USMLE Official 2019 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libertyyne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets get this started.
M2. Mid Tier everything.
Entertaining some surgical sub-specialties.

Goal 270
Happy with 245

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Now that you mentioned antibiotics, the issue with antimicrobials is that they 're categorized as Pharm but there is no specific system that corresponds exclusively to the microbiology section of FA. Basically you 're guaranteed to get questions about HIV medication in any system you can imagine other than Psych.

I cannot understand why would anyone convert a book into a Qbank, but then get out of their way to use a different system to index questions compared to the book they use as reference material.
I dont really mind this bc we covered all anti virals, antibiotics, antifungals, etc in first semester so its sort of popping up in the way I’m already used to.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to uworld treatment options for c dif are oral vanco and fidaxomicin which I’ve never even heard of before I missed a question haha
Why do you hurt me so bad? Lol.

Finished GI now onto cardio and dreading it. Last year it was a straight dumpster fire at my school. Hopefully this works out.

According to uworld treatment options for c dif are oral vanco and fidaxomicin which I’ve never even heard of before I missed a question haha

It's in a tiny corner in FA. It's crazy how many times myself I 've read details in FA but didn't realize they were actually there until they pop up in a question.

It's in a tiny corner in FA. It's crazy how many times myself I 've read details in FA but didn't realize they were actually there until they pop up in a question.

This happened to me today, read antibiotics recently yet seeing linezolid be a cause of serotonin syndrome in a question baffled me lol guess i glazed over that part

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Looking at the Kaplan QBank options right now for the future 'cause I got merked again by biochemistry (RIP to my self-esteem) & need a little break.

Is the "QBank Integrated Plan" worth it? I'm wondering what those 26 mastery assessments are. I don't care about the videos 'cause I have B&B. I'd rather save the $160 if I can & just buy the QBank for $200

https://ww1.kaptest.com/usmle/pract...71.1397514493.1547667224-324098608.1547667224

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I want to do Firecracker during dedicated and if I had the time I definitely would. But with how slow I’m going through UWorld and all the practice exams I need to take, I’ll be lucky to do more than 20-30 cards a day occasionally on my phone. I’m not using Boards and Beyond or any lectures. I might get around to watching the three Sketchy pharm videos I haven’t seen. But yeah just literally only UWorld at this point.

Got another 250 on NBME13. 185/200 questions correct. One question was on a topic I’ve never seen, another question was super tricky. Other than that, the other 13 questions I missed were all ones that greater than 60% of people would be getting right on question banks which is pretty frustrating.
Any updates on your practice tests and UW%?. Rooting for you!

Seems so.

I feel you man. Btw those are some crazy percentages you got there, are these 1st pass scores?

First pass, but only going through organ systems I've covered and mostly on tutor mode. I was also on a hot streak the last few days which is why I was so annoyed with the glitching (which is silly, I know). I'm probably averaging around 85% now, percentages have gone up as I've covered more organ systems so that I can get the miscategorized Rx questions. Started at around 65-70%, currently 83% overall.

Update.
Took winterbreak completely off.
Behind the ball now. since school studying has been taking up a good chunk of my time.

Question for Anki users especially @Gurby
How many reviews have you completed over the past year so far? Im only at 100k since the start of school in august.

Got an email that the NBME practice site is gonna be updated next month. Think they're gonna come out with NBME 20?

Update.
Took winterbreak completely off.
Behind the ball now. since school studying has been taking up a good chunk of my time.

Question for Anki users especially @Gurby
How many reviews have you completed over the past year so far? Im only at 100k since the start of school in august.

Mannnn I feel you RE being behind the ball... I went super hard over winter break, but the past 10 days I have completely fallen off the wagon. Have been super busy with required nonsense at school, tons of research obligations, and some EC's I'm involved in. I've also been doing some experiential learning - had some health problem arise and have been in constant 3/10 pain every day which makes it so hard to focus. Definitely have renewed empathy and appreciation for how much chronic health problems can really screw up your life and your mental health. Currently ~3000 cards in the hole... I'm keeping up with cards for our current block, and treading water on the scheduled cards each day, but having a tough time chipping away at the deficit.

