**Official 2022 Prosthodontics PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyways congrats to everyone who matched! It was a long process, but meeting so many amazing people during the interviews was the best part of this journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
7935599B-2180-43E9-A687-4BC6085D0086.png

Attachments

• F7ED3A7A-2C4D-4700-B20C-B2E62BFEB18A.png
    F7ED3A7A-2C4D-4700-B20C-B2E62BFEB18A.png
    244 KB · Views: 326
Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some things pertaining to different programs I learned while interviewing this cycle that I think may be helpful for others. If others could add on, that would be nice:
I felt that the most competitive programs were those that are free/give a stipend. There are not that many.

1. Harvard: The interview was through zoom. During the Q&A with current residents, it seemed as though no-one wanted to answer or help the interviewee so there were many awkward silences. Apparently this was a common experience among several interviewees that made them feel very uncomfortable. The residents seemed almost unhappy and tired. It is a very good program for anyone wanting to be heavily involved in academia.
2. UCONN: Dr. Bidra, the director, is extremely intelligent. The program seemed like it was 99% surgical, which is probably why it is a very popular and competitive program. I also noticed that many interviewees this cycle discussed their interest in becoming a "surgical prosthodontist," so many candidates were looking for programs with good surgical exposure.
3. UIC: This program has a very good reputation. It should be noted that they have decreased their surgical experience, which seemed to be a disappointing factor to some current residents. Past residents were able to place up to or even more than 100 implants, but now they have decreased it to approximately 40. Overall, it is a solid program with great digital dentistry. The dean of the school is a prosthodontist, so there is good support for this pros department.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Here are some things pertaining to different programs I learned while interviewing this cycle that I think may be helpful for others. If others could add on, that would be nice:
I felt that the most competitive programs were those that are free/give a stipend. There are not that many.

1. Harvard: The interview was through zoom. During the Q&A with current residents, it seemed as though no-one wanted to answer or help the interviewee so there were many awkward silences. Apparently this was a common experience among several interviewees that made them feel very uncomfortable. The residents seemed almost unhappy and tired. It is a very good program for anyone wanting to be heavily involved in academia.
2. UCONN: Dr. Bidra, the director, is extremely intelligent. The program seemed like it was 99% surgical, which is probably why it is a very popular and competitive program. I also noticed that many interviewees this cycle discussed their interest in becoming a "surgical prosthodontist," so many candidates were looking for programs with good surgical exposure.
3. UIC: This program has a very good reputation. It should be noted that they have decreased their surgical experience, which seemed to be a disappointing factor to some current residents. Past residents were able to place up to or even more than 100 implants, but now they have decreased it to approximately 40. Overall, it is a solid program with great digital dentistry. The dean of the school is a prosthodontist, so there is good support for this pros department.
Need more of these posts. These snapshot opinions, although just that, will be helpful for future candidates!

4. University of North Carolina: It is a strong and well-rounded program with good digital dentistry and surgical experience. Many of the candidates I met during interview mentioned it would be ranked very highly on their list. The cost of tuition is also not bad. For the first year if you are out of state and then switch to in state for the last 2 years for tuition and then consider the stipend they provide, it will be about 36k total for 3 years. That is a pretty good price.
5. UTHSC Memphis: A lot of the residents respect and think very highly of the director Dr. Cagna. The program emphasizes gnathology. While the school is rumored to have heavy surgical emphasis on SDN, it is not true. You also have to do a lot more lab work compared to other programs. Dr. Cagna really wants to set his residents up for success. He makes sure that their research and other work for the masters degree are completed by the end of second year. This shows it is a good program because other program directors mentioned some of their residents stay behind after graduation because they still have not completed their thesis. Also they give you a small stipend and no tuition fee.
6. VA Programs: VA programs give the best clinical experience. The world is your oyster in that the veterans do not have to pay for their treatment. At all of the VA programs I interviewed at, the residents were very happy and extremely confident in their clinical skills. This is because they are able to create any treatment plan for the patient and follow through with it since there are no financial barriers. They also provide a stipend.
7. Columbia: Rumor has it that the program is not good and that most of the pros faculty left in recent years. I don't know if this is true since there were no post match positions available. So take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Regarding the post match, do we have to apply for the available seat through PASS or contact directly to the program directors

I have a google doc where I was keeping post-interview notes. I'll just copy and paste that here to make it easier so some of the information is scattered lol

