won't try and offer an opinion on which you should rank 1st. But, I'll share with you some of what was great about Yale for me in the areas you highlight. The medical education piece has really been amazing - there are the usual opportunities to teach Med students, both in didactics and clinical sites. But with a modest effort, I was also able to develop a lecture for the incoming interns, wrote three medical education research papers and a book chapter, and will this year for the third time be attending a conference for medical students interested in child and adolescent psychiatry (at no cost). And then the highlight of my experience was being able to teach a class on gender development to the Yale undergrads.

I don't know if Columbia residents are doing this too, they may be, but I couldn't have asked for a better experience:)

Anyone here have thoughts about Yale vs. Columbia for someone interested in public (or possibly forensic psychiatry), mental health policy research and medical education? Might want to do child too. I loved both programs but fell head over heels for one with personal/location reasons compelling me towards the other. Hoping input might help me choose which to rank 1 and which to rank 2.

If you are interested in public psychiatry and policy, then Columbia probably has more of a longstanding history than Yale. They have the first and oldest public psychiatry fellowship in the country - many of the people who started and are involved in public psychiatry fellowships around the US were trained at Columbia. The way New York structures their mental health care delivery is that anyone who goes to the New York State Psychiatric Institute gets their psychiatric care paid for (ie free care). This tends to generally be the poor and most vulnerable. One of the units that you rotate on there (Washington Heights Community service) is an inpatient unit exclusively for this patient population. They balance this out with Columbia University Medical Center and New York Presbyterian, which sees private and medicare insured patients including extremely rare cases. The one thing they are lacking is a VA system, but they see their fair share of PTSD, addiction, etc. This is all on a single campus, which allows them to have didactics every day. They have a ton of policy work being done to evaluate medicaid data related to psychiatric care in all of NY state, which ends up being discussed with NY state legislatures at least once a year with Columbia faculty.

In terms of outpatient public psych training, there are well-established clinics (Autobah, Inwood, Washington Heights) that fits into the NY state mission of dedicating a sizable budget for mental health care. Yale obviously has lots of opportunities in public psychiatry too, with their own fellowship and an impressive Connecticut Mental Health Center and Connecticut Valley Hospital. The faculty at both programs are excellent, but the infrastructure of how much public psychiatry is built into the adult residency program and number of public psychiatry faculty seems to me much higher at Columbia. You can do a selective track built in to your third year in public health and policy.

Overall, it just depends on if you want to live in NYC vs New Haven. One is more expensive with less salary and the other is less expensive with a much higher salary (although Columbia salary at PGY3-4 is much higher than Yale's). Both will most likely satisfy your desire to pursue public psychiatry.

1) HCMC will offer what appears to be the most robust foundationg with which to build a clinical acumen. Hard to argue with 200 beds, newer facilities, etc. No doubt a solid training, you will leave unafraid to work anywhere in the world. It is unbelievable how much one can learn spending one month in the HCMC ED. Furthermore, it would be quite feasible to find housing between the hcmc and regions hospital. Commute isn't something I think you should be super concerned about (10-15 minute commute). If this is a big deal though, I mean no disrespect and thats totally cool! I think the one drawback here would be for those who desire to be the future of academia. This program is quality without the name brand. HCMC proudly advertises that they are about training excellent community docs vs. academicians. I think the PD really will try and cater to whatever you're looking for though, research included.

2) Lets face it.... Mayo's reputation isn't due to its psychiatry department historically speaking. Training in surgery or medicine subspecialties? I totally get it. But it is a little lost on me why this program is considered by many top candidates, while the other sites are forgotten alltogether. For those who value a brand name above all else, I suppose it does hold this, and a major advantage to this program will of course include the doorway it provides into research and an academic career. No doubt you will brush shoulders with some amazingly intelligent faculty, but you are still in Rochester, MN.

3) You still have to commute to Minneapolis and to Fort Snelling. Once again, I believe living somewhere strategically between Mpls and St. Paul can mitigate most meaningful differences in commute. I truly wouldn't let commute hold you back from the U of Mn or HCMC. The VA you'll work with is class leading for sure -- which means access to some impressive addictions/ptsd research if that is your jam. The hardest part with the U is the amount of faculty turnover in the past few years, lots of great folks have been lost. A promising new chair, from the bay area, will have an opportunity to do big things with this program IMO, but this takes time, trialing, and recruiting new faculty.

