*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about an audit class that I took. So the summer after my freshman year I enrolled in an O Chem I audit class at Tufts. A lot of the students at my school complained about our O Chem class and I figured it would be a smart idea. However I stopped going to the class after two weeks once I secured a full time job and did not really even use the material since I didn't even end up taking O Chem until my junior year. The ironic thing is that it was my favorite science and I was stupid to listen to others at the time of enrolling. Anyways, I never received any transcripts regarding the class. I was given a net ID to enroll but my school (NYU) does not list it on my transcript. I don't even remember what my login was for school, as I audited about 3 years ago. I'm not sure if I should list this on my AMCAS? I understand that they say to list all classes enrolled in, but I never received credit and did not even attend for the full semester. I never took tests or quizzes. I just merely sat in the back of the class. My only concern is that an AdCom will look and see that I audited and undermine my A in Orgo I and II at my school.

KK sorry this was a long post. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much
 
Hey, this PS is driving me crazy...First I had too little words and changed it and now I have way too many words and I'm not sure with the rules mean by about 5000 characters?

So does it have to be 5000 characters with words and spaces?

or 5000 words not counting characters/spaces?

How many pages double spaced Times New Roman should it generally be?

I don't want to do a bad job on something that can make or break an applicant's chances...

Thanks in advance.
 
Definitely not 5000 words. Can you imagine the adcoms sifting through a couple thousand 10 page essays? The application cycle might end up taking a couple years :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The instruction manual is quite explicit about the limits on your personal statement. I don't understand your confusion. From page 62:

The space for this essay is 5300 characters, or approximately one page. You will receive an error message if you exceed the space available.
The formatting of this section does not allow indentation; therefore extra spaces can be included between paragraphs. Spaces are counted as characters.
 
yes, the person above is right i think. 5300 characters (so including spaces). idk about times new roman but if you do aerial 9.5 single space, then it is about a page.
 
If I take the May 20th MCAT and check that date off on my AMCAS application and submit it for verification on June 1st, can I change the application at all? If I do poorly on the May 20th, I'd like to take the test again, but will I be able to change my application if I reschedule the test?
 
Once your application is submitted and verified, you won't be able to change most of the app with the exception of basic contact/demographic info.

and you can add new letter of recommendation and schools... but I think that that makes you have to go through the verification process again.
 
On page 70 of the instruction manual is a list of what you are allowed to change after you have submitted your application. I've emphasized the relevant part for the OP with respect to adding a new MCAT date.

  • Required and Alternate IDs.
  • Name, including Full Legal Name, Preferred Name, and Alternate Names.
  • Contact Information including Permanent and Preferred Mailing Addresses.
  • Alternate Contact Information.
  • Date of Birth and Sex.
  • Letters of Evaluation (only additions of up to 10 letters and notifying AMCAS of a letter no longer being sent).
  • Next MCAT testing date.
  • Add Medical Schools and change existing Program type (deadlines and restrictions apply).
  • Release application information to your pre-health advisor.
 
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about an audit class that I took. So the summer after my freshman year I enrolled in an O Chem I audit class at Tufts. A lot of the students at my school complained about our O Chem class and I figured it would be a smart idea. However I stopped going to the class after two weeks once I secured a full time job and did not really even use the material since I didn't even end up taking O Chem until my junior year. The ironic thing is that it was my favorite science and I was stupid to listen to others at the time of enrolling. Anyways, I never received any transcripts regarding the class. I was given a net ID to enroll but my school (NYU) does not list it on my transcript. I don't even remember what my login was for school, as I audited about 3 years ago. I'm not sure if I should list this on my AMCAS? I understand that they say to list all classes enrolled in, but I never received credit and did not even attend for the full semester. I never took tests or quizzes. I just merely sat in the back of the class. My only concern is that an AdCom will look and see that I audited and undermine my A in Orgo I and II at my school.

