You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
**Official 2023 OMFS PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**
Started by iluvnetters
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
5kullhead
New Member
Not sure, but why would you want to kick the can down the road 4-6 years and then have to take it after not touching a handpiece for that long? And, if you don't match and do a non-cat they are going to want you to have a dental license in that state. You worried you can't pass ADEX or similar exams?If the program only requires you to have a "limited license," does that mean we don't have to take the state licensing exam (ADEX or SRTA) for the residency?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think this is itis there a results thread yet for this year?
Dental1995
New Member
Is 8am the normal time match results come out?
OStoDeath23
New Member
I heard you could get an email anytime from 8-12Is 8am the normal time match results come out?
Based on their posting history, you may be making incorrect assumptions.
OStoDeath23
New Member
if didnt match -- does anyone know if you can start emailing programs to apply for non-cats now? or do you have to wait until 12?
Email now. Our noncat spots are already filling upif didnt match -- does anyone know if you can start emailing programs to apply for non-cats now? or do you have to wait until 12?
which program are you affiliated with?Email now. Our noncat spots are already filling up
The post match spots will be listed where you login for matchcan someone post the unmatched spots this year
assuming they applied. Some people just want to know what programs didn’t match a spotThe post match spots will be listed where you login for match
D
deleted923283
Buddy sent me a picture. I see at least 12 unmatched spots. That’s unprecedented. Maybe I’m misreading it.assuming they applied. Some people just want to know what programs didn’t match a spot
Last edited by a moderator:
Why would something like this happen?Buddy sent me a picture. I see at least 14 unmatched spots. That’s unprecedented. Maybe I’m misreading it.
What programs? That’s insane. I think you might be looking at it wrong but if not, god damnBuddy sent me a picture. I see at least 14 unmatched spots. That’s unprecedented. Maybe I’m misreading it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted923283
I'm a tertiary source (MATCH website -> buddy -> me). I defer to someone who can see the post spots directly through the website.
Everyone’s always so unreasonably weird about posting unmatched programs so my hopes aren’t high. BU, Emory, UW are always strong contenders though.I'm a tertiary source (MATCH website -> buddy -> me). I defer to someone who can see the post spots directly through the website.
D
deleted923283
Having unmatched spots can be seen as "bad" by future applicants, even though it's more complicated than that, and as a rule, I don't say bad things about programs here. I'm not anonymous here - it would be pretty easy to find out my identity from my post history - so I have to thread lightly with things. I also can't vouch for the validity of the picture I saw and I don't want to spread false information.Everyone’s always so unreasonably weird about posting unmatched programs so my hopes aren’t high. BU, Emory, UW are always strong contenders though.
How would that work with filling those unfilled spots? Sorry just a D1 whose now like 3 months into studying but this process is mind-consumingHaving unmatched spots can be seen as "bad" by future applicants, even though it's more complicated than that, and as a rule, I don't say bad things about programs here. I'm not anonymous here - it would be pretty easy to find out my identity from my post history - so I have to thread lightly with things. I also can't vouch for the validity of the picture I saw and I don't want to spread false information.
D
deleted923283
Right now, hundreds of panicking applicants and a dozen extremely stressed out Program Coordinators are probably playing the world's worst game of phone tag.How would that work with filling those unfilled spots? Sorry just a D1 whose now like 3 months into studying but this process is mind-consuming
It's chaos (from what I hear). It's very uncommon for OS. Maybe there's one or two spots a cycle, a lot of times 0. They try to set up zoom interviews ASAP and fill the spots.
I wanna see stats 0.0
Imo it’s usually plain arrogance that leads to unmatched spots. Not interviewing enough, thinking they only have to rank half the people that they interviewed, etc. Especially if you’re a repeat offender. These programs should be embarrassed. Just my opinion though.Having unmatched spots can be seen as "bad" by future applicants, even though it's more complicated than that, and as a rule, I don't say bad things about programs here. I'm not anonymous here - it would be pretty easy to find out my identity from my post history - so I have to thread lightly with things. I also can't vouch for the validity of the picture I saw and I don't want to spread false information.
National match results shows 12 spots unmatched for OMFS this cycleI'm a tertiary source (MATCH website -> buddy -> me). I defer to someone who can see the post spots directly through the website.
For those that matched this cycle, how do you think the Equated Percent Correct CBSE scoring was compared to the older scoring systems?
here's the list
PD’s received a score conversion chart that allowed them to convert the EPC score into the standard three digit score.For those that matched this cycle, how do you think the Equated Percent Correct CBSE scoring was compared to the older scoring systems?
PD’s received a score conversion chart that allowed them to convert the EPC score into the standard three digit score.
For those that matched this cycle, how do you think the Equated Percent Correct CBSE scoring was compared to the older scoring systems?
