Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're saying this with ~50 programs having not sent out any interview invites. You shouldn't be sounding off about something when you're not informed. Last year there were interview invites going out until beginning of October.
Well that was just my personal opinion, and i do hope that I am wrong and we get more interviews. Again, hoping for the best. It's just a bit weird that programs would have not sent out interviews by this time...and I thought that maybe some people from smaller programs are simply not filling the excel sheet, which is why some programs look like they have not sent out interviews by this point. Last year they did send out interviews later, but application deadline was later too.

Hoping for the best, and wishing everyone for more interviews (including me).

Reactions: 1 user
Well that was just my personal opinion, and i do hope that I am wrong and we get more interviews. Again, hoping for the best. It's just a bit weird that programs would have not sent out interviews by this time...and I thought that maybe some people from smaller programs are simply not filling the excel sheet, which is why some programs look like they have not sent out interviews by this point. Last year they did send out interviews later, but application deadline was later too.

Hoping for the best, and wishing everyone for more interviews (including me).
I share your opinion. It does seem hard to believe there any many programs who have not yet sent interview invites. I also do not fully trust that spreadsheet to accurately reflect which programs have/haven't sent invites. But like you I would love to be wrong and to have a flood of invites for us all next week!

What were the application deadlines like last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from NYU about the interview itinerary or any other information?

Wondering if there is any chance someone can swap their Loyola 10/2 interview with my 10/9. Thank you!

Hi Everyone! Looking for some input on my chances of matching. I'm a non US IMG (On green card). passed residency in 2018. Currently academic hospitalist. planning to apply in 2022. Step1 236/99 (in 2007), step 2 256, Step3 228. CS passed-first attempt. Residency from a large community hospital which has inhouse fellowship but would not apply due to family commitments. Restricted to Boston and Rhode island. I've > 50 original manuscripts, 15-20 in GI (>10 as the first author), few posters in DDW, some reviews and very few meta analyses.

Has anyone heard from SLU about their interview day itinerary? Interview on 9/23 and they have not yet sent what time it starts

Anybody interviewed at Marshall already? I have an iv coming up this week and didn’t hear anything from the coordinator. It’s an in person interview.

Did anyone interview at Coney Island Hospital for a GI fellowship? Is it a match program or pre-match?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey anyone have any impressions about nyu interview? or cornell?

Anybody interviewed at Marshall already? I have an iv coming up this week and didn’t hear anything from the coordinator. It’s an in person interview.
Hi. Did you hear back from them? I am also in the same boat.

Did anyone interview at Coney Island Hospital for a GI fellowship? Is it a match program or pre-match?
I believe they're match, but the way they ended the interview with me, it seemed like they already had their candidates chosen

I share your opinion. It does seem hard to believe there any many programs who have not yet sent interview invites. I also do not fully trust that spreadsheet to accurately reflect which programs have/haven't sent invites. But like you I would love to be wrong and to have a flood of invites for us all next week!

What were the application deadlines like last year?

App deadline last year was basically a month later. I believe around August 12th looking at last year's thread. But rank list was still due around the same time as this year, and match day was the first week of December.

I can't imagine anyone doing interviews into November as there are only 2 full weeks before rank lists are due. I've even taken a chance and scheduled a vacation the week before ROL due date since I imagine programs have decided by then, and it's up to applicants to figure out what we want.

App deadline last year was basically a month later. I believe around August 12th looking at last year's thread. But rank list was still due around the same time as this year, and match day was the first week of December.

I can't imagine anyone doing interviews into November as there are only 2 full weeks before rank lists are due. I've even taken a chance and scheduled a vacation the week before ROL due date since I imagine programs have decided by then, and it's up to applicants to figure out what we want.

Thanks for the background on last year! Man that was a condensed schedule.

I have one interview scheduled on Nov 4th. I would have done it earlier but it was the last date available. It certainly feels very late in the game.

However, the fun hasn't stopped! I received an interview invitation on 9/23/21. It appears to be a first wave as well, so at least some programs were still offering into this week.

Hi guys - I have 2 interviews same day on Oct 6 - MSK and Westchester. Anyone interested in switching with dates for one of these please?

Hi guys - I have 2 interviews same day on Oct 6 - MSK and Westchester. Anyone interested in switching with dates for one of these please?
I would be interested in switching Westchester Interview. Text in the what's app group.

What are my chances of match with 3 interviews only ? I am an IMG on J1.
do you have in house? what are your chances there? Regardless of your situation, in house is probably the highest probability. That said, I saw an IMG on visa matched with 2 publications only this last cycle. anything is possible

Any insight into the U of Maryland program? And how does the whole Mercy track thing work? Are they separate programs? Do we rank then separately on ROL? Either of them better than the other? Would really appreciate some info.

