*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question. If a course shows up on my transcript as FUND CELL & DEV BIO should I enter it that way as the course name on the application, or should I write it out fully - as Fundamentals of Cell and Developmental Biology?
 
Ok I have a question about repeated classes. I originally took a class that I withdrew from and a "W" is shown on my transcript. (I did not receive a grade for the class). Then I took a the class as a 1 month summer class at my county college and got a C. Since a C is unacceptable, I retook it at my university for an A. Do I select "repeat" for all 3 classes on my transcripts?

edit: I can't select withdraw AND repeat so just my county college and final repeat with have "repeat" selected?
 
My grad school does not use the quarter or semester system. Instead, we use 4 "terms." Each term lasts 8 weeks. What option do I select when entering grades on AMCAS? How do I convert the number of units I complete each "term" to semester units?

If you have 4, 8 week "terms" it would probably be best to list them as quarters. You don't have to worry about the conversion to semesters for credit hours--AMCAS does that for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question. If a course shows up on my transcript as FUND CELL & DEV BIO should I enter it that way as the course name on the application, or should I write it out fully - as Fundamentals of Cell and Developmental Biology?
Either one. Technically, you're supposed to put the exact same thing as the transcript, but spelling it out works fine too.

BTW, use the search function next time. This question has been asked many times in this thread
 
Quick question. If a course shows up on my transcript as FUND CELL & DEV BIO should I enter it that way as the course name on the application, or should I write it out fully - as Fundamentals of Cell and Developmental Biology?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11090000&highlight=abbreviation#post11090000

Ok I have a question about repeated classes. I originally took a class that I withdrew from and a "W" is shown on my transcript. (I did not receive a grade for the class). Then I took a the class as a 1 month summer class at my county college and got a C. Since a C is unacceptable, I retook it at my university for an A. Do I select "repeat" for all 3 classes on my transcripts?

edit: I can't select withdraw AND repeat so just my county college and final repeat with have "repeat" selected?

Yes.
 
not to be a downer: but does any one know if med schools who screen before they give out secondaries will let you know if you're rejected? or approximately when should we stop holding out hope for a secondary from a specific school? thanks!
 
hey guys! so, i have used the search function but didn't necessarily find what i was looking for.

i submitted my application tonight, and it gave me the yearly breakdowns of my gpa. when i take the average myself, they come out to be significantly higher than the cumulative calculations it presents. can someone explain this to me? thank you 🙂
 
hey guys! so, i have used the search function but didn't necessarily find what i was looking for.

i submitted my application tonight, and it gave me the yearly breakdowns of my gpa. when i take the average myself, they come out to be significantly higher than the cumulative calculations it presents. can someone explain this to me? thank you 🙂
The HTML GPAs have already been pointed out as incorrect.

You have to wait until you're verified to see the PDF GPAs.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=829109
 
My application has just been processed, but I was wondering if I should submit an academic change request? For one of my courses, it seems that AMCAS either deleted or I didn't put in the course number (the course had an X next to it) and should I ask AMCAS to put it back in...?
 
My application has just been processed, but I was wondering if I should submit an academic change request? For one of my courses, it seems that AMCAS either deleted or I didn't put in the course number (the course had an X next to it) and should I ask AMCAS to put it back in...?

The bottom of your AMCAS printout explains the symbols' meanings. An "X" means "verified with correction," not "deleted."
 
Little confused about submitting my courses on my transcript.

In high school, I took Calculus AB and then Calculus BC, but in college I took Calculus 2, which negates my AB credit. On top of that, they are really confusing on my transcript anyway. So does anyone know what to list?

I took a screenshot of my transcript to show what I'm talking about..

Course___Section_Grade__Credit_Credit Earned
confusedd.png
 
Little confused about submitting my courses on my transcript.

In high school, I took Calculus AB and then Calculus BC, but in college I took Calculus 2, which negates my AB credit. On top of that, they are really confusing on my transcript anyway. So does anyone know what to list?