Salary: If you want to practice in downtown mpls, you'll do okay. However, if you consider working outside of the cities or up further north in Duluth, MN you will receive some very competitive compensation (in the neighborhood of 230k+). Can't speak to the other states, but I know psychiatrists do pretty well in ND, MN, and WI in general. Not to mention you can set yourself up with an amazingly low cost of living situation.

I think you'll be left with a tough decision for the rank, but you'll come out the other side a very competent and strong psychiatrist regardless of your choice.

Agree with above. Salary is low...more like 280k+ in cities with 40k sign on; Duluth should be 300k+ with a 50k sign on or better to compete. Some RVU people in cities making 350k or more. Private making 400k plus depending on pt load etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, that seems about right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with above. Salary is low...more like 280k+ in cities with 40k sign on; Duluth should be 300k+ with a 50k sign on or better to compete. Some RVU people in cities making 350k or more. Private making 400k plus depending on pt load etc.

That is incredible. I was not Including sign on bonus, but have not heard numbers this high. Certainly won't complain if true! :)

Hi there! I'm interested in public psychiatry, addiction, public mental health - would appreciate your thoughts on the following programs:

UNC
Vermont
U Maryland
BU
UNM

Much appreciated

Hi there! I'm interested in public psychiatry, addiction, public mental health - would appreciate your thoughts on the following programs:

UNC
Vermont
U Maryland
BU
UNM

Much appreciated

Could you write a couple of sentences about what you liked/didn't like about these programs? I think that makes it easier to give you advice (and also is valuable for everyone else in the group). Also, please consider adding formal reviews for programs that aren't already listed on the review page.

BU has Dr. Renner who is an addiction guru. Many of the residents there cited they chose BU primarily because of him and the addiction fellowship is supposed to be good (according to them). BU also has one of the most extensive addiction training/exposure for residents (even Penn, who has Chuck O'Brien barely has an addiction cirriculum woven into the general residency which seems so strange to me). I was quite impressed with the exposure that the BU residents get in this regard.

UNM is also supposed to have solid addiction training (partly because of the sheer volume of addiction/dual-diagnosis cases they see -- lots of poverty/addiction there). But I can't speak to the specifics of their training.

BU has Dr. Renner who is an addiction guru. Many of the residents there cited they chose BU primarily because of him and the addiction fellowship is supposed to be good (according to them). BU also has one of the most extensive addiction training/exposure for residents...
:thumbup:

University of Utah - Closeby, program has forensics fellowship. PD is being changed due to negative resident feedback/increased call/workload.
You sure or is this brand new? Can't find any info.

they dont have a forensic fellowship. whether they plan to start one or not, i dont know, though it probably wouldn't be very good and would have difficulty sustaining itself. i would not take an imaginary fellowship into account...

My bad, it's Addictions, not forensic.

Members don't see this ad :)

To second the others, these are all wonderful programs and will afford you top notch training. I am a resident at Yale and can best speak to what our program offers in terms of your interests. First and foremost, I wholeheartedly agree with Salpingo in that our program is incredibly friendly and warm. The department is committed to helping residents discover their niche within the field, matching residents with mentors, and developing an individualized education plan that allows them to establish a foundation for any potential career direction. I began residency with a strong interest in public psychiatry and first-episode psychosis, which were fostered by the work happening in the STEP Clinic at the Connecticut Mental Health Center (CMHC). CMHC ‘s mission spans a number of areas within psychiatry, including cultural psychiatry, administration, policy development, and the social determinants of health, in addition to housing robust research protocols in early and prodromal psychosis, addiction, OCD, and mental health services. Our Public Psychiatry Fellowship, which can be a PGY-4 fast track or a PGY-5 year, gives fellows the opportunity to train in a number of unique settings, including a walk-in acute services clinic, la Clinica Hispana, an inpatient unit serving those living with severe and persistent mental illness, and/or the state hospital with >400 beds in Middletown, CT. CMHC is also home to our Law and Psychiatry Division, which is the hub for our forensic fellowship. While I had never considered forensics, Dr. Zonana’s PGY-2 conference series was so captivating that I had to give it a second thought. Residents in their second year are invited to provide expert testimony during mock trials with the Yale Law School students – always a popular experience for the 2s!

