*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2011-2012*~*~*~*

Started by CougarMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question about "most important activity"

I am listing my job as one of my most important activities. Part of my job includes a variety of administrative tasks (I work for a small start up, and I am the gatekeeper for our day-to-day operation issues). The other part of my job is in research. I can't fit the entire description into 700 characters.

Would it be okay to continue the experience description into the additional 1325 characters, given that the additional 1325 is meant to describe why the experience was meaningful/transformative?
 
Question about "most important activity"

I am listing my job as one of my most important activities. Part of my job includes a variety of administrative tasks (I work for a small start up, and I am the gatekeeper for our day-to-day operation issues). The other part of my job is in research. I can't fit the entire description into 700 characters.

Would it be okay to continue the experience description into the additional 1325 characters, given that the additional 1325 is meant to describe why the experience was meaningful/transformative?

There really is no accepted way to use the "most meaningful" section yet, so just use it how you think it would be most useful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Merging related threads
My Genetics and Cell Bio class were combined as lecture and lab, however, my transcript does not state this. Should I still go ahead and say "Lecture and Lab"?

Also, I presume I can classify Undergraduate Research as a Lab course?

Say lecture lab.

Yes undergrad research counts if you received a grade for X amount of credit hours.

With respect to the research course, I don't know if it'll count as a lab for pre-req purposes. You might want to double check that if that's what you intend on using it for. Otherwise I would count it as a lab.
 
Merging related threads

Sorry guys, this is kind of a noob question but...

I am in the process of getting my AMCAS verified, and I might be interested in adding a couple more schools to my list. So how does that work? Can I add schools while my AMCAS is being verified, and have it be verified with the new schools? Or can you not change your app while it's being verified?

If I wait for it to be verified, then add the new schools, does my original list of schools have me in their system as an applicant or do they have to wait till my AMCAS is reverified with the additional schools?

Sorry again for the newb question, but I did a google search and didn't find the droids I was looking for. Thx

Pretty sure you can add schools anytime and it doesn't affect the verification process. Verification just entails an AMCAS person making sure that your transcripts match up with the courses/grades you entered manually. It doesn't really have anything to do with the schools you apply to.

Adding new schools to an already verified application happens instantly (or as long as it takes to fill out your credit card information to pay for the additional school fee). I think it technically takes amcas 24hours to actually send your app to the newly added school, but there is no real reverification processing. I'm not sure what happens if you add a school while waiting to be verified, but I don't know why that would affect anything at all...

Awesome- thanks guys!

example--I think i've added schools to my app about 3 different times after the initial verification.

1. add schools
2. check boxes to agree that you're not a troll
3. ???
4. profit

Reverify just means...

"Give us more money! GRRRR AAMC HUNGRY!"
 
I received AP credit for Biology and Chemistry. This shows up on my transcript for all the classes I received credit for at my university.

101 Biology - 3 cred/hrs
111 Biology Lab - 1 cred/hrs
102 Biology - 3 cred/hrs
112 Biology Lab - 1 cred/hrs
103 Biology - 3 cred/hrs
113 Biology Lab - 1 cred/hrs

Same with chemistry

It also says Advanced Placement Program 2007 and no grades or quality points are given (i.e the columns are blank)

So my questions are

1) Can I leave these fields blank?
2) What should I put for the Academic Term?
3) If I leave the grade received and credit hours fields blank, will AMCAS assign it as a F and calculate my GPA accordingly even though I have checked Advanced Placement?
4) For my Classics courses that I have taken, I chose to put down "Other" for Course Classification (Says "CLAS" on transcript under Area). Should I put it as history (class was on ancient roman architecture)?

Sorry, I just got the chance to start the app, and I'm very confused right now.

Thanks in advance! 🙂
 
I'm pretty much the same.

My transcript got sent out from my school on 6/2
AMCAS lists it as received on 6/7
I got the notification today 6/14

So yeah, it takes a long time. Don't waste your time and energy freaking out like I was. If you really just want some peace of mind, order a second transcript from your school.