KK sorry this was a long post. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much
You should read through the AMCAS instruction manual. Page 23 says
One (1) official transcript is required from each U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution at which you have attempted course work, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes but is not limited to:
College-level courses attempted while in high school, even if they did not count toward a degree at any college.
Colleges at which you originally attempted a course, even if transfer credit was subsequently accepted by another school.
Colleges where you registered but did not earn any credit (e.g., incompletes, withdrawals, failures, audits, etc.).
Courses that did not count toward a degree, regardless of whether credit was earned or transferred.
Extension programs through which you attempted courses, if a separate transcript is provided by the Extension Division.
Correspondence and home study programs. Military education. American schools overseas. U.S., U.S. Territorial, and Canadian medical schools.
Bolded part is relevant for you. So yes you have to include the audited class. Don't worry about how it will look for adcom's because you can't do anything about it now. It already happened and you are required to report it. I doubt they will care very much, though.
 
Include it, put audited. Doesn't do a damn thing. Are you sure the transcripts are blank though? At my school, the transcripts show if you audited a class. It says:

Class 4 credit hours No Credit/Audited

So call the school's registrar and ask if your transcripts show audited classes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, this PS is driving me crazy...First I had too little words and changed it and now I have way too many words and I'm not sure with the rules mean by about 5000 characters?

So does it have to be 5000 characters with words and spaces?

or 5000 words not counting characters/spaces?

How many pages double spaced Times New Roman should it generally be?

I don't want to do a bad job on something that can make or break an applicant's chances...

Thanks in advance.

Definitely not 5000 words. Can you imagine the adcoms sifting through a couple thousand 10 page essays? The application cycle might end up taking a couple years :laugh:

I think the limit is 5300 characters with spaces.

The instruction manual is quite explicit about the limits on your personal statement. I don't understand your confusion. From page 62:

yes, the person above is right i think. 5300 characters (so including spaces). idk about times new roman but if you do aerial 9.5 single space, then it is about a page.


Merging related threads
 
If I take the May 20th MCAT and check that date off on my AMCAS application and submit it for verification on June 1st, can I change the application at all? If I do poorly on the May 20th, I'd like to take the test again, but will I be able to change my application if I reschedule the test?

Once your application is submitted and verified, you won't be able to change most of the app with the exception of basic contact/demographic info.

and you can add new letter of recommendation and schools... but I think that that makes you have to go through the verification process again.

You have to "submit" your app and it has to be verified, but it doesn't take nearly as long as the initial verification process.

good to know

On page 70 of the instruction manual is a list of what you are allowed to change after you have submitted your application. I've emphasized the relevant part for the OP with respect to adding a new MCAT date.

Merging related threads
 
Yeah I read through the instruction manual and saw that. Just wanted to verify.
Thanks again.


You should read through the AMCAS instruction manual. Page 23 says

Bolded part is relevant for you. So yes you have to include the audited class. Don't worry about how it will look for adcom's because you can't do anything about it now. It already happened and you are required to report it. I doubt they will care very much, though.
 
Hi I'm having a problem with the coursework section.
Say I'm in college from 2007-2011 and I begin entering my Freshman
classes under 2007-2008 (Academic Year) the year in school only
allows me to choose high school. All other option all whited out so
as of right now all the classes I have listed for college has the "high school"
status of Year in School. If anyone has encountered this problem please help.
 
Because of financial concerns, I'm considering submitting my AMCAS application to some med schools around June 01, 2011, so I can get the verification process started, and then, when I get more money, submitting my AMCAS application a second time to additional med schools around June 07, 2011.

Would there be any risk to this arrangement?

How disadvantageous would it be, if I decide to submit my entire AMCAS application (only once) on June 07, compared with submission on June 01?

Thank you.
 
Because of financial concerns, I'm considering submitting my AMCAS application to some med schools around June 01, 2011, so I can get the verification process started, and then, when I get more money, submitting my AMCAS application a second time to additional med schools around June 07, 2011.

