*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeah i am currently i will put 2011-2012 i just thought 2010-2011 because won't it be contradictory if i put sophomore but really 2011-2012 is my junior year. the answer is probably it is my choice right i sware i am not patronizing you im not trying to be a d-bag right now i'm just trying to do this the right way
It really doesn't matter if it's contradictory or not. You don't have any choice about the academic year. If the class is a summer class, then you have to put 2011-2012.

I've already explained why you can put down sophomore. I have nothing more to say, except that your unwillingness to read what I have taken the time to write leads me to believe that you are a troll, after all. If you aren't then read what I wrote and you will understand.
 
Wait I just clicked on my courses and on top it say Oakton Community College(2011), and then underneath it says 2009-2010 Summer Session (Summer). I took the class in the summer of 2010 so now I'm really confused as to if I classified it correctly.

Summer of 2010 should be in the 2010-2011 academic year.
 
Is it worth it to take your 4x4 or 2x2 pictures now and self-print a bunch of copies, or do most schools accept e-mailed pictures? (or are most pictures optional until invited for interview?)

thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worth it to take your 4x4 or 2x2 pictures now and self-print a bunch of copies, or do most schools accept e-mailed pictures? (or are most pictures optional until invited for interview?)

thanks in advance!

Variable. Some do uploads (through the secondary web app, or email), some want physical copies, some do not ask for pictures at all.
 
my committee letter was just "received" by AMCAS this morning (hooray, hooray!) and i'm wondering if i should click submit again in order to send it to schools? or maybe that's not necessary. does AMCAS send letters to schools automatically in these situations?

also, when i need to update my address (moving in august), do i re-submit AMCAS then? some of my schools ask that you do address changes directly through their office but some ask that you update your AMCAS. does "update" mean hitting the submit button again? thanks, all!

Resubmitting won't hurt anything. Once you are AMCAS verified, you can't change the stuff that is actually important (essay, classes, ECs, Test Scores) I have personally done this a few times because I decided to add a few schools after the fact, and I have received everything (secondaries, LOR requests) at around the same time as everyone else on here. Don't worry about changing your address.

You don't need to submit again for letters. Once it says received the school will get it. I just recently got my letter in from my employer, and when it said received, a day later i checked my status at Pitt and it was received without resubmitting. Hope all this helps!

sometimes the schools download the letters in batches so it can take up to a week i think depending on the school.If they're in AMCAS then the schools will get them

great, so i guess i'll hold off on re-submitting for now and assume they'll send out my LORs. i'll just re-submit once i move in august.

I dont think re-submitting can hurt anything, I just did it after my LOR's were received in case it helps. ksmi thought that re-submitting sends a notification to the school whereas if you just leave it they have to go in and download it. My LOR's were received friday morning and 3 schools downloaded them after I resubmitted on Friday afternoon so who knows?

hm, good to know.

Yeah, I don't know if it's just a coincidence but the same thing happened to me. But it really can't hurt anything to try. 🙂

My application is not verified yet (should be within a week, I submitted on 7/2). I had moved recently and went on AMCAS to change my address, but upon clicking Continue it informed me that I had to recertify/resubmit.

Horrified at the idea of possibly waiting another month or paying another couple hundred dollars, I clicked on some other tab, but now my address change is reflected there.

What exactly happened? I sure hope my place in line isn't changed...

EDIT: The address change was reversed after I had logged off and back in. Apparently I have to click the Submit button in the Main Menu, but I'm afraid of doing so.

hey all,

i know this thread is really old but i'm hoping someone can still answer the question that was posted above by fluffy rabbit:

My application is not verified yet (should be within a week, I submitted on 7/2). I had moved recently and went on AMCAS to change my address, but upon clicking Continue it informed me that I had to recertify/resubmit.

Horrified at the idea of possibly waiting another month or paying another couple hundred dollars, I clicked on some other tab, but now my address change is reflected there.

What exactly happened? I sure hope my place in line isn't changed...

EDIT: The address change was reversed after I had logged off and back in. Apparently I have to click the Submit button in the Main Menu, but I'm afraid of doing so.


