-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**Official 2019 Dental Anesthesiology PASS/Interviews/Match**
Started by illmakeyousleep
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If I didn't receive an invite does it mean that I've been rejected?
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Highly doubt it, it is still early in the cycle. Lutheran has another month before their deadline ends.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you submit your PASS application? I submitted mine on Sep 1st.Highly doubt it, it is still early in the cycle. Lutheran has another month before their deadline ends.
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Submitted mid-July which is a bit early. Heard that programs don't even start looking at applications until September.When did you submit your PASS application? I submitted mine on Sep 1st.
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
1. NYU Lutheran 9/13 (Phone) - Interview 10/30 and 10/31, social for both on 10/30
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
1. NYU Lutheran 9/13 (Phone) - Interview 10/30 and 10/31, social for both on 10/30
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19
Last edited:
nivekk2026
New Member
@illmakeyousleep, did you do externships at these programs?
Last edited:
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Illmakeyousleep, did you do externships at these programs?
I did externships at Lutheran, UofPitt, Ohio and Stony Brook. 3-5 days at each program. I did not do one at Jacobi which might be why I didn't get offered an interview there, but a friend of mine who did an externship at Jacobi got an invite.
nivekk2026
New Member
I did externships at Lutheran, UofPitt, Ohio and Stony Brook. 3-5 days at each program. I did not do one at Jacobi which might be why I didn't get offered an interview there, but a friend of mine who did an externship at Jacobi got an invite.
Thanks, are you currently in dental school?
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Thanks, are you currently in dental school?
Yup! Are you applying as well or interested in becoming a DA?
nivekk2026
New Member
Yup! Are you applying as well or interested in becoming a DA?
I’m applying! PM me if you have time to chat!
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Nice! Will be seeing you at the interviews. Best of luck to you and the rest of us aspiring DAs
I've only got an invite from Jacobi so far. Did not apply to Pitts. I am kind of bummed about Lutheran though. Was hoping to get an invite there.
nivekk2026
New Member
dental_hopeful did you do an externship at NYU?I've only got an invite from Jacobi so far. Did not apply to Pitts. I am kind of bummed about Lutheran though. Was hoping to get an invite there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@nivekk2026 PM me!
Delete this post if it’s not allowed, but what exactly is DA? As in what are your daily duties, where do you practice, etc. I’ve applied to dental school this cycle and have been lucky enough to receive 4 interviews, but when I’ve researched DA I don’t get much information about it online. I am going in to dentistry to become a GD, but I am just curious as to what all a DA does! If someone would rather PM me and just tell me, that’s fine, I’m not trying to hijack this thread! I felt it was easier to post it here considering you all have applied to these residencies instead of posting it on the general forums and getting biased opinions/answers. Thanks!
Yea probably more appropriate to have posted this on a different thread. But here's a very superficial short and sweet answer: DA does a three year coda approved residency solely dedicated to learning IV sedation and general anesthesia. After residency, you are the anesthesiologist for dental/omfs patients who require IV sedation or general anesthesia. You do the anesthesia, someone else does the actual procedure. That's the direction DA is going right now. Go to dental school, work hard, and keep an open mind to all areas of dentistry!Delete this post if it’s not allowed, but what exactly is DA? As in what are your daily duties, where do you practice, etc. I’ve applied to dental school this cycle and have been lucky enough to receive 4 interviews, but when I’ve researched DA I don’t get much information about it online. I am going in to dentistry to become a GD, but I am just curious as to what all a DA does! If someone would rather PM me and just tell me, that’s fine, I’m not trying to hijack this thread! I felt it was easier to post it here considering you all have applied to these residencies instead of posting it on the general forums and getting biased opinions/answers. Thanks!
Yea probably more appropriate to have posted this on a different thread. But here's a very superficial short and sweet answer: DA does a three year coda approved residency solely dedicated to learning IV sedation and general anesthesia. After residency, you are the anesthesiologist for dental/omfs patients who require IV sedation or general anesthesia. You do the anesthesia, someone else does the actual procedure. That's the direction DA is going right now. Go to dental school, work hard, and keep an open mind to all areas of dentistry!
Thank you for the answer! Someone can delete my post now if they’d like. And yes, I am absolutely keeping my mind open. Thanks again!
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Has anyone heard from Stony Brook or Ohio State yet?
According to Stony Brook's website, they will send out interview invites the first week of October.
According to OSU's website, they said invites will be sent out in Septemeber. So, hopefully next week!
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Delete this post if it’s not allowed, but what exactly is DA? As in what are your daily duties, where do you practice, etc. I’ve applied to dental school this cycle and have been lucky enough to receive 4 interviews, but when I’ve researched DA I don’t get much information about it online. I am going in to dentistry to become a GD, but I am just curious as to what all a DA does! If someone would rather PM me and just tell me, that’s fine, I’m not trying to hijack this thread! I felt it was easier to post it here considering you all have applied to these residencies instead of posting it on the general forums and getting biased opinions/answers. Thanks!
