*~*~*~* Official 2018-2019 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

IWCBTYJ

2+ Year Member
Sep 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I think I speak for everyone when I say that yesterday was a crazy day, full of surprises, and full of moments where we realized that all of our hard work for years has paid off! WE ARE GOING TO BE DENTIST EVERYONE!! Get your head wrapped around THAT!

Acceptance #1: NOVA via phone call
Acceptance #2:Case Western via email
Acceptance #3: University of Maryland via email
Acceptance #4: Tufts by email
Acceptance #5: Columbia University by phone & email
Acceptance #6: University of Michigan with 40K scholarship via phone call
Acceptance #7: University of North Carolina Chapel Hill via phone call
Acceptance #8: University of Pennsylvania with 40K scholarship via phone
Acceptance #9: Stony Brook University

Rejection #1: University of Connecticut

Good luck to everyone as we all wait to hear back from the rest of the schools ! and CONGRATS to everyone as well :) I'm so happy for all of us, together.

Jun 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
I think I speak for everyone when I say that yesterday was a crazy day, full of surprises, and full of moments where we realized that all of our hard work for years has paid off! WE ARE GOING TO BE DENTIST EVERYONE!! Get your head wrapped around THAT!

Good luck to everyone as we all wait to hear back from the rest of the schools ! and CONGRATS to everyone as well :) I'm so happy for all of us, together.

dang! you killed this cycle!!
how are you going to choose?

Feb 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
I cannot believe the day finally came and I am going to be a dentist!!!! :soexcited:

Accepted to:
#1 University of Minnesota via email:clap:
#2 Creighton University via email:love:
#3 UMKC Via phone call:laugh:

I am not sure how i am going to decide between Creighton and Minnesota at the moment, I do get reciprocity if I attend Minnesota which is where I am leaning at the moment, but still very uncertain!!!!
I'm in the same boat as you with MN vs Creighton and the instate at MN. What's influencing your decision to go to MN?

May 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Interview #5 but declining
ASDOH and stats in sig. interview dates available are 12/12 and 1/15

Firik

Connection is the Key!
Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, that was quick!
Submitted background check report yesterday and now I submitted to be released (the investigation completed in one day)! If anyone curious it cost me $54.00.
Does anyone know, if the school have access to my report automatically or I need to send them? Thanks

CECJAMAL

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental

Congratulations!!! What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

Sep 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Was accepted to 6 schools yesterday, still extremely overwhelmed and I'm so shoook haha!

#1: UConn, email
#2: Maryland, email
#3: Columbia, email then phone call
#4: Harvard, phone call then email
#5: Penn, phone call, also scholarship for $20k per year
#6: Rutgers, email but also my AADSAS portal was updated beforehand

I wish luck to everyone else applying this cycle and want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances as well! For those still waiting, I'm sure the waiting will pay off at the end, don't give up hope :) If anyone has any advice/thoughts on how they're making their decisions please hmu!

Last edited:

ihave1question

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Nov 12, 2018
Yesterday I got accepted at 14 schools.

#1. Ohio State (Cheapest.. leaning towards)
#2. Harvard (least favoriteo_O)
#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#7. Case Western :))favorite b/c new building)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#11. Pitt :)mad:browns fan)
#12. Touro
#13. Maryland (I had a horrible interview.. shocked)
#14. Nova

Still waiting to hear back from 4 schools:( (Meharry, LECOM, NYU, Stony)
:)
For those still waiting to hear back from schools.. Keep your heads up!! It will happen!!!

Jul 20, 2017
Florida
Status
Pre-Dental

#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#12. Touro
#14. Nova

For those still waiting to hear back from schools.. Keep your heads up!! It will happen!!!
How in the world lol. Congrats!

pma96

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone. I wanted to congratulate everyone who got in and also share this info for future applicants who may be seeing this post and wondering about the times/methods of notification for these schools.

