Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last cycle my co-resident updated a program that they won PCP of the month. Was followed up with a rejection the next day.
That rejection was going to happen anyway.

If a program is going to reject you for an award, for advocacy, for outreach for wellness and for recognition, is not worth the trouble to even interview at the place.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Long time lurker, first time posting.

US-IMG
Community program, university affiliated
Step 1: 250/ step 2: 260/ step 3: 245 all passed first attempt
4 case reports (1st autor), 2 posters, 1 e-book chapter (1st author), 1 manuscript (1st author) - all GI related

Looking for honest insight in match probability. Thanks!

It's that time of the year.
Everyone getting everything ready for submission. It is going to be a good year.
Lots of new programs to apply to (WV Marshall University is one of them).

For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

Format, please.

AMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

US-IMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
- Questions You have

IMG-Visa - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help, I wish everyone the best.
IMG- Visa required- 263,261,254-13 publucations(2 meta analysis as second author, 1 retrospective analysis as second author, 5 case reports 1st author, 2 case reports as second author, 1 review article 1st author, 2 abstracts at ddw). Current PGY-3 in a mid tier University Program with in house fellowship. Will have strong LORs from PD, GI chief and hospitalist.
What should I do to increase my chances?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
if you search the forum the list is on here

Complied a list of programs offering non-ACGME fellowships.
It's limited by gaps and is not all-inclusive, but a place to start.
Hope this helps everyone this season.

University of California (San Diego) Medical Center Program
UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center Program
Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford University Program
University of Colorado Program
MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program
University of Chicago
Loyola University Medical Center Program
University of Kentucky COM
Johns Hopkins University
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston University Medical Center
University of Missouri-Columbia Program
University of Nebraska COM
NYP (Cornell)
NYP (Columbia)
Wake Forest University SOM
Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program
Ohio State University Hospital Program
Geisinger Health System
Temple University Hospital Program
Allegheny Health Network Medical Education Consortium (AGH) Program
UPMC Medical Education Program
University of Tennessee Program
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program
University of Texas SW Medical Center Program
University of Utah Health Program
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program
Virginia Mason
West Virginia University Program

Reactions: 2 users
IMG- Visa required- 263,261,254-13 publucations(2 meta analysis as second author, 1 retrospective analysis as second author, 5 case reports 1st author, 2 case reports as second author, 1 review article 1st author, 2 abstracts at ddw). Current PGY-3 in a mid tier University Program with in house fellowship. Will have strong LORs from PD, GI chief and hospitalist.
What should I do to increase my chances?
Nothing : apply broadly and widely -- welcome to GI

Complied a list of programs offering non-ACGME fellowships.
It's limited by gaps and is not all-inclusive, but a place to start.
Hope this helps everyone this season.

University of California (San Diego) Medical Center Program
UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center Program
Stanford Health Care-Sponsored Stanford University Program
University of Colorado Program
MedStar Health/Georgetown University Hospital Program
University of Chicago
Loyola University Medical Center Program
University of Kentucky COM
Johns Hopkins University
Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston University Medical Center
University of Missouri-Columbia Program
University of Nebraska COM
NYP (Cornell)
NYP (Columbia)
Wake Forest University SOM
Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program
Cleveland Clinic Foundation Program
Ohio State University Hospital Program
Geisinger Health System
Temple University Hospital Program
Allegheny Health Network Medical Education Consortium (AGH) Program
UPMC Medical Education Program
University of Tennessee Program
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Program
University of Texas SW Medical Center Program
University of Utah Health Program
Virginia Commonwealth University Health System Program
Virginia Mason
West Virginia University Program
Please ADD Rutgers and Baylor

Not that great, you need strong LORs 2 at least from GI and you need research or publications in Pancrease, Liver, Colorectal and if your home program has a Fellowship get a LOR from a known GI faculty who has a connection in the various programs.

Hey @Serotonin28

Just echoing what everyone else (besides shishi) said here - I got plenty of interviews and matched high on my list with essentially the same stats down to program pedigree, scores, pubs/posters. :thumbup:

US IMG - No chief year.
Mid tier program w/ in-house GI fellowship.