Would there be any risk to this arrangement?

How disadvantageous would it be, if I decide to submit my entire AMCAS application (only once) on June 07, compared with submission on June 01?

Thank you.

As long as you submit to one school, AMCAS will begin verifying at that time. Schools cannot see your application until June 17th anyway, so you WANT to get the verification started as early as possible. Adding more schools on the 7th will not harm you.
 
On page 70 of the instruction manual is a list of what you are allowed to change after you have submitted your application. I've emphasized the relevant part for the OP with respect to adding a new MCAT date.
Thank you!! I haven't been able to read the manual yet as I have been studying (ugh) So I know I have a lot to do after I take the test! Thanks Again for the reply!
 
I am currently working on my Master's Degree, but I won't have it finished until may 2012, how do I input the classes I am taking now towards my masters? I can't say I have earned the degree yet, so does it just look like classes??
 
I am currently working on my Master's Degree, but I won't have it finished until may 2012, how do I input the classes I am taking now towards my masters? I can't say I have earned the degree yet, so does it just look like classes??

You'd enter it the same as any other classes, except that you would assign a Year in School status of "GR."
 
Hi guys!
Sophomore year in high school I took general chem at a community college (easily got an A hahaha) and College of New Jersey (got a B or B+....i forgot!!) just for fun (I have no idea why my parents wanted me to take these courses lol). I never transferred my grades to Rutgers (my current university) or sent my transcript to Rutgers, and I got credit for chem from my 5 on the AP Chem exam.

I know the AMCAS says to send all transcripts, but how would they find out if I did not? I'm not saying I won't send them...but I'd rather not have to send that B grade from the College of New Jersey in a class I took when I was 12 🙁. If I don't send them, do you think anything bad will happen to my application or chances of getting accepted since I never used these courses for anything? Thanks a lot!!!
 
Hi guys!
Sophomore year in high school I took general chem at a community college (easily got an A hahaha) and College of New Jersey (got a B or B+....i forgot!!) just for fun (I have no idea why my parents wanted me to take these courses lol). I never transferred my grades to Rutgers (my current university) or sent my transcript to Rutgers, and I got credit for chem from my 5 on the AP Chem exam.

I know the AMCAS says to send all transcripts, but how would they find out if I did not? I'm not saying I won't send them...but I'd rather not have to send that B grade from the College of New Jersey in a class I took when I was 12 🙁. If I don't send them, do you think anything bad will happen to my application or chances of getting accepted since I never used these courses for anything? Thanks a lot!!!

Ya they will never find out if you don't send the transcript from a school you attended :laugh: please just search next time i'm sure the 200+ other threads on the exact same topic would answer your question.
 
Hi guys!
Sophomore year in high school I took general chem at a community college (easily got an A hahaha) and College of New Jersey (got a B or B+....i forgot!!) just for fun (I have no idea why my parents wanted me to take these courses lol). I never transferred my grades to Rutgers (my current university) or sent my transcript to Rutgers, and I got credit for chem from my 5 on the AP Chem exam.

I know the AMCAS says to send all transcripts, but how would they find out if I did not? I'm not saying I won't send them...but I'd rather not have to send that B grade from the College of New Jersey in a class I took when I was 12 🙁. If I don't send them, do you think anything bad will happen to my application or chances of getting accepted since I never used these courses for anything? Thanks a lot!!!

You HAVE to send transcripts from all institutions you have attended. AMCAS has a nasty little tool at its disposal called the Student Clearinghouse, which is used to check your enrollment status. If they find a discrepancy between the transcripts you have sent them and your actual enrollment records, your application will be delayed until you send them the missing transcript.
 
Question:

My undergrad was at school X, but during my undergrad I spent a summer taking a few courses at school Z.

Now I am in the Masters Program at school Z. The AMCAS stuff on transcripts is confusing me. When it asked for schools that I took classes in I listed my undergrad, then school Z undergrad, and a separate entry for school Z masters program. In each of these school entries they asked if they will be getting a transcript, and I said yes the will.