Finally got verified today! In summary:

Transcript sent: June 2nd
AMCAS received: June 7th
AMCAS marked receivied: June 14th
Verified: June 24th
 
I submitted my app mid june, and had my transcripts released on June 7nd. AMCAS still hasn't received a transcript so I assume it is lost somewhere. So is it safe to send multiple copies to AMCAS ? and since they will not process my transcripts until mid july, will that delay my app since it still has to be verified? My mcat is not as strong.
 
I submitted my app mid june, and had my transcripts released on June 7nd. AMCAS still hasn't received a transcript so I assume it is lost somewhere. So is it safe to send multiple copies to AMCAS ? and since they will not process my transcripts until mid july, will that delay my app since it still has to be verified? My mcat is not as strong.

I was also worried about AMCAS not receiving my transcripts. I had my school send them on June 2 and I didn't get a notification until the 14th or so telling me that they received it on the 6th. Go ahead and ask for your schools to send out your transcripts again... it won't hurt. But just know that it does take AMCAS some time to update that they received your transcript. If you go on the AMCAS site, it will tell you from what date they are marking transcripts as received.
 
Also, make sure you check with your school for when they actual sent the transcript. I had a problem this year when I submitted my transcript request to my school promptly, but they didn't send the actual transcript for 3 weeks.
 
Also, make sure you check with your school for when they actual sent the transcript. I had a problem this year when I submitted my transcript request to my school promptly, but they didn't send the actual transcript for 3 weeks.

This is probably what's going on.

I don't think sending another transcript will cause any problems. But I doubt that your transcript has been lost - it's just being held up somewhere (where that be at AMCAS for verification or at your school).
 
What should I do if I don't know yet which SMP program I will be attending next year (I know I will be doing one for sure) and don't have it finalized by the time I am ready to submit my AMCAS?

Looking at my last year's AMCAS and through their FAQ, it seems like I won't be able to add another school to the 'Schools Attended' section once it has been submitted and verified. Anyone know of a way to get around this/person or number @ AAMC that can fix this. Any suggestions? Should I wait (this would entail maybe waiting another month to submit until I know for sure where I'll be going, and I would like to avoid that if I can since last year my AMCAS was submitted around 7/27 and verified on 8/20 = later than I would have liked), or just submit without it and later update all of my schools as to which program I'm in and the courses I am taking/grades, etc.?
 
Merging related threads

I submitted my app mid june, and had my transcripts released on June 7nd. AMCAS still hasn't received a transcript so I assume it is lost somewhere. So is it safe to send multiple copies to AMCAS ? and since they will not process my transcripts until mid july, will that delay my app since it still has to be verified? My mcat is not as strong.

I was also worried about AMCAS not receiving my transcripts. I had my school send them on June 2 and I didn't get a notification until the 14th or so telling me that they received it on the 6th. Go ahead and ask for your schools to send out your transcripts again... it won't hurt. But just know that it does take AMCAS some time to update that they received your transcript. If you go on the AMCAS site, it will tell you from what date they are marking transcripts as received.

Also, make sure you check with your school for when they actual sent the transcript. I had a problem this year when I submitted my transcript request to my school promptly, but they didn't send the actual transcript for 3 weeks.

This is probably what's going on.

I don't think sending another transcript will cause any problems. But I doubt that your transcript has been lost - it's just being held up somewhere (where that be at AMCAS for verification or at your school).
 
hey guys,

I'm really in a pickle as to whether my neurology research (4 unit) that's under my school's medical school counts as bcmp or not. I got a B, and don't want to count it under science... Does anyone have any expereince about appealing a course? My course didn't even come with a syllabus and it's all imaging stuff, really
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys,

I'm really in a pickle as to whether my neurology research (4 unit) that's under my school's medical school counts as bcmp or not. I got a B, and don't want to count it under science... Does anyone have any expereince about appealing a course? My course didn't even come with a syllabus and it's all imaging stuff; didn't learn a thing.

Are you saying that your application has been verified with the research course counting as BCPM and you want to know about appealing that?

The research classes count as BCPM is they were listed on your transcript as being in a BCPM department.
 
No, I'm applying in the next cycle, but I want to know if it counts as bcpm to calculate my actual science GPA.