Step 1 - 248
Step 2 CK - 246
Step 3 - 242

Publications - 7 abstracts (mostly 2nd and 3rd author ACG/DDW/AASLD), 2 abstracts ESC, 1 abstract IDWee; 2 retrospective studies/manuscripts (1st author on one and 2nd author on the other - both pubmed indexed), 1 case report (first author). Manuscript submitted and under review (3rd author).
Submitted 8 abstracts to ACG (not sure if it matters at this point).
LoRs - IM PD, GI PD, 1 academic GI, and 1 academic IM.

What are my chances? If low, what can I do to improve my application for 2022-2023 cycle?

US IMG - No chief year.

Step 1 - 248
Step 2 CK - 246
Step 3 - 242

Publications - 7 abstracts (mostly 2nd and 3rd author ACG/DDW/AASLD), 2 abstracts ESC, 1 abstract IDWee; 2 retrospective studies/manuscripts (1st author on one and 2nd author on the other - both pubmed indexed), 1 case report (first author). Manuscript submitted and under review (3rd author).

What are my chances? If low, what can I do to improve my application for 2022-2023 cycle?
Scores are good but average. Research is decent. Chances are best at home program, depending on your perceived image there, and elsewhere based on the quality of your letters/clout of your letter writers. Anticipate mostly regional interviews.

US IMG - No chief year.

Step 1 - 248
Step 2 CK - 246
Step 3 - 242

You need more research, apply to all programs you can, I agree the best chance is at home program, regional IV will be the most so apply to all.

what you can do to improve your chances for next cycle, is do chief year, be as active as you can be and have mentors in various programs.

Join the societies, and see what you can do for them.

But again, remember this concept, if the home program does not take you, seek out to see why ??

US IMG - applied last year did not match (applied late)
Step 1 258
Step 2 263
Step 3 244
Residency Program: community hospital, university affiliated, converting to full academic this year
MSc Degree
Publications: 13 abstracts/Poster presentation (2 ACP awards), 8 manuscript, 3 book chapters; worked on mutliple QI/research projects/trials that are ongoing not published as of yet.

US IMG - applied last year did not match (applied late)
Step 1 258
Step 2 263
Step 3 244
Residency Program: community hospital, university affiliated, converting to full academic this year
MSc Degree
Publications: 13 abstracts/Poster presentation (2 ACP awards), 8 manuscript, 3 book chapters; worked on mutliple QI/research projects/trials that are ongoing not published as of yet.
It is crazy how someone with stats like yours would not match even if you applied late

Members don't see this ad :)
It's that time of the year.
Everyone getting everything ready for submission. It is going to be a good year.
Lots of new programs to apply to (WV Marshall University is one of them).

For people applying this year, you can post your scores, publications, cred... and ask any questions.

Format, please.

AMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

US-IMG - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
- Questions You have

IMG-Visa - [Score]-[Publication and cred..]-[#applications]-[#interviews]
-Questions you have

I have posted my experience in the old thread. But if you have questions ask away. Always here to help, I wish everyone the best.
IMG- J1 visa
Step 1 : 26x , Step 2: 24x , Step 3: 22x
Mid tier university hospital with inhouse GI
Letters : 1 PD , 1GI current chief , 1 former GI chief , 1 from Research GI mentor at CCF .
Publications:
-12 Abstracts/Poster
-34 Pubmed indexed Pubs: 3 metanalysis first author , 2 systematic review (2nd author), 1 retrospective study (1st author) , 12 case reports (1st author) , 15 review articles (1st and 2nd ) , 1 book chapter (1st author).
-Initiated prospective study , date of completion 2023

What do i need to do to increase my chances. First time applying.

Last edited:
IMG- J1 visa
Step 1 : 26x , Step 2: 24x , Step 3: 22x
Mid tier university hospital with inhouse GI
Letters : 1 PD , 1GI current chief , 1 former GI chief , 1 from Research GI mentor at CCF .
Publications:
-12 Abstracts/Poster
-34 Pubmed indexed Pubs: 3 metanalysis first author , 2 systematic review (2nd author), 1 retrospective study (1st author) , 12 case reports (1st author) , 15 review articles (1st and 2nd ) , 1 book chapter (1st author).
-Initiated prospective study , date of completion 2023

What do i need to do to increase my chances. First time applying.
all you need to do is to apply. You will definitely match with stats like that

Submitting July 7 vs July 20, Any difference?