1. University of Iowa:
Residents are limited to CD cases until they become competent. The program has its own surgical suite but it is now shared with perio. Perio will place half and prosth will place half in the same mouth. First 10 cases must be completed by the student and after that they can send it out to labs (have to always set their own teeth). I have heard a lot of great things about Iowa's program, but the interview was 20 minutes and I feel like I didn't learn much about the program.
2. Indiana University:
How much surgical experience is provided to the residents? As much as the resident wants. Required to place 5 in the program. Some residents are doing extractions as well.
How much lab work is done by the residents? Most of it. They process their own dentures. They don’t cast any metal but they can if they want. For full mouth rehab, they can send to the lab and the lab can make the temporaries and the final crowns.
Can you describe the typical first year for residents? Didactic courses until October when they can start seeing patients, mostly CD patients. They take exams from those classes and have a GPA. Also have pre-clinical work they can work on during this time.
What kind of cases will I see? Demographics of patients? Large patient pool and they can pull patients for you based on what you are interested in doing (want more implants, CD, full mouth rehab cases)
You will get what you want out of this program. Have to be self motivated. One of the second year residents is getting into implants and doing zygomatic arch implants. Dr. Lin is an expert in digital dentistry and Dr. Levon is an expert in “old-school” prosthodontics and is also a maxillofacial prosthodontist. First two years are out-of-state tuition and the third year ends up being around 10k. For maxillofacial, you will make a ton of obturators. Tumor boards with the ENTs at the hospital and you will sit in on cases. Might also work with the cancer center to make radiation stents for patients. Many of the patients you see will pass away during treatment. The maxillofacial program is 4 years and paid for.
3. University of Alabama at Birmingham:
What is the typical first year like for students/when do residents start seeing patients? First month - learning how to do everything (wax-up, use scanner/printers, etc). Dr. Wu said he wants the first month to be a period for the new residents to figure everything out; where they’re going to live, getting a car, finding food places, etc. Then seeing patients while taking didactic courses.
Implants? Cases are done with the perio residents but the prosth residents get to do them. Required to place 5 in the program but can do more.
How are patients recruited? What kind of cases will I see? Demographics of patients? All kinds - pts come from all over to come to the school. One of the top hospitals in US is the one at UAB. Work with the perio, OS, and peds residents.
Lab experience for students? First year, do all of the lab work. Second year, do most of your own lab work. Final year, can send out most of it and you can see more patients this way. The program has 3 lab techs on site, adjacent to the pros lab. The residents seem to rely on them for help which is nice. The equipment for processing dentures/partials is located in the lab techs lab which is closed on the weekend. Forces residents to have a life.
Dr. Wu is the new program director and the old program director is Dr. Givan. Dr. Givan is really into digital dentistry and they utilize that at the school a lot. They have 5 or 6 prosth faculty. The faculty assigns cases to the residents. Second year you help teach the prosth class to the dental students and third year you are clinic faculty in their comprehensive clinic. Dr. Givan stated that there is a lot to do around the city - close to the gulf to go to the beach, there’s a national park close, lakes, etc. The resident I interviewed with gave me her email and I emailed her some questions and never got a response.
4. University of Illinois - Chicago:
The director is Dr. Harlow for now but is transitioning to Dr. Taljin. The residents are placing a ton of implants and they get the same amount of implant placement experience as OS and perio which is unusual for a program. I watched a second year resident place two implants in an hour which was neat. They have a harder time finding RPD patients. The train is right outside of the school which would be nice for travel but it’s also convenient for patients. They have a huge waitlist for seeing patients. It’s important to Dr. Harlow for the residents to get board certified so the students have support in that aspect. There is a patient care coordinator and there are hygienists who see patients as well. We had a social after and that was fun getting to talk with the residents. They all seem really happy in the program. They do all of their own lab work I believe. They are renovating a space by the lab where the digital lab will be relocated so it’s closer for the students.
5. University of Pittsburgh:
Dr. Kunkel is the program director and he was in private practice for 25 years before teaching - this is kind of nice because he believes we are in school to become prosthodontists, not lab techs. They have a large patient population and a ton of full mouth rehab cases. They do seminars at lunch time which is nice - most schools have them before or after school. In July, you take didactic courses with other residents of other specialties. They have a good relationship with the Misch Institute and the third year residents get to go to the $30k course for free to learn about implants. There is a $25k stipend per year for the residents. They do mostly fixed cases (~70%) and have a harder time getting removable. Share placing implants with other specialties - prosth does the least amount. My interview with the residents was awkward and they weren’t very friendly, especially when I had questions about literally anything (even what to do around the city).
6. UNC:
Director is Dr. Ryan Cook and he is board certified in perio and prosth and is the director of both programs at UNC but he might be leaving soon. This seems awesome and the prosth residents are learning a lot of perio and doing a lot of surgeries. Residents talked about doing sinus lifts, GBR, bone grafts as well as placing implants. Stipend during the program is $7,200 annually and I can apply for in-state tuition after the first semester. Start in July and there is a 6 week basecamp training program where the new residents learn how to use all the equipment, technology, and some lab work. The program currently has an 850+ pt waitlist. There is a maxillofacial clinic every Friday morning so all of the residents get to see maxillofacial patients. Residents do have a rotation for when they are on call but when they are, they are doing screenings and that’s about it. There is a lab tech with the program, Jaime, but I don’t think he does a ton so the lab work is all still on the residents. During the summer, they have a practice management course which is neat.
7. Ohio State:
There was dinner the evening before which was nice. Dr. Lee said he wanted us to feel relaxed at our interview tomorrow and thought if we had a meal together, we would be more relaxed the next day. I love the campus a lot. The program is affordable and all the residencies, including medical, are all around the same area on campus. The program is heavy on their research. We had to do a bridge prep and temporize it as well as RPD design. The program isn’t very surgically driven due to the old program director but there is a new program director so that might change, but who knows. The student’s do all of their own lab work.
8. University of Minnesota:
The director is Dr. Zheng who just left Ohio State as assistant director - has only been at the program a few weeks. He wants to create more collaboration between specialties and is working to have perio and prosth working together more. It is a very well rounded program. There are 7 full time faculty and a ton of part time faculty. Dr. Goodkind comes in and teaches color theory and painting. There is a long waitlist for patients but it is luck of the draw for patients. In the first year, you start with hands-on learning how to do things and then go into didactic courses. You are not limited to any certain case as a first year; the one I spoke with has his first few cases being full mouth rehab. The residents get to do all of their own surgeries and can get as much implant experience as they want. For the research project, you do get a mentor. The students do all of their own lab work but Dr. Zheng mentioned they might be getting a lab tech. For board preparation, you must take the written portion and you can also do one part of the case presentation while in residency. They are trying to start a half session a week of maxillofacial cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
9. Texas A&M:
The program director is Dr. Cho; he’s an expert ceramist and is very organized, the residents said that they are lucky to learn from him. The residents seem to get a lot of surgical experience and they have 4 half-days a week for implant placement. They do GBRs and bone grafts themselves - they work with periodontists in the implant clinic. They do a lot of lab work but it sounds like they can do a lot of digital wax-ups which is nice and they do have a lab tech but she mainly deals with porcelain and traditional cases. Dr. Cho assigns patients to residents and they said if they want more of a certain case, they can ask him. The program has a large emphasis on board certification. The residents receive a 10k stipend each year with teaching responsibilities happening only in the third year. The building that they are in is brand new and there are windows in the lab so it doesn’t feel like a prison. There is a summer intro sessions where you have different courses: ceramic/wax-up course, prosth concepts, photography, implant surgery and placement practice, and occlusion courses. I did visit this program in person and it actually wasn't as surgically driven as they made it seem during the interview which was disappointing.
10. University of Tennessee:
Similar to what was said by others on SDN. They are not a surgically driven program but they used to be. The residents are awesome and so are the faculty. This program is very heavy on lab work.