The department it's under is neurology (at my school we don't have undergraduate neurology classes, so Neurology is under the medical school here--it's listed Student research 180 - neurology); someone else told me I can appeal the decision and send in a syllabus? Basically, what type of research constitutes "bcmp"? Is looking at brain images all day count?

Someone else on SDN says AMCAS says to determine if it's bcmp based on course content?
 
No, I'm applying in the next cycle, but I want to know if it counts as bcpm to calculate my actual science GPA.

The department it's under is neurology (at my school we don't have undergraduate neurology classes, so Neurology is under the medical school here--it's listed Student research 180 - neurology); someone else told me I can appeal the decision and send in a syllabus? Basically, what type of research constitutes "bcmp"? Is looking at brain images all day count?

Someone else on SDN says AMCAS says to determine if it's bcmp based on course content?

Well, here's a few thoughts.
1) Neurology is not listed in any category on the AMCAS instruction manual, but Neuroscience is listed under the Biology category. For research lab classes, the department that gave you credit determines whether the class was BCPM or not.
2) This is the AMCAS definition of the course classification:
Each course must be assigned a course classification based strictly on the primary content of the course.
3) If you really don't want it listed as BCPM, then simply try to list it as something else. Health Sciences or Other seem to fit the best (besides what I think the correct answer is, being Biology).
4) If AMCAS changes your classification during the verification process, then you will need to submit an "academic change request" which is available through your application after you are verified. The official manual says the following
When requesting a course classification change, please copy and paste the course description from the school's website and include the URL where it can be found.
The request can take up to 5 days to process
5) It may be hard to convince AMCAS that this is not BCPM. I'm not sure. It sounds like science to me, and your school gave you credits for it. You may end up fighting a losing battle, but overall, it might be worth your time to just call AMCAS and ask.

My only question is how did you end up getting a B in a research lab class? Your school must be different than mine, since at my UG anyone who put in the hours got an A
 
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions about my application - I did an extensive search of keywords and couldn't find anything related to this situation, so please help me if you can!

1. I was a displaced student during hurricane Katrina, I attended UF for the first semester my senior year, took a full load of courses and got a 4.0. Got back to Tulane and they dropped the bomb that our GPA from the semester "abroad" would not count towards our cum GPA, the semester would just be p/f. Well just, crap - I worked my butt off for nuthin'. What I was planning on doing is not adding the courses seen on my Tulane transcript, and adding the UF transcript to my record with courses in hopes schools would take both into consideration. Should I report the p/f courses on my Tulane course work section, and show the UF semester with grades? Or just leave them off of the Tulane section (the transcript will show them as p/f recorded courses towards credit)? Also, do you think schools will consider this issue when looking at my application? (it is described in my personal statement what happened)

2. What category does my actual Thesis defense/paper go under?

3. My thesis work is published in a journal - under description I just put the citation and a summary of our abstract. I was going to save my contribution to the description of my actual thesis, but should that go with publication?

4. I wanted to make my thesis research one of my "most valuable" experiences, but I am unsure of what section to write the essay. Should I do it under the publication? The actual thesis work? Or under my research assistant position? - my professor was ill for a good majority of my last semester of grad school so I had to do all fly stocks, and run experiments on my own, which is why I was going to put it under assistant position because it was more than just my research.


THANKS 🙂🙂🙂
 
Meh....one more question...

I was an resident adviser my soph year of college. Although I did get to live for free the position was not paid - is this classified as leadership? Or should I go ahead with paid employment?

THANK YOU AGAIN 😍
 
What do I put for the grade of my Credit/Non-credit classes? I know I list them as Pass/Fail. Do I put "CR" or "P" ?

What grade do I put for AP classes?
 
What do I put for the grade of my Credit/Non-credit classes? I know I list them as Pass/Fail. Do I put "CR" or "P" ?

What grade do I put for AP classes?

You really don't understand how to read the manual, do you?

Enter the grade, symbol, or notation exactly as it appears on the official transcript from the institution where you attempted the course. If a grade appears on your transcript or you have earned a grade, you must enter it in the application, even though the field does not have a red asterisk.
If no grade is on the transcript, no grade entry is required unless the course has been subsequently repeated or removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies.

