1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

*~*~*~* Official 2018-2019 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by artist2022, Jun 12, 2018.

1. miamimami

Pre-Dental
    Thank you!! If I'm not mistaken, you're a fellow Floridian, so an extra special congratulations on your acceptances !!! :claps::claps::soexcited:
    About where I'm going, NO CLUE. I wish I could go to them all!! I'm seriously torn between Maryland and Pittsburgh. Can I just attend both? I'm willing to commute all 5is hours it takes..

Pearl E. White likes this.
  2. Pearl E. White

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the COA for those? Just curious. And thanks so much. I'm very excited about LECOM :love:

3. miamimami

Pre-Dental
    Pitt would be around 330K, Maryland 312K

4. Pearl E. White

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not bad at all considering the costs these days! :help: Good luck in your decision making :) happy for you

Firik and miamimami like this.
  5. IWCBTYJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I heard from them yesterday around 9:50 AM! They have not sent me any emails regarding further instructions, so look out for a phone call everyone!

6. IWCBTYJ

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think I speak for everyone when I say that yesterday was a crazy day, full of surprises, and full of moments where we realized that all of our hard work for years has paid off! WE ARE GOING TO BE DENTIST EVERYONE!! Get your head wrapped around THAT!

Acceptance #1: NOVA via phone call
    Acceptance #2:Case Western via email
    Acceptance #3: University of Maryland via email
    Acceptance #4: Tufts by email
    Acceptance #5: Columbia University by phone & email
    Acceptance #6: University of Michigan with 40K scholarship via phone call
    Acceptance #7: University of North Carolina Chapel Hill via phone call
    Acceptance #8: University of Pennsylvania with 40K scholarship via phone
    Acceptance #9: Stony Brook University

Rejection #1: University of Connecticut

Good luck to everyone as we all wait to hear back from the rest of the schools ! and CONGRATS to everyone as well :) I'm so happy for all of us, together.

7. coldicecream

Pre-Dental

dang! you killed this cycle!!
    how are you going to choose?

8. Noodlesforbreakfast

ACCEPTED!! WITH A 15AA TOO!!! GOD IS GOOD!

9. coldicecream

Pre-Dental
    CONGRATS!
    where?!

10. Noodlesforbreakfast

If I say the school name it will cause an uproar lol. But I got 28 PAT so maybe that helped me?? Who knows! Gonna be a dentist tho!

11. Cjb223

Will do! I know a few people are choosing different schools who interviewed at IDEP.

12. predent187789

Pre-Dental
    I'm in the same boat as you with MN vs Creighton and the instate at MN. What's influencing your decision to go to MN?

13. whitepeke

Pre-Dental
    Interview #5 but declining
    ASDOH and stats in sig. interview dates available are 12/12 and 1/15

14. Boise State Bronco

Pre-Dental
    Well that's good for us lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Cjb223 likes this.
  15. pthug76

Pre-Dental
    Is it just me or have others also gotten accepted to schools they didnt think they'd have a chance to get into while getting waitlisted/rejected at schools that are, lets say more liberal, with the stats and number of ppl they interview? Lol

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

16. Firik

Firik Connection is the Key!

Pre-Dental
    Wow, that was quick!
    Submitted background check report yesterday and now I submitted to be released (the investigation completed in one day)! If anyone curious it cost me $54.00.
    Does anyone know, if the school have access to my report automatically or I need to send them? Thanks

17. CECJAMAL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Congratulations!!! What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

18. rockfern

Pre-Dental
    Was accepted to 6 schools yesterday, still extremely overwhelmed and I'm so shoook haha!

#1: UConn, email
    #2: Maryland, email
    #3: Columbia, email then phone call
    #4: Harvard, phone call then email
    #5: Penn, phone call, also scholarship for $20k per year
    #6: Rutgers, email but also my AADSAS portal was updated beforehand

I wish luck to everyone else applying this cycle and want to congratulate everyone on their acceptances as well! For those still waiting, I'm sure the waiting will pay off at the end, don't give up hope :) If anyone has any advice/thoughts on how they're making their decisions please hmu!

#1568 rockfern, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  19. ihave1question

Yesterday I got accepted at 14 schools.

