Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for doing this. Do you think we can add sections for MD/DO, program tier (T20, mid academic, community, etc.), and Total # of publications? This may help put things into context
Sure, added them in.

Members don't see this ad.

Stressing right now with all of you--anyone heard from BWH/BIDMC/Cornell/Columbia/JHH??

They sure are taking their sweet time sending out invitations...

Members don't see this ad :)
Stressing right now with all of you--anyone heard from BWH/BIDMC/Cornell/Columbia/JHH??

They sure are taking their sweet time sending out invitations...
Havent heard anyone getting invites from any of these..

Same. Not like last time I did this. Had 3 by this time around then. May be things are slower this year?
Let's not forget that last year apps were due mid-August but the interview season and rank list due dates were the same. It was a much tighter turnaround required.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to create a whatsapp group, let me know if anyone else interested. We can keep the same Google doc for updates

Reactions: 4 users
Baylor sent an email on 8/5 that they will be taking a couple more weeks to review applications. Mt. Sinai's PD said the same thing on 8/4 - he said they read every single application and personal statement, have no filters, so it takes time.

I would like to create a whatsapp group, let me know if anyone else interested. We can keep the same Google doc for updates
I am up for it. Have you created one already? If not I can make one and share a link here for others to join.

Members don't see this ad :)
Baylor sent an email on 8/5 that they will be taking a couple more weeks to review applications. Mt. Sinai's PD said the same thing on 8/4 - he said they read every single application and personal statement, have no filters, so it takes time.
question — did mt sinai send that in an email ? I know a couple ppl who emailed their PD and did not receive a reply back 😌

question — did mt sinai send that in an email ? I know a couple ppl who emailed their PD and did not receive a reply back 😌
I emailed the PD about newly accepted projects and he responded positively. I’m at a T20 program, ~15 publications including first author manuscripts, AMG, but 0 interviews still. Looking at West/East coast big academic centers

I've been peeking in other subspecialty threads (Cards, Pulm/Crit, Heme/Onc) and they too are feeling the radio silence. So it's not just us ...

Mt. Sinai department of medicine had a diversity and inclusion event on 8/4 and the PD was there and said it to everyone

Mt. Sinai department of medicine had a diversity and inclusion event on 8/4 and the PD was there and said it to everyone
Itzkowitz was referring to email sent to internal applicants (who are interviewed separately )... I think first round of emails for external applicants might be next week or later...By labor day they ll still have applications to review..they interview till mid october..they are one program that manually read all applicants and apply bare minimum filters..

anyone with zero invites? cant shake this disconcerting feeling.

anyone with zero invites? cant shake this disconcerting feeling.
Feeling like there’s a red flag in my application or something at this point … also thinking about applying for backup hospitalist jobs

Does anyone know how long the GI interviews typically take? 8-12?

Harrowing to have none, especially seeing some places I was hoping for.

I feel like all invites are going to the same cohort of people who probably have a few each by now. While some of us are struggling to get any. Does everyone think it’s still too soon to worry?

Still very very early. You all need to relax. most programs haven't sent out anything yet. There are some folks who have alot of interviews simply from applying to many places, but the vast majority of people here have only 1 or zero interviews and that is normal. Give until end of august from what I"ve heard and most should have a few IV by then.

hey is that Columbia interview invite real? I haven't heard anyone else get one. only asking so we can track which programs to reach out to via email if they've already sent out their invites

Currently trying to keep myself distracted while interview invites roll in for other people, and my inbox remains silent... What's everyone doing these days? Any TV show recommendations?

Rejections from UC DAVIS and Mayo Clinic, Rochester. And acknowledgement from Baylor that they have received the application.

Rejections from UC DAVIS and Mayo Clinic, Rochester. And acknowledgement from Baylor that they have received the application.
Was the UC Davis one in response to an interest email or did they send on their own?

Do programs like Yale, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc. send further invites later in the month or are they done?