And to add to what @navirpid said in his post, once you hit 3rd year and you are still interested in what a DA does, do some externships at programs to get a first hand look. Best of luck at your dental school interviews and dental school!
And to add to what @navirpid said in his post, once you hit 3rd year and you are still interested in what a DA does, do some externships at programs to get a first hand look. Best of luck at your dental school interviews and dental school!
Thank you! I appreciate the advice!
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
1. NYU Lutheran 9/13, 9/21 (Phone) - Interview 10/30 and 10/31, social for both on 10/30
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19, social on 10/18
4. Stony Brook University 9/23 (email) - Interview 10/31, social on 10/30
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19, social on 10/18
4. Stony Brook University 9/23 (email) - Interview 10/31, social on 10/30
Hey all! Finally found this thread. Got the NYU invite about a week and a half ago, and Stony Brook last night! I externed at Stony, NYU, Ohio state, Pitt, and Jacobi. I applied to all except Jacobi... Just didn't seems like a fit for me. I'll be at NYU on the 30th and Stony on the 31st of Oct. Really nervous that I haven't heard anything from Pitt or Ohio as they are both excellent programs. Word from the residents and program directors I've spoken with is that it's a pretty strong applicant class this year, one program has 44 applications so far. Add that to the fact that 3 programs have closed in the last 3 years... Good luck to us all!
Why is it programs keep closing? Looks like only 6 remain standing.Add that to the fact that 3 programs have closed in the last 3 years
Big Hoss
The whole profession is a bit fluid. From my understanding it's all about money and relationships. A relationship sours and programs close. A new oral surgeon or physician anesthesiologist moves in as head of a department and doesn't like dentists learning GA and poof program gone. For example, Loma Linda is remodeling their hospital and straight upon ran out of money to pay residents. Now their program is not accepting residents, at least until the remodel is done and they can secure funding. I think that Dental Anesthesiology has a good chance of getting specialty recognition in the next few years. After that there is a good chance that the number of programs and teaching jobs will greatly increase.Why is it programs keep closing? Looks like only 6 remain standing.
Big Hoss
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
1. NYU Lutheran 9/13, 9/21 (Phone) - Interview 10/30 and 10/31, social for both on 10/30
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19, social on 10/18
4. Stony Brook University 9/23 (email) - Interview 10/31, social on 10/30
5. The Ohio State University 9/25 (email) - Interview 10/22, social on 10/21
2. Jacobi 9/17 (email) - Interview 11/2
3. University of Pittsburgh 9/18 (email) - Interview 10/19, social on 10/18
4. Stony Brook University 9/23 (email) - Interview 10/31, social on 10/30
5. The Ohio State University 9/25 (email) - Interview 10/22, social on 10/21
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Thanks @navirpid! Good luck everyone See you guys in October!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been out of school for over four years and I applied. Matched today! Based on talking to residents during the externships and interviews I did, there are quite a few residents who got in after being out of school for a few years. So it can be done!
Congrats on your match!! Could you check your PMs?
illmakeyousleep
Full Member
Congrats to all those who matched this cycle!
Just wanted to pass along an opportunity to those still looking. I received this email from a colleague currently at a GPR in Chicago.
“The hospital of the program I am currently attending - Advocate Illinois Masonic GPR - is officially opening up a new Dental Anesthesia program starting July 1st. They have received all their accreditation and approvals as of two weeks ago. It will be run by Dr. Kenneth Kromash who is a Dentist Anesthesiologist who comes in every Thursday and acts as our attending as us residents IV sedate patients with special needs in order to get their dental work done. My co residents and I learned a lot with Dr. Kromash. He's the perfect person to lead this new Dental Anesthesia program and he's open to talk to anyone who is interested. If you are interested or want to hear more about it feel free to contact myself or Dr. Kromash at [email protected]. “
Hope this helps!
Just wanted to pass along an opportunity to those still looking. I received this email from a colleague currently at a GPR in Chicago.
“The hospital of the program I am currently attending - Advocate Illinois Masonic GPR - is officially opening up a new Dental Anesthesia program starting July 1st. They have received all their accreditation and approvals as of two weeks ago. It will be run by Dr. Kenneth Kromash who is a Dentist Anesthesiologist who comes in every Thursday and acts as our attending as us residents IV sedate patients with special needs in order to get their dental work done. My co residents and I learned a lot with Dr. Kromash. He's the perfect person to lead this new Dental Anesthesia program and he's open to talk to anyone who is interested. If you are interested or want to hear more about it feel free to contact myself or Dr. Kromash at [email protected]. “
Hope this helps!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 66
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 90
- Views
- 17K
- Replies
- 413
- Views
- 182K
- Replies
- 238
- Views
- 45K