But anyways to answer your question... Below is the sum total of my med school anki reviews. You can see the sudden spike ~5 months ago when classes started up after M1-2 summer... I guess I'd estimate ~120k this year so far? Looks like on average I'm going way harder this year compared to last year. Pretty negligible progress on the QBanks sadly - had hoped to put a dent in them right now but with all the stuff going on just haven't been able to. Gotta get back on that Anki wagon first!

Image 32.png

Reactions: 2 users
Does anybody else have an earlier Anki reset time (mine is 10pm) and you just sit there 60 seconds before the decks reset anxiously waiting to see how f***** you are the next morning?

Cause I do.

Thought I'd give a quick update.

Matured 10% of Zanki. I've focused a lot more on this deck and its starting to show on my scores. Previously was at 45-50% average on USMLE Rx. Currently at doing 50 questions per day on USMLE Rx. I am at the halfway completion point of USMLE Rx and average 65%.

Planning to start Uworld on monday. Tutor mode. Hoping to do 20 questions per day of previously covered systems. Plan on continuing 50qs of USMLE Rx on the current system (repro, then Musculoskeletal). Hoping to ramp up Uworld questions once I get closer to completing USMLERx.

Wish me luck boys and girls,

Reactions: 4 users
Mannnn I feel you RE being behind the ball... I went super hard over winter break, but the past 10 days I have completely fallen off the wagon. Have been super busy with required nonsense at school, tons of research obligations, and some EC's I'm involved in. I've also been doing some experiential learning - had some health problem arise and have been in constant 3/10 pain every day which makes it so hard to focus. Definitely have renewed empathy and appreciation for how much chronic health problems can really screw up your life and your mental health. Currently ~3000 cards in the hole... I'm keeping up with cards for our current block, and treading water on the scheduled cards each day, but having a tough time chipping away at the deficit.

But anyways to answer your question... Below is the sum total of my med school anki reviews. You can see the sudden spike ~5 months ago when classes started up after M1-2 summer... I guess I'd estimate ~120k this year so far? Looks like on average I'm going way harder this year compared to last year. Pretty negligible progress on the QBanks sadly - had hoped to put a dent in them right now but with all the stuff going on just haven't been able to. Gotta get back on that Anki wagon first!

View attachment 247988
you are killing it dude. I hope you feel better and all is well going forward.

I am seriously thinking of abandoning zanki and just doing qbanks going forward with a small deck for in corrects. For me the payoff was in the initial learning and now where i can relearn cards that I need to quickly.

you are killing it dude. I hope you feel better and all is well going forward.

I am seriously thinking of abandoning zanki and just doing qbanks going forward with a small deck for in corrects. For me the payoff was in the initial learning and now where i can relearn cards that I need to quickly.

Thanks! :highfive:

Iiiiiiii dunno about this plan of yours though... What about if you just increased your intervals and targeted a lower %correct?

I guess if you make cards from QBanks as you go you'll fill any gaps that emerge... but I worry that you'll end up making cards for material that you already had Zanki cards for but just forgot... thus decreasing efficiency.

On the other hand I guess there comes a point in everyone's prep when it becomes correct to drastically reduce anki time and increase qbank time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 247988
Damn

NBME 15 - 250 (46 days out)
NBME 13 - 250 (30 days out)
NBME 16 - 252 (23 days out)
NBME 19 - 250 (16 days out)
UW % - 84.4%

Damn dude, dat consistency. Have you had similar weaknesses on every test? How do you think you get most of your questions wrong?

NBME 15 - 250 (46 days out)
NBME 13 - 250 (30 days out)
NBME 16 - 252 (23 days out)
NBME 19 - 250 (16 days out)
UW % - 84.4%

Do you do UWorld on timed mode with sets of 40 only or does it vary?

I usually change about 3-5 questions from the correct choice to incorrect. I miss about 5-7 questions because I've forgotten a detail or don't know the material well enough. The remaining couple questions I miss are on topics where I understand the concept very well but I'm not sure which answer choice the exam writer wants me to choose.

That's interesting. How many do you change from incorrect to correct?

I've made a spreadsheet for my misses and I've been able to categorize basically all my errors as diagnosis problems (couldn't figure out what the condition was), knowledge gaps (hadn't studied the condition or complication), memory failures (forgot some detail), or careless errors (misread question/answer, missed some detail). The meta-analysis has made me approach questions a little differently, especially when I don't feel totally secure in an answer (IE, why don't I feel secure in this answer?). Also I've learned that I rarely change answers from correct to incorrect, and I do correct a fair amount of incorrect answers, so when I go back and review, I'm always willing to change my original answer, even though that kind of goes against the common advice.