I'm having the same issue. My prehealth committee changed the main advisor's name for the committee letter, and asked me to update the letters of rec section of my app to reflect this change. However, then AMCAS required me to re-submit. Have I lost my initial spot in line for AMCAS review? my application was 'ready for review' and has been for nearly a week, so I've definitely lost a good amount of time if re-submitting has bumped me from that spot. anyone know about this?

thanks!

'Verification' and 'Certification' are different things.
Your app is verified when someone gets your transcript, compares it to what you put down, makes corrections, if needed, and OKs it.
Certification is when you say (by clicking) all the stuff I wrote down is good to go and I didn't lie anywhere.
I re-submitted a couple of times to change things/add schools. It doesn't cost anything and the only effect is after doing it the first time, you can no longer change your work/activities, PS and some other, non-information fields.

Merging with AMCAS Questions thread
 
I am signed-up to take the MCAT on 7/16/11 (I originally took it on 5/21/11 but felt really bad about it so I decided to sign-up again). Will AMCAS wait until it receives my July MCAT score (which would be mid-august) to send my primary to my selected schools?
If this is the case I am wondering if I am better of not retaking it because I don't want it to be mid-august before my schools even look at my primary.

Thanks

No. Your app will still be verified.

However, your file won't be complete (and thus probably won't be reviewed) until your MCAT score is received.
Merging with AMCAS Question Thread.
 
when you make changes (MCAT test date) to AMCAS AFTER it has been verified already, will your selected medical schools be notified of the changes immediately/ automatically? would it be prudent of me to notify each school by myself as well?
 
when you make changes (MCAT test date) to AMCAS AFTER it has been verified already, will your selected medical schools be notified of the changes immediately/ automatically? would it be prudent of me to notify each school by myself as well?

I do not believe you need to separately notify any schools you are applying to.
 
so I'll have three 1st author papers *in preparation" or "submitted" when I submit my AMCAS, how would I go about listing this? Especially for in preparation, is it completely fine to say you are in the process of writing the paper?

and should all these papers go under one activity? ( I would assume so, just wanted to confirm)

thanks!
 
so I'll have three 1st author papers *in preparation" or "submitted" when I submit my AMCAS, how would I go about listing this? Especially for in preparation, is it completely fine to say you are in the process of writing the paper?

and should all these papers go under one activity? ( I would assume so, just wanted to confirm)

thanks!
They don't hold much weight until they are accepted or published.

TBH, they belong at the end of the main research entry and not on their own. They're not really publications until someone has agreed to publish them.

It's hard to tell if that is what you mean by all of them going under one activity.
 
So I typed up my personal statement and work/activities in Microsoft Word and copy/pasted into my AMCAS. Do anyone think that might be a problem or would I have to go through Notepad for a strictly text response?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I typed up my personal statement and work/activities in Microsoft Word and copy/pasted into my AMCAS. Do anyone think that might be a problem or would I have to go through Notepad for a strictly text response?

Copy/paste into Notepad and review it there before pasting into AMCAS. Mechanically, it's only a few extra keystrokes. It's worth it to ensure you catch any problematic characters.
 
I have a question regarding Schools Attended:

I will be obtaining a Master of Science in Chemistry. Should I select my "major" to be Chemistry? Or should I leave it blank?

My feeling is to leave it blank since it the Chemistry M.S. is not really a "major," but a Graduate Group.

Any advice would be appreciated!
 
My transcripts are in the process of being transferred and my LOR's are in the process of being sent from Interfolio.com to AMCAS. The rest of my app is done. I know for AMCOMAS I could submit my app, but can I do the same for AMCAS and the things that are in the mail/being transferred will be added to my app as they are received?
 
My transcripts are in the process of being transferred and my LOR's are in the process of being sent from Interfolio.com to AMCAS. The rest of my app is done. I know for AMCOMAS I could submit my app, but can I do the same for AMCAS and the things that are in the mail/being transferred will be added to my app as they are received?

Yes.
 
I have a question regarding Schools Attended:

I will be obtaining a Master of Science in Chemistry. Should I select my "major" to be Chemistry? Or should I leave it blank?

My feeling is to leave it blank since it the Chemistry M.S. is not really a "major," but a Graduate Group.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I would say to list it. At least this way the person reading your application has an idea of what your MS was in.
 