#1. Ohio State (Cheapest.. leaning towards)
    #2. Harvard (least favoriteo_O)
    #3. Columbia
    #4. Penn
    #5. UConn
    #6. Howard (love DC)
    #7. Case Western :))favorite b/c new building)
    #8. Temple
    #9. UCLA
    #10. USC
    #11. Pitt :)mad:browns fan)
    #12. Touro
    #13. Maryland (I had a horrible interview.. shocked)
    #14. Nova

Still waiting to hear back from 4 schools:( (Meharry, LECOM, NYU, Stony)
    :)
    For those still waiting to hear back from schools.. Keep your heads up!! It will happen!!!

20. ihave1question

This is Awesome! Congrats!!!!!!

21. IdleKoala

Pre-Dental
    How in the world lol. Congrats!

SalinasDDS and ihave1question like this.
  22. Ms. Anon

Pre-Dental
    Acceptance # 2
    UDM, Canada

Pearl E. White, IdleKoala and pma96 like this.
  23. Bulldog97

Pre-Dental
    Acceptance #5 UDM!

pma96 likes this.
  24. pma96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hi everyone. I wanted to congratulate everyone who got in and also share this info for future applicants who may be seeing this post and wondering about the times/methods of notification for these schools.

Temple: I got the acceptance email at 12:00 AM sharp on the 3rd. I interviewed end of Sept. and got a call from them a month ago asking if I had any questions and that my application was being highly recommended.
    Columbia: email at 8:30 AM and then a call from a current student at 9:30 AM. Interviewed mid November.
    UF: Call at 9:00 AM. At this point I was convinced I wasn’t going to get accepted bc they had been calling people since like 6:00 am. I found out later on that it’s not the same person who calls everyone and that’s why they have different schedules, so don’t freak out like me lol. I got a call from them about 2 months ago asking if I had any questions but specifically saying that it didn't mean I was accepted. I interviewed early August
    Nova: portal changed to Offer Made early in the morning and also through USPS Informed Delivery I saw that morning that I was getting a letter from them. Then Dr. Lippman called at 10:30 AM. Interviewed mid-August
    Penn: Call at 1:00 PM, got $20k/year. Interviewed mid November
    UDM: Call today 12/4 at 9:30 AM. Interviewed early September

I declined my interviews at Touro and LECOM yesterday and plan to do so for Michigan as well. Needless to say, yesterday was the best day in my entire life. After years working towards this goal, finally knowing that in 4 years I'll be a dentist is surreal.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear the good news!

#1574 pma96, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018 at 8:13 PM
  25. Boise State Bronco

Pre-Dental
    Why would you go to that many interviews?

26. kaylee2014

overall GPA = 3.3
    science GPA - 3.1
    signifcant upward trend

27. Boise State Bronco

Pre-Dental
    Hey I just got accepted via email, hope you get the good news too!

28. Firik

Firik Connection is the Key!

Pre-Dental
    Here is the story you have been waiting to hear from me! ;)

How did I manage to get into my top choice with 19AA and 3.00sGPA? It’s not a luck, but rather careful decisions throughout the process. To explain the details, I will first give you my short background. I am a single child raised by a working-class single parent. I experienced three cultures, learned three languages and lived in three countries (about 8 years each). I did not have any scientific knowledge prior to college, thus I had a rough time in my intro science courses. My interest in dentistry began when I moved to the U.S. and got a full dental treatment, compared to having to endure severe tooth pain that lasted for a month due to financial difficulties. Thus, I am passionate to help those in need of a dental care in order for them not to feel pain, but rather focus to achieve their own goals in life and maintain great overall health. This is how since high school I made my goal to pursue dentistry as my dream job.

I applied twice to dental schools and I will tell you most of the differences. During my first cycle, I applied to nine schools and received zero interviews (zero acceptances). I had the following metrics: 19AA, 19TS, 21PAT, 19QR, 15RC, 17BIO, 18GC, 26OC and 2.78bcpGPA, 2.98sGPA, 3.25oGPA. I have above 100hours of shadowing and volunteering. I have a rainbow of job experiences, such as working as a houseman at a hotel to being an organic chemistry tutor at my university. I involved for four years in pre-dental club and my chess club at my university. My personal statement I would give now a B, even though at the moment I thought it was the best paper I have written. I applied in early June, then took DAT late July and it was ready to review early August. It was a complete silence for me for all nine schools until February (some in June), which then rejected! It was the cycle that I learned what patience is. In April I spoke with “A” of dental school and this is what “A” told me: the red flags are 15RC, 17BIO, and 2.78bcpGPA. This was sufficient enough for the committee to not let my application to be considered for an interview. Thus, “A” suggested to retake DAT and apply for a master program to improve. Hmm, what did I do?