Temple: I got the acceptance email at 12:00 AM sharp on the 3rd. I interviewed end of Sept. and got a call from them a month ago asking if I had any questions and that my application was being highly recommended.
Columbia: email at 8:30 AM and then a call from a current student at 9:30 AM. Interviewed mid November.
UF: Call at 9:00 AM. At this point I was convinced I wasn’t going to get accepted bc they had been calling people since like 6:00 am. I found out later on that it’s not the same person who calls everyone and that’s why they have different schedules, so don’t freak out like me lol. I got a call from them about 2 months ago asking if I had any questions but specifically saying that it didn't mean I was accepted. I interviewed early August
Nova: portal changed to Offer Made early in the morning and also through USPS Informed Delivery I saw that morning that I was getting a letter from them. Then Dr. Lippman called at 10:30 AM. Interviewed mid-August
Penn: Call at 1:00 PM, got $20k/year. Interviewed mid November
UDM: Call today 12/4 at 9:30 AM. Interviewed early September

I declined my interviews at Touro and LECOM yesterday and plan to do so for Michigan as well. Needless to say, yesterday was the best day in my entire life. After years working towards this goal, finally knowing that in 4 years I'll be a dentist is surreal.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear the good news!

Last edited:

Boise State Bronco

2+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental

#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#12. Touro
#14. Nova

Why would you go to that many interviews?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Firik

Connection is the Key!
Dec 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Here is the story you have been waiting to hear from me! ;)

How did I manage to get into my top choice with 19AA and 3.00sGPA? It’s not a luck, but rather careful decisions throughout the process. To explain the details, I will first give you my short background. I am a single child raised by a working-class single parent. I experienced three cultures, learned three languages and lived in three countries (about 8 years each). I did not have any scientific knowledge prior to college, thus I had a rough time in my intro science courses. My interest in dentistry began when I moved to the U.S. and got a full dental treatment, compared to having to endure severe tooth pain that lasted for a month due to financial difficulties. Thus, I am passionate to help those in need of a dental care in order for them not to feel pain, but rather focus to achieve their own goals in life and maintain great overall health. This is how since high school I made my goal to pursue dentistry as my dream job.

I applied twice to dental schools and I will tell you most of the differences. During my first cycle, I applied to nine schools and received zero interviews (zero acceptances). I had the following metrics: 19AA, 19TS, 21PAT, 19QR, 15RC, 17BIO, 18GC, 26OC and 2.78bcpGPA, 2.98sGPA, 3.25oGPA. I have above 100hours of shadowing and volunteering. I have a rainbow of job experiences, such as working as a houseman at a hotel to being an organic chemistry tutor at my university. I involved for four years in pre-dental club and my chess club at my university. My personal statement I would give now a B, even though at the moment I thought it was the best paper I have written. I applied in early June, then took DAT late July and it was ready to review early August. It was a complete silence for me for all nine schools until February (some in June), which then rejected! It was the cycle that I learned what patience is. In April I spoke with “A” of dental school and this is what “A” told me: the red flags are 15RC, 17BIO, and 2.78bcpGPA. This was sufficient enough for the committee to not let my application to be considered for an interview. Thus, “A” suggested to retake DAT and apply for a master program to improve. Hmm, what did I do?

Before applying for the second cycle the following was made. I graduated my undergrad (took 4.5 years) in December and was looking to get a job. After asking my professors, I applied to become a researcher at my university in organic chemistry. A month later, I was hired! This is what I did instead of going to grad school, because it shows you still in school and learning as well as developing crucial hands-on skills which are related to dentistry. So, naturally next is to improve my DAT scores. I studied between March-June while having this full-time research position. I got the following: 19AA, 19TS, 28PAT, 19QR, 19RC, 18BIO, 18GC, 23OC and 2.83bcpGPA, 3.00sGPA, 3.28oGPA. Managing full-time job with DAT is actually a good lesson of time management too. I applied to 19 schools in late June and completed supplementals before 4th of July for most school. Starting in late July, I got four interviews and five rejections in total. The following are specific interview dates: UK invitation on 7/19th for 8/24th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. UL invitation on 7/20th for 8/27th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd. IU invitation on 8/14th for 8/28th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. All these schools invited me to their first interview dates. Later, UMN (In-State) invited me on 10/10th for 10/29th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd! Thus, I will be a part of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2023! The cycle is over for me and I don’t need to wait any longer. To me, this was a stress-free cycle compared to the previous one!

