Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maybe im naive (more than likely) but arent DOs forced into the ACGME now that most programs are ACGME accredited and those that aren't , DO students aren't touching. The merger over all opened the floodgates for us BONE WIZARDS because we dont wanna risk matching AOA then having the program close during our training. You are right on the increasing number of students overall, but if there was NO merger, i dont think the number or applicants would be this high. Lets not forget, a lot of DERM, ENT, ORTHO, PLASTICS, IR applicants also apply gas as a back up....

True. There is a lot of noise out there right now. But, most of those specialties you listed are really really competitive so Anesthesiology as a back-up makes sense. Based on the posts in this thread and the data many Anesthesiology programs are NOT interviewing enough applicants because the number of applications per applicant is way, way up.

Overall, I would expect programs to figure this out soon and the average step 1 score will increase by about 1-2 points compared to last year. Remember, more med students won't necessarily match into those limited super competitive specialties forcing them into the SOAP or their back up specialty like Anesthesiology.

That is why the overall number of spots in these highly sought after specialties matters because the vast increase in graduating med students will force many into other areas like Psychiatry, Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe im naive (more than likely) but arent DOs forced into the ACGME now that most programs are ACGME accredited and those that aren't , DO students aren't touching. The merger over all opened the floodgates for us BONE WIZARDS because we dont wanna risk matching AOA then having the program close during our training. You are right on the increasing number of students overall, but if there was NO merger, i dont think the number or applicants would be this high. Lets not forget, a lot of DERM, ENT, ORTHO, PLASTICS, IR applicants also apply gas as a back up....

If I was a graduating DO student seeking to match into Anesthesiology this year I would only rank ACGME accredited programs period. I'd rather match into a bottom tier ACGME accredited program over one that isn't any day of the week.

Reactions: 1 users
True. There is a lot of noise out there right now. But, most of those specialties you listed are really really competitive so Anesthesiology as a back-up makes sense. Based on the posts in this thread and the data many Anesthesiology programs are NOT interviewing enough applicants because the number of applications per applicant is way, way up.

Overall, I would expect programs to figure this out soon and the average step 1 score will increase by about 1-2 points compared to last year. Remember, more med students won't necessarily match into those limited super competitive specialties forcing them into the SOAP or their back up specialty like Anesthesiology.

That is why the overall number of spots in these highly sought-after specialties matters because the vast increase in graduating med students will force many into other areas like Psychiatry, Internal Medicine and Anesthesiology.
i also expect and increase as you say. now only question is how many programs is safe. i know the golden rule of 5 (md) and 6(do). i wonder if it will be more like 8 and 9 now to have that 90%+ match rate. on a side note , why are gas interviews so chill ? both my interviews so far have had 20 % of anesthesia talk, 80% talk about non school things like up bringing and general interest from my eras app

Members don't see this ad :)
i also expect and increase as you say. now only question is how many programs is safe. i know the golden rule of 5 (md) and 6(do). i wonder if it will be more like 8 and 9 now to have that 90%+ match rate. on a side note , why are gas interviews so chill ? both my interviews so far have had 20 % of anesthesia talk, 80% talk about non school things like up bringing and general interest from my eras app

It's about finding decent human beings and avoiding the arseholes. General interest questions help bring out your personality and passions in life. What will you be like to work with/teach/deal with for 4 years? Will you be a team player? Will you take instruction well? Are you a total introvert or do you have some social skills?

To quote one of my anesthesia attendings, "We're stuck with you for a whole day in the OR with many possibly-slow periods. We need to make sure you're someone who can hold a conversation and not be weird."

It's about finding decent human beings and avoiding the arseholes. General interest questions help bring out your personality and passions in life. What will you be like to work with/teach/deal with for 4 years? Will you be a team player? Will you take instruction well? Are you a total introvert or do you have some social skills?

