*~*~*~* Official 2018-2019 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the schools I was accepted to makes you pay your deposit in 7 days. I didn't realize this was a thing...? I thought it was supposed to be 30 days at least.

Why school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am torn between UPenn (scholarship) and Tufts dental...can anybody give me some input on what they would do??

Reactions: 1 users
One of the schools I was accepted to makes you pay your deposit in 7 days. I didn't realize this was a thing...? I thought it was supposed to be 30 days at least.
I’m guessing so they can fill their class quickly. If you don’t mind me asking, how much are they asking? If you don’t pay you lose your spot?

Congrats! that is amazing!
Can you please share why Harvard is your least favorite?
Strictly going off vibes. Obviously the academia is top notch, however the atmosphere wasn't the best for me personally. By no means am I knocking the school. Great people! Just personally not my style. Plus my wife is a Yankees fan lol. Wouldn't have worked lol.

Reactions: 7 users
Acceptance #1
School:
University of Texas School Houston
Notification Date: 12/03/2018
Method of notification: Email 1:00 AM EST
GPA (Science, Overall): 3.96, 3.93
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/22/20/22/None

Waitlist #1
School:
NOVA
Notification Date: 12/03/2018
Method of notification: Email 4:00 PM EST

Reactions: 3 users
Strictly going off vibes. Obviously the academia is top notch, however the atmosphere wasn't the best for me personally. By no means am I knocking the school. Great people! Just personally not my style. Plus my wife is a Yankees fan lol. Wouldn't have worked lol.
I have a friend who interviewed there and didn't like it either. Her impression was that it's a great school to specialize but not the best if you want to practice GD right after school.

Reactions: 1 user
Acceptance #1 ASDOH
Acceptance #2 Nova
Acceptance #3 Roseman
Acceptance #4 UDM

Did not hear from LECOM.

As a low GPA applicant I am feeling so blessed right now! Good luck to everyone!!
Do you mind if I ask what it was? I have a terrible GPA too and Im applying in May!

Interview # 1
School:
UT San Antonio
Notification date: 11/28/2018
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Texas
Application complete date: (I used TMDSAS) 09/30/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.06, 3.10
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/19/23/24

Thoroughly surprised I received an interview invitation at all given my stats and how late I applied (I submitted the application the day before it closed). If anyone has interviewed at this school and has any advice I would really appreciate it!
I have the same GPA and really want to go to San Antonio. What did you do on your application that made you stand out? How many volunteer and shadowing hours? I am applying next cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who interviewed there and didn't like it either. Her impression was that it's a great school to specialize but not the best if you want to practice GD right after school.

I shadowed some residents there through connection and have to agree that it’s not the best place to practice GD after school. Most students there wanna go to AEGD because they dont feel ready. Their crown requirement is like 4...

rejection #1: texas A&M
No longer interviewing out of state residents, oh well!

I didn't get one yet as OOS, so not sure if they forgot to send it or they only sent to AADSAS applicants (assuming you applied thru AADSAS).
I did apply through AADSAS, since only OOS apply through that I bet they only did it to AADSAS then

Interview #5: USC
But turning it down. They offered me Jan 9th or Jan 16th

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a non-trad. 32yo. Married. 2 kids. Wife works for airline (discount). Career change. Optimistic person who loooves options and travel. AAAAANNNNDDD money always matters.

Also I had a scholarship for my master's.. twas free... geez lol

Which masters program awarded you a scholarship ? If you don't mind me asking

Acceptance #.....oh right I'm still waiting to hear back from schools and get off a waitlist lol

Reactions: 15 users
I haven’t heard good things from Nova, from the blogs and from my friend attending. I got admission, at Nova, VCU, Maryland, and MW-IL.. Nova is my last option, not just b/c of what people say, but b/c of the vibe I got there... even a pharm student at the gas station outside gave me a bad review of the school...
I’m also a Florida resident... but I’m choosing to go outside and use this opportunity to keep growing

Whatever you choose, best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did you think of MW-IL?