Medical education is front and center for the program. I have been able to observe medical students conduct interviews over the course of 4 weeks, discussing formulations and technique, reviewing psychiatric write-ups, and facilitating social justice workshops with standardized patients. The Yale Art Gallery has partnered with the School of Medicine to bring students, residents, and faculty to explore the interface between art, observation, and the clinical sciences. Residents can always be found at the pre- and post-clerkship workshops, including an alcohol withdrawal exercise in the Sim Center. The director of all medical clerkships for the students is a faculty member in our department, and she is ecstatic when residents want to be involved.

My own clinical interest shifted a bit to geriatric neuropsychiatry. While I spend a lot of time thinking about dementia and neuropsych testing, I have enormously benefited from my psychotherapy training. You will have supervisors for dynamics, CBT, and potentially couples and CPT. Beginning in the second year, you care for one to two long-term weekly psychodynamic cases. Psychotherapy didactics are embedded throughout the curriculum, including analytically and CBT oriented therapists heavily contributing as discussants for case presentations. We are fortunate to have a close relationship with the Western New England Psychoanalytic Institute, where residents may take electives and have a longitudinal course in psychodynamics during PGY-3. The Yale IOP has a specific DBT track, which welcomes PGY-4s to spend part of their year gaining expertise in the modality.

When I first visited New Haven the week I interviewed, I hiked to the top of East Rock and was nothing short of charmed. Trails for hiking, running, and biking are easily accessible in many neighborhoods, and the downtown area is home to musical theater, delicious restaurants, shops, and an active nightlife. Parking has never been an issue, which is a blessing on those early internal medicine mornings. My partner and I have found lots of picturesque towns throughout New England to explore, skiing in New Hampshire, bed and breakfasts in Vermont, and the weekend trips to NYC and Boston.

I hope this helps! Please don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions -- always happy to chat.

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone's talking about top programs here I'm a little ashamed to ask...any advice on Penn State Hershey vs. University of Toledo? I feel more comfortable with the program at Toledo but a little bit freaked out by living there

Everyone's talking about top programs here I'm a little ashamed to ask...any advice on Penn State Hershey vs. University of Toledo? I feel more comfortable with the program at Toledo but a little bit freaked out by living there
Toledo's not awful--we'd visit there frequently for the zoo and science museum when I was a resident. Felt safer than Detroit! And easier to get to as well. Don't know what it would be like to live there--especially if young and single. Don't imagine there's much nightlife--at least of the more desirable kind!
Hershey is a bit isolated, as the review said, but people seem to like it--especially if looking for smaller, family-friendly city. Know a couple of faculty. The chair is a young-ish woman who I knew long ago as a resident. She was brilliant then, and I'm sure she still is, to have followed in the footsteps of their previous chair--who was an icon of C/L psych.

Ha, I'm right there with you @RudinChickpea in terms of mundane programs. (Sorry I don't have any feedback/insight on your programs). I would prefer that I not end up in a large city. Also, while I'm looking for great clinical training, I'd love a good work/life balance. Any input on my top 5 (not in any order) greatly appreciated:

UMass -- Loved the program. They have people working in women's mental health there which is a big plus for Me. Worcester isn't great, but it's not terrible either. Residents seemed happy -- lots of great moonlighting opportunities. Love the neuropsych focus and the PD's background and passion for resident education.

UNM -- I interviewed here early on, so I don't have a lot of info on what their call schedule is/how their workload is (yes, this is important to me). Loved the area (great weather and lots of outdoorsy things to do -- also important to me!) and the mission/feel of the program. Seems like I'd get solid training here -- lots of great faculty. Didn't meet as many residents, but the ones I did meet seemed happy and laid back. PD seemed wonderful and very supportive -- someone I'd enjoy working with.

Utah -- Great program with passionate (quirky) residents. SLC was gorgeous. Seems like a solid program. But I'm not Mormon and because I have kids, this is a concern for me. I really clicked with the new PD, and would love to work with him. The UNI is gorgeous and they have a lot of cool specialized units.