What is, in my opinion, have helped me to be accepted? Definitely, improvement in DAT subsections even though AA/TS are the same. Let me be clear, having one high score (26 OC or 28PAT) will not help you alone. I think having nothing below 18 was a huge deal. Another big factor was getting the research job. This is the best job I have in my life. To those who interested how I got it: first because I was a tutor for three semesters and made a huge impact to other students; second, I had summer research experience in biochemistry lab; and third, the recommendation letter from a chemistry faculty. Next improvement is writing an even better essay. I re-wrote 85% of it and include my story of resilience that my mother taught me. Professors, dental students, and friends who reviewed said this is a huge improvement. Lastly, getting strong recommendation letters. I definitely, don’t know what they have written, but this faculty mentor that I did research with was really trying her best to convince others that I am a “solid” applicant. I know this because of her strong desire to help me and the fact that she is an awesome writer since she does a lot of writing to convince to fund her research from NIH. This faculty did not write to me the first time because I did not start a research with her. These were defining aspects to be admitted, and the fact that I applied as a disadvantaged student or being Muslim is neutral to my application. Overall, the combination of my skills, knowledge, personality, unique experiences, being diverse, and being dedicated to pursuing dentistry are vital to my acceptance. The last thing I want to say is that someone with my stats is considered more serious applicant once they apply a second time.

If you have a good personality, good mindset, believing in yourself things will work out for you eventually; don’t give up and push through the “walls”. One thing I learned from interviews is that your stats still maters for your acceptance! I want to reveal, to my knowledge, I am the only Tajik who applied to U.S. dental schools. If there is any other Tajik, please let me know. If you want me to make any clarifications or have any questions please let me know. Thank you for reading my reflection essay. I am wishing you all the best in your journey to become a dentist! :soexcited:

Pcsaints6

2+ Year Member
May 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm in the same boat as you with MN vs Creighton and the instate at MN. What's influencing your decision to go to MN?
Honestly I am influenced most by the instate tuition rate. In addition, I have multiple family members and friends that live in the twin cities, so for my wife and I it seems like a more comfortable fit. It is tough though, I love Creighton's clinical focus and the state of the art facilities. My cousin also attends Creighton which makes it a tough choice. How about you?

Sep 28, 2018

#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#12. Touro
#14. Nova

Can I just pretend to be you at one of those schools? lol
My hats off to you sir!! :=|:-):

Reactions: ihave1question

RemainPositive

2+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental

#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#12. Touro
#14. Nova

This is a Pog from me man

May 13, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental

#3. Columbia
#4. Penn
#5. UConn
#6. Howard (love DC)
#8. Temple
#9. UCLA
#10. USC
#12. Touro
#14. Nova

Any Idea which school ur leaning toward the most?

Jun 6, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Interview # 1
School:
UT San Antonio
Notification date: 11/28/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
Application complete date: (I used TMDSAS) 09/30/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.06, 3.10
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/23/24

Thoroughly surprised I received an interview invitation at all given my stats and how late I applied (I submitted the application the day before it closed). If anyone has interviewed at this school and has any advice I would really appreciate it!

Blueshirts

2+ Year Member
May 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Is it too early to reject an offer? Also, what do you advise to put in the email?
It's your personal choice for what is best for you to do. If you feel confident in your choice that you are ready to make then go for it, ball is in your court friend

Reactions: nmcc0102

MacAttack66

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Sep 18, 2018
Is it too early to reject an offer?
I started a thread here this morning asking the same question!

Are You Turning Down Acceptances Yet?

I'm turning down my acceptance at Western and wondered if it was too soon to notify them.

I hope people will post when they do deny an acceptance and add which school. This will help those who are waitlisted to know there is movement :)

okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Acceptance #1!
School:
University of New England
Notification date: 12/03
Method of notification: Phone call ~11:45 AM EST
Residency: New Hampshire
AADSAS mail-out date: August 7th
GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.34
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/18/19/None
Interview date: October 8th
Interview format: MMI

Acceptance #2!
School:
Medical University of South Carolina
Notification date: 12/04
Method of notification: UPS package (UPS MyChoice didn't alert me)
Residency: New Hampshire
AADSAS mail-out date: August 7th
GPA (science, overall): 3.20, 3.34
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/18/19/None
Interview date: November 16th
Interview format: Two 1-on-1 interviews