I took a screenshot of my transcript to show what I'm talking about..

Course___Section_Grade__Credit_Credit Earned
confusedd.png

Did your school give you credit hours for both AB and BC, or did they just award you credit for BC? General rule for AMCAS is that you should enter what is on your transcript--if your AB calc contributed to your total credit hours and is on your transcript, then by all means, put it on.
 
Did your school give you credit hours for both AB and BC, or did they just award you credit for BC? General rule for AMCAS is that you should enter what is on your transcript--if your AB calc contributed to your total credit hours and is on your transcript, then by all means, put it on.

The only "Credit Earned" was for BC, because I ended up taking Calc2 as a freshman for an easy A (they took away the other 4 credits earned because I just repeated the course in college). The rest of them appear on my transcript as in that picture, with a blank in the column for Credit Earned. I was unsure if I should list those. As well, there is a "Calculus Subscore" row, which is obviously not a course but for some reason my transcript is horribly confusing lol.
 
The only "Credit Earned" was for BC, because I ended up taking Calc2 as a freshman for an easy A (they took away the other 4 credits earned because I just repeated the course in college). The rest of them appear on my transcript as in that picture, with a blank in the column for Credit Earned. I was unsure if I should list those. As well, there is a "Calculus Subscore" row, which is obviously not a course but for some reason my transcript is horribly confusing lol.

Yeah, I don't really know what to do in your case. My GUESS is that you would enter all of those, but enter 0 credit hours for all those except BC calc that you got college credit for. To be sure though, this is something I would definitely recommend calling AMCAS about, unless someone here has experienced something like this before.

When you do find out, could you do us a favor and let us know what you found?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Alright, just got off the phone. I found it a little amusing that the people there don't exactly know what to do (if they don't, who does? lol).

And then they put me on hold, and let me just say that their hold music is pretty rockin'. It was a mellow electronic tune, resembled Donkey Kong Country 2 a little.

And then she basically told me that if the credit earned was 0, just don't list it in AMCAS. So I guess the bottom line is that I'm only going to list the course that shows credit earned, and leave out the others.
 
Hi all,

My school is on the quarter system and spring grades are finalized this week. I sent my transcripts(w/o spring quarter grades) to AMCAS back in May. However, I am still working on my PS and it won't be done for a couple more days. Will I be obligated to send another updated transcript to AMCAS showing my spring quarter grades before submission? Id rather not since it would take extra time for them to receive the new transcript and my GPA dipped a tiny bit during that quarter.

Thanks
 
Hi all,

My school is on the quarter system and spring grades are finalized this week. I sent my transcripts(w/o spring quarter grades) to AMCAS back in May. However, I am still working on my PS and it won't be done for a couple more days. Will I be obligated to send another updated transcript to AMCAS showing my spring quarter grades before submission? Id rather not since it would take extra time for them to receive the new transcript and my GPA dipped a tiny bit during that quarter.

Thanks

You would only need to send transcripts that verify what you've entered in your application. If you didn't enter in your spring grades, then you don't need to send an updated transcript.
 
Alright, just got off the phone. I found it a little amusing that the people there don't exactly know what to do (if they don't, who does? lol).

And then they put me on hold, and let me just say that their hold music is pretty rockin'. It was a mellow electronic tune, resembled Donkey Kong Country 2 a little.

And then she basically told me that if the credit earned was 0, just don't list it in AMCAS. So I guess the bottom line is that I'm only going to list the course that shows credit earned, and leave out the others.

You know...that's strange, because when I did not list a couple non-credit classes, they added them during review. Regardless, I would do what they tell you to--you will always have a good stance to fall back on in that you called directly and that's what they told you. Thanks for the info!
 
So I'm familiar with the guidelines suggesting breaking down irregular college attendance into years. Unfortunately, the system won't let me follow these guidelines...

I went to a community college for a few years as a K-12 student while being homeschooled (more or less, it's kind of complicated.)