I hope this is helpful. I know there's a lot of information here, but I wish previous cycles would have posted information like this. It's really helpful - especially with virtual interviews. :panda:

Ohio State: had the best food during interviews and Dr. Lee is so funny/has a great sense of humor. The residents there seem to be very happy. There seems to be a bit of a shortage of faculty at the moment but the current faculty are soooo nice. Sweetest people I have met. Even the assistants are like angels. I believe Dr. Lee is working on recruiting more faculty, but it’s difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Regarding the post match, do we have to apply for the available seat through PASS or contact directly to the program directors
Not sure but even if it’s through pass directly I think it’s best to contact the director

Thank you so much for your invaluable input guys! Its extremely helpful when someone shares their perspective and experience about a program. I was just wondering if someone can help me out with the current post match positions, is it still same as above screenshots or changed? Thanks again!

Also, what you guys think about LLU & USC Program? Special thanks to Shahed for creating a wonderful forum!

Hello guys
Congratulations to everyone who matched.
I received an invitation from marquette university for post match positions
Please for those who did an interview there could you provide me with your feedback?

Thank you so much

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations again to everyone who was successful in this cycle. If you are hoping to apply to a prosthodontics program next cycle and have questions regarding the process, please do not hesitate to use this thread.

Reactions: 2 users