Official 2018-2019 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If the PD at the end your interview with him says "I hope you'll consider our institution when

Same...

I got a confirmation from them for my confirmed date.

How many days did it take them to reply you? I emailed them on ERAS two days ago. Still no reply yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview waitlists are definitely going to move. I have 11, and I’m definitely not going to 3 of them. Just waiting to get 3 or 4 more IIs before I pull the trigger and start dropping.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure, are they D.O. friendly? Maybe a regional thing? I've done school only in California, so maybe that?

Taking a look at their resident list, not many DOs on their roster. I think its one of the few programs where there is an inherent bias against DOs.

Has anyone actually heard of someone matching at a program lower than 5 or 6 on their rank list? I know "10 is the magic number" but for someone who has 7 interviews now.... is there really any increased likelihood of matching if you get those last 3 interviews? I'd argue that if you don't match at those first 7, something was probably amiss in your application and that it's just as unlikely to match at those last 3. The marginal benefit of those last 3 invites just seems so low.

Has anyone actually heard of someone matching at a program lower than 5 or 6 on their rank list? I know "10 is the magic number" but for someone who has 7 interviews now.... is there really any increased likelihood of matching if you get those last 3 interviews? I'd argue that if you don't match at those first 7, something was probably amiss in your application and that it's just as unlikely to match at those last 3. The marginal benefit of those last 3 invites just seems so low.
The worst that I have heard was from a EM student that matched disappointing "low", it was 6 or 7... he couldn't remember since he kept shuffling the institutions in those spots every other day. According to ERAS, I think you're safe but this year can be different.

anyone else get the "very short waitlist" emails before? how likely is it that someone will cancel an interview at a place like BWH?

Honestly you’re right (coming from someone who interviewed 12 places in the past, so I didn’t have the guts to shoot low, haha) - most people match really high. Even my friends who were less competitive for very competitive specialities (ortho, nuerosurg) matched at like 1-2. Through the process there is a ton of self selection. Everyone has a handle on their perceived competitiveness and ranks/is interviewed accordingly. People tend to underrate how far many places go on their rank list and how variable people’s interest and goals are. My previous residency wouldn’t have been viewed as competitive- had multiple people 250+, and multiple <220 - people had various reasons for being there.

How much can we trust what we are told by PDs on interviews? I rotated at a place, got a great letter from PD and from an attending. Was told I am wanted there etc, but I am scared still that might not mean Ranked to Match. I'd choose this program over most of my interviews at the moment and could save time/money and let those spots go to others who are more interested, but once again I am scared of cutting my numbers down in case its just blowing smoke

Members don't see this ad :)
How much can we trust what we are told by PDs on interviews? I rotated at a place, got a great letter from PD and from an attending. Was told I am wanted there etc, but I am scared still that might not mean Ranked to Match. I'd choose this program over most of my interviews at the moment and could save time/money and let those spots go to others who are more interested, but once again I am scared of cutting my numbers down in case its just blowing smoke

Absolutely nothing.
I was told stuff like “oh you’d be a great fit”.... “we would love to have you here” blah blah blah. And since I’m reapplying, clearly none of that mattered lol.
People, including PDs, generally don’t like to say blatantly honest things. So everything comes off as nice, positive, and sincere. When in reality there is a rank list and they do play favorites.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it common for programs to email you closer to rank and let you know if/how they ranked you?

Is it common for programs to email you closer to rank and let you know if/how they ranked you?

Some programs will do this. However, this should not change your rank order. If you like a program better and they never sent you “love emails”, you should still rank them number 1. This will not hurt you matching at your number 2 in the event you don’t match your number 1.

They have an incentive for you to rank them highly. Recognize this. You should rank according to preference. Nothing less, nothing more.

79% match to their top 3 ranked programs. You can interview at 20 places if you want, but you’ll just waste $. Something is seriously wrong if you fail to match to your top 8.

It’s mostly whether you are the type of applicant that receives 20 interviews, not the actual attendance of those 20 interviews that results in a successful match.

Reactions: 2 users

Programs are not allowed to do this. It’s a match violation and programs can get reported for this.

They can tell you how much they like you and you’ll be “highly ranked.” But they can not say you are guaranteed a match there or your specific rank.
Granted, there are programs that still do this. Usually more so in person than over emails since it’s traceable.

Programs are not allowed to do this. It’s a match violation and programs can get reported for this.

They can tell you how much they like you and you’ll be “highly ranked.” But they can not say you are guaranteed a match there or your specific rank.
Granted, there are programs that still do this. Usually more so in person than over emails since it’s traceable.
I thought programs can tell you where they are ranking you, and you can tell programs where you are ranking them, but it was not allowed to ask (them you or you them) where the other is ranking you (them)

I thought programs can tell you where they are ranking you, and you can tell programs where you are ranking them, but it was not allowed to ask (them you or you them) where the other is ranking you (them)

No, programs can’t say anything regarding your specific rank. They can not say anything that can explicitly influences an applicant’s rank list (and knowing where you are in the rank list for a program does exactly this).