When I reached the age of majority and took the GED, I continued going to the same community college.

Unfortunately when I put in "junior college" as the designated category for the school, it then will ONLY allow me to select "high school" for each class I put in from that school...

This is problematic: I transferred directly and finished my degree as a junior and senior at another school - according to their files irregular college patterns should be filed as "freshman" "sophomore" and "senior" - I have no place to file "freshman" and "sophomore" classes (particularly since the "junior" and "senior" classes I took were specifically upper level.)

So, what on earth do I do? Do I list the same school twice? Do I just deal with my transcript having only the levels of "high school", "junior", "senior" and "postbac"? Halp!

(Plus, I want my transcript to reflect the fact that I did better in the classes I took as an adult. But really I just want it to look less cracked out.)
 
The AMCAS instructions are rather vague on this situation, so I thought I would grab some opinions here. In undergrad, I too a 100-level "Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry" course. The lecture itself did not involve an analytical chemistry component, but the lab did.

Flash forward 11 years. I am at a different institution, and it is recommended that I take a 200-level "Analytical Chemistry" course. This course was recommended because the school determined that I have never taken an analytical chemistry course.

So, should I indicate the 200-level course as a repeat of the 100-level course?
 
The AMCAS instructions are rather vague on this situation, so I thought I would grab some opinions here. In undergrad, I too a 100-level "Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry" course. The lecture itself did not involve an analytical chemistry component, but the lab did.

Flash forward 11 years. I am at a different institution, and it is recommended that I take a 200-level "Analytical Chemistry" course. This course was recommended because the school determined that I have never taken an analytical chemistry course.

So, should I indicate the 200-level course as a repeat of the 100-level course?

call the AAMC. see what they say.
 
The AMCAS instructions are rather vague on this situation, so I thought I would grab some opinions here. In undergrad, I too a 100-level "Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry" course. The lecture itself did not involve an analytical chemistry component, but the lab did.

Flash forward 11 years. I am at a different institution, and it is recommended that I take a 200-level "Analytical Chemistry" course. This course was recommended because the school determined that I have never taken an analytical chemistry course.

So, should I indicate the 200-level course as a repeat of the 100-level course?

I think they're different classes.
 
Hi All,
How long has it been taking to change status from the Application under review to Application assigned? What about assigned to verified? I just received an email that they have received my transcript on June 20th.
Thank you!
 
So my application has been verified. They have not really changed anything on my class list except 1 class, which I'm fine with.

Do they change anything else other than classes that I need to verify?*

If not, and I am fine with the change they made, do I have to do anything else to the application? Hit submit again? Or are my primaries now officially done?
 
Question: if I have research and a probable publication lined up at an east coast Ivy school for second semester senior year (January 2012 onwards), is there any possible way I can let my schools know that? I wouldn't bother with it if I didn't think it could significantly boost my ECs. My question is whether or not it can carry any weight being that it will occur after I formally apply. Thanks!
 
So my application has been verified. They have not really changed anything on my class list except 1 class, which I'm fine with.

Do they change anything else other than classes that I need to verify?*

If not, and I am fine with the change they made, do I have to do anything else to the application? Hit submit again? Or are my primaries now officially done?

If you are satisfied with that, then you are done. Time to wait for secondaries! :laugh:
 
Question: if I have research and a probable publication lined up at an east coast Ivy school for second semester senior year (January 2012 onwards), is there any possible way I can let my schools know that? I wouldn't bother with it if I didn't think it could significantly boost my ECs. My question is whether or not it can carry any weight being that it will occur after I formally apply. Thanks!

Depends on the school. Most accept email updates to their admissions office. They will take your email and add it to your file. A lot of schools prefer a word document or pdf attachment. Make sure ask first and when you do, include your full name and AAMC ID to make sure it gets in the right file.

P.S. Wait until your other paper is accepted for publication before you tell schools--most don't care if it is just submitted.
 