I have take classes at a few universities. For example, I took math 1000 and art 1000 in high school. I had it transferred into my current uni - do I list it twice or only once with the grade?

Thanks@!
 
I have take classes at a few universities. For example, I took math 1000 and art 1000 in high school. I had it transferred into my current uni - do I list it twice or only once with the grade?

Thanks@!

Once. They should be listed as a part of the institution(s) where you originally took those classes.
 
Once. They should be listed as a part of the institution(s) where you originally took those classes.

Thank you. This still applies if they were added as a different class at my new institution correct? For example, art 1000 went to digital instruction of art. That shouldn't make a difference right?
 
One final thing before I stop bothering you - for my transfer credit to my university (AP), it says year 2007 (the year I took the tests). Does it matter what academic year I put on the AMCAS thing? I am putting 2009 fall (the year I started) for now, but should it be different? And should I put freshmen or high school?

Also, my AP credits don't have a grade next to them - it is fine to leave it blank on AMCAS right? It gives me a scary warning screen that it could be delayed if I don.t.

THANK YOU SO MUCH
 
Last edited:
One final thing before I stop bothering you - for my transfer credit to my university (AP), it says year 2007 (the year I took the tests). Does it matter what academic year I put on the AMCAS thing? I am putting 2009 fall (the year I started) for now, but should it be different? And should I put freshmen or high school?

Also, my AP credits don't have a grade next to them - it is fine to leave it blank on AMCAS right? It gives me a scary warning screen that it could be delayed if I don.t.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

AP credit is definitely Freshman -- the manual specifically says not to designate AP credit as High School. Because of that, I'd say it's okay to list the academic year as you did. Otherwise, you'd run into the possibility of having HS and FR for the 2007 year/term and you can't assign more than one status to a term.

And it's okay to leave the AP credit grade blank when no grade is listed.
 
AP credit is definitely Freshman -- the manual specifically says not to designate AP credit as High School. Because of that, I'd say it's okay to list the academic year as you did. Otherwise, you'd run into the possibility of having HS and FR for the 2007 year/term and you can't assign more than one status to a term.

And it's okay to leave the AP credit grade blank when no grade is listed.


Thank you - I am feeling crazy right now haha.
 
Is it necessary to include all future coursework? I am not sure about some classes which I will take

Send all of the course work that you think is most likely that you will take. If what you take deviates from that, just make sure to update.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it necessary to include all future coursework? I am not sure about some classes which I will take

I wouldn't say it's necessary, but at the same time I would think it's good to give adcoms an indication of what you're going to be doing.
 
My transcript was received by amcas today. But I requested another one from my school last week since I thought the 1st one was lost (took 5 weeks). Will it push me back to the end of the waiting line for verification? My app is ready for review right now
 
Hi guys..., if I'm verifying an application is it ok to first just apply to one school and then add schools when it's finished verifying? I need more time to figure out what schools to apply to, is there any disadvantage from listing alot of schools during verification to adding the schools on immediately the day following verification?
Thanks
 
My application has been "under review" since Friday. I'm an atypical applicant, as far as degrees, coursework, and class statuses go, and AMCAS had trouble advising me how to fill out the app correctly (though they assured me that I had filled it in just fine before I submitted). So, I'm really hoping they're not held up due to confusion. How long should it take a typical application to be reviewed? I'm getting nervous!
 
Some schools put applications "on-hold" after receiving the primary application due to that the MCAT scores haven't been ready at then (exam would be taken in August.)

Do we have to write to those adcoms soon after we've received the MCAT scores? How will they be informed (and, more importantly, how will they be motivated to have a second look to the application after the MCAT scores were received?)
 
Some schools put applications "on-hold" after receiving the primary application due to that the MCAT scores haven't been ready at then (exam would be taken in August.)

Do we have to write to those adcoms soon after we've received the MCAT scores? How will they be informed (and, more importantly, how will they be motivated to have a second look to the application after the MCAT scores were received?)

AMCAS should be dispatching the scores to the schools automatically.
 
so I'll have three 1st author papers *in preparation" or "submitted" when I submit my AMCAS, how would I go about listing this? Especially for in preparation, is it completely fine to say you are in the process of writing the paper?

and should all these papers go under one activity? ( I would assume so, just wanted to confirm)

thanks!