UChicago -- Also loved this program. I probably clicked with these residents the most. They all seemed very intelligent, yet still laid back and down to Earth. I definitely didn't get an ivory-towerish feeling here at all. That said Chicago is COLD in the winter and the lack of a central inpatient site (i.e. Commuting between those two sites in Chicago traffic would be a nightmare). PD and aPD seemed really warm and cared about resident education and well-being. Also this is a very large city which is a negative for me.

Montefiore -- Again, a great program with solid clinical training. Slightly more psychodynamic flavor than I'm necessarily looking for, but the residents were the happiest I met while interviewing. The program seems very supportive of residents and focuses on resident education. Lack of acute child/geriatric experiences seems like a downside and the location is definitely not what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question you all might have some input on:

I'm somewhat torn between staying at my home program (solid but not stellar) in the midwest versus ranking more "prestigious" and rigorous East Coast programs first. I have a lot of friends and family in the town where I'm in med school and feel really comfortable here and could see myself practicing here long term. I'm trying to figure it out if it's worth it to move to get "the best" training possible, even if I would be happier on a personal level just staying where I am. I do think the East Coast programs may have some better research opportunities and probably slightly stronger faculty/residents overall. Would I be shortchanging myself if i stayed at my home program? Or fair to say that clinical training is going to be pretty solid at any good program? (Don't know how you quantify strength of residency but my med school is a top 25 one for context, definitely not a slouch of an institution). Thanks for any advice.

I'm somewhat torn between staying at my home program (solid but not stellar) in the midwest versus ranking more "prestigious" and rigorous East Coast programs first. I have a lot of friends and family in the town where I'm in med school and feel really comfortable here and could see myself practicing here long term. I'm trying to figure it out if it's worth it to move to get "the best" training possible, even if I would be happier on a personal level just staying where I am. I do think the East Coast programs may have some better research opportunities and probably slightly stronger faculty/residents overall. Would I be shortchanging myself if i stayed at my home program? Or fair to say that clinical training is going to be pretty solid at any good program? (Don't know how you quantify strength of residency but my med school is a top 25 one for context, definitely not a slouch of an institution). Thanks for any advice.

I'm just an applicant, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Residency is going to be a physically and mentally challenging 4+ years, so I would not underestimate the value of being in a place you enjoy with a strong support network. It seems that "name branding" for psych is mostly unnecessary unless you see yourself doing something in academics at top programs/having a research-heavy career. I think the general consensus is that you will get solid training at most (if not all) programs -- some might have more bells and whistles than others, but I think in general, if you put in the effort, you can become an excellent clinician regardless of your program's name.

Plus, from the tone of your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you to stay where you are -- don't ignore that. Best of luck in your decision!

Reactions: 5 users
thank you for posting your reviews in the other thread. i think they will be especially useful because they are not top programs and thus dont get much mention here. may the match gods look favorably upon you :) unfortunately ive never heard of toledo so can't tell you anything. my understanding re: penn state hershey is that is almost exclusively IMG and from the south asian diaspora, so if that is not you, you may feel somewhat out of place with your co-residents. since i hadnt heard of toledo i cannot compare them. Go with your gut (where did you get a sense you would fit in/enjoy it more? which location do you prefer?) Also don't feel shy about contacting the residents at the program to get further information. If you didn't get their contact details when you interviewed, email the PC and ask if you can be put in touch with some residents. It can be helpful hearing from strangers on t'internet (especially if your school does not do a good job of advising or you're an IMG) but I would strong suggest contacting the programs to get your questions answered. then you can report back here ;)

I'm just an applicant, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Residency is going to be a physically and mentally challenging 4+ years, so I would not underestimate the value of being in a place you enjoy with a strong support network. It seems that "name branding" for psych is mostly unnecessary unless you see yourself doing something in academics at top programs/having a research-heavy career. I think the general consensus is that you will get solid training at most (if not all) programs -- some might have more bells and whistles than others, but I think in general, if you put in the effort, you can become an excellent clinician regardless of your program's name.

Plus, from the tone of your post, it sounds like your gut is telling you to stay where you are -- don't ignore that. Best of luck in your decision!
I'm a PD, and I approve this message.

Reactions: 3 users

I agree with AnonPsychInterviewReviews in that you can get probably get solid training at most (if not all) programs, especially ones that are "not a slouch of an institution."