So, what does your transcript say?

If anyone is wondering why I'm being mean here, it's because the poster started a new thread and I told him what pages to read in the manual. He claimed that he read the manual, but apparently wants to waste our time. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=833844
 
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions about my application - I did an extensive search of keywords and couldn't find anything related to this situation, so please help me if you can!

1. I was a displaced student during hurricane Katrina, I attended UF for the first semester my senior year, took a full load of courses and got a 4.0. Got back to Tulane and they dropped the bomb that our GPA from the semester "abroad" would not count towards our cum GPA, the semester would just be p/f. Well just, crap - I worked my butt off for nuthin'. What I was planning on doing is not adding the courses seen on my Tulane transcript, and adding the UF transcript to my record with courses in hopes schools would take both into consideration. Should I report the p/f courses on my Tulane course work section, and show the UF semester with grades? Or just leave them off of the Tulane section (the transcript will show them as p/f recorded courses towards credit)? Also, do you think schools will consider this issue when looking at my application? (it is described in my personal statement what happened)

2. What category does my actual Thesis defense/paper go under?

3. My thesis work is published in a journal - under description I just put the citation and a summary of our abstract. I was going to save my contribution to the description of my actual thesis, but should that go with publication?

4. I wanted to make my thesis research one of my "most valuable" experiences, but I am unsure of what section to write the essay. Should I do it under the publication? The actual thesis work? Or under my research assistant position? - my professor was ill for a good majority of my last semester of grad school so I had to do all fly stocks, and run experiments on my own, which is why I was going to put it under assistant position because it was more than just my research.


THANKS 🙂🙂🙂

1. This sounds like the same situation as if you were a transfer student, so I would add the coursework and submit the transcript from UF and leave it off the Tulane coursework area. Kind of an interesting situation though.

2-4. See this post http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11147877
Thesis would ordinarily go under "Other". However, I don't know if you need to mention the thesis separately. If all of the work was published, then you would list the publication and mention that the work was included in your thesis. Or you would mention your thesis in your main "Research" entry. If you had a bunch of research that wasn't published, then you could create an entry just for the thesis, but it sounds like it was all published. I would put your "most meaningful" entry under the "Research"entry too. The "Research" entry should be the main part, and entries like publications and presentations should refer back to the research entry.
 
What should I do if I don't know yet which SMP program I will be attending next year (I know I will be doing one for sure) and don't have it finalized by the time I am ready to submit my AMCAS?

Looking at my last year's AMCAS and through their FAQ, it seems like I won't be able to add another school to the 'Schools Attended' section once it has been submitted and verified. Anyone know of a way to get around this/person or number @ AAMC that can fix this. Any suggestions? Should I wait (this would entail maybe waiting another month to submit until I know for sure where I'll be going, and I would like to avoid that if I can since last year my AMCAS was submitted around 7/27 and verified on 8/20 = later than I would have liked), or just submit without it and later update all of my schools as to which program I'm in and the courses I am taking/grades, etc.?
 
@Sector: Believe me, the requirement for this research "class" was 10 hours; I came in more than 15hrs/week. I received no feedback, and the professor or PI said he graded me because my PACE was too slow (keep in mind, everything was what I thought, going fine until I received my grade 2 weeks before grades were due). I was in such shock, and am debating going to the dept to take this into matters, since I myself have never heard of such a case.
 
@Sector: Believe me, the requirement for this research "class" was 10 hours; I came in more than 15hrs/week. I received no feedback, and the professor or PI said he graded me because my PACE was too slow (keep in mind, everything was what I thought, going fine until I received my grade 2 weeks before grades were due). I was in such shock, and am debating going to the dept to take this into matters, since I myself have never heard of such a case.

Wow, that's really lame. Sounds like a class to warn future students about to me
 
I agree. Staring at a computer screen for 4 hrs/day & learning computer scripts & being graded on pace is not science for me.. Here's to keeping my fingers crossed, but I'll call AMCAS and ask.
And unfortunately it's a 4unit research that only had 1 person (me) so no students could've warn me ahead of time... it's those classes you ask a faculty to mentor.. no mentoring here!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well this is a stupid question but I am writing secondary and want to know if it's ok to refer to schools by their abbreviation like GWU? Is that "school of medicine" necessary? Can I just refer to UC Davis School of Medicine as UC Davis? Thanks a bunch.
 
