*~*~* Official AACOMAS Questions Thread 2018-2019 *~*~*

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by chizledfrmstone, Jun 21, 2018.

1. chizledfrmstone

chizledfrmstone Enjoying the finer things in life
    Administrator Moderator Physician

Medical Student
    This thread will open at the opening of the 2018-2019 application cycle.

Please use this thread to ask any questions specific to the AACOMAS application.

Ask away and good luck!

Last years AACOMAS question page is right here.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. xkb89

Pre-Medical
    This is regarding AACOMAS Course Subjects when you select your prerequisite courses for each program.

I have taken multiple of English courses, with some grades higher than others. Am I supposed to select all of them or can I selectively choose the ones with the higher grades?

4. futurezzmed

How will I know if my MCAT or LOR have been sent to the individual schools? on AACOMAS, it says they have been completed and received for mcat and LOR respectively. However, I am still getting e-mails about my MCAT not being sent yet? What should I do?

5. physiciandreams

Pre-Medical
    I am retaking my MCAT at the end of July and am waiting to receive that score before submitting my applications. However, I did submit my application to a throwaway school to get verified and they sent me a secondary. Do I wait until August when I get my score back to submit the secondary or should I submit it now?

6. indiRanger

Do you need all of your LORs to be in for AACOMAS to verify?

7. physiciandreams

Pre-Medical
    I don't believe you do, you just indicate a deadline for the LORs to be submitted.

8. Rapha

Pre-Medical
    For "Prior Career" it has a drop-down list and asks: "Which choice best describes your prior career/experience?"

I graduated from college but have worked as a lab tech and then as a tutor during my gap year; should I put student since that was relatively recent/I did for a longer time or put down Other (non-health related) since I was most recently a tutor?

(P.S. I searched for this in SDN, but wasn't able to find answers...)

9. Rae26

Pre-Medical
    So I paid for the professional transcript entry and I messed up and didn't read the directions about entering the planned courses prior to paying for the PTE. They told me that I can add them after my application if verified, will I still be able to get verified without a few of my prerequisites in?

10. lilsebastian18

Pre-Medical
    So my university collects all of my letters from professors/physicians that I have requested and combines it with a committee letter to make a packet. When I submitted AACOMAS, I only included an evaluation request for my committee letter and not the other 4 letters I also have. Even though the entire packet was uploaded together, did I need to add individual evaluations request?

11. Starbuxian

Starbuxian SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    Mu UG institution does the same and sent out specific instructions NOT to include additional letters (that were part of the committee packet) and add them as individual letters. In your case, all 4 letters and the committee letter are the "packet" and will be sent, so no need for extra duplication.

lilsebastian18 likes this.
  12. bballchick89

bballchick89 No, I don't play ball.

Pre-Medical
    I was awarded an international fellowship which was cancelled last-minute due to political conflict. Should I include this as an award in my achievements section even though I didn't actually get to do it?

(It also explains a couple months when I wasn't employed while I tried to figure out something new.)

13. esob

esob Protomolecule
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Pre-Medical
    My application status shows "complete" on the AACOMAS website for the schools that I have submitted to thus far, but I haven't received an email from any of them yet confirming receipt of the application. Is this normal? All the TMDSAS schools sent emails when they rec'd my application.

14. lilsebastian18

Pre-Medical
    It may take a few days for them from the time you’re complete to when they email. I heard they usually download apps from AACOMAS about once a week. The receipt emails come in the form of a secondary invite.

esob likes this.
  15. Dhooy7

Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    Anyone willing to lookover my secondaries?

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Starbuxian

Pre-Medical
    Sure, shoot them my way. But please expect transparency and honest criticism! :caution:

18. XOXO123

Pre-Medical
    Stupid question, on the family section of AACOMAS when it asks how many people were in your primary household other than your parents, does that include yourself?