There's something to be said about having a support group around family and friends, especially during a physically and mentally taxing four years of residency. That's not to say that you wouldn't be able to develop new friends and a new support group in a "more prestigious" east coast residency. :)

Also, if you're thinking that the faculty/residents are only slightly stronger and that the research opportunities might be better, I would say stay where you are since it seems pretty clear that it would make you "happier on a personal level." You'd be shortchanging yourself if a year or two from now, you start regretting moving away from your family and friends. I would go to the more rigorous program if you feel like it can offer you something that is absolutely important for you that your home institution doesn't have, or if you want something new for a change. Seems as though you're >90% sure about your choice to stick with your home institution though.

Thanks for the input! What you said about Hershey is exactly how I feel about the place. Although I'm an IMG but I'm not of South Asia descent. On the interview day our group was pretty much split in two naturally: Those who know someone in the program (fellow or faculty) and those who don't. I belonged to the second group.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

thank you for posting your reviews in the other thread. i think they will be especially useful because they are not top programs and thus dont get much mention here. may the match gods look favorably upon you :) unfortunately ive never heard of toledo so can't tell you anything. my understanding re: penn state hershey is that is almost exclusively IMG and from the south asian diaspora, so if that is not you, you may feel somewhat out of place with your co-residents. since i hadnt heard of toledo i cannot compare them. Go with your gut (where did you get a sense you would fit in/enjoy it more? which location do you prefer?) Also don't feel shy about contacting the residents at the program to get further information. If you didn't get their contact details when you interviewed, email the PC and ask if you can be put in touch with some residents. It can be helpful hearing from strangers on t'internet (especially if your school does not do a good job of advising or you're an IMG) but I would strong suggest contacting the programs to get your questions answered. then you can report back here ;)

That's a good idea. I should try to do that see know how it goes.

Utah -- Great program with passionate (quirky) residents. SLC was gorgeous. Seems like a solid program. But I'm not Mormon and because I have kids, this is a concern for me. I really clicked with the new PD, and would love to work with him. The UNI is gorgeous and they have a lot of cool specialized units.
While SLC is "very Mormon" compared to most of the rest of the country, it's decidedly "not Mormon" compared to the rest of UT (~30-40%). There's a nice nightlife/bar/counterculture scene in SLC. UUtah is where all the non-mormons go to university...

I was really impressed by the program last year, but I don't know anything about the recent changes (and changes to those changes?) that have been mentioned around here recently.

Currently in love with 3 programs
Einstein (philly), Rochester (NY) and Hofstra SI

Einstein I really liked the people, I loved the CRC (esp the child CRC since it's the only one, currently, in the city) and I liked that it was really a mix of psychotherapy and psychopharm

Rochester NY held a special place in my heart. I had no idea what to expect but ended up liking the city. I love snow, but I really loved the people and the program director in particular. They had a great list of fellowships and everything in one hospital with Epic as their EMR is cool.

Hofstra is a big hospital system with some big name doctors. I liked the island a lot as a mix of right next to the city but not as busy as manhattan. The residents were all helpful, and a mix of IMG/DO/USMD and the medicine program was huge, so it seems you'd never be overwhelmed or understaffed.

any thoughts?

While SLC is "very Mormon" compared to most of the rest of the country, it's decidedly "not Mormon" compared to the rest of UT (~30-40%). There's a nice nightlife/bar/counterculture scene in SLC. UUtah is where all the non-mormons go to university...

I was really impressed by the program last year, but I don't know anything about the recent changes (and changes to those changes?) that have been mentioned around here recently.

God the facilities there are amazing, although the momo's wouldn't have it any other way. I would be extremely hesitant to go there for an extended period of time if not Mormon though, the whole city is like ground zero for them and they have insidious reach into everything and anything. They literally have their priests involved in the fertility program for example. I did however attend a PP anniversary unknowingly at a bar full of lesbians, so the counterculture exists but it exists like that because it needs to stay underground in the city.

God the facilities there are amazing, although the momo's wouldn't have it any other way. I would be extremely hesitant to go there for an extended period of time if not Mormon though, the whole city is like ground zero for them and they have insidious reach into everything and anything. They literally have their priests involved in the fertility program for example. I did however attend a PP anniversary unknowingly at a bar full of lesbians, so the counterculture exists but it exists like that because it needs to stay underground in the city.
Clarify?