Those who has matched previously after completing a 1 year Hepatology/Motility/Chief Year-- did you notice your number of interviews/programs interest increase significantly after that transitional year compared to the first time you applied? @ShiShiMD

Those who has matched previously after completing a 1 year Hepatology/Motility/Chief Year-- did you notice your number of interviews/programs interest increase significantly after that transitional year compared to the first time you applied? @ShiShiMD

I never did any extra/transition/ advance year.

But from my research and people I know, 9/12 got matched in the year and 2/4 got matched after completing it.

Hep years helps a lot.

Motility also

Chief it all depends on the home program

I’ve heard from fellows that some programs WILL be offering the option of in-person interviews instead of strictly 100% virtual only for everyone. Anyone have insight on this?

- AMG - Mid-tier IM
- No chief year
- STEPs 230s, CS pass, all first attempt
- 9 total publications (one retrospective study though not first author and rest are first author abstracts)
- Three study projects pending (two GI QI and one non GI) all first author

How broadly should I apply numbers-wise? Or should I not apply this year and try to get more research done then apply next year?

For abstracts submitted to national conferences (such as ACG) , but not yet accepted, should they be listed under peer reviewed publications (submitted), poster presentations, or not at all? My first instinct was to not include them, however, I have been told by a few of my classmates that I should as they have included them as well. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

- AMG - Mid-tier IM
- No chief year
- STEPs 230s, CS pass, all first attempt
- 9 total publications (one retrospective study though not first author and rest are first author abstracts)
- Three study projects pending (two GI QI and one non GI) all first author

How broadly should I apply numbers-wise? Or should I not apply this year and try to get more research done then apply next year?
Apply very broadly and try to get started on a new research as well. Have a back up plan also

For abstracts submitted to national conferences (such as ACG) , but not yet accepted, should they be listed under peer reviewed publications (submitted), poster presentations, or not at all? My first instinct was to not include them, however, I have been told by a few of my classmates that I should as they have included them as well. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Include them write in the end (SUBMITTED)

I’ve heard from fellows that some programs WILL be offering the option of in-person interviews instead of strictly 100% virtual only for everyone. Anyone have insight on this?
it should be virtual but some programs will invite in person

Is there a list of programs requiring a separate application package?

Is130s programs broad enough?
You may need to double the number of applications to a minimum of 260 programs. And if you want to have a fighting chance at getting in, make sure you have cured at least one form of gastrointestinal/hepatobiliary cancer before submitting your application.

You may need to double the number of applications to a minimum of 260 programs. And if you want to have a fighting chance at getting in, make sure you have cured at least one form of gastrointestinal/hepatobiliary cancer before submitting your application.
These days its usually two cancers tbh to really be competitive and get into one of their first 75 choices.

These days its usually two cancers tbh to really be competitive and get into one of their first 75 choices.
lol. This is depressing. I get the hyperbole but hepatology is my backup plan.

lol. This is depressing. I get the hyperbole but hepatology is my backup plan.

I am sorry my friend, it can seem daunting until your in. If you attend the 'what do I do to match GI' lectures etc and it will sound impossible. Usually 30% to 1st choice, 50% to one of their top 3. Take heart in the stats though- 85% of US grads matched, usually a little better than a coin toss for the foreign grads. Depressing, but still very achievable. Its a process, play it right and it usually works out.

I am sorry my friend, it can seem daunting until your in. If you attend the 'what do I do to match GI' lectures etc and it will sound impossible. Usually 30% to 1st choice, 50% to one of their top 3. Take heart in the stats though- 85% of US grads matched, usually a little better than a coin toss for the foreign grads. Depressing, but still very achievable. Its a process, play it right and it usually works out.
Thank you for the kind words! I'm going to apply to ~145-150 programs (excluding top 20 because it'd be a waste of money). I attended the ACG virtual rounds in 5/2021 on "applying to GI", and PDs from Allegheny, Mayo, NYU, and Indiana made it seem like they review all applications without filters (except for visa in programs that don't sponsor), but in reality, those filters exist, whether scores, regional bias, research, or training program. Gotta play the game right as you said. I know quite a few people who matched after doing hepatology year, albeit community programs. That would probably plan B. Thanks again!

