*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2015-2016 *~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This may be a repeat question, but did anyone who submitted notice that no transcripts were received? My other app services have received a few transcripts, but AACOMAS shows none. Will they not have been entered until I submitted?

I submit my transcripts last week and I got an email and notification saying that they had been received. I just submit my application about 30 min ago.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are we allowed to submit our primary application w/o having letters of recommendation in yet? I'm anticipating a 1-2 month wait for my prehealth committee evaluation to be sent out, but will most likely have everything else completed earlier than that
 
Thanks.

Can you confirm that this happened prior to you submitting an application?

I got a confirmation that they received one of my transcripts prior to submitting, my app isn't even finished actually.

3-5 days of processing on the school's end and up to 10 after AACOMAS gets it, not to mention shipping time... I'm kind of surprised anyone has all of their transcripts already, ordering mine was literally the first thing I did on the afternoon of the 5th and only one of my five is there.
 
up to 10 after AACOMAS gets it

I see, this is very helpful. So it took them quite some time after the mail got there to actually post it as received?

This may quell may fears a little, as my earliest received transcripts (requested at the same time) were received by AMCAS yesterday.
 
I see, this is very helpful. So it took them quite some time after the mail got there to actually post it as received?

This may quell may fears a little, as my earliest received transcripts (requested at the same time) were received by AMCAS yesterday.

All my transcripts were received in 3 days and I have not submitted yet. I received both an email notification as well as a notification on my ACCOMAS profile when each were uploaded. Don't worry, they'll get them
 
What is a scribe to do for shadowing experience since scribing is pretty much shadowing? How do you guys phrase it?
 
Hello. I'm a reapplicant this year. I'm retaking summer courses and the first summer session won't be done until 7/6. Since academic update doesn't happen until September, is it better to submit early to those schools or wait until those grades come out and add the schools? I missed the sGPA cutoff for KCUMB and CUSOM and assuming I get an A this time, it would put me above that cutoff. I don't want to risk being rejected, even though they would see I'm retaking the classes, but I don't want to be late either. Would it be possible to update the schools individually before the official academic update?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is a scribe to do for shadowing experience since scribing is pretty much shadowing? How do you guys phrase it?

I put healthcare experience. Are you paid? I put compensated for the check box, and then more or less described my duties as a scribe. Hopefully this answers your question...
 
@MrTaco92 I'm pretty sure you can submit primary without LORs since LORs are part of secondaries...can someone confirm this?

This is what AACOMAS told me:

"Hi!

Thank you for contacting AACOMAS!

This is the first year Evaluations are being accepted through the AACOMAS
application. Submitting Evaluations through the ACCOMAS application is
completely optional. Schools will allow applicants to submit them either online
through AACOMAS or directly to them. Interfolio and VirtualEvals should be sent
directly to the schools."

They never explicitly say you can be verified without submitting LORs, but I submit my application last night and I didn't submit any through them. Also, I would assume you can be verified w/o LORs since they do mention they are optional. If anyone has any further info to share that would be awesome 🙂
 
Quick question, everyone. I have multiple degrees from my university (B.S., grad certificate, M.S.) and for AMCAS I had to submit two transcripts, one for undergrad and one for grad school, would AACOMAS require the same thing or can I get away with just sending the one that has everything included? I figured I could just send one because there are no instructions saying to request 2 separate transcripts. Thanks!
 
I see, this is very helpful. So it took them quite some time after the mail got there to actually post it as received?

This may quell may fears a little, as my earliest received transcripts (requested at the same time) were received by AMCAS yesterday.

I ordered and sent mine from my UG the morning of the 8th via mail. Not sure how I they received them so quickly, but I only had one transcript if that makes a difference
 
For experiences, did you all include the hours you have done, or total you will have when completed if the activity is ongoing?
 
For experiences, did you all include the hours you have done, or total you will have when completed if the activity is ongoing?

I was planning on submitting total hours I will have completed by the time I'm done with an activity. That seems like what many applicants have done in the past. Any further verification of this would be nice though.
 
I was planning on submitting total hours I will have completed by the time I'm done with an activity. That seems like what many applicants have done in the past. Any further verification of this would be nice though.
I put how many hours I had completed but in the description I put that I plan to have an additional X hours by the time school starts.
 
I heard osteopathic schools wont start looking at applications until June 15. Is this true? How long does it take AACOMAS to verify your application? 4 weeks or 6 weeks?
 
I've gotten to point in my application where I have finished everything. All of it is checked off, but when I go to the Manage My Programs tab, I am unable to pay for them to submit the application. Anybody else having this issue or know why i'm having this issue? The progress bar on each program isn't complete either, but I have completed the entire application. Any help with the matter is greatly appreciated!
Have you had any luck? I am having the same problem.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question! I am quite unsure about the specific start date and end date for 2 of my jobs. I know the month + year for sure. Will this bite me later?