Before applying for the second cycle the following was made. I graduated my undergrad (took 4.5 years) in December and was looking to get a job. After asking my professors, I applied to become a researcher at my university in organic chemistry. A month later, I was hired! This is what I did instead of going to grad school, because it shows you still in school and learning as well as developing crucial hands-on skills which are related to dentistry. So, naturally next is to improve my DAT scores. I studied between March-June while having this full-time research position. I got the following: 19AA, 19TS, 28PAT, 19QR, 19RC, 18BIO, 18GC, 23OC and 2.83bcpGPA, 3.00sGPA, 3.28oGPA. Managing full-time job with DAT is actually a good lesson of time management too. I applied to 19 schools in late June and completed supplementals before 4th of July for most school. Starting in late July, I got four interviews and five rejections in total. The following are specific interview dates: UK invitation on 7/19th for 8/24th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. UL invitation on 7/20th for 8/27th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd. IU invitation on 8/14th for 8/28th interview, which I got waitlisted on 12/3rd. All these schools invited me to their first interview dates. Later, UMN (In-State) invited me on 10/10th for 10/29th interview, which I got accepted on 12/3rd! Thus, I will be a part of the University of Minnesota School of Dentistry Class of 2023! The cycle is over for me and I don’t need to wait any longer. To me, this was a stress-free cycle compared to the previous one!

What is, in my opinion, have helped me to be accepted? Definitely, improvement in DAT subsections even though AA/TS are the same. Let me be clear, having one high score (26 OC or 28PAT) will not help you alone. I think having nothing below 18 was a huge deal. Another big factor was getting the research job. This is the best job I have in my life. To those who interested how I got it: first because I was a tutor for three semesters and made a huge impact to other students; second, I had summer research experience in biochemistry lab; and third, the recommendation letter from a chemistry faculty. Next improvement is writing an even better essay. I re-wrote 85% of it and include my story of resilience that my mother taught me. Professors, dental students, and friends who reviewed said this is a huge improvement. Lastly, getting strong recommendation letters. I definitely, don’t know what they have written, but this faculty mentor that I did research with was really trying her best to convince others that I am a “solid” applicant. I know this because of her strong desire to help me and the fact that she is an awesome writer since she does a lot of writing to convince to fund her research from NIH. This faculty did not write to me the first time because I did not start a research with her. These were defining aspects to be admitted, and the fact that I applied as a disadvantaged student or being Muslim is neutral to my application. Overall, the combination of my skills, knowledge, personality, unique experiences, being diverse, and being dedicated to pursuing dentistry are vital to my acceptance. The last thing I want to say is that someone with my stats is considered more serious applicant once they apply a second time.

If you have a good personality, good mindset, believing in yourself things will work out for you eventually; don’t give up and push through the “walls”. One thing I learned from interviews is that your stats still maters for your acceptance! I want to reveal, to my knowledge, I am the only Tajik who applied to U.S. dental schools. If there is any other Tajik, please let me know. If you want me to make any clarifications or have any questions please let me know. Thank you for reading my reflection essay. I am wishing you all the best in your journey to become a dentist! :soexcited:

29. Pcsaints6

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Honestly I am influenced most by the instate tuition rate. In addition, I have multiple family members and friends that live in the twin cities, so for my wife and I it seems like a more comfortable fit. It is tough though, I love Creighton's clinical focus and the state of the art facilities. My cousin also attends Creighton which makes it a tough choice. How about you?

30. SalinasDDS

Can I just pretend to be you at one of those schools? lol
    My hats off to you sir!! :=|:-):

ihave1question likes this.
  31. RemainPositive

Pre-Dental
    This is a Pog from me man

32. jonah1234321

Pre-Dental
    Any Idea which school ur leaning toward the most?

33. dancerdentist11

Pre-Dental
    Do schools ever match tuition/scholarships?

34. tarheelbulldog

Pre-Dental
    Did you hear back from UNC or UPENN?

35. teethandthings

Accepted to 3 out of 4 schools I interviewed at with an 18aa and 3.6 overall and 3.5 science GPA. Hope anyone reading this with low stats knows its possible. Applied in August!

36. misstexasdds

Pre-Dental
    Interview # 1
    School:
    UT San Antonio
    Notification date: 11/28/2018
    Method of notification: Email
    Residency: Texas
    Application complete date: (I used TMDSAS) 09/30/2018
    GPA (science, overall): 3.06, 3.10
    DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/23/24

Thoroughly surprised I received an interview invitation at all given my stats and how late I applied (I submitted the application the day before it closed). If anyone has interviewed at this school and has any advice I would really appreciate it!

