Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if PD are equally as excited for 9AM?
From the little I have seen being on the other side for a competitive residency, not as much. Been hearing a lot of groans about having to read hundreds of personal statements over the next weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at last years thread, interviews might start rolling in this week.

Is getting a google sheet going a good idea?

or

listing program invites by:
AMG
Non-US IMG
US IMG

IMG - Green card. community hospital.
Step 1 -235, CK-237, step 3- 228, CS- pass
doing 4th year Chief Residency
LOR- not big names but should be strong- 2 GI attending, 1 Internal medicine PD, 1 from GME/ DIO attending internal medicine
have internal GI fellowship but no preference for internal candidates.
15 poster presentation including 8 at ACG,19 paper but mostly case reports.
was a big disappointment last year. hoping for the best this year.
applying broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,
Just want to double check. What programs require supplemental apps? I know these do:
1. Stanford, due July 23rd
2. Hopkins, due date?
Any other programs? and when is it due for Hopkins?
Thank you!

Thank you for offering to help! Any advice on emailing PDs after the application is submitted? When is the best time to email? How effective is it? How long should the email be and what to focus on? Should personal things be mentioned like ties to the area, etc..?
1. obviously program dependent, but I think its way to early to send out emails to PD, would wait until end of August
2. I actually thing its pretty effective, would only do for a few programs, I think the number one reason would to be explain your ties to the area, or any specific reason why you like the program (IE they are a motility center, and thats your research). I think ERAS doesn't always convey geographical ties well and sending an email helps cement any local ties (helped for me); also asking mentors to reach out is important

Hey everyone

I applied last cycle and had 12 interviews. Unfortunately did not match.
Reapplied this year. What are your thoughts in emailing programs I interviewed at last year and letting them know I reapplied?
Thanks and good luck to everyone

Hey everyone

Reapplied this year. What are your thoughts in emailing programs I interviewed at last year and letting them know I reapplied?
I have had a couple of people I interviewed with last time who I connected with asking me to forward them my application. I think it's definitely worth a shot. After all, you were good enough last time?

I have had a couple of people I interviewed with last time who I connected with asking me to forward them my application. I think it's definitely worth a shot. After all, you were good enough last time?
Cool, thanks! So did you reach out to them this early?

Good luck to everyone applying.
I applied very broadly and have yet to hear anything from any programs (not even an acknowledgement of application or when reviews will be done)
Meanwhile I have friends applying to other IM sub-specialities who have either gotten emails (like Cards) or interviews (PCCM). I had to go double-check my ERAS to make sure my application actually went through.
Might be a good time to start a PPI! :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
1. obviously program dependent, but I think its way to early to send out emails to PD, would wait until end of August
2. I actually thing its pretty effective, would only do for a few programs, I think the number one reason would to be explain your ties to the area, or any specific reason why you like the program (IE they are a motility center, and thats your research). I think ERAS doesn't always convey geographical ties well and sending an email helps cement any local ties (helped for me); also asking mentors to reach out is important
Thanks a lot! Will locate a few programs and send out emails toward the end of August as you suggested.

Someone should make a excel sheet with interviews granted and dates etc..

Cool, thanks! So did you reach out to them this early?
I have emailed those I have personally worked with and asked my mentors to email those that they know. I already asked fellows who I worked with as med students/residents bring up my app (if that means anything).

I was very passive last round and was lucky to get a good number of interviews, but not lucky enough to match. I figure there is no loss to being more aggressive this time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone

Hey, just out of curiosity as a first time applicant, did you interview and rank 12 programs or did you not rank a few because of fit/did not ultimately want to end up there?

Hey, just out of curiosity as a first time applicant, did you interview and rank 12 programs or did you not rank a few because of fit/did not ultimately want to end up there?
I interviewed and ranked all 12 -- I am not sure what happened last year, but hoping for a better outcome this year!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! My credentials are as follows:
Non-US IMG/need J1
I completed my residency at a university affiliated community program and now doing a hepatology year.
Scores: 245/236/pass, all first attempt
Research: 51 posters at DDW and ACG (35 as first author), 1 oral presentation at DDW as first author, 11 publications (8 as first author, including good journals like Gastro and Red).
I have applied pretty broadly and have no geographical ties. What are my chances? Any comments/help greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Hi! My credentials are as follows:
Non-US IMG/need J1
I completed my residency at a university affiliated community program and now doing a hepatology year.
Scores: 245/236/pass, all first attempt
Research: 51 posters at DDW and ACG (35 as first author), 1 oral presentation at DDW as first author, 11 publications (8 as first author, including good journals like Gastro and Red).
I have applied pretty broadly and have no geographical ties. What are my chances? Any comments/help greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Do you mind sharing why a hepatology year? Was it out of interest or you did not match last time? Because your research background is great unless this was all during hepatology year

Format for IV:

AMG:
- List program and date

IMG-No Visa:
- List program and date

IMG-Visa:
-List program and date

Rejection:
Program and Date

Best wishes for all

Do you mind sharing why a hepatology year? Was it out of interest or you did not match last time? Because your research background is great unless this was all during hepatology year
Hepatology year because I did published most of this in my third year of residency. I did have posters from before but no real publications. I didn’t think I would match.