Thanks for your response. Those were similar to the percentages that the residents quoted me. I still feel uncertain about the culture there and if non-LDS kids would be inadvertantly ostracized/feel left out.

Can anyone comment specifically on UNM vs. UMass in terms of quality of teaching/education, breadth of psychopathology exposure, fellowship placement (I know most fellowships are practically wide open in psych still), and job opportunities after residency, etc. Which would you objectively rank higher and why? Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. Those were similar to the percentages that the residents quoted me. I still feel uncertain about the culture there and if non-LDS kids would be inadvertantly ostracized/feel left out.

Can anyone comment specifically on UNM vs. UMass in terms of quality of teaching/education, breadth of psychopathology exposure, fellowship placement (I know most fellowships are practically wide open in psych still), and job opportunities after residency, etc. Which would you objectively rank higher and why? Thanks again!
Any difference between these two is miniscule relative to the difference in location. This is really one where you should decide whether your life goals are located in the NE or the SW and choose accordingly.

That said, if regional preference truly means nothing to you, I have to say that Dr. Benjamin is one of the Deans of Psychiatric Education*, and I personally would probably choose to train under him--depending on how long he intends to remain as PD.

*(Made-up title--there really is no such thing, but he's been active in AAP and AADPRT for so long... Very widely respected.)

I am not a patient nor practitioner for their infertility program, but it is not a secret the LDS priests are involved in the program. They just held ASRM in SLC 3 months ago and this was public knowledge. To what extent they control what goes on in the program will be controversial, like everything related to secretive organizations with lots of money.

Any difference between these two is miniscule relative to the difference in location. This is really one where you should decide whether your life goals are located in the NE or the SW and choose accordingly.

That said, if regional preference truly means nothing to you, I have to say that Dr. Benjamin is one of the Deans of Psychiatric Education*, and I personally would probably choose to train under him--depending on how long he intends to remain as PD.

*(Made-up title--there really is no such thing, but he's been active in AAP and AADPRT for so long... Very widely respected.)

Thank you for your insight, it's very much appreciated. I must admit that I'm itching to move somewhere a little warmer than where I am now, but have never lived in the SW, so while I have a slight preference for that area it's more of a superficial desire than a real "need". I want the best training possible in an area that's livable.

I know people say to take post-interview communication w a huge grain of salt, but what about communications that aren't personalized and are kind of generic "thanks for interviewing with us"? I got a phone call from a Penn and an email from Cambridge Health Alliance, but there was no wording along the lines of "we will be ranking you highly" or anything like that. Does that imply that I'm in a lower tier of their rank list? (Do institutions have different tiers of post-interview communications?) maybe I am way overthinking this...

I know people say to take post-interview communication w a huge grain of salt, but what about communications that aren't personalized and are kind of generic "thanks for interviewing with us"? I got a phone call from a Penn and an email from Cambridge Health Alliance, but there was no wording along the lines of "we will be ranking you highly" or anything like that. Does that imply that I'm in a lower tier of their rank list? (Do institutions have different tiers of post-interview communications?) maybe I am way overthinking this...
Overthinking. Make your rank list ignoring anything short of pre-negotiating your vacation, setting up your significant other with a job, or other specific, actionable feedback...

I didn't get any email from CHA. In fact on my interview day they specifically said there would be no post interview contact as it was against the design and ethics of the match. So it is interesting to me to hear you got an email... I really liked that program:(

I didn't get any email from CHA. In fact on my interview day they specifically said there would be no post interview contact as it was against the design and ethics of the match. So it is interesting to me to hear you got an email... I really liked that program:(

They told you there would be no communication, and you didn't get any, so you have nothing to worry about (At least, no more than you did before you heard that someone on the internet got an email from them). I didn't get communication from the program I matched at; some people did if there was a specific point that they wanted to communicate, or if a certain interviewer took it upon themselves.

Is that against the ethics? I got a message through ERAS, though just a generic thank you. I think if you don't talk about ranking it should be fine

Is that against the ethics? I got a message through ERAS, though just a generic thank you. I think if you don't talk about ranking it should be fine

Yeah it doesn't sound like that was against the ethics of the match. A thank you is totally fine, as you said. That was just the wording they used on my interview day to explain why they didn't like post interview communication (unless it was to answer further questions that you sent them). I'm not going to worry about it as Smallbird suggested and just submit my rank list in the order of my preference.