Attachments
Looks like 2018 and 2019 also had higher than average unmatched spots
Your arrogance will be checked real quick in residency. “Your non cat” could very possibly make you look bad by outperforming you. Enjoy it while it lasts until July.Rank list certified. Match spot confirmed. This concludes the forum. Competitive Candidate to sign off. Page if interested in being my non-cat.
competitivecandidate said:
Rank list certified. Match spot confirmed. This concludes the forum. Competitive Candidate to sign off. Page if interested in being my non-cat.
Godspeed to whichever program this person matched to 🫡
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone that matched!
NON-CATEGORICAL INTERN POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2023-2024. PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW TO APPLY!
For anyone looking for a non-categorical internship experience that is second to none, please consider this opportunity.
LSU Oral & Maxillofacial Non-Categorical Internship Opportunity
The oral & maxillofacial surgery department at Louisiana State University in New Orleans has non-categorical intern positions available for the 2023-2024 year. We are looking for dedicated OMFS applicants eager to gain diverse experience in the field of OMFS. Our scope includes malignant pathology, microvascular reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, trauma surgery, temporomandibular joint surgery, benign pathology, dentoalveolar/sedations, and cosmetic cases. Our non-categorical interns have a hands on learning experience and typically match into the program of their of their choice in the following year. Categorical and non-categorical interns cover clinics at University Medical Center and LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans as well as our site in Baton Rouge. Interns assist in the operating room, directly care for patients in various settings, and take call at one of the highest volume level 1 trauma centers in the southeast. Here at LSU we work to build a culture collegiality to foster a team-centered environment. We've designed an experience that will facilitate a smooth transition into residency for all of our non-categorical interns.
These are paid positions. Please have CV and CBSE scores for consideration!
For more information please contact our program director:
Jessica Helgeson Markey, MBA
[email protected]
NON-CATEGORICAL INTERN POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2023-2024. PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW TO APPLY!
For anyone looking for a non-categorical internship experience that is second to none, please consider this opportunity.
LSU Oral & Maxillofacial Non-Categorical Internship Opportunity
The oral & maxillofacial surgery department at Louisiana State University in New Orleans has non-categorical intern positions available for the 2023-2024 year. We are looking for dedicated OMFS applicants eager to gain diverse experience in the field of OMFS. Our scope includes malignant pathology, microvascular reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, trauma surgery, temporomandibular joint surgery, benign pathology, dentoalveolar/sedations, and cosmetic cases. Our non-categorical interns have a hands on learning experience and typically match into the program of their of their choice in the following year. Categorical and non-categorical interns cover clinics at University Medical Center and LSU School of Dentistry in New Orleans as well as our site in Baton Rouge. Interns assist in the operating room, directly care for patients in various settings, and take call at one of the highest volume level 1 trauma centers in the southeast. Here at LSU we work to build a culture collegiality to foster a team-centered environment. We've designed an experience that will facilitate a smooth transition into residency for all of our non-categorical interns.
These are paid positions. Please have CV and CBSE scores for consideration!
For more information please contact our program director:
Jessica Helgeson Markey, MBA
[email protected]
I think there is more at play here. Specifically the CBSE and the amount of influence that med schools have on the selection process. Roughly 70% of those unmatched spots were from 6 year programs. The creep of medical school influence continues. I know from my standpoint I am very happy with our results and we are working on getting the non-cat positions filled ASAP. Another item to look at....% of match candidates that had a GPR or Internship. I believe it neared 50% for the first time ever. Although I do not have previous stats to back that statement. My guess is that this trend will continue for a while and will level out at about 60/40 intern to fresh OOS. Thats my uneducated guess. As for the CBSE conversion, what a **** show from NBME on this one. Change the grading criteria about 3 weeks prior to the test and then give us a "conversion" chart that equates to passing step 1. Not sure it has a lot of value except to Med Schools at this point but will certainly be used by 6 year programs for admission. The list of unmatched applicants was large and to me very disheartening. Such a large list of applicants who's dreams were "crushed". Hope everyone is hanging in there.Imo it’s usually plain arrogance that leads to unmatched spots. Not interviewing enough, thinking they only have to rank half the people that they interviewed, etc. Especially if you’re a repeat offender. These programs should be embarrassed. Just my opinion though.
