*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did some searching but couldn't find much of an answer.

If you take summer classes, do they count towards the following year? For example I just finished my sophomore year but I am taking summer courses this summer, will these count towards sophomore or junior?

I am a bit confused because the above seems to be the case but somebody mentioned that AMCAS categorizes by number of credits and that they consider 27-35 credits to count as one academic year. This is the breakdown I've seen:

Freshman- 0-32 credits
Sophomore- 31-64 credits
Junior- 61-96 credits
Senior- 91+ credits

So how would my classes be categorized? I'm trying to calculate my yearly GPA.

Fall 09/Spring 10: completed 27 credits
Summer 10: completed 11 credits
Fall 10/Spring 11: completed 31 credits
Summer 11: registered for 9 credits

So would Summer '10 classes count towards sophomore gpa? With Summer 10, Fall 10, and Spring 11 counted as sophomore credits, that comes out to 42 credits though which is more than the 27-35 that AMCAS considers to be "one academic year". I'm confused. :[

The breakdown you listed above should only be used if you "have been enrolled part-time, or have had interrupted attendance." If you have "undergraduate, full-time, continuous enrollment," you "should usually change [your] year in school after every 2 semesters, 3-4 quarters, or 2-3 trimesters."

I assume you're doing a typical 4-year degree with full-time, continuous enrollment. Here's my opinion on what you should do:

Fall 09/Spring 10: completed 27 credits (Year 1, Freshman)
Summer 10: completed 11 credits (Year 2, Sophomore)
Fall 10/Spring 11: completed 31 credits (Year 2, Sophomore)
Summer 11: registered for 9 credits (Year 3, Junior)

The other option would be to assign Fall '10 to Sophomore and Spring '11 to Junior. For your purposes, you could see what your GPA looks like for both options.

Don't sweat this too much. Your grades are what they are, and only if your selections "greatly [emphasis mine] exceeds the ranges specified below" will they be reassigned. To me, 42 isn't wildly out of the ballpark from the high end of 35 that is the guideline (note that the language in the manual always uses "should," which implies something recommended, rather than "shall," which is a requirement, so there's leeway in what you do).
 
so coming back to my old question with ap credits, is it okay to just mark them (all 30 creds) as FR summer session even though it says fall 'o7 on my transcript? because i decided to make 07-08 fall and spring my SO yr so i cant make my ap credits fall 07.
 
What's the general consensus on listing a dangerous hobby (e.g. motorcycling) as an ec? Should I avoid it?

Cool to see another rider on here. I thought about it too but probably won't make my app. Feel like most peoples' view of motorcyclists are either squids on liter gixxers or guys running straight pipes without the baffle on harleys. Hope your ATGATT. (want to see the gunners ask if thats the template strand... :laugh: ) Ride safe.


To save making another post, when do Spring 11 grades need to be sent in? Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cool to see another rider on here. I thought about it too but probably won't make my app. Feel like most peoples' view of motorcyclists are either squids on liter gixxers or guys running straight pipes without the baffle on harleys. Hope your ATGATT. (want to see the gunners ask if thats the template strand... :laugh: ) Ride safe.


To save making another post, when do Spring 11 grades need to be sent in? Thanks

Same to you! Gear makes any rider look more badass.
 
so coming back to my old question with ap credits, is it okay to just mark them (all 30 creds) as FR summer session even though it says fall 'o7 on my transcript? because i decided to make 07-08 fall and spring my SO yr so i cant make my ap credits fall 07.

If it says Fall '07 then list it as Fall '07.
 
but then i cant mark my SO yr w/ fall 07...or am i wrong? sry if im taking you into this big circle of confusion. i appreciate the help though

Here are your constraints, per the manual:

  • AP credits earned on entry to college are assigned FR status.
  • What you enter in AMCAS should match what is listed on your transcripts.
So if your transcript says Fall '07, list Fall '07, with a status of FR. After your Fall '07 term, you're free to advance the status to whatever makes sense given the credits earned.

What is your concern with not being able to mark your fall '07 term SO?
 
Under the transcripts section,
Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?

Does AP courses count? I'm guessing I need to click yes anyways because of my study abroad courses
 
Under the transcripts section,
Have you ever taken a post-secondary course anywhere other than at your home institution, including college courses taken while in high school?

Does AP courses count? I'm guessing I need to click yes anyways because of my study abroad courses

Were they AP classes taken at your high school for which you received college credit?
 
Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs?

does unemployment checks count under this category?
 