I wanted to come on here and speak for all the people in the back who never post. Can we all take a second here to agree that these forums are kind of the worst? Why are we all coming here to have some rando on the internet rate our chances of getting into a program like it’s some voodoo fortune teller trying to predict the future? Why would anyone else on here know any better LOL?

Trust yourself, trust your gut, you made it this far already, what will be will be. Lots of programs have holistic views—if it was always about competing on scores and pubs, they would’ve had a robot pick out all the candidates. Everyone’s looking for good doctors and good people at the end of the day. Practical thinking here.

Reactions: 2 users
I wanted to come on here and speak for all the people in the back who never post. Can we all take a second here to agree that these forums are kind of the worst? Why are we all coming here to have some rando on the internet rate our chances of getting into a program like it’s some voodoo fortune teller trying to predict the future? Why would anyone else on here know any better LOL?

Trust yourself, trust your gut, you made it this far already, what will be will be. Lots of programs have holistic views—if it was always about competing on scores and pubs, they would’ve had a robot pick out all the candidates. Everyone’s looking for good doctors and good people at the end of the day. Practical thinking here.
Not a bad statement, but I feel there is a lot more underneath to this process and I appreciate the insight from those here who have already done it. I agree speaking to faculty board scores are cut offs and not much else.

SDN is great for knowing when interviews come out and swapping dates (did that last time).

Does anyone know when to really start expecting interview invites? I feel like a few places have stated interview invites will go out in early August. However, looking at prior years, should we be expecting a few invites this week?

Does anyone know when to really start expecting interview invites? I feel like a few places have stated interview invites will go out in early August. However, looking at prior years, should we be expecting a few invites this week?
most likely 2 week of august, last year was delayed, but thats when i got mine mostly late august though september

It's only been a few days, but every time I get a push notification from Gmail my heart leaps and I'm soon disappointed :rofl:

Reactions: 4 users
Interview invitation sent by Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center this evening 7/28.

Reactions: 4 users
Rank every program you interview at. We are used to IM where there’s like 20-50 spots. In GI it’s 2-6 per program so it’s very easily to slip down 10 programs in your rank list.

Dont take chances and rank every program. Aside from the optimism we see and hear from others, I know AMGs from well respected programs who didn’t match last year. They won’t be so relaxed about it this year and literally are applying to 90-100 programs and you betcha they will hog interviews out of desperation this year. So rank every program unless it has severe deficiencies (lack of cases etc).

Hi Everyone, does anyone know what the process is for those supplemental apps?
I only see two programs requiring it (Standford/JH). Is it consequential not having this done, has anyone been offered an interview without the supplements?

I only see two programs requiring it (Standford/JH). Is it consequential not having this done, has anyone been offered an interview without the supplements?
I have friends from medical school who are internal at both programs. Neither has offered interviews to even internal applicants. Just a waiting game for all of us...

From what I remember from applying last year, the places that had a secondary app sent it with the interview invite.

For Hopkins, you need to request it per ERAS. For Stanford, you should have received an email requesting that you complete it, I believe it was due last week.

Interview invitation sent by Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center this evening 7/28.

AMG:
- List program and date

IMG-No Visa:
- List program and date

IMG-Visa:
-List program and date

Rejection:
Program and Date

Rank every program you interview at. We are used to IM where there’s like 20-50 spots. In GI it’s 2-6 per program so it’s very easily to slip down 10 programs in your rank list.

Dont take chances and rank every program. Aside from the optimism we see and hear from others, I know AMGs from well respected programs who didn’t match last year. They won’t be so relaxed about it this year and literally are applying to 90-100 programs and you betcha they will hog interviews out of desperation this year. So rank every program unless it has severe deficiencies (lack of cases etc).
Oh, no doubt. I am not the kind of applicant that will be able to afford to pick and choose all that much. As they say, beggars can't be choosers. I was just curious about that individual situation. Thanks for the advice though. I definitely see this year having a increase in amount of total applicants.

can someone make a google docs excel spreadsheet like the cardiology team has done?

who is to say a robot is not picking candidates ?

I got acknowledgment of application/review from UCLA today..... may the odds ever be in our favor

Last edited:
It is too early in the season to start worrying. Most programs would start sending invites in August is what I am getting.

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. Just waiting for the Olympic Gold Medalists to update their apps first so we can send their invites.

Sincerely,

ERAS

PS Silver medalists applicants will automatically be sent to sent to Cardiology instead.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Massachusetts General and Duke have both sent out invitations to my colleagues

Reactions: 2 users
Starting to stress out a bit. There is just complete silence in my inbox.

Starting to stress out a bit. There is just complete silence in my inbox.
You're not alone. I remember at least having acknowledgements thats my app was being reviewed or something. This silence is killer