To quote one of my anesthesia attendings, "We're stuck with you for a whole day in the OR with many possibly-slow periods. We need to make sure you're someone who can hold a conversation and not be weird."

ha good to know. i thought my app lacked something. one interview my attending and I literally talked about out immigrant story and soccer.... im just used to getting grilled all the time. this is nice

The best way to find this out is by asking you general interest questions or topics. This takes the pressure off (vs anesthesia related stuff) and alllows the interviewer to get a glimpse of the real you. Of course, you may still be a psychopath or sociopath but at least during the interview you were able to hide it quite well.

Any suggestions on how long interview answers should be? For example, if someone asked me what my weakness was, how long should I limit my answer to? 3 min, 5min?

Any suggestions on how long interview answers should be? For example, if someone asked me what my weakness was, how long should I limit my answer to? 3 min, 5min?

Most interviews are 10 to 15 mins at the longest, dont spend more than 2 mins shooting yourself in the foot. Keep it simple, weakens is A , I have learned to deal/improve on it by B,

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My general perspective during residency Interviews, which was later confirmed after seeing some of the inner workings during residency is this: most programs know who they are really interested in before they ever interview. The interview functions more of a “is this person normal” and “could I stand seeing them every day” than anything. It’s more of a confirmation or rebuttal of the information already presented to them than it is a male or break experience.

My general perspective during residency Interviews, which was later confirmed after seeing some of the inner workings during residency is this: most programs know who they are really interested in before they ever interview. The interview functions more of a “is this person normal” and “could I stand seeing them every day” than anything. It’s more of a confirmation or rebuttal of the information already presented to them than it is a male or break experience.

That's true but the interview matters. If the program is on the fence about 3-4 applicants the interview will be the determining factor.

This is especially true as the tier of the program goes down vs up. Those types of programs have many more applicants to choose from which meet their required stats. Hence, if you are a mid tier DO candidate that interview from a mid tier program really matters. Sure, the odds are much better that by the time the program has picked you to interview your success rate is pretty good.

That being said, is it pretty unlikely then that a lower tier candidate (whose been given an interview) is even seriously considered in the ranking process? I've heard mixed reviews on this (ie "if you get an interview, you're a qualified applicant and everyone at interview day is considered equal at that point"), but I'm not sure if this is the case or not?

Why would any program waste an interview, a finite resource, on someone who isn’t “seriously considered?” I mean, does the make sense to you?

Bottomline is that most people match at their their number one rank and ~80% match in their top 3. Anywhere you interview you have a legit shot at matching at.

Why would any program waste an interview, a finite resource, on someone who isn’t “seriously considered?” I mean, does the make sense to you?

Bottomline is that most people match at their their number one rank and ~80% match in their top 3. Anywhere you interview you have a legit shot at matching at.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I don’t get why this is such a topic of discussion. When you get invited, you are worthy. They believe in you. You are able to pass the boards and possibly get a fellowship. The interview is basically your chance to mess that up

The negativity on this website crack me up. I’ve heard that often times residencies get their spots filled from the waitlist and late invites because these applicants want it more and don’t have as many choices

lol I think it's a fair question when you think about it from the opposite perspective. Think about asking an applicant, whose funds are also a finite resource, who may rank 10 or 15+ interviews (many have done this in the previous years threads). You wouldn't think they would waste their time on interviewing at a program they would never rank, but most students would obviously rather match than not, and end up ranking many more programs than needed. Sure, they may rank 15 programs, and sure, every program is technically "considered" or else why would they even go to the interview? But do students have any real intention or thought about programs 12-15, or even further down the list? Highly doubt it, bc as you said, most know they are likely to match at their top 3.

lol I think it's a fair question when you think about it from the opposite perspective. Think about asking an applicant, whose funds are also a finite resource, who may rank 10 or 15+ interviews (many have done this in the previous years threads). You wouldn't think they would waste their time on interviewing at a program they would never rank, but most students would obviously rather match than not, and end up ranking many more programs than needed. Sure, they may rank 15 programs, and sure, every program is technically "considered" or else why would they even go to the interview? But do students have any real intention or thought about programs 12-15, or even further down the list? Highly doubt it, bc as you said, most know they are likely to match at their top 3.