I received an email from CHA too but it is super generic and not at all directed toward me (didn't even use my name). It doesn't provide much information other than some logistical information about how they finished their interviews, Step requirements prior to matching, announcement about a new chief of psychology, telling us about their mention in the Boston globe, and an inspirational poem. They even said in the email that they won't barrage us with post-interview emails about CHA and the match. I can PM it to you if you'd like, but it's not like they said "we want you here" in the email. Grain of salt just as everyone else said.

Last edited:
Could someone comment on the differences between Mt. Sinai St. Lukes/Roosevelt and Mt. Sinai Beth Israel? The programs seem pretty similar in terms of the training, although the resident profiles differ a bit at the programs and the call schedule seems lighter at Mt. Sinai Beth Israel. Are these two programs pretty equal in training and in reputation (so rank should be based on preference) or would you say one is stronger? I know that Mt. Sinai Beth Israel does not provide housing, but that is not a factor for me because I plan to live with my spouse in the city. Thank you.

hi all, trying to figure out where i want to rank montefiore vs. LIJ on my rank list. i got a great vibe at both. is there a difference in prestige? i've been doing some research before and through med school and have enjoyed it. i'm not sure if i'm ready to rule out an academic career. both programs tended to retain residents for fellowships and jobs, which i attribute to people really falling in love with the place, but i'm wondering if i ultimately want to practice in manhattan/another city or be in academics, which will give me the leg up.

montefiore - pros: really loved the residents and the teaching based on the didactics i sat in on. great support from PD, cheap housing nearby if i choose to live in the bronx as well as money for food. not too much research going on, but funding and opportunities seemed to be there for people who wanted it (a few residents were doing research fellowships after graduation). had all psych fellowships, though for some reason didn't have much geri training. con: bronx location (also positive given patient diversity), but i would prefer to live in the city.

LIJ - pros: PD was awesome and i felt like we were kindred spirits. residents were also incredibly happy. "pathways" program allows for some elective time even as early as PGY-2 year. i like that there's a freestanding psych hospital and there seemed to be a lot of research opportunities as well. con: really would prefer not to live in queens and i would have to learn how to drive to commute/live life regardless.

I am not a patient nor practitioner for their infertility program, but it is not a secret the LDS priests are involved in the program. They just held ASRM in SLC 3 months ago and this was public knowledge. To what extent they control what goes on in the program will be controversial, like everything related to secretive organizations with lots of money.
I'm not sure what you mean by priests and I'm not sure what you mean by involved but the LDS church doesn't have any prohibition or stance on reproductive medicine.

hi all, trying to figure out where i want to rank montefiore vs. LIJ on my rank list. i got a great vibe at both. is there a difference in prestige? i've been doing some research before and through med school and have enjoyed it. i'm not sure if i'm ready to rule out an academic career. both programs tended to retain residents for fellowships and jobs, which i attribute to people really falling in love with the place, but i'm wondering if i ultimately want to practice in manhattan/another city or be in academics, which will give me the leg up.

montefiore - pros: really loved the residents and the teaching based on the didactics i sat in on. great support from PD, cheap housing nearby if i choose to live in the bronx as well as money for food. not too much research going on, but funding and opportunities seemed to be there for people who wanted it (a few residents were doing research fellowships after graduation). had all psych fellowships, though for some reason didn't have much geri training. con: bronx location (also positive given patient diversity), but i would prefer to live in the city.

LIJ - pros: PD was awesome and i felt like we were kindred spirits. residents were also incredibly happy. "pathways" program allows for some elective time even as early as PGY-2 year. i like that there's a freestanding psych hospital and there seemed to be a lot of research opportunities as well. con: really would prefer not to live in queens and i would have to learn how to drive to commute/live life regardless.

Sound like you like LIJ better for the program and montefiore better for the location.

I'm not sure what you mean by priests and I'm not sure what you mean by involved but the LDS church doesn't have any prohibition or stance on reproductive medicine.

Their clergy/priest/monks/shaman/witch doctor (clearly I am going for their holy person, I do not know the exact term), non-physician, non-scientists are part of the governing body of their fertility program and were purported to be involved in decisions of who gets treatment (which fertility programs get control over vs say internal medicine). Its simply one example of the far reaching power the LDS have in SLC. Just trying to help prospective applicants who are not Mormon understand that they may or may not be impacted by living there, as opposed to say, basically every other major US city.

