-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2015-2016 *~*~*
Started by AlteredScale
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
AACOMAS must be slow receiving transcripts. Sent them all the same day to AMCAS and AACOMAS; AMCAS received all of them, AACOMAS only one.
AACOMAS must be slow receiving transcripts. Sent them all the same day to AMCAS and AACOMAS; AMCAS received all of them, AACOMAS only one.
Yea I sent 3 within a day or two amd only 1 was received. That was like 10 days ago.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok glad I'm not alone lol. I've been trying to call AACOMAS for days, line is constantly busy.
Ok glad I'm not alone lol. I've been trying to call AACOMAS for days, line is constantly busy.
Just got the email for the last transcript I sent. Just the cc one left....leave it to the cc to [most likely] make a mistake.
Hi I have a few questions, sorry if they have been asked before....
1. Regarding your academic year, I studied in a community college for 3 years, transferred to a Univeristy, graudated in 2 years. According to AACOMAS instructions, I was told to put my last two years in the university both as "Senior", even though I was techincally a "Junior " and "Senior". So my first 3 years in the CC were "Freshman", "Soph", "Junior". IS THIS CORRECT ? (some people have suggested to go by your class units to assign your academic year)
2. I took a biostatistics course and received an A, but the course was under the department of Public Health, and the course number reflected that. Can I list this course as an Public Health credit ? The reason is that I want this grade to be factored into sGPA....... (biostatistics is under Math, whic is non-science)
3. What do they mean by Summer I and Summer II ?
4. How does AACOMAS categorize summer semesters in terms of school year ? lets say, will a course taken in Summer 2010 considered to be the first semester of school year 2010-2011 ? or is it considered to be the last semester of 2009-2010 ?
5. Regarding experiences. In the descriptions/key responsibilities, is okay to use bullet points ?.......
6. AACOMAS informed that one of my school's transcript has arrived..... but how can i view it in the application ? The email says go to Manage My Programs>Program Status> Hover your mouse on information icon...... When I get to Program Status, it seems empty, it only says "You have not yet submitted your application to any Programs."
Thank you !!!!!
1. Regarding your academic year, I studied in a community college for 3 years, transferred to a Univeristy, graudated in 2 years. According to AACOMAS instructions, I was told to put my last two years in the university both as "Senior", even though I was techincally a "Junior " and "Senior". So my first 3 years in the CC were "Freshman", "Soph", "Junior". IS THIS CORRECT ? (some people have suggested to go by your class units to assign your academic year)
2. I took a biostatistics course and received an A, but the course was under the department of Public Health, and the course number reflected that. Can I list this course as an Public Health credit ? The reason is that I want this grade to be factored into sGPA....... (biostatistics is under Math, whic is non-science)
3. What do they mean by Summer I and Summer II ?
4. How does AACOMAS categorize summer semesters in terms of school year ? lets say, will a course taken in Summer 2010 considered to be the first semester of school year 2010-2011 ? or is it considered to be the last semester of 2009-2010 ?
5. Regarding experiences. In the descriptions/key responsibilities, is okay to use bullet points ?.......
6. AACOMAS informed that one of my school's transcript has arrived..... but how can i view it in the application ? The email says go to Manage My Programs>Program Status> Hover your mouse on information icon...... When I get to Program Status, it seems empty, it only says "You have not yet submitted your application to any Programs."
Thank you !!!!!
Last edited:
AACOMAS must be slow receiving transcripts. Sent them all the same day to AMCAS and AACOMAS; AMCAS received all of them, AACOMAS only one.
Same here. I sent my one transcript from my school 3-4 days ago, still have not received an email regarding them accepting it yet.
How many letters are all of you planning on sending?
I have 2 science, DO, and supervisor letters. Not sure if I should skip the supervisor one? It's for an academic tutoring like program on campus and should be a strong letter. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to over do it.
Also have a non-science one just for NSU.
I have 2 science, DO, and supervisor letters. Not sure if I should skip the supervisor one? It's for an academic tutoring like program on campus and should be a strong letter. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to over do it.
Also have a non-science one just for NSU.
I know someone mentioned this already, but for science classes with the labs included but not specified, did anyone add "(and lab)" to the course title AND have it verified (i.e., accepted)?
Thx!