What did you think of MW-IL?

I liked it. Modern, good pt load, and a new dean that’s improving the school (he came from AZ). Also very close to Chicago.

Very expensive and cold. But overall a good place to spend four years. It just wasn’t my top choice, but I would have considered it if VCU had not granted me admission.

What are your thoughts about MW-IL?

It's a great school and program. Some of the best clinical experiences in the country and very modern/advanced technology utilized. Obviously, very expensive as well. Would have highly considered if I did not get into OSU (roughly >$200K cheaper)

Or if you’re me....still waiting on interviews :(
It's not over until it's officially over!! Not hearing back yet is better than being rejected already. I'm also waiting on interviews since being waitlisted is kinda a gamble.

Reactions: 5 users
Interview #4 : Touro NYMC
No acceptances
Waitlist at NYU and UNLV

Does anyone have any insight on the interview or about the school in general? :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Waitlisted at MWU-IL via snail mail. Lol it was a pretty thin envelope and I really thought it was a rejection, but I guess it's good to hear something?

Acceptance #6 Penn!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
So for your leisurely reading I have a cautionary tale to share with you all:

NOVA sent me a rejection mid-Oct by mail. I called the school and spoke to a man from admissions about my file because I found it odd how quickly they rejected and that I did not receive an email or a status change on AADSAS. The first man I spoke with told me he could see that my file was under consideration. I owed the rejection letter up to a strange mishap.

In the meantime I was keeping in touch with and updating all the schools I applied to with letters of intent and a new LOR. By mid-Nov I had heard nothing from NOVA. On Dec 4th my status changed to "Application Denied", again no email. Again I called the admissions number, this time I spoke to a woman who'd said according to my file I was still under review and that she would pass along my concerns to Admissions directors an CC me in the email. Two days later I still hadn't heard a peep so I called, again. This time the first person I spoke with forwarded me to what I gather to be a more specific office of Admissions for dentistry. The admissions officer I spoke to informed me that they'd rejected my application back in Oct. A little confused about what felt like mind games and a cat and mouse act she clarified by saying that the "general admissions" I had talked to before, actually did not have access to my rejected status so to them it appeared as if I was still in the running.

Disappointed, I asked for some constructive feedback and she told me that my sGPA fell below their 3.25 cutoff. This was extremely strange to me as I had updated my formerly 3.21 sGPA (destroyed all from 2 courses first year chem I and Orgo I) included in the application I submitted back on June 5th. These academic updates were submitted in Aug and again in Sept with a bunch of science courses all in the 90's (20.0 units).

She responded "we do not check the AADSAS portal for updates, if you've made a change in the portal then you must personally inform us". I politely asked if she might reconsider my application based on the circumstances (that had they checked my update it would have been safely above the min sGPA). To my surprise she said she would try to present my application again to the committee to deliberate.

As soon as I hung up I went straight onto AADSAS. Something was fishy. I went into my payment history to investigate, and sure enough found that they had NOT updated any of my GPA's with the new grades. The individual institution GPAs were listed at the top of the report but they had not been used to recalculate the averages below. This included my sGPA, BCP and cGPA. I am now in the process of sorting out this mess with AADSAS head office, but long story short:

BEWARE of the information you think you know and question everything always lol. Better safe than sorry like stupid me who missed out on the most crucial window for applications.

Reactions: 9 users

NOVA sent me a rejection mid-Oct by mail. I called the school and spoke to a man from admissions about my file because I found it odd how quickly they rejected and that I did not receive an email or a status change on AADSAS. The first man I spoke with told me he could see that my file was under consideration. I owed the rejection letter up to a strange mishap.