Their clergy/priest/monks/shaman/witch doctor (clearly I am going for their holy person, I do not know the exact term), non-physician, non-scientists are part of the governing body of their fertility program and were purported to be involved in decisions of who gets treatment (which fertility programs get control over vs say internal medicine). Its simply one example of the far reaching power the LDS have in SLC. Just trying to help prospective applicants who are not Mormon understand that they may or may not be impacted by living there, as opposed to say, basically every other major US city.
I get that. I'm just trying to find more information because it didn't make sense based on any Mormon beliefs or religiopolitical issues and I can't find anything on it.

To offer an intern's perspective at Yale, I think the program director's strong ethics really exude in the interview day and process. Prior to entering, I underrated Yale's warm open/accepting and academic environment. It was clear that the program was very proud of it, but I was surprised to see that it extended to the medicine and neurology services as well. I was surprised that even when I was on neurology - the program / residents were the most warm and humane neurologists I've worked with. Many of my classmates would say that the environment here is very kind and accommodating. The importance of finding a program that you can fit in and feel cared for is huge; finding a program culture that I've liked matched into meeting interesting people from the medicine and neurology services (who because of the Yale culture I feel are also the more warm, humane, and academic end of their respective residency personality spectrums). I think something that I underrated as well was the importance of good funding; I think one of the reasons Yale doesn't feel cutthroat as I expected from a high-end research powerhouse institution was the abundance of funding. Coming from a state institution with a undergrad campus close to the main campus & yet have no collaboration, the interesting academic possibilities of being tied to such a rich & active university were apparent ever since the school year started.

The other main thing is that I was dreading moving to New Haven (I've only lived in MAJOR metropolitan areas prior to residency) despite loving the program, but I have to admit that I've actually come to like it for what it is. It's no large city, but it offers enough and is more affordable than a large metropolitan area. I feel like it's like living in a really nice walkable neighborhood (living downtown) in a large city. Around here, there is a good happy hour scene. Food diversity is not like that of NYC or LA, but the good restaurants are pretty great. However, the museum scene and theater scene are strong. The density of great restaurants, bars, and museums (in addition to everything that happens on the college campus) is impressive, and for me, it provides what I need ~ 85% of the time as someone in their mid-twenties. For the remainder, I save up my money and head to Boston or NYC. NYC Grand Central is a $15 & 1.75 hr train ride away.

Could someone comment on the differences between Mt. Sinai St. Lukes/Roosevelt and Mt. Sinai Beth Israel? The programs seem pretty similar in terms of the training, although the resident profiles differ a bit at the programs and the call schedule seems lighter at Mt. Sinai Beth Israel. Are these two programs pretty equal in training and in reputation (so rank should be based on preference) or would you say one is stronger? I know that Mt. Sinai Beth Israel does not provide housing, but that is not a factor for me because I plan to live with my spouse in the city. Thank you.

I would also like an opinion about this. Beth Israel is downsizing and closing many other residency programs (FM, surgery etc). Is anyone concerned about the stability of the psychiatry residency program?

I would also like an opinion about this. Beth Israel is downsizing and closing many other residency programs (FM, surgery etc). Is anyone concerned about the stability of the psychiatry residency program?
I've seen many people concerned about it, but haven't seen any promising answer to the question of stability.

I was wondering if anyone could give an opinion about the following programs: UCSF-Fresno, Case Western University Hospital, and Boston University. I would be satisfied living in any of the cities (Fresno, Cleveland, or Boston). I know my money would go further is Cleveland or Fresno. Not interested in fellowship...at least I don't think so. I am mostly concerned with quality of life and quality of experience. Thanks!!

Hello,
to the above poster sorry I cant help with your post but I have a similar question. Im having difficulty deciding between my top two programs. Does anyone have any thoughts on University of Tennessee VS University of Connecticut?

I've been trying the pros and cons of both. U Tenn pays a lot less but also has much lower cost of living. Tenn also has better weather year round and Memphis seemed like a nice city. On the other hand I think that possibly, the UConn program was a little better and it doesn't hurt to be a two hour drive from NYC but the weather...ikkkk. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!