Depends on the school. Most accept email updates to their admissions office. They will take your email and add it to your file. A lot of schools prefer a word document or pdf attachment. Make sure ask first and when you do, include your full name and AAMC ID to make sure it gets in the right file.

P.S. Wait until your other paper is accepted for publication before you tell schools--most don't care if it is just submitted.

Thank you, I see. So there is no way to indicate that I will be doing so beforehand, correct?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've got another question..

I'm adding schools to my application, after I already sent out the application. It's asking me to recertify the application. I just wanted to know how that would effect the status of verifying my transcripts (they have yet to be verified).
 
Hi, I have several questions regarding the listing of coursework on the AMCAS.

1) I was a finance major, and as a major we were required to take 2 statistics courses. The first one was was "Intro to Statistics for Business" which fell under the "Statistics" category in my school. This was a pre-req course that we had to take in order to get into the undergrad business school (finance was part of the undergrad business program). The second statistics course we took was "Statistics Methods in Business" which they categorized under "Management Science and Information Systems", which all was separate from the rest of the college, as a part of the business program.

My obvious question is: should I list each of these Statistics courses under "Math" or under "Business"? Or should I list the first one under "Math" since it fell under the Statistics program and the second one as "Computer Science" since it was categorized as MSIS in the Bus. School? Or should I list it under "Business"? I got a 'B' in the second one so I don't want my application to get delayed because it looks like I'm trying to pull it from my science GPA. At the same time, I'd rather not have it in my science GPA if I don't have to. So I'm very confused as what to do. And the first one I got an 'A' in, so if I include that under "Math" and I don't include the other one, would that look bad?


2) This question is easier. I graduated from Rutgers New Brunswick, and took Physics 1 there and got an 'A', but I took Physics 2 in Rutgers Newark and got a 'B'. In New Brunswick, General Physics was a 3 credit course plus 1 credit lab. In Newark, General Physics was classified as a 4 credit course plus 1 credit lab. So on my AMCAS should I just put in the credits as I earned from each institution, or should I put in both as 3 credits, or both as 4? Again, it's unfortunate that Gen. Phys 2 is 4 credits and I got a B, and Gen Phys 1 was 3 credits and I got an A.

Thanks for reading this long post and for all replies. I really appreciate it!!! 🙂
 
I've been verified for a while now but I have a question.

AMCAS verified my courses in Bio, ochem, gchem etc. as 3 semester hours per half course (all these courses have lab components). My school is on a 0.5/1.0 credit system.

For the secondaries where I need to enter semester hours of a course, what should I put? 6 or 1? I ask because they require 8 semester hours, which I don't have, but only because AMCAS converted my credits this way.
 
I've been verified for a while now but I have a question.

AMCAS verified my courses in Bio, ochem, gchem etc. as 3 semester hours per half course (all these courses have lab components). My school is on a 0.5/1.0 credit system.

For the secondaries where I need to enter semester hours of a course, what should I put? 6 or 1? I ask because they require 8 semester hours, which I don't have, but only because AMCAS converted my credits this way.

I'd put the AMCAS numbers. To my knowledge, it shouldn't affect consideration of your application. After you have been accepted at a school, you can request them to specifically look at your transcript and confirm you have met their requirements. Or, you can ask them to look at that now. Either way.
 
I'd put the AMCAS numbers. To my knowledge, it shouldn't affect consideration of your application. After you have been accepted at a school, you can request them to specifically look at your transcript and confirm you have met their requirements. Or, you can ask them to look at that now. Either way.

Awesome thanks!
 
Hi, I have several questions regarding the listing of coursework on the AMCAS.

1) I was a finance major, and as a major we were required to take 2 statistics courses. The first one was was "Intro to Statistics for Business" which fell under the "Statistics" category in my school. This was a pre-req course that we had to take in order to get into the undergrad business school (finance was part of the undergrad business program). The second statistics course we took was "Statistics Methods in Business" which they categorized under "Management Science and Information Systems", which all was separate from the rest of the college, as a part of the business program.