Thx!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I asked an AACOMAs rep if we should do this and they said no. I guess it's only for AMCAS.I know someone mentioned this already, but for science classes with the labs included but not specified, did anyone add "(and lab)" to the course title AND have it verified (i.e., accepted)?
Thx!
Is it okay if I submit before all my letters are in and my transcripts are received? My friend was telling me that the letters can still be added after I submit. I've already requested all my transcripts, just waiting for them to be processed.
For those who got their transcript received, how long did verification take? Mine was done really quick but my sister is freaking out. She had one more transcript than I did but hers still shows "verifying"
Does anyone think its worth it to delay my app for a DO letter? I already have DO shadowing but have an MD letter from when I was working as a scribe.
yea
Does anyone think its worth it to delay my app for a DO letter? I already have DO shadowing but have an MD letter from when I was working as a scribe.
Why not just submit the DO letter later?
Might be a dumb question but when entering individual classes in to satisfy school's specific prereqs and you have more than enough biology credits to satisfy the requirement, should you put in classes you did better in? I have 4 regrettable credits of a freshman biology class I got a C in that I've been listing, should I replace that with an upper level endocrinology class I took that and did better in?
I asked an AACOMAs rep if we should do this and they said no. I guess it's only for AMCAS.
Okay, thank you!
yes. if you click on transcript history, it says at the top. not a dumb question IMOso i might have a dumb question
when you enter repeated coursework, for the first attempt, do you enter 0 credits and then the grade you got? and then the second time, enter the number of credits and the new grade?
"If you repeated a course, mark the first attempt and each additional attempt at the same or a different institution as “Repeated”. Do not mark withdrawn attempts as a repeated course. Make sure you have entered 0.00 credits for the initial attempts. Only the final attempt should receive full credit value."
Also I'm not able to add my upcoming June MCAT as a test I plan to take. My April MCAT was added with no problems.Might be a dumb question but when entering individual classes in to satisfy school's specific prereqs and you have more than enough biology credits to satisfy the requirement, should you put in classes you did better in? I have 4 regrettable credits of a freshman biology class I got a C in that I've been listing, should I replace that with an upper level endocrinology class I took that and did better in?
LOL, to quote wiki which is why I'm worried,And in most instances behavioral science includes sociology, anthropology, psychology, community health, and cultural studies classes - check with the school on individual restrictions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_sciences
"The term behavioural sciences is often confused with the term social sciences. Though these two broad areas are interrelated and study systematic processes of behaviour, they differ on their level of scientific analysis of various dimensions of behaviour.
Behavioural sciences abstract empirical data to investigate the decision processes and communication strategies within and between organisms in a social system. This involves fields like psychology, social neuroscience and cognitive science.
In contrast, social sciences provide a perceptive framework to study the processes of a social system through impacts of social organisation on structural adjustment of the individual and of groups. They typically include fields like sociology, economics, public health, anthropology, demography and political science.[1]"
I received a scholarship and the foundation wrote a little blurb about me. Should I add the link in the achievement box?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are you supposed to put for Status (Full-time, part-time, temporary)?
For example, I did a REU, where I was full-time in the lab for 2 months. Should I list this as temporary or full-time? How about volunteer things I do for 4 hours per week? I'm guessing this qualifies as part-time?
I guess my question is when do I use the "Temporary" status for an experience?
For example, I did a REU, where I was full-time in the lab for 2 months. Should I list this as temporary or full-time? How about volunteer things I do for 4 hours per week? I'm guessing this qualifies as part-time?
I guess my question is when do I use the "Temporary" status for an experience?
Don't delay the app!Does anyone think its worth it to delay my app for a DO letter? I already have DO shadowing but have an MD letter from when I was working as a scribe.
What are you supposed to put for Status (Full-time, part-time, temporary)?
For example, I did a REU, where I was full-time in the lab for 2 months. Should I list this as temporary or full-time? How about volunteer things I do for 4 hours per week? I'm guessing this qualifies as part-time?
I guess my question is when do I use the "Temporary" status for an experience?
It is evident that it was for 2 months when you enter the start date and end date, so doesn't seem necessary to put temporary. However, they will also know you worked full time when you enter the number of hours you did per week. So, I suppose it is redundant either way. I'd probably just put full-time.