But somehow saying “you are ranked highly” is okay.... haha. I’m assuming it’s because it’s a very generic term that doesn’t guarantee anything.

Applicants can say whatever they want though.

Can anyone shed any light on San Antonio?

I for some reason cannot get the excel spreadsheet to let me edit - but someone in the interview impressions tab was asking if people were fired, said that they were not interviewed by PD or interim chair on interview day and then someone commented back saying that residents were potentially fired based on the lack of 4 resident photos in the CA2 year space (total of only 12 as opposed to 16) and lack of 1 resident photo in CA3 year. Whats the scoop?

No, programs can’t say anything regarding your specific rank. They can not say anything that can explicitly influences an applicant’s rank list (and knowing where you are in the rank list for a program does exactly this).

But somehow saying “you are ranked highly” is okay.... haha. I’m assuming it’s because it’s a very generic term that doesn’t guarantee anything.

Applicants can say whatever they want though.

I don't think this is right.

Programs are allowed to say anything they want (as long as it's not lying). They can tell you your rank if they want, they can tell you that you are guaranteed to match, etc. We are allowed to tell programs anything we want too. What is NOT allowed is for a program to ask you to tell them how they're ranked, how you ranked other programs, etc. Inygma was right.

Match Communication Code of Conduct - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

Does anyone know if MGH/BWH/BIDMC have any reserved prelim spots for Anesthesiology or anything like that? I would like to be in one city for all 4 years if possible, and I only have one TY interview so far in Boston. Didn't hear anything from any of their prelims

Does anyone know if MGH/BWH/BIDMC have any reserved prelim spots for Anesthesiology or anything like that? I would like to be in one city for all 4 years if possible, and I only have one TY interview so far in Boston. Didn't hear anything from any of their prelims

As far as I know BIDMC has categorical and advanced positions which leads me to believe they wouldn't reserve prelim spots outside of their categorical residents. I'm not sure for MGH/BWH.

I don't think this is right.

Programs are allowed to say anything they want (as long as it's not lying). They can tell you your rank if they want, they can tell you that you are guaranteed to match, etc. We are allowed to tell programs anything we want too. What is NOT allowed is for a program to ask you to tell them how they're ranked, how you ranked other programs, etc. Inygma was right.

Match Communication Code of Conduct - The Match, National Resident Matching Program

They can’t say anything regarding a type of commitment. I don’t know the specifics but my current PD was telling his top applicants their rank, and the GME admin called him out on it.

Attachments

• AC38E8A8-EDB9-4314-AC06-2458F8448826.png
    AC38E8A8-EDB9-4314-AC06-2458F8448826.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
They can’t say anything regarding a type of commitment. I don’t know the specifics but my current PD was telling his top applicants their rank, and the GME admin called him out on it.

Your attachment reinforces what I said - nothing that says PDs can't tell an applicant their rank, unless they say their rank is contingent on an applicant's communication.

Your PD being called out might be an institutional policy.

anyone else get the "very short waitlist" emails before? how likely is it that someone will cancel an interview at a place like BWH?

Last Friday duke told me I was on the waitlist. Monday morning I got an email saying I had an interview. It's possible!

Just got the step 2 score. 4 points lower than step 1. Step 1 was 243 and step 2 is 239. DO applicant, currently sitting with 6 invites. Is this a concern??

To the best of my knowledge it is not any sort of violation for a PD to contact you informing you of how they plan to rank you. However, it is a violation if they ask or appear to be asking for information regarding how you plan to structure your list/rank them.

Just got the step 2 score. 4 points lower than step 1. Step 1 was 243 and step 2 is 239. DO applicant, currently sitting with 6 invites. Is this a concern??
I’m also a DO... slightly higher step 1 and slightly lower step 2 than you. I was worried about it when I applied so I applied to 50ish programs but I’m sitting at 15+ interviews at solid places. I wouldn’t worry too much!

I’m also a DO... slightly higher step 1 and slightly lower step 2 than you. I was worried about it when I applied so I applied to 50ish programs but I’m sitting at 15+ interviews at solid places. I wouldn’t worry too much!
Ya seems very Step1 focused. I have a mid-high 220s with a high 240s step 2 and only at 9 interviews (with 100+ applied), so you should be more than fine!

It is definitely more competitive this year regardless what anybody says. Just the numbers alone show it. But I also believe an increase in scores is making it harder for people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright guys how many days is too many to miss while on an away? About to start an away at my number 1. However, spots became available for my 3rd interview during this ~3 week rotation so that would put me at 3-5 missed days. Roughly a day missed each week.... which I'm starting to think is a bit much...