Based on this interview thread from last year, many programs send out another round of interviews. Take it with a grain of salt since COVID was flaring at the time, but it's early enough to still have hope:

AMG:
8/14: Mayo Jacksonville
8/18: UC Davis, URochester, Vanderbilt
8/19: U of Vermont, Temple, UVA
8/20: VCU
8/21: Rutgers RWJ, Boston U, Univ Southern Alabama
8/23: The Ohio State
8/24: UCSD, Cincinnati, Missouri-Columbia, LSU, UColorado
8/25: Duke, Brigham, MGH, Beth Israel Deaconess, WashU, Lankenau, Indiana University
8/26: WashU, Yale, UNC, UMaryland, University of Washington
8/27: Mayo Rochester, UNebraska, UChicago, Yale, UMichigan, Dartmouth
8/28: Oregon, Henry Ford, Lankenau, Medical College Wisconsin, UAB, Kaiser LA, California Pacific Health Center, U Arizona-Phoenix, Carolinas, Brigham, Cleveland Clinic-Florida, West Virginia
8/31: Henry Ford, Brown, Methodist Dallas, UT-RGV, UCSF, Tufts, Baylor Houston
9/1: UTSW, Georgetown, Cedars-Sinai, Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UPitt, Cornell, USF, Loma Linda, Lahey Clinic, Duke, Westchester
9/2: UCLA, Northwestern, Emory, Case Western-MetroHealth, Texas Tech-El Paso
9/3: Cleveland Clinic-Ohio, UPitt, Columbia, Yale, Mount Sinai (Icahn)
9/4: Albert Einstein Philly, Hofstra/Northwell (Northshore/LIJ), UWisconsin, Hopkins
9/7: NYU
9/8: Albany, UTMB, UPitt, Baylor Dallas, Case Western-UH, UF-Gainesville, Einstein-Philadelphia, Columbia, UMass
9/9: UPenn, Loyola, Einstein-Philadelphia, UT-San Antonio, Kaiser SF, Scripps, Tulane, SC-Greenville, UMiami
9/10: Columbia, Memorial Sloan Kettering, UMichigan, Tufts, Northwestern
9/11: Stanford, Johns Hopkins, UConnecticut, MUSC
9/12: Wake Forest
9/14: UMinnesota, Allegheny, UMiami, UPenn, USC, Baylor-Temple, UC Irvine, UT-Houston, Utah, GWU
9/15: Rutgers-NJMS, Medical College Georgia, Lehigh Valley
9/16: UPenn, UIllinois Chicago, UMississippi, UC Irvine, Creighton-Omaha
9/17: UArkansas, Brown, Stony Brook, Northshore, Ascension Genesys, UPenn
9/18: Buffalo, Wright State, Rush, Oklahoma, UNLV, Cook County
9/20: UCSF Fresno
9/22: New Mexico
9/23: Hofstra-Lenox Hill, Ascension Providence, Mt. Sinai-Beth Israel
9/24: Hofstra-Lenox Hill, Saint Louis
9/27: NYU
9/28: UKentucky, SUNY Brooklyn, Rowan
9/29: NYP-Queens
9/30: Loyola, The Ohio State, St. Luke's Univ, Louisville, Howard, UKansas
10/1: Baylor Houston
10/2: Maimonides
10/5: Beth Israel Deaconess

IMG requiring Visa:
8/13: VCU
8/19: UF Jacksonville
8/20: St. Luke's Hospital, University of Iowa
8/23: Ohio State
8/25: Baystate, Indiana University
8/26: WashU
8/27: Mayo Rochester, UMaryland, UNebraska
8/28: UAB, Medical College Wisconsin, Cleveland Clinic Florida, U of Arizona-Phoenix, Creighton-Phoenix
8/31: Baylor Houston
9/2: UConn, Emory
9/3: Coney Island
9/8: St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, UTMB, Case Western-UH, UF-Gainesville
9/9: Loyola
9/11: UT-Houston
9/12: SC-Greenville
9/14: Allegheny, U Minnesota
9/16: Creighton-Omaha, UIllinois Chicago
9/18: Buffalo
9/23: Ascension Providence
9/28: UKentucky
9/30: Louisville

