**Official 2026 Ortho Pass/Interviews/Match/Non- match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Also would love to hear from anyone who matched with 5-10 years of experience!

This is my second cycle. 10 interviews between this year and last. Ivy dental school, GRE 157/164/4.5, five research projects (three dental related), lots of ECs/CEs/leadership, teach at two dental schools, unique practice experience.. is internship the way to go at this point? Any advice would be appreciated!
 
Name of Ortho Program: West coast program (15 interviews total, 12 match, 3 non match
Dental School Attended: West cost program
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2024 (2nd time applying)
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: INDBE
GRE Score: Q 163, V 168 W 5
Class Rank: pass/fail
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: 5 projects, 1 published this cycle, 1 under revision
Extracurriculars: VP, board member of 3 dental clubs, Invisalign certification, lot of ortho shadowing.


To everyone reapplying this cycle, don’t lose hope. I’m sharing this to encourage you. I didn’t do any externships or fellowships — I went straight into full-time work after graduation. Even without an AEGD or GPR, I still secured a residency spot. (Of course, I continued improving my CV along the way.

Some faculty even warned me that my chances would be lower if I reapplied without a fellowship, but that simply wasn’t true. If you genuinely show commitment to the field, programs notice. I ended up receiving 15 interviews — including 3 Ivy League programs — and I was honestly shocked!

During my working year, I focused on:

  • Working full-time : pediatric office experience
  • Publishing two papers
  • Earning my Invisalign certification
  • Retaking my GRE (my verbal score was around the 98th percentile)

Please don’t underestimate the GRE — a high score can really make you stand out.

To all my colleagues who didn’t match this cycle: do not lose hope. You’ve already come so far, and your capabilities are not defined by this one outcome. Unfortunately, this specialty can be political, and I wish it weren’t. But keep building your CV, stay true to your path, and trust that everything will fall into place.


Wishing you the very best in the upcoming cycle. You’ve got this. 💙
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have experience with doing research during a working year in private practice? Not sure how it works if you’re not affiliated with a school. Thank you!
 
Posting this for those who have low class rank:
One of my friends has been accepted into orthodontic residency with a very low class rank and limited ECs. Not going to disclose the program they were accepted to, but it wasn't GSO or an expensive program. They are currently a dental student, so no GPR/AEGD either.

Name of Ortho Program: USA
Dental School Attended: Midwest-Ranked School
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2026
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: Failed INBDE 1st attempted, hasn't retaken yet.
GRE Score: Verbal: 152, Quant: 158, Writing: 5.0
Class Rank: Bottom 10% in class. Yes bottom 10%
Externship
(s)/where: 5 programs, interview invites at three programs where they externed. Also accepted into one of the programs.
Research: Multiple projects (+8 projects, 0 publications, countless poster presentations)
Extracurriculars: Orthodontic assisting for +2 years, member of student organizations (no leadership other than on research projects)

Applied to 36 schools:
Interview invites:
3
Attended: 3
 
Name of Ortho Program: East Program
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DDS: 2023
International Student; Yes
INBDE: Pass first attempt
ADAT: 85th percentile
GPA: 3.9
GRE Score: Verbal: 164, Quant: 165, Writing: 5.0
Class Rank: no rank school
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: 7 programs, interview invites at 4/7 of my externships.
Research: Multiple projects ( +15 publications, numerous conferences, poster presentation, speaker, etc.)
Extracurriculars: Master's with GPA 4, Ortho assisting for one year, multiple community services, teaching experience, and leadership experience.
Applied to 30 schools:
Interview invites:
8
Attended: 8
Accepted a non-match position, didn't rank.
My advice is to strengthen your CV in all sections; your GRE score really matters!
 
Congrats to everyone who matched, and for those who didn’t our time is coming. Let’s keep pushing!
I’m looking for some guidance as I prepare to reapply next cycle. This was my first cycle and I did not match.
My background:
I applied to 18 programs. I did not apply to GSO because I can't provide the financial documentation they require upfront.
I have 3 years of GP experience treating some children, mostly adults.
I received one interview this cycle.
I have a lower dental school class rank/GPA.
I completed 3 research projects (2 in dental school, 1 in undergrad) and have 1 presentation but no publications.
I have strong community service, shadowing and extracurricular involvement during school and while practicing.
I have clear aligner experience with about 21 cases. I earned my Invisalign certification right after school, completed additional CE, and currently also provide SureSmile. I’m not sure how programs viewed this experience as a GP.

My questions:
Which programs tend to be open to hosting applicants who are practicing GP's for an externship?
Does anyone have any Ortho CE recommendations that would strengthen my app?
Should I email the program director from the program where I interviewed to ask for feedback?
How do applicants typically gain research experience while working full-time? Any tips on joining ongoing projects?
Would working in an underserved setting like an FQHC or in a pediatric-focused office be seen more positively?
For those who matched in later cycles, what changes made the biggest difference for you?
Should I reuse my letters of recommendation next cycle, or is it better to request updated/new ones?

I’m genuinely trying to figure out how to approach the next cycle and build a stronger application. Any honest insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, and wishing you all the best moving forward!
 
I did not get accepted. I was confident (not arrogant) that I would. Posting this to show that, no matter if you have high versus low stats, don't make any assumptions when applying or the process. Meaning, apply to more places than you think you need to, etc., because you just never know! I felt great about all of my interviews and wouldn't have changed a thing. There are definitely many factors that can be outside of our control.

Dental School Attended: Canadian school
Year Earned DDS: 2017
International Student; No
INBDE: Pass
GPA: 4.0
GRE Score: Verbal: 156, Quant: 151, Writing: 4.5
Class Rank: 2nd
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Research: Multiple projects ( +5 publications, numerous conferences, poster presentation, speaker, etc.)
Other relevant stuff: Full-time faculty member at a dental school, GPR, multiple years of private practice, extensive service at our national dental examining board writing/evaluating questions for future licensure exams, content expert and creator of teaching modules used across the country, good references, ortho shadowing, good looking (lol)
Applied to 5 schools:
Interview invites:
3
Attended: 3
 
for tuition based programs, what if after matching, you cant secure a private loan? should those programs not be ranked? with the new bbb, I believe fed loans arent gonna be an option.
 
for tuition based programs, what if after matching, you cant secure a private loan? should those programs not be ranked? with the new bbb, I believe fed loans arent gonna be an option.
Then you wouldn't be able to attend the program if you can't get loans to cover the costs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Applying after a year of non cat then private practice. Anyone have luck doing that? Thoughts? Private practice time to study and retake CBSE.
 
For anyone currently looking at Orthodontic residency programs, applications have just opened for a new dental residency program starting this cycle in July 2026. This program has no tuition and include a $40,000 stipend. The application deadline is March 1st and will enroll up to 8 residents. I’m attaching the application portal and program flyer below for anyone who wants more information.

email: [email protected]
Website
Application Link
 

Attachments

For anyone currently looking at Orthodontic residency programs, applications have just opened for a new dental residency program starting this cycle in July 2026. This program has no tuition and include a $40,000 stipend. The application deadline is March 1st and will enroll up to 8 residents. I’m attaching the application portal and program flyer below for anyone who wants more information.

email: [email protected]
Website
Application Link
Thank you for the information! Will the program be participating in the Match after this year?
 
I did not get accepted. I was confident (not arrogant) that I would. Posting this to show that, no matter if you have high versus low stats, don't make any assumptions when applying or the process. Meaning, apply to more places than you think you need to, etc., because you just never know! I felt great about all of my interviews and wouldn't have changed a thing. There are definitely many factors that can be outside of our control.

Dental School Attended: Canadian school
Year Earned DDS: 2017
International Student; No
INBDE: Pass
GPA: 4.0
GRE Score: Verbal: 156, Quant: 151, Writing: 4.5
Class Rank: 2nd
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Research: Multiple projects ( +5 publications, numerous conferences, poster presentation, speaker, etc.)
Other relevant stuff: Full-time faculty member at a dental school, GPR, multiple years of private practice, extensive service at our national dental examining board writing/evaluating questions for future licensure exams, content expert and creator of teaching modules used across the country, good references, ortho shadowing, good looking (lol)
Applied to 5 schools:
Interview invites:
3
Attended: 3
What do you think the problem was? Something else has to be going on here, and the "good looking" part is sending me lmao
 
What do you think the problem was? Something else has to be going on here, and the "good looking" part is sending me lmao
Lol thanks! I really don't know. My undergrad ortho director at my alma mater said this past year was a crazy competitive year, lots of #1 in their class students applying, etc. Some of it comes down to luck of the draw, subjectivity a little bit, when you have so many people applying for so few spots. Some spots are held for internationals, some come from favoured GPRs affiliated with the universities, etc etc. Not going to overthink it and just apply more broadly this time. I have three close friends who are orthodontists whose credentials were well below mine (not saying that arrogantly, just stating facts on paper), and they got in straight away. Sometimes there's just neither rhyme nor reason.
 
For anyone currently looking at Orthodontic residency programs, applications have just opened for a new dental residency program starting this cycle in July 2026. This program has no tuition and include a $40,000 stipend. The application deadline is March 1st and will enroll up to 8 residents. I’m attaching the application portal and program flyer below for anyone who wants more information.

email: [email protected]
Website
Application Link
I would be careful about applying to this program. It isn’t benefiting the profession. It isn’t coda accredited yet, and it’s for profit.
New private-sponsored residencies can carry a lot of uncertainty and primarily serve to line someone’s pockets.
 
Did anyone apply to AIDM? Looks like they sent out interviews per Reddit. I applied and didn’t hear anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the GRE today and I dont know if I should retake?
I have worked as an orthodontic assistant prior to dental school. 3.95 GPA, rank within top 10 of the class. Founder and president of an orthodontic student organization within the school. Have done one research, presented and won an award. Good involvement and leadership. (was told by my school's program director that I am strong candidate?)

My GRE was 154 quant and 147 verbal.
Not an international student. But also English is not my first language and I struggled alot with learning words that I have never heard before and how they are used in sentence. I believe this also hindered my ability to at least make educated guesses. Im worried about the 147 verbal score.
Applying to 33ish school and 50%ish of them require the GRE.

How important is this? How worried should I be? Is it worth it to retake, knowing that there might/might not be any improvements?
I wouldn’t retake. Your rank and GPA are solid. I think you’ll get interviews.

Re-take if you think you can score higher. I think you can take it again in a few weeks.