So, I have a WF that I need to report on my AMCAS and was wondering how to do it. Do you check withdrawal still on the special course types? If I do that, then I can enter my transcript grade and should I put WF (which is what appears on my transcript) or simply F? Also, I know it's calculated in my gpa but there is no place for me to insert the number of credit hours the course was for... so will AMCAS just look up the number of hours on my transcript and do it for me? I tried calling the hotline today but didn't feel like waiting in line for the other 6 callers.
 
I'm also having issues with the 32 credit hour/year rule. Here's my breakdown:

'07 Fall: 18 credits + 9 AP credits + 4 January-term credits (total=31)
'08 Spring: 16 credits (total=47)
'08 Fall: 16 credits + 1 January term credit (total = 64)
'09 Spring: 15 credits (total = 79)
'09 Fall: Took a semester off due to a family emergency
'10 Spring: 22 credits (total = 101)
'10 Fall: 19 credits (total = 120)
'11 Spring: 19 credits (total = 139)

Since my college work was interrupted by the semester I took off, I should be applying AMCAS's credit hours rules. However, this results in:

Freshman: '07 Fall
Sophomore: '08 Spring - '08 Fall
Junior: '09 Spring
Senior: '10 Spring - '12 Fall

...which is really, really weird. Any suggestions on how to fix this?? I would prefer to just go on a semester basis - so my Junior year would be semesters 5 and 6 ( '10 Spring and Fall) and my Senior year would be semesters 7 and 8. ('11 Spring and Fall). Would this be allowed by AMCAS?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a weird scenario but anyways....I sent in my undergraduate transcript to AMCAS on Tuesday, but today a teacher from a semester ago changed a lab grade from an A- to an A (I had asked her to double check calculations literally 4 months ago and never heard back from her until now, since she was on sabbatical). I guess she had made a mistake and now my actual transcript is different than the one I sent in. It is a one hour course, and increases my GPA by .004 points. Do you think I have to resend the transcript (with a letter from registrar explaining the change) or just not worry about it?
 
This is a weird scenario but anyways....I sent in my undergraduate transcript to AMCAS on Tuesday, but today a teacher from a semester ago changed a lab grade from an A- to an A (I had asked her to double check calculations literally 4 months ago and never heard back from her until now, since she was on sabbatical). I guess she had made a mistake and now my actual transcript is different than the one I sent in. It is a one hour course, and increases my GPA by .004 points. Do you think I have to resend the transcript (with a letter from registrar explaining the change) or just not worry about it?

Resend the transcript and ask the registrar to make note of the particular grade change!
 
I'm also having issues with the 32 credit hour/year rule. Here's my breakdown:

'07 Fall: 18 credits + 9 AP credits + 4 January-term credits (total=31)
'08 Spring: 16 credits (total=47)
'08 Fall: 16 credits + 1 January term credit (total = 64)
'09 Spring: 15 credits (total = 79)
'09 Fall: Took a semester off due to a family emergency
'10 Spring: 22 credits (total = 101)
'10 Fall: 19 credits (total = 120)
'11 Spring: 19 credits (total = 139)

Since my college work was interrupted by the semester I took off, I should be applying AMCAS's credit hours rules. However, this results in:

Freshman: '07 Fall
Sophomore: '08 Spring - '08 Fall
Junior: '09 Spring
Senior: '10 Spring - '12 Fall

...which is really, really weird. Any suggestions on how to fix this?? I would prefer to just go on a semester basis - so my Junior year would be semesters 5 and 6 ( '10 Spring and Fall) and my Senior year would be semesters 7 and 8. ('11 Spring and Fall). Would this be allowed by AMCAS?

Why wouldn't you include your Spring 2010 term under your Junior status? Assuming a ballpark of 32 credits on every status switch, you wouldn't surpass 96 credits until you completed that term. Then your Senior terms would include Fall 2010 and subsequent terms.
 
Why wouldn't you include your Spring 2010 term under your Junior status? Assuming a ballpark of 32 credits on every status switch, you wouldn't surpass 96 credits until you completed that term. Then your Senior terms would include Fall 2010 and subsequent terms.

Hm... that makes sense - thanks!
 
Okay, so there really must be something wrong with me..I'm having the toughest time deciding what categories some of my classes fall under according to AMCAS designations.

For instance, I took a class called audiology--it consisted of lecture and a lab. Is this a biology class or a health science class? We spent the majority of lecture learning about anatomy and the various techniques used in clinical settings, and in lab we learned how to use equipment, write up hearing charts, and observed patients in clinics.