Lots of great points. How are you interpreting the new CBSE scoring system as a PD? I’ve heard stories from other PDs at 6 years that have had outstanding applicants that crushed it in dental school and had great potential for OMFS and programs wanted to rank them #1, but then the med school said no they couldn’t rank them at all based on undergrad transcripts and CBSE scores (despite passing).I think there is more at play here. Specifically the CBSE and the amount of influence that med schools have on the selection process. Roughly 70% of those unmatched spots were from 6 year programs. The creep of medical school influence continues. I know from my standpoint I am very happy with our results and we are working on getting the non-cat positions filled ASAP. Another item to look at....% of match candidates that had a GPR or Internship. I believe it neared 50% for the first time ever. Although I do not have previous stats to back that statement. My guess is that this trend will continue for a while and will level out at about 60/40 intern to fresh OOS. Thats my uneducated guess. As for the CBSE conversion, what a **** show from NBME on this one. Change the grading criteria about 3 weeks prior to the test and then give us a "conversion" chart that equates to passing step 1. Not sure it has a lot of value except to Med Schools at this point but will certainly be used by 6 year programs for admission. The list of unmatched applicants was large and to me very disheartening. Such a large list of applicants who's dreams were "crushed". Hope everyone is hanging in there.
I don’t think there’s a “one size fits all” answer here. You can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers. Much of it will depend on how the rest of your application looks. That being said, I will tell you when I applied, our OMS faculty advised aiming for at least a 76 (215) with the old scoring system, which I believe is around 70-72 with the new scoring system. You want to go in with the mindset of achieving the highest possible score that you can, not just “passing.” There’s no getting around the fact that you may have to sacrifice a lot (time, effort, sanity, etc.) to get the best possible score that you can, but that should be the goal. I took this exam three times to get a score I was happy with, each time my score increased and with each attempt I discovered new gray hairs. Hope I helped, feel free to message me if you have additional questions.Good afternoon everyone. I know that most people are knowledgeable about OMS on this forum. I would like to ask what a competitive score would be based on the new score reporting system of the CBSE? Any advice would be helpful for the forthcoming exams in February 2023. I’m already mentally overwhelmed with preparation. Have heard about how tough the exam could be. Thank you for your input, I truly appreciate your time.
they couldn’t rank them at all based on undergrad transcripts and CBSE scores (despite passing).
Undergrad transcripts?? Thought those wouldn't haunt me anymore. Any idea if they take post-bacc/master's into consideration?
That’s what I was explicitly told. The med school is comparing you to the applications they’re reviewing - which are basically all undergrads trying to get in med school. So their perspective is it would be “unfair” to put heavy weight into postgrad grades when comparing. The only common denominator amongst everyone is undergrad.
I certainly hope they take into account other graduate degrees/grades though… I’ll have a PhD too when I apply so my undergrad transcripts will be 10 years old and in my opinion totally irrelevant.
50% of incoming med students have taken a gap year and many do some form of post-baccs/SMP before matriculation to med school. It helps their chances, so I hope its at least considered for me as well. I take your point tho, and I think its unfortunate. No applicant, no matter how hard-working, can travel back in time to their undergrad self to fix those errors.
Btw, its super impressive that you'll have a PhD too!!
What happened to UNC?View attachment 365086
here's the list
Their PD changed.What happened to UNC?
National match ratio of fresh grads/total matched OMFS- looks like you are correctI think there is more at play here. Specifically the CBSE and the amount of influence that med schools have on the selection process. Roughly 70% of those unmatched spots were from 6 year programs. The creep of medical school influence continues. I know from my standpoint I am very happy with our results and we are working on getting the non-cat positions filled ASAP. Another item to look at....% of match candidates that had a GPR or Internship. I believe it neared 50% for the first time ever. Although I do not have previous stats to back that statement. My guess is that this trend will continue for a while and will level out at about 60/40 intern to fresh OOS. Thats my uneducated guess. As for the CBSE conversion, what a **** show from NBME on this one. Change the grading criteria about 3 weeks prior to the test and then give us a "conversion" chart that equates to passing step 1. Not sure it has a lot of value except to Med Schools at this point but will certainly be used by 6 year programs for admission. The list of unmatched applicants was large and to me very disheartening. Such a large list of applicants who's dreams were "crushed". Hope everyone is hanging in there.
2017: 67.9%
2018: 65%
2019: 131/226 57.9%
2020:147/230 63.9%
2021 141/235 60%
2022 133/237 56.1%
2023 120/231 51.9%
Doesn't say whether those guys did non-cats or gpr, but the point is either less fresh grads are applying, or it's getting harder to compete as a fresh grad compared to non-cat guys. At this rate might as well tell interested dental students to expect a 5-7 yr commitment, not to scare them off per say, but to be realistic. Looking at the data for 2023 another way, 120 fresh grads match out of 408 applicants = 29.4% match rate which is just brutal.
Last edited:
D
deleted923283
Very few residents are coming straight from GPR/AEGD. For all future applicants, if you don’t match, you should do a non-cat, not a GPR/AEGDNational match ratio of fresh grads/total matched OMFS- looks like you are correct
2017: 67.9%
2018: 65%
2019: 131/226 57.9%
2020:147/230 63.9%
2021 141/235 60%
2022 133/237 56.1%
2023 120/231 51.9%
Doesn't say whether those guys did non-cats or gpr, but the point is either less fresh grads are applying, or it's getting harder to compete as a fresh grad compared to non-cat guys. At this rate might as well tell interested dental students to expect a 5-7 yr commitment, not to scare them off per se, but to be realistic.