Thanks for the background on last year! Man that was a condensed schedule.

I have one interview scheduled on Nov 4th. I would have done it earlier but it was the last date available. It certainly feels very late in the game.

However, the fun hasn't stopped! I received an interview invitation on 9/23/21. It appears to be a first wave as well, so at least some programs were still offering into this week.
I have 2 second week of November, sent out with other options but the others didn't work for me.

Last application my interviews ended the last week of October, so it definitely feels late to get these guys.

do you have in house? what are your chances there? Regardless of your situation, in house is probably the highest probability. That said, I saw an IMG on visa matched with 2 publications only this last cycle. anything is possible
Yes have in house but 1 year wait time. Hoping for the best!

Any insight into the U of Maryland program? And how does the whole Mercy track thing work? Are they separate programs? Do we rank then separately on ROL? Either of them better than the other? Would really appreciate some info.
3 different tracks: U Maryland, NIH, Mercy. Rank them separately on ROL. NIH better for clinical research. Uni of Maryland very strong clinically. Surprisingly, Mercy was impressive as well, on a great location, nice hospital, very impressive faculty (most graduates from programs like Hopkins that went to private practice, although this program looks like a hybrid academic-private practice). Hard to tell which one is 'better', it's subjective.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone have an interview from St. Peter’s in NJ, I need to change my date please

For those interviewing (or have interviewed) at the University of Arkansas, has anyone received the itinerary with the zoom link for the interview?

Can anyone confirm if University of Kansas sent out interviews?
I saw one post earlier that was not very clear if someone is joking and another post yesterday saying KU Wichita but Wichita does not have fellowship it is Kansas City that has one.

I saw one post earlier that was not very clear if someone is joking and another post yesterday saying KU Wichita but Wichita does not have fellowship it is Kansas City that has one.
wichita starting new one this year

For those interviewing (or have interviewed) at the University of Arkansas, has anyone received the itinerary with the zoom link for the interview?
Will be there on 10/8, have not heard about itinerary yet!

I have exactly the same question..

Hi Everyone! Looking for some input on my chances of matching. I'm a non US IMG (On green card). passed residency in 2018. Currently academic hospitalist. planning to apply in 2022. Step1 236/99 (in 2007), step 2 256, Step3 228. CS passed-first attempt. Residency from a large community hospital which has inhouse fellowship but would not apply due to family commitments. Restricted to Boston and Rhode island. I've > 50 original manuscripts, 15-20 in GI (>10 as the first author), few posters in DDW, some reviews and very few meta analyses.
you are talking one of the most competitive geographic area in one of the most competitive fields of medicine. your application in itself is solid and you would get x GI if you apply broadly. But if you are geographically restricted to any place , particularly if the place happens to be Boston,philly,nyc and bay area , your chances diminish..there ll be 30 people from harvard + brown/dartmouth/BU folks in the running. consequently even the community GI fellowships like Lahey have harvard residents in them... very similar in nyc where you ll find NYU folks end up in places like coney island or brooklyn methodist...my suggestion is to apply broadly and come back to new england as GI attending... within the area your best bets are u.mass/lahey/UMMS baystate /tufts ...

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any idea (if possible) about the number of programs needed to guarantee match?

They are done with interviews.

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some input from everyone on some of the questions that I had. I am an IMG on J1, and have luckily had 12 interviews which in my opinion, is a good number. That said I am still nervous given how competitive GI has become for IMGs in general. I am done with 8 interviews so far; the rest are scattered all the way upto 11/4.

My questions are:
1. I am worried that I will be too late in sending in letter of intent to my top choice program if I sit around waiting for all my interviews to be over. Some programs are already done with all interviews and may submit their rank lists soon. Should I email the first choice program now itself? I was also going to have my mentors call them but I am sure my mentors would want me to be done with all interviews first.

2. I have 2 different mentors - one clinical and another research. Can I have them call two different places? Like number 1 and number 2? The reason for doing that is because ultimately my goal is just to match, doesn’t matter where. I don’t want to risk putting all my eggs in one basket (that is if I put all my energy into calling no.1 and then none of the others bothered ranking me high enough because they thought I didn’t want to go there.

3. Lastly, this entire calling and mind games thing is very stressful. I just want to match. I wish programs just ranked based on who they liked and not based on who they thought actually wanted to come there. What if I kept it simple and just ranked my programs in order of my preference without having anyone call for me? Does that ever work for anyone in GI? Or is literally all about having somebody call for you? I just want to match, doesn’t matter if it’s number 12.

I would really appreciate all input. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

Is there any idea (if possible) about the number of programs needed to guarantee match?