I also have a few credits of independent study/research. My research is a little like psych research except i do a lot of EEG work in addition to the usual running subjects on behavioral testing. Should I classify these independent study classes as biology or "other??" The AMCAS definition of biology includes neuroscience, which I consider EEG work to fall under, except my research lab is not in the biology department, but rather an interdisciplinary department.

I'm confused....
 
It's really up to you. I'd say put it under whatever you want. If they don't like what you've put, they'll change it.
 
Okay, so there really must be something wrong with me..I'm having the toughest time deciding what categories some of my classes fall under according to AMCAS designations.

For instance, I took a class called audiology--it consisted of lecture and a lab. Is this a biology class or a health science class? We spent the majority of lecture learning about anatomy and the various techniques used in clinical settings, and in lab we learned how to use equipment, write up hearing charts, and observed patients in clinics.

I also have a few credits of independent study/research. My research is a little like psych research except i do a lot of EEG work in addition to the usual running subjects on behavioral testing. Should I classify these independent study classes as biology or "other??" The AMCAS definition of biology includes neuroscience, which I consider EEG work to fall under, except my research lab is not in the biology department, but rather an interdisciplinary department.

I'm confused....

Audiology: I'd go with health sciences
Independent study/research: Well...I guess either pick bio or psych (I'm assuming that was the other discipline) or put other if you want to be safe. At the end of the day I don't think it will really matter. Heck I even screwed up with my app with it saying that I had only 4 total credits of o. chem (instead of 8) and no one even cared b/c they saw o. chem I and II + labs.

Good luck! 👍 I feel your frustration I hated doing those dumb apps.
 
Audiology: I'd go with health sciences
Independent study/research: Well...I guess either pick bio or psych (I'm assuming that was the other discipline) or put other if you want to be safe. At the end of the day I don't think it will really matter. Heck I even screwed up with my app with it saying that I had only 4 total credits of o. chem (instead of 8) and no one even cared b/c they saw o. chem I and II + labs.

Good luck! 👍 I feel your frustration I hated doing those dumb apps.


Thanks for the advice guys! It's nice to know that screw ups happen and don't mean anything in the end. Also since you've been accepted into med school Tapepsi, can you tell me what day you submitted your amcas app? I'm debating whether I should wait for my spring quarter grades to come out (2nd-3rd week of June) or just submit my app and transcript without those grades.
 
Thanks for the advice guys! It's nice to know that screw ups happen and don't mean anything in the end. Also since you've been accepted into med school Tapepsi, can you tell me what day you submitted your amcas app? I'm debating whether I should wait for my spring quarter grades to come out (2nd-3rd week of June) or just submit my app and transcript without those grades.

Uh...😳 well let's just say I screwed up on my first MCAT (not that I did much better on my second) and didn't get my scores out there until October (although I had my primary out sometime in September and was waiting until I got the new score before sending out my secondaries).

I would definitely wait until your spring quarter grades come out. Most schools I'm assuming would want you to send those to them anyway so you might as well wait. But get your secondaries in as soon as you can. I almost didn't get in this year b/c I was pretty late.

Also for public speaking, if it is a requirement for your major I'd just put it under that I guess (or maybe political science?). Or "other"? lol :laugh: when I did those categories I remember thinking "well this looks like it should go here I guess". I got so fed up with it.
 
Last edited:
In the amcas instructions it lists "comparative literature" under the Foreign language category. There is no classics or general humanities category but I guess I could list it under "other."

In terms of prereqs, the two classes I am using for the English requirement are technically comparative literature. Will it be a problem if they aren't marked "English Language and Literature" ?


I have this problem too- my transcript says:
COMP_LIT 271-1 Classical Japanese Lit Transl

It also says "Given in English" right underneath. Can I put this under English language and literature? or should be still be under Foreign language? And will they count it as a English lit course if its listed under foreign language?
 
Okay, so there really must be something wrong with me..I'm having the toughest time deciding what categories some of my classes fall under according to AMCAS designations.

For instance, I took a class called audiology--it consisted of lecture and a lab. Is this a biology class or a health science class? We spent the majority of lecture learning about anatomy and the various techniques used in clinical settings, and in lab we learned how to use equipment, write up hearing charts, and observed patients in clinics.

I also have a few credits of independent study/research. My research is a little like psych research except i do a lot of EEG work in addition to the usual running subjects on behavioral testing. Should I classify these independent study classes as biology or "other??" The AMCAS definition of biology includes neuroscience, which I consider EEG work to fall under, except my research lab is not in the biology department, but rather an interdisciplinary department.

I'm confused....

It's really up to you. I'd say put it under whatever you want. If they don't like what you've put, they'll change it.