The programs NEED you as much as you need them. You are CHEAP labor. If they are taking the time to interview you then you have a real shot. As for your "needs" about ranking 12+ programs that is a different beast all together from the Residency interview process. Programs know historically how many and who/which type of applicant will actually match at their programs. They are EXPERTS at this game. You are a novice. Hence, stop worrying about them and perform your due diligence.

Reactions: 3 users
The programs NEED you as much as you need them. You are CHEAP labor. If they are taking the time to interview you then you have a real shot. As for your "needs" about ranking 12+ programs that is a different beast all together from the Residency interview process. Programs know historically how many and who/which type of applicant will actually match at their programs. They are EXPERTS at this game. You are a novice. Hence, stop worrying about them and perform your due diligence.

Fair points. I was merely agreeing with another user’s post, not challenging anybody or the process. Isn’t much of this thread (and entire domain) novices asking questions from experts or the process of experts? I think it’s fair to ask these questions here. Regardless, I appreciate your input.

The entire dynamic of this post changed and not for the better. I think there’s enough worry in this post to go around and contemplating whether an interview is a pity interview is just going to make matters worse. We will all match if we just focus on our interviews.. I have confidence in all of us

Reactions: 2 users

I would agree that programs are likely extending many interview invites to the same applicant. 2016 match in anesthesiology was somewhat infamous for many good programs going unfilled: (cedars, UAB, UW, Emory).

Looking at the data we see applications per applicant increased 2.6 for 2016 cycle after previously increasing 0.5-1 a year. The past few years prior to this (2019) cycle we had 0.8 and 1.6 followed by this cycle at 3.1. We may see another year where some PDs are surprised come match day when they don’t fill.

From the sounds of it they’re not interviewing more than usual (they should have ~7% more interview slots to reach parity), which means applicants that have interviews will match higher on their rank list, and programs run a greater risk of going unmatched.

So, in summary...if you have 5 interviews I would expect the 90% rule to still be in effect, if not higher than 90%. If you don’t have any interviews I’m sorry (this process sucks), but we may be growing a bumper crop of SOAP positions this cycle so don’t give up hope. Remember just one interview gives you a 50% chance of matching, and there is a whole month ahead to get interviews (~30% of interviews are left if prior years are representative).

Reactions: 7 users
I would agree that programs are likely extending many interview invites to the same applicant. 2016 match in anesthesiology was somewhat infamous for many good programs going unfilled: (cedars, UAB, UW, Emory).

Looking at the data we see applications per applicant increased 2.6 for 2016 cycle after previously increasing 0.5-1 a year. The past few years prior to this (2019) cycle we had 0.8 and 1.6 followed by this cycle at 3.1. We may see another year where some PDs are surprised come match day when they don’t fill.

From the sounds of it they’re not interviewing more than usual (they should have ~7% more interview slots to reach parity), which means applicants that have interviews will match higher on their rank list, and programs run a greater risk of going unmatched.

So, in summary...if you have 5 interviews I would expect the 90% rule to still be in effect, if not higher than 90%. If you don’t have any interviews I’m sorry (this process sucks), but we may be growing a bumper crop of SOAP positions this cycle so don’t give up hope. Remember just one interview gives you a 50% chance of matching, and there is a whole month ahead to get interviews (~30% of interviews are left if prior years are representative).

Very well put together post. I just have one slight comments about this. I’ve heard in the past that some programs purposely leave two spots open or so to pick up applicants that did not match and very competitive fields like dermatology or ENT. How true is this?

Very well put together post. I just have one slight comments about this. I’ve heard in the past that some programs purposely leave two spots open or so to pick up applicants that did not match and very competitive fields like dermatology or ENT. How true is this?

For some programs this is very accurate.

If this is true it would be a horrible strategy. While most applicants in the highly competitive specialties have very high scores they are also very passionate about that specialty, not anesthesia. The last thing you want is someone in a program that doesn’t want to be there and you don’t need 260s to be a safe bet to pass the gas boards.