Well this is a stupid question but I am writing secondary and want to know if it's ok to refer to schools by their abbreviation like GWU? Is that "school of medicine" necessary? Can I just refer to UC Davis School of Medicine as UC Davis? Thanks a bunch.

I don't see why not. Especially when the essays have character limits.
 
How important is the unspoken "2 week secondary turnover" rule?

I ask this because I have already received four secondaries, but do not wish to submit them until my updated MCAT scores come in on 7/21. My initial MCAT scores (mid-20's) will not make me competitive at any of these schools, so I don't want to pay the $1000 in secondary fees only to potentially find out 3 weeks from now that my MCAT scores are too low to be competitive at any of the schools I applied to. Honestly, I feel 1000x more confident about my retake, but I know from the first experience not to rush to judgment. Will medical schools be perturbed that I took a month to complete my secondaries?

Thanks!
 
How important is the unspoken "2 week secondary turnover" rule?

I ask this because I have already received four secondaries, but do not wish to submit them until my updated MCAT scores come in on 7/21. My initial MCAT scores (mid-20's) will not make me competitive at any of these schools, so I don't want to pay the $1000 in secondary fees only to potentially find out 3 weeks from now that my MCAT scores are too low to be competitive at any of the schools I applied to. Honestly, I feel 1000x more confident about my retake, but I know from the first experience not to rush to judgment. Will medical schools be perturbed that I took a month to complete my secondaries?

Thanks!

In short, probably not. If you are really freaking out about it, perhaps let them know by email that you are waiting to see your MCAT scores before submitting the secondaries. Honestly, I think what you are doing is prudent and shows your grasp of reality. Submitting before August is not going to put you at a disadvantage for more schools, and I can't imagine there are many that would hold it against you taking longer than 2 weeks to complete. Perhaps someone has some evidence otherwise?
 
In short, probably not. If you are really freaking out about it, perhaps let them know by email that you are waiting to see your MCAT scores before submitting the secondaries. Honestly, I think what you are doing is prudent and shows your grasp of reality. Submitting before August is not going to put you at a disadvantage for more schools, and I can't imagine there are many that would hold it against you taking longer than 2 weeks to complete. Perhaps someone has some evidence otherwise?

Thanks, my pockets aren't deep so I'm not going to gamble. I honestly think it doesn't matter but I'm just waiting for someone to prove me wrong otherwise.
 
Just a tip for everyone who hasn't had their transcript marked as "received yet" and is panicking like I was.
I just called my school today, and they sent it out on the 24th when they told me it'd be sent out the next day, when I handed it in the request form on the 15TH. I even asked if I should rush it because I needed it asap, and the lady said it'd go out the next day.

Make sure to call your school if AMCAS hasn't received your transcripts! Better safe than sorry, you don't want to find out they never sent it a month later.
 
1. This sounds like the same situation as if you were a transfer student, so I would add the coursework and submit the transcript from UF and leave it off the Tulane coursework area. Kind of an interesting situation though.
Just to clarify this, I called AMCAS today and they said I have to report everything that appears on BOTH of the transcripts regardless of the situation. For verification purposes your coursework has to be identical to your transcript or the verification process will take longer. Hopefully this won't be too confusing to the recipients of my application. Worried about my GPA being lower than it actually is because of this issue - but there is nothing I can do about it 🙁
 
No, I'm applying in the next cycle, but I want to know if it counts as bcpm to calculate my actual science GPA.

The department it's under is neurology (at my school we don't have undergraduate neurology classes, so Neurology is under the medical school here--it's listed Student research 180 - neurology); someone else told me I can appeal the decision and send in a syllabus? Basically, what type of research constitutes "bcmp"? Is looking at brain images all day count?

Someone else on SDN says AMCAS says to determine if it's bcmp based on course content?