Alright guys how many days is too many to miss while on an away? About to start an away at my number 1. However, spots became available for my 3rd interview during this ~3 week rotation so that would put me at 3-5 missed days. Roughly a day missed each week.... which I'm starting to think is a bit much...

The limit does not exists ... as long as you pass

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok guys.. at what point do I worry? As I know I’ve said before and may annoy people.. I only have 3 IIs out of 50 right now. All of them are mid-tier programs and I’d be happy at any one of the three but LOIs don’t seem to be getting me any movement. For past applicants, is it common for average to slightly below average applicants to get much movement this late? It seems like places are already waitlisting while I’m still sitting here with no waitlists..

3-5 is a bit much. Does that include your interview day with the actual program?

Ok guys.. at what point do I worry? As I know I’ve said before and may annoy people.. I only have 3 IIs out of 50 right now. All of them are mid-tier programs and I’d be happy at any one of the three but LOIs don’t seem to be getting me any movement. For past applicants, is it common for average to slightly below average applicants to get much movement this late? It seems like places are already waitlisting while I’m still sitting here with no waitlists..
It depends. What are your stats

3-5 is a bit much. Does that include your interview day with the actual program?
Nah. my interview with the away program is a week after my rotation gets over. The 3-5 days are for the 3 outside interviews I would go on.

USMD 215-220/225-230.. obviously not the greatest but I’d have thought it wouldn’t yield this low.
Hmm I think you’ll get more when November hits. I will be blown away if the match doesn’t show a serious rise in applicants this year. 220 is the cut off at most programs, so anything below that, will probably cause a little delay in IIs. But I overall think you’ll be fine

USMD 215-220/225-230.. obviously not the greatest but I’d have thought it wouldn’t yield this low.
Are they categorical or advanced II? I know of 2 people that matched with 1 and 2 interviews respectively. And a few years ago for some reason good programs didnt' fill and they were open for SOAP (not that you would have to worry about that).

If, for some reason, you really really don't think you'll match, it is always better to have a back up.
Its better to go into the SOAP with some sort of plan than being completely blindsided about what to do next.

Not matching is a horrible horrible feeling, and I don't wish that on anyone.

If, for some reason, you really really don't think you'll match, it is always better to have a back up.
Its better to go into the SOAP with some sort of plan than being completely blindsided about what to do next.

How do you ‘get ready’ for SOAP exactly? LORs?

Chrom I gotta say your chances with 3 is still good, but I guarantee you’ll still get some interviews. Stay positive my friend.

Chrom I gotta say your chances with 3 is still good, but I guarantee you’ll still get some interviews. Stay positive my friend.

Well, its applicant dependent.
Are you going to reapply to anesthesia or something else? If its not anesthesia, what else can you see yourself doing?
What are your chances when you apply again? Is your app "fixable" ? ie you cant change your board scores if they are bad, but if you have subpar letters you can get new ones.

In the SOAP process you can only apply to 45 programs with like 2-3 days to make up your mind on what you are gonna do before everything is due.
If you reapply anesthesia....
- Apply to all available SOAP anesthesia spots
- Use the remaining submissions for all transitional, prelim IM, prelim surg that have an associated anesthesia program in the SOAP.

If you are an "at risk" applicant, it might be wise to apply to internship spots now since its not guaranteed they'll be available in the SOAP. Plus you get an added bonus of controlling where you want to end up.

Hmm I think you’ll get more when November hits. I will be blown away if the match doesn’t show a serious rise in applicants this year. 220 is the cut off at most programs, so anything below that, will probably cause a little delay in IIs. But I overall think you’ll be fine
good to know. thanks for the info. it's just nerve-racking having few right now when so many have a lot.

Are they categorical or advanced II? I know of 2 people that matched with 1 and 2 interviews respectively. And a few years ago for some reason good programs didnt' fill and they were open for SOAP (not that you would have to worry about that).
2 categorical, 1 advanced..

I'll definitely consider that.. I will probably just wait until after November. I just don't know who I should talk to in my department because my program obviously wants me to rank them #1 and I don't want to hurt my chances there by talking to faculty.

Thanks my friend. I appreciate your words of encouragement. It's difficult seeing so many people with nearly 10 IIs at this point while I only have 3. I know I'm obviously in a better position than some but I know that I'm only at an 80% match rate right now.

Does anyone have first or second-hand experience with resident work hours at UCLA? Half of online sources claim 50s while the other half is claiming 70-80 hour weeks on average...

Nah. my interview with the away program is a week after my rotation gets over. The 3-5 days are for the 3 outside interviews I would go on.
I think the program will understand you have interviews, they know what time it is and most places don't mind. You can also offer to work weekends to make up the time, assuming you have weekends off. I think that at least shows your commitment to the rotation while still looking out for yourself.

Judging from previous years, it seems to me for us lower stats applicants, November and even into December, (some) interviews can trickle in