Okay, so far so good.

But now I'm printing off transcript request forums and I realized my AMCAS has two separate entries for school Z, but they will only be getting one transcript (obviously one transcript from the school will cover both). Won't that confuse the AMCAS? I said they should receive 3 transcripts but only two are going to be mailed.

I mean, I guess I could go back and change it to say they should only expect 2 transcripts (say that they should NOT be expecting a transcript from the school when I just took my summer courses). But then I imagine AMCAS would not be happy with me for saying they won't be getting a transcript for those classes :laugh:

Anyway, its long question but I think its pretty easy to answer... hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say
 
Question:

My undergrad was at school X, but during my undergrad I spent a summer taking a few courses at school Z.

Now I am in the Masters Program at school Z. The AMCAS stuff on transcripts is confusing me. When it asked for schools that I took classes in I listed my undergrad, then school Z undergrad, and a separate entry for school Z masters program. In each of these school entries they asked if they will be getting a transcript, and I said yes the will.

Okay, so far so good.

But now I'm printing off transcript request forums and I realized my AMCAS has two separate entries for school Z, but they will only be getting one transcript (obviously one transcript from the school will cover both). Won't that confuse the AMCAS? I said they should receive 3 transcripts but only two are going to be mailed.

I mean, I guess I could go back and change it to say they should only expect 2 transcripts (say that they should NOT be expecting a transcript from the school when I just took my summer courses). But then I imagine AMCAS would not be happy with me for saying they won't be getting a transcript for those classes :laugh:

Anyway, its long question but I think its pretty easy to answer... hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to say

This question has been asked before in this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You HAVE to send transcripts from all institutions you have attended. AMCAS has a nasty little tool at its disposal called the Student Clearinghouse, which is used to check your enrollment status. If they find a discrepancy between the transcripts you have sent them and your actual enrollment records, your application will be delayed until you send them the missing transcript.

And you pray to God that they find out at this stage instead of after your acceptance. I believe that if they find out later, it is grounds for {revoking your acceptance, dismissal, degree withdrawal}.
 
I have a question. I just looked at my academic record and one of my grades is missing for a class I took this spring. Problem is, I already sent off my transcripts. Do I just resend them when the grade comes in?
 
I have a question. I just looked at my academic record and one of my grades is missing for a class I took this spring. Problem is, I already sent off my transcripts. Do I just resend them when the grade comes in?

Yep! It sucks, but it's what you need to do 🙂
 
Hi guys!
Sophomore year in high school I took general chem at a community college (easily got an A hahaha) and College of New Jersey (got a B or B+....i forgot!!) just for fun (I have no idea why my parents wanted me to take these courses lol). I never transferred my grades to Rutgers (my current university) or sent my transcript to Rutgers, and I got credit for chem from my 5 on the AP Chem exam.

I know the AMCAS says to send all transcripts, but how would they find out if I did not? I'm not saying I won't send them...but I'd rather not have to send that B grade from the College of New Jersey in a class I took when I was 12 🙁. If I don't send them, do you think anything bad will happen to my application or chances of getting accepted since I never used these courses for anything? Thanks a lot!!!

Like others have said, you need to send them all transcripts from ANY post secondary institution. They WILL find out, one way or another....

Ya they will never find out if you don't send the transcript from a school you attended :laugh: please just search next time i'm sure the 200+ other threads on the exact same topic would answer your question.

I assume this is sarcasm lol...For the OP's sake and mine, you might want to use one of these next time.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET9R4I4a9YE[/YOUTUBE]
 
So, I have two classes remaining in my math minor but have not officially declared the minor yet. Should I still say that I am a math minor even though it is not officially declared on my transcript? I am afraid that amcas may delay my application if they don't see a math minor on my official transcript.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
 
A few questions about entering course work:

1. What's the difference between trimesters and quarters, since according to the drop-down menu on AMCAS, both systems include terms for fall, winter, spring, and summer?