Ok. I called AMCAS and they kept saying "based on the course content [of your research]". well my experience was that I didn't learn any science aside from looking at patient stuff on a computer.. o.o.. ugh I need to know if it for sure counts under my science or not. :/
 
Ok. I called AMCAS and they kept saying "based on the course content [of your research]". well my experience was that I didn't learn any science aside from looking at patient stuff on a computer.. o.o.. ugh I need to know if it for sure counts under my science or not. :/

The answer, then, is that only you can decide that for yourself, and see where that takes you. Life is rarely all cut-and-dried.
 
Hi guys,

So I'm currently working on the application, and I have a couple of questions.

1) For the EC/Volunteer/Community Service section, a few of the clubs I am involved in, I do have regular weekly hours, but a lot of the other hours come from major events that are obviously not weekly, such as service and fundraising. So, if you look at the weekly hours and try to calculate how I got the total, there would be a big discrepancy. So I guess what I'm asking is...Did you guys specify exactly how many hours you did for each activity in the description? I find that I don't have too much room to do that for each activity, especially if I have many events listed. I just don't want the ADCOMs to look at my weekly hours and then my total and be like...what? 😕

2) For Work/EC/Volunteer/CM sections, did you write in bullet form or complete sentences? And did you just list what you did or added how the experience affected you to make it more personal?

3) I took the MCAT on June 16, and I won't be getting my scores until July 19. I am scheduled to take it again on July 29, just in case I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I'm planning on submitting my application within the next week. Even though there's a chance I won't be retaking it, do you think I should check off that I am anyway?

Thanks!
 
Hi guys,

So I'm currently working on the application, and I have a couple of questions.

1) For the EC/Volunteer/Community Service section, a few of the clubs I am involved in, I do have regular weekly hours, but a lot of the other hours come from major events that are obviously not weekly, such as service and fundraising. So, if you look at the weekly hours and try to calculate how I got the total, there would be a big discrepancy. So I guess what I'm asking is...Did you guys specify exactly how many hours you did for each activity in the description? I find that I don't have too much room to do that for each activity, especially if I have many events listed. I just don't want the ADCOMs to look at my weekly hours and then my total and be like...what? 😕

2) For Work/EC/Volunteer/CM sections, did you write in bullet form or complete sentences? And did you just list what you did or added how the experience affected you to make it more personal?

3) I took the MCAT on June 16, and I won't be getting my scores until July 19. I am scheduled to take it again on July 29, just in case I didn't do as well as I hoped, but I'm planning on submitting my application within the next week. Even though there's a chance I won't be retaking it, do you think I should check off that I am anyway?

Thanks!

For 1) and 2), first read this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=813591 to see if there are any suggestions applicable to your situation. If not, resubmit your question there, as that thread is more appropriate. Your second question is especially frequently asked.

For 3), I wouldn't check it off unless you really were committed to taking it again.
 
Will schools know if you added them after verification of the amcas? I just don't have my mcat score in, so I don't know which schools to apply to...but I don't want schools to think I'm applying to them as after thoughts...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think schools have a special software that monitors the order in which you added schools into amcas and the later you added their school the less chance you will have to get in. They assume that you are using their school as a backup. Did you add your schools in the correct order? If you didn't you better call and sort it out ASAP. Your entire future is riding on it.
 
I think schools have a special software that monitors the order in which you added schools into amcas and the later you added their school the less chance you will have to get in. They assume that you are using their school as a backup. Did you add your schools in the correct order? If you didn't you better call and sort it out ASAP. Your entire future is riding on it.

Don't forget to order your Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie (only $19.99) to prevent med schools from reading your true intentions right off your brain waves!
 
I probably have a really stupid question. Do you have to write the PS all at once or can you go back in and add on and edit it? I checked the "help" feature and it only said that you can't change it once you submit your application. I'm wondering if you can edit/change it before you submit it.
 
I probably have a really stupid question. Do you have to write the PS all at once or can you go back in and add on and edit it? I checked the "help" feature and it only said that you can't change it once you submit your application. I'm wondering if you can edit/change it before you submit it.

Feel free to edit is as much as you want prior to submission. Most people have their essay perfected in a word processing program first, but you can do it however you want.
 
Don't people do this all the time....esp if they received MCAT scores in between getting their AMCAS verified and deciding to add schools?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.