You can look at prior years NRMP Fellowship Match reports that break this down well. The big unknown is if last year (or prior years) are a better barometer for what will happen this year. I believe it was 8 for US grads my year, hard to say what it ever is for foreign grads.

Hey guys, I was hoping to get some input from everyone on some of the questions that I had. I am an IMG on J1, and have luckily had 12 interviews which in my opinion, is a good number. That said I am still nervous given how competitive GI has become for IMGs in general. I am done with 8 interviews so far; the rest are scattered all the way upto 11/4.

My questions are:
1. I am worried that I will be too late in sending in letter of intent to my top choice program if I sit around waiting for all my interviews to be over. Some programs are already done with all interviews and may submit their rank lists soon. Should I email the first choice program now itself? I was also going to have my mentors call them but I am sure my mentors would want me to be done with all interviews first.

2. I have 2 different mentors - one clinical and another research. Can I have them call two different places? Like number 1 and number 2? The reason for doing that is because ultimately my goal is just to match, doesn’t matter where. I don’t want to risk putting all my eggs in one basket (that is if I put all my energy into calling no.1 and then none of the others bothered ranking me high enough because they thought I didn’t want to go there.

3. Lastly, this entire calling and mind games thing is very stressful. I just want to match. I wish programs just ranked based on who they liked and not based on who they thought actually wanted to come there. What if I kept it simple and just ranked my programs in order of my preference without having anyone call for me? Does that ever work for anyone in GI? Or is literally all about having somebody call for you? I just want to match, doesn’t matter if it’s number 12.

Thanks!

1. Your interest matters more here then it does in IM. Perfectly reasonable till your last one if unsure. If you are sure, go ahead and send it. Mentor calls help especially if in a shared field with what you would do at your top rank.
2. Mentor calls help but just don't tell two places they are number one. This is a ****ty thing to do, and GI is a small group, don't want to start your career not looking good. Just tell number 2 I will rank you very highly based on XYZ, point out why you like them.
3. The stress sucks, it does, I get you and remember my time. Know this will be over soon, you have done all you could. With that said fellowships often see you as a potential faculty member, someone who they will work much more closely and need to evaluate you more in depth because of said commitment. With that said the vast majority will match without any calls. Your LoRs, research, etc all have gotten you thus far and the odds are in your favor. Focus on your top few, expend the effort there, and let the chips fall. Keeping an open mind is key, so don;t worry.

1. Your interest matters more here then it does in IM. Perfectly reasonable till your last one if unsure. If you are sure, go ahead and send it. Mentor calls help especially if in a shared field with what you would do at your top rank.
2. Mentor calls help but just don't tell two places they are number one. This is a ****ty thing to do, and GI is a small group, don't want to start your career not looking good. Just tell number 2 I will rank you very highly based on XYZ, point out why you like them.
3. The stress sucks, it does, I get you and remember my time. Know this will be over soon, you have done all you could. With that said fellowships often see you as a potential faculty member, someone who they will work much more closely and need to evaluate you more in depth because of said commitment. With that said the vast majority will match without any calls. Your LoRs, research, etc all have gotten you thus far and the odds are in your favor. Focus on your top few, expend the effort there, and let the chips fall. Keeping an open mind is key, so don;t worry.
Thank you very much. That’s very helpful.

So we have to lob calls and write expression of interest as ranking #1 now as well? based on what im seeing in some of the above posts... never ends

My questions are:

Thanks!
1. I might be wrong, but to me it feels slightly early to send the letter of intent at this time, only because the interview season is still going.
2. I agree with you, I would have them reach out to different programs. I feel like there is no right or wrong answer here.
3. Yeah this is very stressful, don't know what to say here.

On another topic, how do you guys feel about post-interview communication? I am not referring to thank you e-mails, or letter of intent...

1. I might be wrong, but to me it feels slightly early to send the letter of intent at this time, only because the interview season is still going.
2. I agree with you, I would have them reach out to different programs. I feel like there is no right or wrong answer here.
3. Yeah this is very stressful, don't know what to say here.

On another topic, how do you guys feel about post-interview communication? I am not referring to thank you e-mails, or letter of intent...
Thank you!

Like what other post-interview communication?

Thank you!

Like what other post-interview communication?
Basically asking questions, just to show your interest in the program. Maybe I am going too far and this means absolutely nothing, but just saying...

Basically asking questions, just to show your interest in the program. Maybe I am going too far and this means absolutely nothing, but just saying...
I think it’s perfectly okay to do that and sounds harmless overall. But I doubt it would help.

do the interest thing folks... it matters in more programs than you might imagine. and everyone is going to do it... so don't be left behind...