37. nmcc0102

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is it too early to reject an offer? Also, what do you advise to put in the email?

jerabad26 and mrdeez like this.
  38. Blueshirts

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's your personal choice for what is best for you to do. If you feel confident in your choice that you are ready to make then go for it, ball is in your court friend

nmcc0102 likes this.
  39. MacAttack66

I started a thread here this morning asking the same question!

Are You Turning Down Acceptances Yet?

I'm turning down my acceptance at Western and wondered if it was too soon to notify them.

I hope people will post when they do deny an acceptance and add which school. This will help those who are waitlisted to know there is movement :)

MK9595, SalinasDDS, nmcc0102 and 5 others like this.
  40. MacAttack66

I'm just going to write them an email thanking them for their acceptance, but that I will be turning it down. I think short and sweet is appreciated by them, but an email that is also courteous and expresses thanks.

41. okiedokeartichoke

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Acceptance #1!
    School:
    University of New England
    Notification date: 12/03
    Method of notification: Phone call ~11:45 AM EST
    Residency: New Hampshire
    AADSAS mail-out date: August 7th
    GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.34
    DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/18/19/None
    Interview date: October 8th
    Interview format: MMI

Acceptance #2!
    School:
    Medical University of South Carolina
    Notification date: 12/04
    Method of notification: UPS package (UPS MyChoice didn't alert me)
    Residency: New Hampshire
    AADSAS mail-out date: August 7th
    GPA (science, overall): 3.20, 3.34
    DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/18/19/None
    Interview date: November 16th
    Interview format: Two 1-on-1 interviews

Interviews (4): University of Kentucky (9/26), UNE (10/8), Western (11/3), MUSC (11/16)
    Waitlist: UK
    Get ready for a sappy post. I'm happy to say I can officially post one of these! :soexcited: I still feel like this isn't real. I'm a reapplicant, so these acceptances are a dream come true for a long time coming. My first time applying was two years ago for the 2016-2017 cycle and I was sitting on three waitlists (1 pre-Dec interview, 2 post-Dec) at the time with no movement. My DAT scores were going to expire next year, so this was potentially my last shot. The second time around I took more upper biology courses, worked full-time for a dental office with more hands on experience, and got additional letters of recs. It took three years after college to get to this point, but through hard work, perseverance, and patience throughout this journey I can finally say I made it! For anyone out there who's reading this and is a reapplicant or find themselves in a similar situation to me stats-wise, just keep on trucking on. Keep progressing, keep improving, and work harder because you're going to have to convince more than just yourself that you can make it. I'd also suggest taking SDN with a big grain of salt. Sometimes there's sound advice out there ... And sometimes there isn't. Be wise in your decisions and who you decide to listen to.

MK9595, JustFlossIt, y9x0 and 12 others like this.
  42. ihave1question

Because that's what I wanted to do lol.

43. ihave1question

Leaning towards Ohio State because its the cheapest:)

44. yasc

Pre-Dental
    You did a master's and applied/went to at least 18 interviews does money really matter at this point?lol

45. ihave1question

I'm a non-trad. 32yo. Married. 2 kids. Wife works for airline (discount). Career change. Optimistic person who loooves options and travel. AAAAANNNNDDD money always matters.

Also I had a scholarship for my master's.. twas free... geez lol

46. yasc

Pre-Dental
    What was your previous career if you don't mind me asking?

47. ihave1question

Associate researcher in Biomedical Engineering field, specializing in prosthetics. I'm so happy I made the switch!

.Toothless., coldicecream and Firik like this.
  48. yasc

Pre-Dental
    They did give you like a month off for all those interviews, sounds pretty solid to me lol

49. princeafrica

Pre-Dental
    This is beautiful. Best of luck to you in the next 4 years and beyond!! You earned it!

Dandoonboy and Firik like this.
  50. grillz023

Thoughts on deciding between:

BU, CASE, Roseman, Touro, UNE, UW Seattle, U of Minnesota

?????????????????????
    Looking for thoughts about programs, student:faculty relationships, class camaraderie, quality of education, academic performance, clinical skills, etc.

I've done my research about cost, location, curriculum, reputation, etc. but I"m looking for more information specific to the quality of the student experience beyond the generic "I love it here and couldn't see myself anywhere else".