Long time lurker here. How much do submitted and accepted papers/projects (that are not yet published) matter when applying? Are they given any weight? If so, how much?

Thank you for the kind words! I'm going to apply to ~145-150 programs (excluding top 20 because it'd be a waste of money). I attended the ACG virtual rounds in 5/2021 on "applying to GI", and PDs from Allegheny, Mayo, NYU, and Indiana made it seem like they review all applications without filters (except for visa in programs that don't sponsor), but in reality, those filters exist, whether scores, regional bias, research, or training program. Gotta play the game right as you said. I know quite a few people who matched after doing hepatology year, albeit community programs. That would probably plan B. Thanks again!

I'm sure they 'review' the initial apps without filters, but when whittling down thousands to the few dozens you're interviewing is where they apply their own, non ERAS 'filters' when most are similar on paper. In fellowship, they are looking much more closely at your overall application, geography, connections, niche, faculty/ research potential than in residency- many of these things are totally out of your control. But remember, to get to this stage you have cleared an identical process at least once before, and you will likely again.

So if you can't register for the NRMP until after you submit applications how are the two linked?

I know there may be no definite correct answer, but how should we put in abstract/poster/publication? I have a problem with I submitted an abstract and presented it as a poster, and later got published in a journal. If put it in, the peer-reviewed article and abstract will show up twice with similar information. And it will show up again in the poster presentation part. I don't know whether this is correct? Will it dilute the real publication though. Any input?
Thank you very much.

I know there may be no definite correct answer, but how should we put in abstract/poster/publication? I have a problem with I submitted an abstract and presented it as a poster, and later got published in a journal. If put it in, the peer-reviewed article and abstract will show up twice with similar information. And it will show up again in the poster presentation part. I don't know whether this is correct? Will it dilute the real publication though. Any input?
Thank you very much.
just put the pub. it's worth way more. you can elaborate about it more, including its journey from abstract -> poster -> pub, on interview day.

just put the pub. it's worth way more. you can elaborate about it more, including its journey from abstract -> poster -> pub, on interview day.
This is confusing to me. If an abstract accepted as a poster at a conference (ie. ACG/DDW) then gets published in the journal's supplemental, I should put it as a publication not poster presentation?

Sorry I know it's symmantics, but just reading the thread it seems like people are doing that. I thought poster published in supplemental is not the same as publication.

This is confusing to me. If an abstract accepted as a poster at a conference (ie. ACG/DDW) then gets published in the journal's supplemental, I should put it as a publication not poster presentation?

Sorry I know it's symmantics, but just reading the thread it seems like people are doing that. I thought poster published in supplemental is not the same as publication.

not sure why it's confusing. at the end of the day, any applicant can choose to do what he/she wishes. the majority, if not all, of program admin know that a "publication" in 'XYZ journal supplement' is a poster/oral presentation.
with that knowledge, if the applicant still wants to list it as a separate "publication", then that's his/her prerogative.

not sure why it's confusing. at the end of the day, any applicant can choose to do what he/she wishes. the majority, if not all, of program admin know that a "publication" in 'XYZ journal supplement' is a poster/oral presentation.
with that knowledge, if the applicant still wants to list it as a separate "publication", then that's his/her prerogative.
Very true, but I do believe that most faculty skim CVs a lot more than looking that much into what is what from my interactions. It may matter in that sense.

I'll stick with posters, most honest.

Happy to answer questions for those applying!
Thank you for offering to help! Any advice on emailing PDs after the application is submitted? When is the best time to email? How effective is it? How long should the email be and what to focus on? Should personal things be mentioned like ties to the area, etc..?

How much of a death sentence is it to have letters come in a little bit later? My application is ready to go but despite being persistent I had two letter writers drag their feet a bit and submit on July 18 and 19. Obviously processing can take up to 5 business days. I plan on assigning them as soon as they are processed, but what are the chances they trash my app early just because I don't have 4 letters assigned tomorrow at 8 AM?

Good luck to everyone who is applying this year. I hope we all match. :)

Reactions: 3 users
MSPE delayed and still processing per EFDO. Should I still go ahead and turn in my applications or do you think that without the MSPE the application will be trashed?

I wonder if PD are equally as excited for 9AM?