If you can get programs to RANK you after an interview that is huge plus this year. Even if the PD thinks you may be too far down the list the key is to be on the list at all.
Some very good programs may have open slots come Match day. Perhaps, it is more important than ever to convince your interviewers to rank you even if that results in your being dead last on that list this year.

Unfortunately, the attitude of some PDs is that they would rather go "unfilled" than take anyone who doesn't meet their caliber/stats. I thinks that is wrong but it is what it is for the T20 programs.

If you can get programs to RANK you after an interview that is huge plus this year. Even if the PD thinks you may be too far down the list the key is to be on the list at all.
Some very good programs may have open slots come Match day. Perhaps, it is more important than ever to convince your interviewers to rank you even if that results in your being dead last on that list this year.

Unfortunately, the attitude of some PDs is that they would rather go "unfilled" than take anyone who doesn't meet their caliber/stats. I thinks that is wrong but it is what it is for the T20 programs.

What just tell them flat out please rank me ? I’ve had two interviews so far , both instate and I’ve made it very Clear I wanna stay instate for family reasons, is that not enough ? Or should we just flat out say it

If this is true it would be a horrible strategy. While most applicants in the highly competitive specialties have very high scores they are also very passionate about that specialty, not anesthesia. The last thing you want is someone in a program that doesn’t want to be there and you don’t need 260s to be a safe bet to pass the gas boards.

Some programs will only go so far in terms of ranking applicants. Their philosophy is "if we can't match our caliber of med student on match day we will get them through the SOAP or as transfers from other specialties." While this may be old school thinking that has been the attitude in the past. I hope more programs will RANK DO med students who meet their stats rather than pick up a REJECT from ENT.

What just tell them flat out please rank me ? I’ve had two interviews so far , both instate and I’ve made it very Clear I wanna stay instate for family reasons, is that not enough ? Or should we just flat out say it

I think you made your point during the interview quite well. However, a nice follow-up can't hurt ( do not sound desperate).

I would like to see the T15 programs rank the DO schools in terms of quality and start accepting DOs from these schools who meet the same stats as USA Allopathic Med Students. The time has come to drop the DO bias at all the programs and level the playing field.

That's the kind of crap you say when you're embarrassed about not filling

The issues i'm seeing this year is that low tier programs are not extending interviews to lower tier applicants (case and point me and others in this thread). I can see that they want to interview higher caliber applicants, but the chance of them actually going to a Beaumont/Toledo/Mizzou/LSU-Shreveport/etc. is low. When someone like me has ties in these areas, i'm expecting interviews (1 of which i have so far), but everything else has been silence. You'd think they'd be more interested in interviewing people who actually want to come to the program as opposed to an obvious backup application from a high caliber applicant.

The issues i'm seeing this year is that low tier programs are not extending interviews to lower tier applicants (case and point me and others in this thread). I can see that they want to interview higher caliber applicants, but the chance of them actually going to a Beaumont/Toledo/Mizzou/LSU-Shreveport/etc. is low. When someone like me has ties in these areas, i'm expecting interviews (1 of which i have so far), but everything else has been silence. You'd think they'd be more interested in interviewing people who actually want to come to the program as opposed to an obvious backup application from a high caliber applicant.

I'd rather take a chance on the better applicant

I have an interview at Arkansas on 11/8. anyone have a later date that possibly wants to switch. PM me if so

Get your floaties ready..the wave is coming this week

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all,
I have Wash U scheduled for 12/13. Anyone with 1/07, 12/17, 11/29, 11/26, or 11/19 that would be willing to switch please message me.

And the process continues. Approaching almost a 4 week dry spell. Stay strong friends.

I think people who have less invites at this point have a chance of more coming. If you already have 10, 15 etc there are less programs left in your range to extend invites to you.

I applied somewhere for a surgery prelim and they sent me an interview for surgery categorical....

Anyone with interviews at Indiana University know the hotel discount prices? They gave a huge list of hotels with discounts but didn't list the prices. I was going to start calling them all later this week but wanted to see if anyone else already did this and could save me some work. Thanks! If not I'll try and remember to get on and post what I find out.