3. What if a student takes more than 35 credits during a given academic year and obtains higher class standing? For instance, last year my university considered me a "senior" since I had over 90 credit hours, while I considered myself to be a "junior" since it was my third year. Should I list classes taken during my third year as JR or SR? How picky is AMCAS about the class standing designations?

4. What if some of the titles of my courses are abbreviated on the official transcript, but appear in their full form in the course atlas? For instance, one of my schools abbreviates "Introduction to General Biology" to "Intro Gen Bio" on the transcript. Which version should I use for the course title?

5. For classes taken during high school for which I received dual-enrollment credit, is there any place to indicate that these classes were not actually taken at the college, even though they appear on that college's transcript? At one college, I took some classes in person at the school and others at my high school for dual-enrollment, so I'm wondering if I need to differentiate between them.

Thanks!
 
I assume this is sarcasm lol...For the OP's sake and mine, you might want to use one of these next time.

[YOUTUBE]ET9R4I4a9YE[/YOUTUBE]

It's okay hahaha. I got the sarcasm. I will send in all of my transcripts also, in case anyone who comes by with a similar dilemma wonders what my final course of action was. It isn't really that bad (I mean, there are people who got F's lol) so I would definitely rather they find out now than kick me out later.
 
Hey guys

My MCAT will be expiring this year and it will be my third year applying. For reasons I won't elaborate on here, I have only recently decided to reapply, and as all of you know, the cycle for this year has already started. When is the latest I can take the MCAT and still send the scores into the AMCAS?

Thanks in advance
 
latest you CAN is probably september, but no one here would recommend it. there is a lot of discussion about july/august and whether they are 'too late' (they're not technically but you are lower in the pack to be reviewed). it seems a lot of people still take in june (they submit amcas with their future mcat listed then have the scores sent on when they come in... so their amcas is all verified and only waiting on mcat). just my feelings based on perusing the forums.
 
Hey guys

My MCAT will be expiring this year and it will be my third year applying. For reasons I won't elaborate on here, I have only recently decided to reapply, and as all of you know, the cycle for this year has already started. When is the latest I can take the MCAT and still send the scores into the AMCAS?

Thanks in advance

If this will be your third time applying, you really need to put together your application perfectly and sell yourself extremely well with your new experiences. That means you need to submit right off the bat and be in the first batch of applicants that are verified. That will not be possible if you take a later MCAT.

This may be an extreme stance, and I typically disagree with those who say early June is a must, but as a re-applicant it is imperative to have everything in early and be complete as soon as possible, so I can't recommend applying this year if you haven't taken the MCAT yet. You need to address every possible factor as to why your previous two cycles were unsuccessful. If you take a September MCAT date, and aren't complete at schools until November then you'll be putting yourself behind the eight ball. The applicants who apply late and are successful tend to be those that are otherwise superstar applicants in every other regard to their application.

If you are set on this path and want to apply then my recommendation is to study hard for the rest of this summer and take a late August date and get everything in order so that you can apply at the start of the next cycle.
 
Hey guys

My MCAT will be expiring this year and it will be my third year applying. For reasons I won't elaborate on here, I have only recently decided to reapply, and as all of you know, the cycle for this year has already started. When is the latest I can take the MCAT and still send the scores into the AMCAS?

Thanks in advance

latest you CAN is probably september, but no one here would recommend it. there is a lot of discussion about july/august and whether they are 'too late' (they're not technically but you are lower in the pack to be reviewed). it seems a lot of people still take in june (they submit amcas with their future mcat listed then have the scores sent on when they come in... so their amcas is all verified and only waiting on mcat). just my feelings based on perusing the forums.

If this will be your third time applying, you really need to put together your application perfectly and sell yourself extremely well with your new experiences. That means you need to submit right off the bat and be in the first batch of applicants that are verified. That will not be possible if you take a later MCAT.