They don't hold much weight until they are accepted or published.

TBH, they belong at the end of the main research entry and not on their own. They're not really publications until someone has agreed to publish them.

It's hard to tell if that is what you mean by all of them going under one activity.

I find it hard to believe submitting to high impact clinical journals don't hold much weight if you are first author, can anyone else comment on this please?
 
I find it hard to believe submitting to high impact clinical journals don't hold much weight if you are first author, can anyone else comment on this please?

Anyone can submit a paper--it's up to the journal to decide if it is of good enough quality to publish. That's what adcoms want to see; not that you submitted it, but that an unbiased panel of experts thought it was publication-worthy.

Leave them out as individual entries, but list that they are submitted in your research entry. Update the schools once they have actually been published.
 
My GPA is one of my obstacles for getting accepted into medical school. I had a bad first year due to a lack of maturity and confidence, but I have improved ever year and have come out with a 3.1 GPA. Would it be important to address my low GPA in the personal comments section or should I save this experience of overcoming my maturity, and learning how to strive for success, for my secondaries?
 
Anyone can submit a paper--it's up to the journal to decide if it is of good enough quality to publish. That's what adcoms want to see; not that you submitted it, but that an unbiased panel of experts thought it was publication-worthy.

Leave them out as individual entries, but list that they are submitted in your research entry. Update the schools once they have actually been published.


hmm thanks, I guess my concern is we obviously know how long it takes for an article to get submitted and accepted and I know for a fact that it might take longer than the interview cycle for most schools. So all the work I'm doing now to have these articles ready to be submitted might be worthless


sucks to suck I guess :bang::bang::bang:

EDIT: though a MSTP student at a top 5 school said it is fine to list in submission or in preparation IF your PI writes in their LOR that the article you wrote is legit and will most likely be accepted.
 
hmm thanks, I guess my concern is we obviously know how long it takes for an article to get submitted and accepted and I know for a fact that it might take longer than the interview cycle for most schools. So all the work I'm doing now to have these articles ready to be submitted might be worthless


sucks to suck I guess :bang::bang::bang:

EDIT: though a MSTP student at a top 5 school said it is fine to list in submission or in preparation IF your PI writes in their LOR that the article you wrote is legit and will most likely be accepted.

Sounds like you've got your mind set on it. If you really want to know, email the adcoms for the schools you are interested in.
 
My GPA is one of my obstacles for getting accepted into medical school. I had a bad first year due to a lack of maturity and confidence, but I have improved ever year and have come out with a 3.1 GPA. Would it be important to address my low GPA in the personal comments section or should I save this experience of overcoming my maturity, and learning how to strive for success, for my secondaries?

I think it's ok to address it somewhere, but "maturity and confidence" issues are just excuses. It would be one thing if you had to leave school for a family reason, but getting bad grades because you were a freshman, like the rest of us, is not a reason as much as it is an excuse. I think a 3.1 is a fine GPA. If I did write a note about your grades, I wouldn't mention the reason at all for your poor freshman outing, but just emphasize your upward trend with statistics.
 
Hi everyone,
If I did a P/F internship for credit the summer before my sophomore year, does that count as a freshman or sophomore activity?
 
If I submit my primary application on AMCAS, but do not have my MCAT score yet, will I still be able get Secondaries sent or will I have to wait until after AMCAS gets my MCAT score?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I submit my primary application on AMCAS, but do not have my MCAT score yet, will I still be able get Secondaries sent or will I have to wait until after AMCAS gets my MCAT score?

Those schools that screen their primary applications will wait, but most others I would imagine will go ahead and send you the secondary.
 
My MCAT scores just loaded into my application so I was just wondering whether I have to resubmit the application to have them sent to all of the schools or should they just be pushed to them tomorrow morning automatically? Thanks! 🙂
 
My MCAT scores just loaded into my application so I was just wondering whether I have to resubmit the application to have them sent to all of the schools or should they just be pushed to them tomorrow morning automatically? Thanks! 🙂

They should be sent out automatically.
 
My grad school does not use the quarter or semester system. Instead, we use 4 "terms." Each term lasts 8 weeks. What option do I select when entering grades on AMCAS? How do I convert the number of units I complete each "term" to semester units?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.