Audiology: I'd go with health sciences
Independent study/research: Well...I guess either pick bio or psych (I'm assuming that was the other discipline) or put other if you want to be safe. At the end of the day I don't think it will really matter. Heck I even screwed up with my app with it saying that I had only 4 total credits of o. chem (instead of 8) and no one even cared b/c they saw o. chem I and II + labs.

Good luck! 👍 I feel your frustration I hated doing those dumb apps.

Thanks for the advice guys! It's nice to know that screw ups happen and don't mean anything in the end. Also since you've been accepted into med school Tapepsi, can you tell me what day you submitted your amcas app? I'm debating whether I should wait for my spring quarter grades to come out (2nd-3rd week of June) or just submit my app and transcript without those grades.

also what category would public speaking fall under? it was a required class for everyone in my major

Uh...😳 well let's just say I screwed up on my first MCAT (not that I did much better on my second) and didn't get my scores out there until October (although I had my primary out sometime in September and was waiting until I got the new score before sending out my secondaries).

I would definitely wait until your spring quarter grades come out. Most schools I'm assuming would want you to send those to them anyway so you might as well wait. But get your secondaries in as soon as you can. I almost didn't get in this year b/c I was pretty late.

Also for public speaking, if it is a requirement for your major I'd just put it under that I guess (or maybe political science?). Or "other"? lol :laugh: when I did those categories I remember thinking "well this looks like it should go here I guess". I got so fed up with it.

I'd list it as "Other." Really, once you get outside of the BCPM categories, whatever you choose matters little.

Merging with the Official AMCAS Questions thread
 
Put their work/office address. Or the school address if they don't have an office.


I thought you had to wait til your spring quarter was complete before you could send it transcript grades anyways? Maybe I am mistaken. June 14th is still super early. Even early July is early. You'll start getting some secondaries as soon as you submit (before you are even verified) so just start sending in all your secondaries ASAP. Don't wait for the LORs. I know one school - OSU - does give interviews before LORs are even in.

Additionally, as I am unsure how your advising office works -- if you can submit individual letters from professors/supervisors/ect, I would do that... and just wait on the health adviser letter (mentioning on your secondaries that they don't send it out until Sept.)

So amcas will send out my primaries without letters of recommendation provided everything else is verified? Could I get august or September interviews? Am I at a huge disadvantage since my committee doesn't send them until September? I'm so upset.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Uh...😳 well let's just say I screwed up on my first MCAT (not that I did much better on my second) and didn't get my scores out there until October (although I had my primary out sometime in September and was waiting until I got the new score before sending out my secondaries).

I would definitely wait until your spring quarter grades come out. Most schools I'm assuming would want you to send those to them anyway so you might as well wait. But get your secondaries in as soon as you can. I almost didn't get in this year b/c I was pretty late.

Also for public speaking, if it is a requirement for your major I'd just put it under that I guess (or maybe political science?). Or "other"? lol :laugh: when I did those categories I remember thinking "well this looks like it should go here I guess". I got so fed up with it.


HAHA I feel you on screwing up the first mcat, I have definitely been there. Anyways, I'm a little confused on the actual timing of the amcas submission. If I request my school to send my transcript to AMCAS now, without hitting submit on my app...will AMCAS hold onto my transcripts until I submit my app?

On the flip side, if I want to wait for my spring grades do I have to wait to hit submit on my AMCAS app until June 15th or so when my grades will come out? Or can I submit the app first, and then have my transcript get there later?
 
HAHA I feel you on screwing up the first mcat, I have definitely been there. Anyways, I'm a little confused on the actual timing of the amcas submission. If I request my school to send my transcript to AMCAS now, without hitting submit on my app...will AMCAS hold onto my transcripts until I submit my app?

Yes...they will not begin to process your application until they have both your submitted app and your transcripts (and the order doesn't matter).

On the flip side, if I want to wait for my spring grades do I have to wait to hit submit on my AMCAS app until June 15th or so when my grades will come out? Or can I submit the app first, and then have my transcript get there later?

Well it's up to you, but on your app for Spring 2011 you will have no grades, and I have never heard of anyone not updating their app with their spring grades before sending in their primary. If I were you, I would wait until your grades come out, update your application, send out the transcript that includes your spring grades, and then you'll be golden. 👍

Also out of curiousity, are you taking any of the med school requirements right now (o. chem, physics, etc...)? If so, you definitely should wait until you receive those grades before you submit your app and send the transcripts.
 