This may be an extreme stance, and I typically disagree with those who say early June is a must, but as a re-applicant it is imperative to have everything in early and be complete as soon as possible, so I can't recommend applying this year if you haven't taken the MCAT yet. You need to address every possible factor as to why your previous two cycles were unsuccessful. If you take a September MCAT date, and aren't complete at schools until November then you'll be putting yourself behind the eight ball. The applicants who apply late and are successful tend to be those that are otherwise superstar applicants in every other regard to their application.

If you are set on this path and want to apply then my recommendation is to study hard for the rest of this summer and take a late August date and get everything in order so that you can apply at the start of the next cycle.

Merging with the AMCAS thread
 
Hey guys,

So I did a 4th year research project (September - April) and it's now being presented in a poster format by my professor at a conference. On AMCAS, do I list this as Research/Lab or Poster/Presentation. I'll also be continuing this project through the summer to finish it up

Thanks!
 
I tried searching for this and sorry if I missed it:

I took a few courses at a CC (which I got grades for and will be submitting) as a high school student.

Some were summer school, some were during the school year.

My questions are:

1. Do I list this as "Junior College" (Of the 4 types available)

2. Should I select this as "Summer School Only"?

Thank you!

Another question. My major isn't specifically listed, but parts of it are. Should I just select other and write it in? (Molecular and Cell Biology isn't listed, but "Molecular Biology" is)
 
Merging related threads
Hi guys!
Sophomore year in high school I took general chem at a community college (easily got an A hahaha) and College of New Jersey (got a B or B+....i forgot!!) just for fun (I have no idea why my parents wanted me to take these courses lol). I never transferred my grades to Rutgers (my current university) or sent my transcript to Rutgers, and I got credit for chem from my 5 on the AP Chem exam.

I know the AMCAS says to send all transcripts, but how would they find out if I did not? I'm not saying I won't send them...but I'd rather not have to send that B grade from the College of New Jersey in a class I took when I was 12 🙁. If I don't send them, do you think anything bad will happen to my application or chances of getting accepted since I never used these courses for anything? Thanks a lot!!!

Ya they will never find out if you don't send the transcript from a school you attended :laugh: please just search next time i'm sure the 200+ other threads on the exact same topic would answer your question.

You HAVE to send transcripts from all institutions you have attended. AMCAS has a nasty little tool at its disposal called the Student Clearinghouse, which is used to check your enrollment status. If they find a discrepancy between the transcripts you have sent them and your actual enrollment records, your application will be delayed until you send them the missing transcript.

And you pray to God that they find out at this stage instead of after your acceptance. I believe that if they find out later, it is grounds for {revoking your acceptance, dismissal, degree withdrawal}.

I have a question. I just looked at my academic record and one of my grades is missing for a class I took this spring. Problem is, I already sent off my transcripts. Do I just resend them when the grade comes in?

Like others have said, you need to send them all transcripts from ANY post secondary institution. They WILL find out, one way or another....



I assume this is sarcasm lol...For the OP's sake and mine, you might want to use one of these next time.

[YOUTUBE]ET9R4I4a9YE[/YOUTUBE]

It's okay hahaha. I got the sarcasm. I will send in all of my transcripts also, in case anyone who comes by with a similar dilemma wonders what my final course of action was. It isn't really that bad (I mean, there are people who got F's lol) so I would definitely rather they find out now than kick me out later.
 
I had one more quick question.

If I help tutor for a course, for hours per week, is it valid to include prep time for average hours a week? For example, I tutor for 1 hr, but also prep on average 1 hr per week. Would it be valid to list 2 hours/week, then in the description mention the breakdown?

Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had one more quick question.

If I help tutor for a course, for hours per week, is it valid to include prep time for average hours a week? For example, I tutor for 1 hr, but also prep on average 1 hr per week. Would it be valid to list 2 hours/week, then in the description mention the breakdown?

Thank you!