Not on timed mode. Sets of 40 on tutor. I usually finish every block with 20-30 minutes left though so I don't think doing it on timed would make any difference.

Ah okay! This makes me feel better doing mine on untimed tutor because so many people keep preaching about doing the entire qbank on timed real mode, but I learn better on untimed tutor LOL.

CBSE scores came in: 205 with 8 weeks (58 days but who's counting) to go. Really happy with the score, goal is 240. Only started UWorld 3 weeks ago but I am learning so much already. Feeling pumped and ready to start dedicated!

Anybody else kinda wonder how 3rd year might go without the crutch of an a/b/c/d answer choice available to you to choose from when you're getting pimped?

I know it's a problem for like 6 months from now but ya know... neuroticism.

Reactions: 3 users
Anybody else kinda wonder how 3rd year might go without the crutch of an a/b/c/d answer choice available to you to choose from when you're getting pimped?

I'm excited for this. I don't particular like how getting the questions right during the pre-clinical years depends so much on test-taking skill and less on how much you know.

Some people have this down, like answer the q right after they finish their question. Me? I need my 60-90seconds to answer before im confident enough to select an answer choice

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1st NBME today, NBME 13 - 259. A great relief to know that I'm heading in the right direction. Exam in 4 months.

Also anybody else taking their test in mid/late May or June? We 're gonna have to go through an awfully long waiting period to get our results since they announced they 're changing the question pool, just like last year.

Reactions: 8 users
If you’re scoring that high already shouldn’t you move your test forward? And what do you
Mean about them changing the test pool?

If you’re scoring that high already shouldn’t you move your test forward? And what do you
Mean about them changing the test pool?

If I make it to the match, I'm not gonna have any actual USCE and scores will be the only strong card in my hand, so I need to make absolutely sure I secure them. So I'm not rushing it, plus I 've only done FA and Rx so far and it would be foolish not to finish UWorld and the all rest of the online NBMEs before I sit the exam. I might move it a few weeks earlier depending on how the rest of the prep goes.

Regarding the delay, here's the latest announcement:

"Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test beginning the week of May 5, 2019.

The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing the week of May 5 through mid-June will be Wednesday, July 10, 2019. For examinees whose circumstances require that they receive Step 1 scores before July 10, 2019, it is recommended that they take Step 1 no later than May 4, 2019."

1st NBME today, NBME 13 - 259. A great relief to know that I'm heading in the right direction. Exam in 4 months.

Also anybody else taking their test in mid/late May or June? We 're gonna have to go through an awfully long waiting period to get our results since they announced they 're changing the question pool, just like last year.
holy crap dude, i would take the exam in a month. What have you been doing to prepare?

holy crap dude, i would take the exam in a month. What have you been doing to prepare?

I spent 3 months building a foundation with a mixture of Kaplan and BnB. Exceptions were CMMRS for Micro and HY for Gross anatomy. I covered everything system-wise. I picked one resource only, depending on I what I thought was best for each subject and sticked to it. I directly annotated to FA from day 1, which was extremely helpful. This served as 1st pass for FA.

The next 2 months I started doing a 2nd pass of FA. I reviewed one system at a time and then, I solved the corresponding questions for that system from Rx, averaging 87%. Hence my nagging for Rx about question categorization in the previous page.

Is take it earlier don’t burn out lol

Just got a question "wrong" in Rx where the explanation explained that the answer choice was right and why the others were wrong and the answer rx had marked as "correct" explained why the option was wrong. LOL rx out here trying to tank my %.

Holy balls I hate myself...

Reactions: 3 users
I spent 3 months building a foundation with a mixture of Kaplan and BnB. Exceptions were CMMRS for Micro and HY for Gross anatomy. I covered everything system-wise. I picked one resource only, depending on I what I thought was best for each subject and sticked to it. I directly annotated to FA from day 1, which was extremely helpful. This served as 1st pass for FA.

The next 2 months I started doing a 2nd pass of FA. I reviewed one system at a time and then, I solved the corresponding questions for that system from Rx, averaging 87%. Hence my nagging for Rx about question categorization in the previous page.
are you an FMG or IMG?
I am planning on taking the exam close to yours, but we havent even finished all the subjects yet!!