Last edited:
Hi I have a question regarding entering courses. So, assuming academic year starts from summer, I entered:

Fall'07 semester (S1) as 2007-08
Spring'08 semester (S2) as 2007-08

Summer'08 (SS) as 2008-09
Fall semester'08 (S1) as 2008-09
Spring semester'09 (S2) as 2008-09


but in the summary page appears as,

07 S1
07 S2 (should be 08)
08 SS
08 S1
08 S2 (should be 09)

I'm confused 😕 don't know how to fix it. Anyone please help me?



Thank you in advance!
 
Last edited:
Hi I have a question regarding entering courses. So I entered:

Fall semester (S1) 2007-08
Spring semester (S2) 2007-08

Summer (SS) 2008-09
Fall semester (S1) 2008-09
Spring semester (S2) 2008-09


but in the summary page appears as,

07 S1
07 S2 (should be 08)
08 SS
08 S1
08 S2 (should be 09)

I'm confused 😕 don't know how to fix it. Anyone please help me?



Thank you in advance!

You can't fix it because it's not a mistake. I know it looks odd, (and I questioned it as well) but that's how AMCAS has it listed.
 
You can't fix it because it's not a mistake. I know it looks odd, (and I questioned it as well) but that's how AMCAS has it listed.

oh I see, will they fix it when they get my transcripts?

thanks for your reply! 🙂
 
oh I see, will they fix it when they get my transcripts?

thanks for your reply! 🙂

No problem glad to help! Yes they will know which semester corresponds with which. It would make more sense for them to put 07/08 S1 and 07/08 S2 but hey...it's AMCAS what can you do? :laugh:
 
So what are the things do you not need in order to submit your application...

I know letters of recommendation and mcat scores, but anything else?

also, if you didn't submit your letters of rec with your application, how does the process work later? do you just upload the letters as you wish and resubmit application? im a bit confused...😕
 
For Course Work

I took AP courses in High School that if I list them as Freshman status, will put me over the guidelines AMCAS has. Those guidelines it listed are not absolute correct? How should I approach this?
 
So what are the things do you not need in order to submit your application...

I know letters of recommendation and mcat scores, but anything else?

That's pretty much it.

also, if you didn't submit your letters of rec with your application, how does the process work later? do you just upload the letters as you wish and resubmit application? im a bit confused...😕

If you created an entry for a letter prior to submitting, you can send the letter to AMCAS at any time without needing to resubmit. If you've already submitted and wish to add a new entry, you have to add the new entry and then resubmit. That won't delay verification of your coursework.
 
For Course Work

I took AP courses in High School that if I list them as Freshman status, will put me over the guidelines AMCAS has. Those guidelines it listed are not absolute correct? How should I approach this?

How many credits did your college award you for your AP classes?
 
15 total. Then Freshman Fall I took 15 and Freshman Spring I took another 15. I was just going to list all classes in that time period as Freshman status.

If you're continuously enrolled as a full-time student, I should think that's okay. The only other thing that could happen is AMCAS changes your status to SO after your first term, with a change every two terms thereafter.
 
If you're continuously enrolled as a full-time student, I should think that's okay. The only other thing that could happen is AMCAS changes your status to SO after your first term, with a change every two terms thereafter.
Ok, sounds good. Thanks alot.
 
so for current/future courses, we just list the course but don't put in a grade, right?

also, if the future courses we take change from what we listed, that won't have negative consequences right?
 
so for current/future courses, we just list the course but don't put in a grade, right?

also, if the future courses we take change from what we listed, that won't have negative consequences right?

Correct, on both counts. Of course, if the future course you listed is a prereq of the school you're going to attend and you end up not taking it, that's another matter entirely.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Correct, on both counts. Of course, if the future course you listed is a prereq of the school you're going to attend and you end up not taking it, that's another matter entirely.

do we need to send update letters if the current/future coursework changes?
 
do we need to send update letters if the current/future coursework changes?

In my albeit limited experience, any matriculation offers you receive aren't contingent on your completing courses marked as current/future (unless they are prerequisites for the school). Marking courses as current/future indicates that you expect to take them and nothing else.
 
So for those of you who have completed this app in the past or are doing them now can you help me through some things?

1) For the coursework section I can't assign Fr So Jr or Sr to any of my college classes (2007-2011). I can only choose high school, so right now
it looks like all my classes are for high school...

2)
For the same reason I can't mark AP for the AP exams I have taken
although I'm starting to think you don't really need to list them?

3) They have required contact information for each work/activity experience
including hobbies, so am I supposed to put my phone no./email...

These are some the 🙁 I've come across today but will probably encounter more later on, so any help is much appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.