I feel like that's acceptable, but you might want to repost your question in this thread to get the attention of more knowledgeable people--er, felines.
 
This summer I will be taking a class at a community college. How to list this? Do I send in a transcript post completion? Naturally, I want to get my college stuff verified ASAP and submit 6/1 - 6/3
 
Phew, I just went through all 12 pages. Lots of good info in here. I still have a couple questions though that I just want to double check, even though I think I know the answer.

1. It's fine to submit my application early June even though my Spring grades will not be released until around June 15th. This quarter won't change my GPA much at all, and it does not include any prereqs, so I have no reason to wait, correct?

2. The class standing guidelines do NOT apply to me since I have been a full time student since starting college. Even though my college puts me as a Senior standing by units, I am still a 3rd year and so I put Junior on the AMCAS, right?

3. Last, I heard a couple different things on the forum, but I went with what I read in the manual. For AP courses, even though my transcript lists them as 06,07,08 (my high school years), I put them under my first freshman quarter during which the credits were transferred to my college. (fall 2008). This means for my Fall 2008 quarter I will have many classes, those which I took at my college and the several AP classes taken in high school.

Thanks!
 
Phew, I just went through all 12 pages. Lots of good info in here. I still have a couple questions though that I just want to double check, even though I think I know the answer.

1. It's fine to submit my application early June even though my Spring grades will not be released until around June 15th. This quarter won't change my GPA much at all, and it does not include any prereqs, so I have no reason to wait, correct?

2. The class standing guidelines do NOT apply to me since I have been a full time student since starting college. Even though my college puts me as a Senior standing by units, I am still a 3rd year and so I put Junior on the AMCAS, right?

3. Last, I heard a couple different things on the forum, but I went with what I read in the manual. For AP courses, even though my transcript lists them as 06,07,08 (my high school years), I put them under my first freshman quarter during which the credits were transferred to my college. (fall 2008). This means for my Fall 2008 quarter I will have many classes, those which I took at my college and the several AP classes taken in high school.

Thanks!

1. People are debating what to do with Spring grades in another thread -- I'm surprised it hasn't come up with a definitive answer in the past -- but it appears it is acceptable to put the courses as current/future and then update each school with your grades when they are ready. You can double check by calling AMCAS yourself but I already ordered my transcript without Spring grades so to be ready ASAP. This past semester will lift my GPA slightly, but didn't want to be at the hands of my registrar office to get paperwork out on time.

2. I believe that if you are graduating in the traditional 4 year manner, yes you would put classes in the standard configuration (i.e your 3rd year second semester would still be Junior year regardless of how many credits you have). Again, something you can check with AMCAS if you call about spring grades.

3. Yes, APs count for Freshman year even if that puts you at some ridiculous course load like 25+ credits.
 
Now my questions:

1. When selecting the medical schools you want to apply to, you are asked what kind of admission you are seeking. I am very much considering doing a joint program, but I am not sure which one exactly. I am torn between a MPH and a MBA. Some schools I am applying to have neither, some have one or the other, but some have both. My question is, is it OK to apply to two degrees in the "combined degree area(s)" section? I don't want to appear as if I am applying to ultimately get a MD, MPH, and MBA. Rather, I would like to apply to both the MPH and MBA and then make a decision as I get closer to the finish line. Is this a bad move for any reason? I'm still in the process of researching each dual degree program so things may change (I may decide I prefer one over the other, etc) but for the time being I would like some help on my situation as it stands.

2. Is there any significance to "course classification" other than separating BCPM and AO GPAs? I have taken a pretty diverse array of classes, but it doesn't really show through when I look back at the list. My second major doesn't fall exactly within a category so I went with Behavior and Social Science for all classes within that major. However, some classes like "employment law" and "comparative legislation..." clearly would appear to fall under the Poli. Sci/Law category. Is it better the be consistent and place all the courses that are from that major under the social science banner or consider each class independently?

Thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.