My obvious question is: should I list each of these Statistics courses under "Math" or under "Business"? Or should I list the first one under "Math" since it fell under the Statistics program and the second one as "Computer Science" since it was categorized as MSIS in the Bus. School? Or should I list it under "Business"? I got a 'B' in the second one so I don't want my application to get delayed because it looks like I'm trying to pull it from my science GPA. At the same time, I'd rather not have it in my science GPA if I don't have to. So I'm very confused as what to do. And the first one I got an 'A' in, so if I include that under "Math" and I don't include the other one, would that look bad?

I don't think it will look bad to do so. I'd put the first one as Math and the second one as Business. Or whatever you prefer.

2) This question is easier. I graduated from Rutgers New Brunswick, and took Physics 1 there and got an 'A', but I took Physics 2 in Rutgers Newark and got a 'B'. In New Brunswick, General Physics was a 3 credit course plus 1 credit lab. In Newark, General Physics was classified as a 4 credit course plus 1 credit lab. So on my AMCAS should I just put in the credits as I earned from each institution, or should I put in both as 3 credits, or both as 4? Again, it's unfortunate that Gen. Phys 2 is 4 credits and I got a B, and Gen Phys 1 was 3 credits and I got an A.

Enter in the credits as they appear on your transcripts.
 
Sorry guys, this is kind of a noob question but...

I am in the process of getting my AMCAS verified, and I might be interested in adding a couple more schools to my list. So how does that work? Can I add schools while my AMCAS is being verified, and have it be verified with the new schools? Or can you not change your app while it's being verified?

If I wait for it to be verified, then add the new schools, does my original list of schools have me in their system as an applicant or do they have to wait till my AMCAS is reverified with the additional schools?

Sorry again for the newb question, but I did a google search and didn't find the droids I was looking for. Thx
 
Pretty sure you can add schools anytime and it doesn't affect the verification process. Verification just entails an AMCAS person making sure that your transcripts match up with the courses/grades you entered manually. It doesn't really have anything to do with the schools you apply to.
 
Adding new schools to an already verified application happens instantly (or as long as it takes to fill out your credit card information to pay for the additional school fee). I think it technically takes amcas 24hours to actually send your app to the newly added school, but there is no real reverification processing. I'm not sure what happens if you add a school while waiting to be verified, but I don't know why that would affect anything at all...
 
My Genetics and Cell Bio class were combined as lecture and lab, however, my transcript does not state this. Should I still go ahead and say "Lecture and Lab"?

Also, I presume I can classify Undergraduate Research as a Lab course?
 
Last edited:
example--I think i've added schools to my app about 3 different times after the initial verification.

1. add schools
2. check boxes to agree that you're not a troll
3. ???
4. profit
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I just got my verified application back! I am still kind of confused about the X's. I got six of them; four of them were changes to some International Baccalaureate credits that were posted on my transcript. The other two, they made changes to the credit hours that were listed on a transcript from a school that I attended for only summer session. I guess I agree with these changes (since they are so minor). Do I need to make corrections to these X's? Finally, does it look bad to have these X's? Thanks guys!!! :xf::xf::luck::luck:
 
Hey guys, I just got my verified application back! I am still kind of confused about the X's. I got six of them; four of them were changes to some International Baccalaureate credits that were posted on my transcript. The other two, they made changes to the credit hours that were listed on a transcript from a school that I attended for only summer session. I guess I agree with these changes (since they are so minor). Do I need to make corrections to these X's? Finally, does it look bad to have these X's? Thanks guys!!! :xf::xf::luck::luck:

Did you look at the rest of the pdf? It explains what the X's are. AMCAS had to change something

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/147880/coursework_shared_3.2.html

They're fine. Don't worry about it. If you disagree with a change, then fill out the academic change request form and submit it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.