Is there any information on how fresh graduates performed for 4 vs 6 year spots? I could be wrong, but I was always told 4 year appointments are sometimes more competitive and/or becoming more geared towards non-cat applicants. Anyone have any insight on this?National match ratio of fresh grads/total matched OMFS- looks like you are correct
2017: 67.9%
2018: 65%
2019: 131/226 57.9%
2020:147/230 63.9%
2021 141/235 60%
2022 133/237 56.1%
2023 120/231 51.9%
Doesn't say whether those guys did non-cats or gpr, but the point is either less fresh grads are applying, or it's getting harder to compete as a fresh grad compared to non-cat guys. At this rate might as well tell interested dental students to expect a 5-7 yr commitment, not to scare them off per say, but to be realistic. Looking at the data for 2023 another way, 120 fresh grads match out of 408 applicants = 29.4% match rate which is just brutal.
My opinion on this, I would NOT do a non-cat if your CBSE isn't at least 60/65+. The glory days of "non-catting your way into match" just don't exist anymore. Doing a non-cat will help, yes, but if your score isn't there, you will have difficulties landing interviews. I would recommend a GPR or working for a year to allow for more time to study for the CBSE and then non-cat if needed. You will not have time to put many hours into CBSE studying while doing a non-cat (at least at the program I'm at you won't).Very few residents are coming straight from GPR/AEGD. For all future applicants, if you don’t match, you should do a non-cat, not a GPR/AEGD
There are a few programs known to take their own non-cats, so it would maybe be worth it to non-cat there, if anything.
Can you or anyone else vouch for how accurate this is for predicting CBSE score? Considering that AMBOSS is widely considered more difficult than UWorld/NBMEs/the actual exam I'm curiousAMBOSS self-assessment is free to sign up for right now. But you can only take it between Feb. 9th-19th
Eh it's been debated a lot before, but what it really boils down to on average 6 yr guys tend to have significantly higher CBSE than 4 yr guys, but the pool is a lot smaller. Most non-cats, people applying years later, etc. tend to prefer 4 yr programs. You can decide how you want to define "competitiveness".Is there any information on how fresh graduates performed for 4 vs 6 year spots? I could be wrong, but I was always told 4 year appointments are sometimes more competitive and/or becoming more geared towards non-cat applicants. Anyone have any insight on this?
This article says avg CBSE of 4 yr residents was 63 and avg CBSE of 6 yr residents was 75.
That 63 is not the case anymore (I assume neither is the 75). Most 4 years will not grant you an interview with that low of a score today.Eh it's been debated a lot before, but what it really boils down to on average 6 yr guys tend to have significantly higher CBSE than 4 yr guys, but the pool is a lot smaller. Most non-cats, people applying years later, etc. tend to prefer 4 yr programs. You can decide how you want to define "competitiveness".
This article says avg CBSE of 4 yr residents was 63 and avg CBSE of 6 yr residents was 75.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Over 75 to be competitive (old scale)Good evening…What score would you advise someone to get on the CBSE since scores have gone up? Thank you for your time
So besides having a competitive CBSE score, is it mostly class rank (if not P/F), externships, and interview that help new grads be competitive compared to non-cat applicants who have more clinical experience?Eh it's been debated a lot before, but what it really boils down to on average 6 yr guys tend to have significantly higher CBSE than 4 yr guys, but the pool is a lot smaller. Most non-cats, people applying years later, etc. tend to prefer 4 yr programs. You can decide how you want to define "competitiveness".
This article says avg CBSE of 4 yr residents was 63 and avg CBSE of 6 yr residents was 75.
Yes, and letters from oral surgeons (academic) hold weightSo besides having a competitive CBSE score, is it mostly class rank (if not P/F), externships, and interview that help new grads be competitive compared to non-cat applicants who have more clinical experience?
I’m curious how applicants from ranked vs unranked dental schools are favored in the process. Not implying anything, and I’m sure it greatly varies. I only ask because a PD once told me they sometimes prefer a ranked candidate
D
deleted923283
if you were a PD, wouldn’t you prefer someone with a rank?I’m curious how applicants from ranked vs unranked dental schools are favored in the process. Not implying anything, and I’m sure it greatly varies. I only ask because a PD once told me they sometimes prefer a ranked candidate
Similar threads
- Replies
- 67
- Views
- 15K
- Replies
- 21
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 363
- Views
- 169K
- Replies
- 237
- Views
- 44K
- Replies
- 321
- Views
- 218K