In the meantime I was keeping in touch with and updating all the schools I applied to with letters of intent and a new LOR. By mid-Nov I had heard nothing from NOVA. On Dec 4th my status changed to "Application Denied", again no email. Again I called the admissions number, this time I spoke to a woman who'd said according to my file I was still under review and that she would pass along my concerns to Admissions directors an CC me in the email. Two days later I still hadn't heard a peep so I called, again. This time the first person I spoke with forwarded me to what I gather to be a more specific office of Admissions for dentistry. The admissions officer I spoke to informed me that they'd rejected my application back in Oct. A little confused about what felt like mind games and a cat and mouse act she clarified by saying that the "general admissions" I had talked to before, actually did not have access to my rejected status so to them it appeared as if I was still in the running.

Disappointed, I asked for some constructive feedback and she told me that my sGPA fell below their 3.25 cutoff. This was extremely strange to me as I had updated my formerly 3.21 sGPA (destroyed all from 2 courses first year chem I and Orgo I) included in the application I submitted back on June 5th. These academic updates were submitted in Aug and again in Sept with a bunch of science courses all in the 90's (20.0 units).

She responded "we do not check the AADSAS portal for updates, if you've made a change in the portal then you must personally inform us". I politely asked if she might reconsider my application based on the circumstances (that had they checked my update it would have been safely above the min sGPA). To my surprise she said she would try to present my application again to the committee to deliberate.

As soon as I hung up I went straight onto AADSAS. Something was fishy. I went into my payment history to investigate, and sure enough found that they had NOT updated any of my GPA's with the new grades. The individual institution GPAs were listed at the top of the report but they had not been used to recalculate the averages below. This included my sGPA, BCP and cGPA. I am now in the process of sorting out this mess with AADSAS head office, but long story short:

BEWARE of the information you think you know and question everything always lol. Better safe than sorry like stupid me who missed out on the most crucial window for applications.

I am sorry about what happened, but you did really try to reach out and you spoke with them more than once. You did everything you could within your power at the time.
I do hope they reconsider you and you get accepted at Nova or elsewhere.
Don't lose hope.

I just had the best interview at UNLV. Its number 4 but still no acceptance. sigh

I'm so sorry this happened to you! If AADSAS doesn't re-calculate our new GPAs and grades when we update our portal, we have to call every single school and inform them of the change?!

I'm so sorry this happened to you! If AADSAS doesn't re-calculate our new GPAs and grades when we update our portal, we have to call every single school and inform them of the change?!

Thank you for the condolences! I can't speak for everyone else regarding the academic updates, however, because of what happened to me I would strongly recommend just sending an email or calling admissions to update.

I am sorry about what happened, but you did really try to reach out and you spoke with them more than once. You did everything you could within your power at the time.
I do hope they reconsider you and you get accepted at Nova or elsewhere.
Don't lose hope.

Aw thank you so much for the kind words!:happy: Unfortunately, yes, centralized application services are an imperfect system and things like this do happen. :bag: I'm trying to remain optimistic; now that the issue has been identified I hope to see the results of my hard work paying off :banana:

Just found out I was actually waitlist at Nova lol. I had to email to find this out

Hello everyone.
I got accepted into one school so far. I was wondering how I can apply for any scholarships? Should it be directly thorough the school?

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats and are you a nevada resident? unlv is one of my top school for when i apply next cycle!
Well, I'm very non-traditional, I'm changing careers at the age of 44 (present). I returned to school with a 1.8 GPA and finished with a 3.2 overall science GPA, 3.4 total (includes many, many, many classes), and received my BS in Mol Bio with a 3.6 (the courses used to fulfill the major. My DAT is 20 TS, 20 AA, 21 PAT... there is a calculation they use to rate you as an applicant (google UNLV dental school applicant calculation). And lastly, I'm not NV res.. I'm from CA. Another pertinent thing, I attended a postbacc at UCSF. Good luck!!

Rejection #1 Temple on Dec 3rd

Rejection #2 Boston U Dec 12th

Waitlisted at USC

still reviewing app at NYU

white noise from Rutgers and WesternU

Waitlisted at USC

Sorry about that, hope you get accepted at one the schools that didn't reject you.

Waitlisted at USC

did u interview at Temple and Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies.