Official 2018 SHPEP thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's just remember that everything happens for a reason. Although participating in a program like this is a blessing, it is not going to make or break our future. At the end of the day, we will all achieve our dreams. I will probably use this summer to take an extra class, work, and start shadowing/volunteering. Even though I am a freshman, I probably won't reapply next year because this was low key traumatic lol. I wish you guys all the best!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
It really wasn’t a fun experience having to wait. I’ve applied, been accepted, and even rejected to many different programs. I just wish that releasing all the decisions was universal. I don’t know what happened.
Let's just remember that everything happens for a reason. Although participating in a program like this is a blessing, it is not going to make or break our future. At the end of the day, we will all achieve our dreams. I will probably use this summer to take an extra class, work, and start shadowing/volunteering. Even though I am a freshman, I probably won't reapply next year because this was low key traumatic lol. I wish you guys all the best!!!!

Hey guys! I’m new year, and so received the email letting me know that I’ve been:

Howard- accepted
University of Texas at Houston- accepted
Columbia- waitlisted

Gpa- 3.9
Good rec letters, various health clubs, CNA, volunteering, URM

Congrats everyone who’ve been accepted so far. Those that are waitlisted or have been rejected, stay hopeful— our futures will continue to be bright and rewarding with many more opportunities!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely think this year's decisions were very unfair. Fortunately, my decisions were up few hours ago, but for those whose status has been updated just few minutes ago, that is really unfortunate and unfair. Decisions should have been released all at once at the exact same time, so that everyone gets a chance to review their decisions. What if one got accepted to a site, but because of the system glitch, he/she wasn't able to even view the decision? That's extremely unfair because a group of people probably have already confirmed their accepted site before other people were even notified of the decisions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Do you know if we can contact sites about why we weren't accepted?

I definitely think this year's decisions were very unfair. Fortunately, my decisions were up this morning, but for those whose status has been updated just few minutes ago, that is really unfortunate and unfair. Decisions should have been released all at once at the exact same time, so that everyone gets a chance to review their decisions. What if one got accepted to a site, but because of the system glitch, he/she wasn't able to even view the decision? That's extremely unfair because a group of people probably have already confirmed their accepted site before other people were even notified of the decisions.
I agree because I would’ve already accepted hours ago. Oh well I guess

New to the thread:

-Accepted to Nebraska (Nursing)
-Rejected by UCLA (Nursing) and UW (Public Health)
-Current Sophomore in 2nd semester of nursing school!

Anyone else here going to Nebraska for nursing?

Could someone send a link for where to check if accepted or not?
when you log into your account there is a section that says application status and a link that says view details. If you click the link it will show you your status.

Totally! Rejection/waitlist is a sign that theres something bigger and better for us. Keeping the dream alive and pushing through downtimes will make us stronger. Good luck!
I 100% agree!! Bigger and better things await, and you will get them! Good luck to you too!! Also for those who were wait listed, I was poking around on an old forum and I found that people who were wait listed and emailed the individual sites about how they were still very interested in participating and how beneficial the program would be for them got taken off the wait list! Of course there's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot!

Reactions: 1 users
Still on the waitlist & it’s a nerve racking! Hope for the best to all!

Hey guys! I’m new year, and so received the email letting me know that I’ve been:

Howard- accepted
University of Texas at Houston- accepted
Columbia- waitlisted

Gpa- 3.9
Good rec letters, various health clubs, CNA, volunteering, URM

Congrats everyone who’ve been accepted so far. Those that are waitlisted or have been rejected, stay hopeful— our futures will continue to be bright and rewarding with many more opportunities!
Ahh congrats!! I had the same stats for dental but unfortunately I got waitlisted for all 3 sites

I 100% agree!! Bigger and better things await, and you will get them! Good luck to you too!! Also for those who were wait listed, I was poking around on an old forum and I found that people who were wait listed and emailed the individual sites about how they were still very interested in participating and how beneficial the program would be for them got taken off the wait list! Of course there's no guarantee, but it's worth a shot!
Yes, nothing in life is gauranteed but I’ll call them! Its worth it! Thanks so much for your moral support. =)

SOS - UT said that the site was full earlier but I just got put on the waitlist!? My status changed????

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, if you got accepted but the site reaches its capacity before you confirm the site, does that mean you can’t confirm your site?

Just wondering, if you got accepted but the site reaches its capacity before you confirm the site, does that mean you can’t confirm your site?
I don't believe so. I think the way it works is that you have 2 days to confirm your accepted site(s) before they start filling to capacity on a first come, first serve basis.

Does Rutgers have a waitlist? I have "site is full" indicated on mine, but if they have a waitlist, then why was I not waitlisted instead?

Does Rutgers have a waitlist? I have "site is full" indicated on mine, but if they have a waitlist, then why was I not waitlisted instead?
Mine is the same way. I wondered the same thing, but I really don't know.

Applied to Columbia, UF, and UCLA.
Got into UCLA !!! (My top choice)
and denied to Columbia/UF
So excited. Can't wait to meet the other UCLA Pre-Med SHPEP peeps!
could I ask what your stats were for your application?

I got waitlisted for LSU (action date: 3/14), not accepted for Rutgers (action date: 3/15), and WesternU said their site was full (action date: 3/14). I know a lot of people were constantly checking for their decisions but I really wasn't because I was nervous (and busy) but it kind of sucks because with WesternU's site being full and the decision being released 3/14, I wouldn't even know if I was accepted or not and 80 people responded before I did. I only picked Rutgers because I thought it'd be a safe school that I'd get into but I might as well have went big and shot for UCLA or Columbia lol. My stats are:
3.14 gpa, URM (AA), a good letter of rec., and a pretty good personal statement.
It just sucks because I was so stressed and I applied to other summer programs and already got denied those so this is basically my last hope for this summer (I'll just be taking an anatomy class and working at Starbucks otherwise.)
Best of luck to everyone else and congrats to anyone who made it in! I just know everything happens for a reason!

I’m trying to choose between UT and Howard for nursing. Any suggestions guys?

Hey everyone! I got into University of Nebraska for premed!!! Has anyone ever done it/know how it’ll be? And, has anybody else gotten in here? :)

Hi!

UAB - Accepted (opt)
Western - Accepted and Confirmed (opt)
Columbia - rejected (med)

GPA: 3.86
Freshmen
East Asian American
Low income
Volunteered at church
Did winter internship
Volunteered at hospital in underrepresented minority neighborhoods
Send in application and completed by 1/23

Does anyone know what "action date" means by the way? Thanks!

Hi!

UAB - Accepted (opt)
Western - Accepted and Confirmed (opt)
Columbia - rejected (med)

GPA: 3.86
Freshmen
East Asian American
Low income
Volunteered at church
Did winter internship
Volunteered at hospital in underrepresented minority neighborhoods
Send in application and completed by 1/23

Does anyone know what "action date" means by the way? Thanks!
That is simply the date they made your acceptance decision! If you confirmed, that is the date that you confirmed! Congrats!!

I got waitlisted for LSU (action date: 3/14), not accepted for Rutgers (action date: 3/15), and WesternU said their site was full (action date: 3/14). I know a lot of people were constantly checking for their decisions but I really wasn't because I was nervous (and busy) but it kind of sucks because with WesternU's site being full and the decision being released 3/14, I wouldn't even know if I was accepted or not and 80 people responded before I did. I only picked Rutgers because I thought it'd be a safe school that I'd get into but I might as well have went big and shot for UCLA or Columbia lol. My stats are:
3.14 gpa, URM (AA), a good letter of rec., and a pretty good personal statement.
It just sucks because I was so stressed and I applied to other summer programs and already got denied those so this is basically my last hope for this summer (I'll just be taking an anatomy class and working at Starbucks otherwise.)
Best of luck to everyone else and congrats to anyone who made it in! I just know everything happens for a reason!
Yes! Dont feel down. I know that feeling! Its good to know you have a plan B! Keep pushing for your dreams! You might just get into your waitlisted site, You never know.

Who’s gonna be here Monday night for waitlist results?

Anyone else waitlisted for UF?

Who’s gonna be here Monday night for waitlist results?
I wonder if most people get off of the waitlist on Monday or if they just start taking people off little by little. I was waitlisted at LSU, so I am waiting to hear back from them.

I wonder if most people get off of the waitlist on Monday or if they just start taking people off little by little. I was waitlisted at LSU, so I am waiting to hear back from them.
Columbia said they’ll email students who made it off the waitlist. I’m waiting for UT also and I haven’t heard back from the coordinator.

Turned down UF and Howard, accepted LSU. Hopefully people on UF and Howard's waitlist can go now. UF was my dream but it starts may 14th, the week my finals start haha, so i don't want to take all of my finals early so im going to LSU now.

Reactions: 4 users
Turned down UF and Howard, accepted LSU. Hopefully people on UF and Howard's waitlist can go now. UF was my dream but it starts may 14th, the week my finals start haha, so i don't want to take all of my finals early so im going to LSU now.
Cool i'm LSU dental! UF is also my dream lol

Reactions: 3 users
Cool i'm LSU dental! UF is also my dream lol

That's awesome! Yeah UF was my dream school until about a month ago when I found out they accept 98% in state students and only 2% out of state students. They're 2nd to only East Carolina in terms of not accepting OOS students, East Carolina accepts 100% instate and no OOS students haha. Now Temple and LECOM are the schools im aiming for, my in state schools.