Official 2018 SHPEP thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Y’all aren’t on spring break?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the latest date for is program sites to make final decisions on their waitlist?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people who accepted UF for medical, what are the types of physicians the site offers to shadow?

Does anyone know if for the people who are still "in review", our student action date is extended or not?

Reactions: 1 users
For the people who accepted UF for medical, what are the types of physicians the site offers to shadow?
Im not sure, but it looks more like we will be practicing on dummies.

The thing is that SHPEP, or formerly SMDEP, has been running with many of these schools for quite some time. They really should have this whole process figured out already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I hope you guys get your answers soon!!! I still don't understand what happened :unsure: Must have been a huge miscommunication between the program sites & SHPEP's national office.

Does anyone know if for the people who are still "in review", our student action date is extended or not?
It says 2 business days from the time the status is updated, I assume you will still have 2 days

Did anyone else who is still “in review” for all of their sites not receive an email update?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a call from SHPEP.

Not accepted to UCLA, in review for UT and Waitlisted for Columbia.

I honestly feel with how late they're reviewing, i wont get a spot, i wish they had organized everything ahead of time, but anyway gotta keep positive vibes!

Those of you who still haven't heard back, I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I am praying for you! You will hear back soon and YOU WILL GET IN. If you don't get in, know that you are still smart and beautiful people. You will reach you goals no matter what if you never give up on your dreams. Much Love!

Reactions: 13 users
I'm new to this thread.
Columbia- not accepted
Rutgers- site full
UAB- waitlisted
Hoping for UAB. I'm from a small state school. 4.0, good rec letter and ECs. URM.
Anyone else waitlisted for UAB?

Does site full mean you got accepted but the other people that got accepted already confirmed and filled it? or that they didn't bother reading your application because the site was already full?

Does site full mean you got accepted but the other people that got accepted already confirmed and filled it? or that they didn't bother reading your application because the site was already full?
Thats a good question, im honestly not sure

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing great!
I got accepted into UT and UF. I just wanted to hear your opinions on which one I should accept. I want to go to UT for when I go to dental school , but UF's program looks amazing. What do you think?

On the shpep page it says all of those who are in review will have their decision by 5pm est

Not accepted to Columbia, UCLA & waitlisted on UF. Oh man fingers crossed for everyone !!

Reactions: 4 users
Those of you who still haven't heard back, I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I am praying for you! You will hear back soon and YOU WILL GET IN. If you don't get in, know that you are still smart and beautiful people. You will reach you goals no matter what if you never give up on your dreams. Much Love!
Thank you so much for your uplifting words!! No matter what, we are smart, more doors will open for us.

I think they accept the maximum amount of students all at once (which is ~80ish). So maybe site full means that they liked your application, but by the time they saw it they had already issued out acceptances? Not sure though :/

Does anyone know when will hear back from waitlisted? Thanks !

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing great!
I got accepted into UT and UF. I just wanted to hear your opinions on which one I should accept. I want to go to UT for when I go to dental school , but UF's program looks amazing. What do you think?
Well I think that if UT is your goal dental school, you should go to UT SHPEP! Spending 6 weeks with those on the admissions committee will help them put a name to a face and will definitely help you out! And for those who are still waiting, good luck!! Like it's been said before, things will 100% work out the way that they're meant to! Trust in God's plan and many prayers! No matter what, you'll reach your goal!

Accepted to Uni. of Louisville! Message me if any of you are going there :)

Columbia: Accepted & CONFIRMEDDDDD!!!!! :clap::love:
Rutgers: waitlisted
UCLA: denied

Good luck to everyone!! Stay positive if you haven't gotten your results yet!

Reactions: 5 users
3hrs till "in review" dissapears, im praying i get good news before then!

Hey, y’all!
I just heard back from SHPEP after having all these hours of waiting. All of these are for nursing!
Nebraska- Accepted
UCLA- Denied
Rutgers- Waitlisted

I think I’m going to go ahead and accept the offer from Nebraska even though Rutgers was my #2!
Stats:
-URM (AA), economically disadvantaged
-GPA: 3.06 at time of applying
-Really good letter of recommendation
-Strong personal statement—both personal and informational aspects in it
-Lots of involvement on campus and in community (Health clubs, volunteering, other clubs, CNA)

Congrats to everyone who got in; if you didn’t, remember that what’s meant to be will be; there will be plenty more great opportunities!

Hello everyone! I was waitlisted for LSU and was wondering what my best bet would be. Should I contact the university? If so, any ideas of what I would say? Congrats to everyone that has made it! Still waiting on Texas.

OMG I was so worried and thought that I got rejected to all the sites because at midnight all my sites said “In Review”.

I checked every hour since I woke up this morning and my status page FINALLY updated!!!!

Nebraska: Accepted
Iowa: Waitlisted
Florida: Rejected

I was eating lunch at a food court and I tried so hard to not scream!! I’m going for dental :) CONGRATS EVERYONE and for those who are still waiting anxiously, YOU WILL ALL GET IN!!

Reactions: 3 users
Man it seems like UT med is some of the ones people are waiting for, i pray everyone gets in! We got this!

Congrats to everybody that got accepted!! To anyone in review still, hope you get your answers soon. This is so exciting :soexcited:

In case I forget later, it’s been a fun ride on this forum. Pretty unique people here. I may be here Monday night when I wait for Columbia’s waitlist decisions if I don’t make UT today. Feel free to send me a message and I would love to add y’all on social media!

I'm new to this thread.
Columbia- not accepted
Rutgers- site full
UAB- waitlisted
Hoping for UAB. I'm from a small state school. 4.0, good rec letter and ECs. URM.
Anyone else waitlisted for UAB?
I am!

Have most people in past years opted out of SHPEP and as a result, were waitlisted students chosen?

Hello everyone! I was waitlisted for LSU and was wondering what my best bet would be. Should I contact the university? If so, any ideas of what I would say? Congrats to everyone that has made it! Still waiting on Texas.
Same here for UF ! I don’t know what to do