When entering courses, in the instructions it says: "You MAY abbreviate your course title if it does not fit into the space provided and it is clear that it corresponds with the title listed on your transcript, i.e. “Anat and Phys I.” You may NOT enter abbreviations which are vague or misleading, i.e. “Bio.".
Does that mean you SHOULD abbreviate certain things. For example, Organic Chemistry 1 does not quite fit and appears as "Organic Chemistry". Would it be wise to abbreviate it to Organic Chem 1, so that the distinction between 1 and 2 can be made?
Does that mean you SHOULD abbreviate certain things. For example, Organic Chemistry 1 does not quite fit and appears as "Organic Chemistry". Would it be wise to abbreviate it to Organic Chem 1, so that the distinction between 1 and 2 can be made?
LOL, to quote wiki which is why I'm worried,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_sciences
"The term behavioural sciences is often confused with the term social sciences. Though these two broad areas are interrelated and study systematic processes of behaviour, they differ on their level of scientific analysis of various dimensions of behaviour.
Behavioural sciences abstract empirical data to investigate the decision processes and communication strategies within and between organisms in a social system. This involves fields like psychology, social neuroscience and cognitive science.
In contrast, social sciences provide a perceptive framework to study the processes of a social system through impacts of social organisation on structural adjustment of the individual and of groups. They typically include fields like sociology, economics, public health, anthropology, demography and political science.[1]"
Hi there. Relax you've some time to get the answers provided AACOMAS gets back to you in a timely fashion (still waiting on a response for my questions so I can hit the button to submit). I understand the difference as defined by wikipedia and have taken classes from a spectrum of fields including sociology, public health, economics, anthropology, and public policy and had cognitive science/biobehavioral health/neuroscience theory in some of my other classes (i guess it helps if you double major in cultural studies and biochem then go for MPH). I see your concerns but I am basing my assumptions on what is acceptable for behavioral science from the list of classes indicated by AACOMAS and AMCAS instructions under the category headings for classification purposes. But as I said in my previous post when in doubt check with individual schools you are applying to for their criteria and if you have other concerns. happy application writing/good luck
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-history-2/aacomas-course-subjects/index.html
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf see page 40
Hi I have a few questions, sorry if they have been asked before....
1. Regarding your academic year, I studied in a community college for 3 years, transferred to a Univeristy, graudated in 2 years. According to AACOMAS instructions, I was told to put my last two years in the university both as "Senior", even though I was techincally a "Junior " and "Senior". So my first 3 years in the CC were "Freshman", "Soph", "Junior". IS THIS CORRECT ? (some people have suggested to go by your class units to assign your academic year)
2. I took a biostatistics course and received an A, but the course was under the department of Public Health, and the course number reflected that. Can I list this course as an Public Health credit ? The reason is that I want this grade to be factored into sGPA....... (biostatistics is under Math, whic is non-science)
3. What do they mean by Summer I and Summer II ?
4. How does AACOMAS categorize summer semesters in terms of school year ? lets say, will a course taken in Summer 2010 considered to be the first semester of school year 2010-2011 ? or is it considered to be the last semester of 2009-2010 ?
5. Regarding experiences. In the descriptions/key responsibilities, is okay to use bullet points ?.......
6. AACOMAS informed that one of my school's transcript has arrived..... but how can i view it in the application ? The email says go to Manage My Programs>Program Status> Hover your mouse on information icon...... When I get to Program Status, it seems empty, it only says "You have not yet submitted your application to any Programs."
Thank you !!!!!
1. Regarding your academic year, I studied in a community college for 3 years, transferred to a Univeristy, graudated in 2 years. According to AACOMAS instructions, I was told to put my last two years in the university both as "Senior", even though I was techincally a "Junior " and "Senior". So my first 3 years in the CC were "Freshman", "Soph", "Junior". IS THIS CORRECT ? (some people have suggested to go by your class units to assign your academic year)
2. I took a biostatistics course and received an A, but the course was under the department of Public Health, and the course number reflected that. Can I list this course as an Public Health credit ? The reason is that I want this grade to be factored into sGPA....... (biostatistics is under Math, whic is non-science)
3. What do they mean by Summer I and Summer II ?
4. How does AACOMAS categorize summer semesters in terms of school year ? lets say, will a course taken in Summer 2010 considered to be the first semester of school year 2010-2011 ? or is it considered to be the last semester of 2009-2010 ?