Another question: When I select prereq courses at the end off the app, do I choose any class I want that is under Biology or should I just stick to elementary Bio 100/101 courses? I am confused because for CUSOM they state to put in

Select Your Biological Sciences Course

One Year with Laboratory-this includes all course work listed under Bio/Zoology and Genetics coursework*

So am I supposed to check every Bio class I took?..
 
Last edited:
Guys this is a very very stupid question.... but after I enter my course work ( I enter it in order it appears on my transcript) and save it, on the AACOMAS the courses appear not to be in order that I entered them in... Does this matter?Or am I being paranoid?
 
Guys this is a very very stupid question.... but after I enter my course work ( I enter it in order it appears on my transcript) and save it, on the AACOMAS the courses appear not to be in order that I entered them in... Does this matter?Or am I being paranoid?

Niticed that too. I believe it puts your next entry on top (ie in reverse) I dont think it's an issue so long as its in the right semester.
 
Niticed that too. I believe it puts your next entry on top (ie in reverse) I dont think it's an issue so long as its in the right semester.
Thanks! I noticed the order is different for me every time I refresh the page lol So hopefully it is no big deal.
 
You should be able to edit them once they are entered, at least it says in their Terms of Services.
" I will review all the coursework entries and either certify their accuracy or correct all errors before submitting coursework to any institution. I acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ensure that all coursework submissions are true, complete, and accurate."
Maybe you wont be able to enter the coursework manually until they are entered by Professional Transcript Entry, and then you can review it and correct?
I want to use this feature too, so other feedback would be nice.

They said it is locked til September and I can't do anything to it til then.
 
On my transcript organic chemistry is listed as "Chem 008: Prin of Organic Chem" do I list it exactly like that on the AACOMAS app or do I spell everything out? For example, should I list it as "Chem 008: Principles of Organic Chemistry" ?
The transcript abbreviates in order to make everything fit. What should I do?
 
On my transcript organic chemistry is listed as "Chem 008: Prin of Organic Chem" do I list it exactly like that on the AACOMAS app or do I spell everything out? For example, should I list it as "Chem 008: Principles of Organic Chemistry" ?
The transcript abbreviates in order to make everything fit. What should I do?

I can't quote it but aacomas faq said so long as the abbreviation was common or easily identifiable it was fine.
 
Similar question. For my physics classes it says on all 3 quarters general physics ( no I,II,III), same with the lab, just general physics lab for all three quarters. Following AACOMAS instructions I entered exactly as it is on the transcript... am I right?
 
I have a quick questions for you guys. I'm currently a scribe but am also applying for a leadership position (trainer) within my company. Is this something I should mention in the description since there is no place for planned activities?
 
I have a quick questions for you guys. I'm currently a scribe but am also applying for a leadership position (trainer) within my company. Is this something I should mention in the description since there is no place for planned activities?
I would save it for the secondaries.
 
I have a quick questions for you guys. I'm currently a scribe but am also applying for a leadership position (trainer) within my company. Is this something I should mention in the description since there is no place for planned activities?

I've already submitted my app and they allow you to add experiences after app submittal. I would maybe mention it now, but you can always add it after you get the position 🙂
 
How important do you guys think it is to fill out the contact information sections when listing activities? Since it says optional, and I don't believe it was even available in previous cycles, do you think it would be safe to leave it blank for all activities?

I could fill it out for some, but don't have accurate/up to date contact information for a few activities, and really have no way of getting it. I'm wondering if it would be better just to not list any, or list it for the ones I can and leave it blank for the others.

Another question:
Is this an experience worth listing? During summers throughout college I helped remodel houses, roofing, flooring, painting, that kind of stuff, but was just paid cash under the table. Does that matter? This is an example of one where I don't have the contact info for the guy that I used to work for.
 
I used the same strategy I do on resumes, list the most recent information you know.

I think your roofing work would be a great activity to list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for those who have submitted. I just submitted and it says:
To be verified "All required evaluations have been completed" Does That mean all of our letters of rec have to submitted before verification can begin? WHY?
 
Question for those who have submitted. I just submitted and it says:
To be verified "All required evaluations have been completed" Does That mean all of our letters of rec have to submitted before verification can begin? WHY?

No letters don't have to be in to be verified.
 
this is gonna sound reeeeeeely stupid

regarding entering grades:

if i took an undergraduate course named "Genetics" in my transcript, do i select "genetics" or "biology" under subject list?

Are all those very specific course in subject list for graduate schools?

Would my undergrad courses "Molecular Basis/Human Disease" and "AIDS Science and Society" be under the subject "Disease" or should I go with Biology to be safe
 
Status
Not open for further replies.