Interviews (4): University of Kentucky (9/26), UNE (10/8), Western (11/3), MUSC (11/16)
Waitlist: UK
Get ready for a sappy post. I'm happy to say I can officially post one of these! :soexcited: I still feel like this isn't real. I'm a reapplicant, so these acceptances are a dream come true for a long time coming. My first time applying was two years ago for the 2016-2017 cycle and I was sitting on three waitlists (1 pre-Dec interview, 2 post-Dec) at the time with no movement. My DAT scores were going to expire next year, so this was potentially my last shot. The second time around I took more upper biology courses, worked full-time for a dental office with more hands on experience, and got additional letters of recs. It took three years after college to get to this point, but through hard work, perseverance, and patience throughout this journey I can finally say I made it! For anyone out there who's reading this and is a reapplicant or find themselves in a similar situation to me stats-wise, just keep on trucking on. Keep progressing, keep improving, and work harder because you're going to have to convince more than just yourself that you can make it. I'd also suggest taking SDN with a big grain of salt. Sometimes there's sound advice out there ... And sometimes there isn't. Be wise in your decisions and who you decide to listen to.

ihave1question

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Nov 12, 2018
You did a master's and applied/went to at least 18 interviews does money really matter at this point?lol
I'm a non-trad. 32yo. Married. 2 kids. Wife works for airline (discount). Career change. Optimistic person who loooves options and travel. AAAAANNNNDDD money always matters.

Also I had a scholarship for my master's.. twas free... geez lol

yasc

2+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm a non-trad. 32yo. Married. 2 kids. Wife works for airline (discount). Career change. Optimistic person who loooves options and travel. AAAAANNNNDDD money always matters.
What was your previous career if you don't mind me asking?

princeafrica

Certified Boss
Dec 7, 2017
Status
Dental Student
Here is the story you have been waiting to hear from me! ;)

How did I manage to get into my top choice with 19AA and 3.00sGPA? It’s not a luck, but rather careful decisions throughout the process. To explain the details, I will first give you my short background. I am a single child raised by a working-class single parent. I experienced three cultures, learned three languages and lived in three countries (about 8 years each). I did not have any scientific knowledge prior to college, thus I had a rough time in my intro science courses. My interest in dentistry began when I moved to the U.S. and got a full dental treatment, compared to having to endure severe tooth pain that lasted for a month due to financial difficulties. Thus, I am passionate to help those in need of a dental care in order for them not to feel pain, but rather focus to achieve their own goals in life and maintain great overall health. This is how since high school I made my goal to pursue dentistry as my dream job.

I applied twice to dental schools and I will tell you most of the differences. During my first cycle, I applied to nine schools and received zero interviews (zero acceptances). I had the following metrics: 19AA, 19TS, 21PAT, 19QR, 15RC, 17BIO, 18GC, 26OC and 2.78bcpGPA, 2.98sGPA, 3.25oGPA. I have above 100hours of shadowing and volunteering. I have a rainbow of job experiences, such as working as a houseman at a hotel to being an organic chemistry tutor at my university. I involved for four years in pre-dental club and my chess club at my university. My personal statement I would give now a B, even though at the moment I thought it was the best paper I have written. I applied in early June, then took DAT late July and it was ready to review early August. It was a complete silence for me for all nine schools until February (some in June), which then rejected! It was the cycle that I learned what patience is. In April I spoke with “A” of dental school and this is what “A” told me: the red flags are 15RC, 17BIO, and 2.78bcpGPA. This was sufficient enough for the committee to not let my application to be considered for an interview. Thus, “A” suggested to retake DAT and apply for a master program to improve. Hmm, what did I do?

Before applying for the second cycle the following was made. I graduated my undergrad (took 4.5 years) in December and was looking to get a job. After asking my professors, I applied to become a researcher at my university in organic chemistry. A month later, I was hired! This is what I did instead of going to grad school, because it shows you still in school and learning as well as developing crucial hands-on skills which are related to dentistry. So, naturally next is to improve my DAT scores. I studied between March-June while having this full-time research position. I got the following: 19AA, 19TS, 28PAT, 19QR, 19RC, 18BIO, 18GC, 23OC and 2.83bcpGPA, 3.00sGPA, 3.28oGPA. Managing full-time job with DAT is actually a good lesson of time management too. I applied to 19 schools in late June and completed supplementals before 4th of July for most school. Starting in late July, I got four interviews and five rejections in total. The following are specific interview dates: UK invitation on 7/19th for 8/24th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. UL invitation on 7/20th for 8/27th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd. IU invitation on 8/14th for 8/28th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. All these schools invited me to their first interview dates. Later, UMN (In-State) invited me on 10/10th for 10/29th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd! Thus, I will be a part of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2023! The cycle is over for me and I don’t need to wait any longer. To me, this was a stress-free cycle compared to the previous one!

What is, in my opinion, have helped me to be accepted? Definitely, improvement in DAT subsections even though AA/TS are the same. Let me be clear, having one high score (26 OC or 28PAT) will not help you alone. I think having nothing below 18 was a huge deal. Another big factor was getting the research job. This is the best job I have in my life. To those who interested how I got it: first because I was a tutor for three semesters and made a huge impact to other students; second, I had summer research experience in biochemistry lab; and third, the recommendation letter from a chemistry faculty. Next improvement is writing an even better essay. I re-wrote 85% of it and include my story of resilience that my mother taught me. Professors, dental students, and friends who reviewed said this is a huge improvement. Lastly, getting strong recommendation letters. I definitely, don’t know what they have written, but this faculty mentor that I did research with was really trying her best to convince others that I am a “solid” applicant. I know this because of her strong desire to help me and the fact that she is an awesome writer since she does a lot of writing to convince to fund her research from NIH. This faculty did not write to me the first time because I did not start a research with her. These were defining aspects to be admitted, and the fact that I applied as a disadvantaged student or being Muslim is neutral to my application. Overall, the combination of my skills, knowledge, personality, unique experiences, being diverse, and being dedicated to pursuing dentistry are vital to my acceptance. The last thing I want to say is that someone with my stats is considered more serious applicant once they apply a second time.

If you have a good personality, good mindset, believing in yourself things will work out for you eventually; don’t give up and push through the “walls”. One thing I learned from interviews is that your stats still maters for your acceptance! I want to reveal, to my knowledge, I am the only Tajik who applied to U.S. dental schools. If there is any other Tajik, please let me know. If you want me to make any clarifications or have any questions please let me know. Thank you for reading my reflection essay. I am wishing you all the best in your journey to become a dentist! :soexcited:
This is beautiful. Best of luck to you in the next 4 years and beyond!! You earned it!

Dec 5, 2018
Thoughts on deciding between:

BU, CASE, Roseman, Touro, UNE, UW Seattle, U of Minnesota

?????????????????????
Looking for thoughts about programs, student:faculty relationships, class camaraderie, quality of education, academic performance, clinical skills, etc.

I've done my research about cost, location, curriculum, reputation, etc. but I"m looking for more information specific to the quality of the student experience beyond the generic "I love it here and couldn't see myself anywhere else".

ihave1question

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Nov 12, 2018
They did give you like a month off for all those interviews, sounds pretty solid to me lol
Pretty
Thoughts on deciding between:

BU, CASE, Roseman, Touro, UNE, UW Seattle, U of Minnesota

?????????????????????
Looking for thoughts about programs, student:faculty relationships, class camaraderie, quality of education, academic performance, clinical skills, etc.

I've done my research about cost, location, curriculum, reputation, etc. but I"m looking for more information specific to the quality of the student experience beyond the generic "I love it here and couldn't see myself anywhere else".
A buddy of mine is a student at UW Seattle.. He absolutely loves it. But in my opinion, pick the cheapest.. At the end of 4 years two things are guaranteed.. a dental degree and what you owe.

Reactions: JustWisdom
May 1, 2017

Also I had a scholarship for my master's.. twas free... geez lol
Ok this makes a huge difference. I would've done the same :) Ive received an international airline discount through a friend who works for an airline and I was only charged to pay tax so it was a steal. Anyway I envy you lol I think we all do! Must have been nice traveling to different cities across the country though!

Oct 18, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Acceptance # 1: Temple
Acceptance # 2: Touro
Acceptance # 3: Case Western Reserve
Acceptance # 4: UPitt 32K scholarship
Acceptance # 5: Western U
Acceptance # 6: USC
Acceptance # 7: UCLA

Still waiting on one school w/ interview. Congratulations and good luck to everyone!
Upitt with scholarship. Wow, good for you. Congrats!