5. Regarding experiences. In the descriptions/key responsibilities, is okay to use bullet points ?.......
6. AACOMAS informed that one of my school's transcript has arrived..... but how can i view it in the application ? The email says go to Manage My Programs>Program Status> Hover your mouse on information icon...... When I get to Program Status, it seems empty, it only says "You have not yet submitted your application to any Programs."
Thank you !!!!!
How do I indicate a repeated experience? In AMCAS, there is a button for "Repeated?", which allows you to enter additional dates. In AACOMAS, there's no such option. For example, I worked at a job for 16 months and came back to the job as a contractor a few months later for another duration. I also tutored as part of a program for a few months, took time off, and then started tutoring again recently. How can I indicate these repeated experiences?
For activities for which I'm still involved, what should I put for "Number of Weeks"? Should I put the expected number of weeks I'll be involved in the activity, or should I put the weeks I have completed at the point when I submit my application?
Is it a good idea to group similar activities under one experience entry? For example, I worked several jobs in undergrad. Can I just make one entry called "Undergraduate Work Experience" and then put all my jobs under that entry? Or should I just list every undergraduate job as a separate entry?
How about for shadowing? I have several one-day shadowing experiences. Can I just group all my shadowing experiences under one entry? Or should I create a separate entry for each?
In AMCAS, I grouped my experiences, but not sure if I should similarly group for my experiences in AACOMAS!
How about for shadowing? I have several one-day shadowing experiences. Can I just group all my shadowing experiences under one entry? Or should I create a separate entry for each?
In AMCAS, I grouped my experiences, but not sure if I should similarly group for my experiences in AACOMAS!
Hey everyone, so I hope these questions haven't been asked yet, any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) If we are only sending LOR's via Interfolio, do we select "I am not adding any evaluations"?
2) None of the 3 colleges I attended include the word "lab" in my transcripts for lab courses. Should I write the word "lab" in the transcript entry, or let it just say the course name? How would ADCOMS know there was a lab component to the course if I don't do this?
1) If we are only sending LOR's via Interfolio, do we select "I am not adding any evaluations"?
2) None of the 3 colleges I attended include the word "lab" in my transcripts for lab courses. Should I write the word "lab" in the transcript entry, or let it just say the course name? How would ADCOMS know there was a lab component to the course if I don't do this?
Hey everyone, so I hope these questions haven't been asked yet, any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) If we are only sending LOR's via Interfolio, do we select "I am not adding any evaluations"?
2) None of the 3 colleges I attended include the word "lab" in my transcripts for lab courses. Should I write the word "lab" in the transcript entry, or let it just say the course name? How would ADCOMS know there was a lab component to the course if I don't do this?
1) Yes.
2) I did not, and I imagine that you would just show them course descriptions after acceptance. Pre-req verification is part of the matriculation, not application process.
It's up to you. I put multiple.I have shadowing at a few different locations do we compile it into 1 shadowing experience or multiple?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To anyone that is not using AACOMAS at all for letters, when do you plan on sending your letters to individual schools? After primary is submitted? verified? secondaries given out? I'm trying to consider all of my options.
I am waiting until the school gets my primary, so they have a place to put the letters.
Western U for example:
"You may submit your letters of recommendation after you receive confirmation that we have received your primary application. We prefer that the letters be sent electronically via VirtualEvals or Interfolio. Letters sent by mail should be sent to the Enrollment Data Services Office/DO Program by the recommender or by the health professions advising office staff on your campus at WesternU, 309 E. Second Street, Pomona, CA 91766. We do not accept letters of recommendation via email."
Does/Has anyone get/gotten this error message when they try and download their PDF application under the program's tab:
" {"status":"500","messages":[{"message":"A system error occurred, Please contact system administrator."}]} ""
" {"status":"500","messages":[{"message":"A system error occurred, Please contact system administrator."}]} ""
Is anyone listing certifications (CPR & first aid etc.) in the achievements section? If so, under what category? I have it under honors right now, but I am not sure if it belongs there.
I am curious about this also.
I am curious about this also.
Likewise I believe cpr-fhcp is a little weak to list on the app, but I called aacomas with regards to certs and licenses and they said it is at your discretion to list it as an award or exp and the details therein.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K