IMG without visa:
8/28: Cleveland Clinic Florida
8/31: Creighton-Phoenix
9/1: Cornell, Georgetown, Baylor Houston
9/8: UT-RGV, UMaryland-Mercy, UMass
9/9: St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, Loyola, Einstein-Philadelphia, Columbia, Tulane
9/11: MUSC
9/16: UMassachusetts
9/17: UArkansas
9/18: Cook County, Montefiore, Rush

Rejections:
8/19: UC Davis (IMG)
8/20: URochester (AMG and IMG)
8/27: Mayo Rochester (AMG)
9/5: UChicago (AMG and IMG)
9/7: University of Washington (AMG and IMG)
9/9: University of Missouri (AMG and IMG)
9/10: Tufts (AMG and IMG)
9/10: Northwestern (AMG and IMG)
9/11: BIDMC (AMG)
9/14: Allegheny (AMG)
9/15: UT-San Antonio (AMG and IMG)
9/15: Vanderbilt (AMG and IMG)
9/16: UMass-Baystate (AMG and IMG)
9/17: UWashington (IMG), Mt. Sinai (AMG)
9/18: WVU (AMG and IMG), Georgetown (AMG), Mt. Sinai (AMG and IMG)
9/22: Aurora Health (IMG), UCLA (AMG and IMG)
9/23: Mayo-Phoenix (AMG)
9/28 Univ of Kentucky (IMG), Cleveland Clinic-Florida (AMG)
9/29: Cleveland Clinic-Florida (AMG)
10/1: UMassachusetts (AMG and IMG), Kaiser LA (AMG)
10/2: Rush (AMG)

Reactions: 2 users
Trying to grasp where I have gone wrong... Nothing so far. I find it hard to believe that CS fail explains lack of IVs, especially as I got many last application.

AMG - 245/236/230 failed CS first attempt, passed second (ghosts of the past).

Middle-tier residency. Hospitalist working at major academic/GI center for a year before applying, including teaching residents/med students.

10 pubs, 7 GI and of those 3 of them FA (1 of these case report, others research). 4 others pending at time of application.

4 orals at acg/ddw, 2 of them plenaries, multiple other orals as coauthor

16 posters as FA at acg/ddw, about double overall as and have been on several other orals as an author.

3 GI letters, 1 nationally known, and my PD

Last edited:
Trying to grasp where I have gone wrong... Nothing so far. I find it hard to believe that CS fail explains lack of IVs, especially as I got many last application.

Middle-tier residency. Hospitalist working at major academic/GI center for a year before applying, including teaching residents/med students.

10 pubs, 7 GI and of those 3 of them FA (1 of these case report, others research). 4 others pending at time of application.

16 posters as FA at acg/ddw, about double overall as and have been on several other orals as an author.

still super early mate

Any DO's with any interviews? Seems like all my MD colleagues have gotten some, AMG or IMG. Nothing for any of my DO mates

Reactions: 1 users
Currently sitting at 1 and it is my home program. Are the rest of you swimming in interviews? I'm not sure if this is just the nature of the beast.

Currently sitting at 1 and it is my home program. Are the rest of you swimming in interviews? I'm not sure if this is just the nature of the beast.
Same here… definitely stressing out. All of the fellows and attendings around me are saying it is still early and to not panic until September. Just trying to stay hopeful at this time!

Any DO's with any interviews? Seems like all my MD colleagues have gotten some, AMG or IMG. Nothing for any of my DO mates
Same here, big ole goose egg. Second time around with an improved application and crickets

programs do take step attempts seriously. you need serious contacts to get over that blip