Also, if I submit for verification will I be able to add a new letter entry later? My letter will come through interfolio so I can't create the letter request until it's in interfolio so that I have the interfolio-created email address. I've heard conflicting things about this

#16 XOXO123, Jul 10, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018 at 7:38 PM
  19. MotherofDragonflies

Who do you list as a supervisor? I don't want them contacting my job. Can I list myself?

20. esob

esob Protomolecule

Pre-Medical
    ** EDIT *** Just looked at their FAQ's and I guess this is right, but I'm still a bit bewildered because if there was any one thing I was sure of from my time browsing on SDN is was that only BCPM courses counted toward your sGPA. I guess you learn something new every day.

So AACOMAS counted my "allied health profession" (I think that is the term for nursing, emt, etc courses) into my science GPA. Is that correct? For years I have been reading on SDN that on BCPM were included in your science GPA and that health sciences classes were considered other classes. So, for example, I had a course for lab tech school that was a "clinical lab rotation" for a semester, which was counted into my science GPA. TMDSAS did not count these classes this way, so is this something AACOMAS does differently than the other services or is this a mistake and I need to ask them to look at it?

FWIW, I paid for the professional transcript entry because I had some repeat courses and I didn't feel like having my application held up because I entered something incorrectly.

21. XOXO123

Pre-Medical
    AACOMAS does things differently than AMCAS (and apparently TMDSAS, though I don't know anything about that). I have a lot of public health classes that AACOMAS will count for sGPA but AMCAS will not.

22. esob

esob Protomolecule

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, super bummed about that b/c it totally messes up my plan, but I guess it gives me a good reason to apply to a bunch more MD schools and remove some of the DO schools from my list instead.

23. Benjitheguineapig

Pre-Medical
    If I submit my application at the end of July is that too late?

24. Rae26

Pre-Medical
    So my application has been verified. Will a get a notice whenever it is received by the college as well or should I call the college to be sure that they received it?

Also about how long after submitting and getting verified should you get your secondary?

25. lilsebastian18

Pre-Medical
    Some schools will screen, so you may not hear immediately, but from what I’ve been told, schools usually download apps from AACOMAS at least once a week. I was verified way back in May, but I selected a new school last weekend and after the screen I got a secondary this morning.

26. Rae26

Pre-Medical

I just submitted about 2 weeks ago.
    It took about a week to get verified. I paid for the professional transcript entry so I think that's why it look longer because once I submitted they still had to add all of my courses. But I got verified on Monday/Tuesdayish. Should I call the school if I don't hear anything soon?

27. Starbuxian

Pre-Medical
    Patience, young grasshopper! :lol:

If schools are downloading apps from AACOMAS once a week, I'd wait at least 10-15 days before calling. In the meantime, start to pre-write those secondaries!

28. Rae26

Pre-Medical

Patience is not my strong suit hahahah.
    Are the secondaries typically standard?

29. Starbuxian

Pre-Medical
    Typically they are.. however there's no guarantee. Best to check in the secondaries thread for the next app cycle. That said, the themes won't vary much from the adversity, diversity, personal challenge.

30. YourFutureMD

Pre-Medical
    Yep! You should be able to add a new letter. Mine has been verified, and I just added a new letter entry. Also, I always wanted to know how to add an interfolio-created email address to add letters into AACOMAS?

31. YourFutureMD

Pre-Medical
    Nope. Anything before thanksgiving is considered early/on time for DO schools, since apparently the cycle is longer than that of MD schools. But earlier is always better.

32. XOXO123

Pre-Medical
    It's really easy actually, you just go into Interfolio and create a new delivery and select the option about delivering to an application service, select your letter, and then select that the service uses email addresses for requests, and then Interfolio will create its own email address that you can copy and paste into AACOMAS when you make the letter entry. Then when AACOMAS sends the request to that email, Interfolio uploads the letter for you!

YourFutureMD likes this.
  33. YourFutureMD

Pre-Medical
    Wow! Thanks so much!

34. NicoleBryant