*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just a quick one, if I'm in the middle of a graduate program where my program ends anytime I defend between April and August of 2016, what would be the best expected degree date? I'm not sure when American schools begin their MD programs, and if there's a "must be completed by" timeline/requirement for my master's that I should put there...
 
I'm doing a grad program during the 2015-2016 school year so I do not have a transcript to submit yet. On the app it says "not received" instead of "not required." How do I go about fixing this?

Delete the school and readd it. Make sure you check the "transcript not required" box.

Double check with the manual and call AMCAS go make sure.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am having last minute thoughts about one of my LORs. The writer was my prof for biomedical ethics. When I asked him for a strong/supportive LOR, he enthusiastically agreed (I got an A in his class etc). However, I only knew him for 1 semester when he wrote the letter. Compared to my other 4 letters, I have known them for years and I am scared his might pale in comparison.

The caveat is that his LOR is the only one I have that is not science/medical related. Is 4 VERY strong science related letters good enough? I think I am just being crazy, but I have heard of people who got screwed by just 1 letter that wasn't spectacular.
 
I am on the course work section and have a few questions:

2. For classes that had labs, the video told me to mention that the lecture had a lab. Do I also input a separate section/add course just for the lab, the grade,and the units.


4. For course classification, does my English class go under English language and literature?


5. For course classification, where would my environmental science AP class go? Would it go under natural/physical sciences?

6. Anthropology would course classification be as other?

7. Would Creative writing and dance be in fine arts?

8. Would asian american studies be under course classification of behavior and social sciences?
 
Last edited:
Has anyone had experience with sending a transcript twice to AMCAS?

My first transcript request to my school seems to be lagging maybe due to them trying to process the AMCAS transcript form so I was considering sending another transcript request to them without having them do the attachment form to speed things up but not sure if it would create confusion at AMCAS if 2 transcripts end up arriving.
 
Also one more question, has anyone had success submitted transcripts without sending the transcript request form to be sent along with the transcript? my school is very slow in processing paperwork and i am thinking of sending a transcript without asking them to attach the transcript request form to speed up the process
If your school is an authorized etranscipt school, I would suggest sending it electronically. You don't need a cover sheet and amcas receives it in like 30 mins
 
So I am having last minute thoughts about one of my LORs. The writer was my prof for biomedical ethics. When I asked him for a strong/supportive LOR, he enthusiastically agreed (I got an A in his class etc). However, I only knew him for 1 semester when he wrote the letter. Compared to my other 4 letters, I have known them for years and I am scared his might pale in comparison.

The caveat is that his LOR is the only one I have that is not science/medical related. Is 4 VERY strong science related letters good enough? I think I am just being crazy, but I have heard of people who got screwed by just 1 letter that wasn't spectacular.

Keep the non-science letter. I just finished looking at the LOR requirements for my list of schools and many of them require a non-science professor. Some are extremely specific.
 
Would a future art class be considered a lab? My school lists it as lab sections and it really doesn't seem like it would be a lecture... But I don't know if all lab distinctions are more reserved for science labs.
 
Would a future art class be considered a lab? My school lists it as lab sections and it really doesn't seem like it would be a lecture... But I don't know if all lab distinctions are more reserved for science labs.

Labs are usually reserved for science ones, but if your school categorizes it as a lab, it's better to mark it down as such.
 
Question about transcripts: I just graduated in May so my final term grades won't be updated on my official transcript until June 11, so does that mean AMCAS can't verify my application until late June? Would it be possible for AMCAS to verify my app without the final term grades on my official transcript?
 
If my application is in good order by June 2, is there any reason to wait to submit? My pre-health advisor instructed us to wait at least 7-10 days in case there are any glitches in the system. Can anyone speak to this from experience? I would like my application verified by the end of June to receive secondaries ASAP
 
Transcript question. AMCAS seems to be cool with my school sending electronically, as there is a section asking for the AMCAS ID. However, I'm not sure if they want it as an electronic exchange, or a pdf. Any idea what AMCAS prefers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Transcript question. AMCAS seems to be cool with my school sending electronically, as there is a section asking for the AMCAS ID. However, I'm not sure if they want it as an electronic exchange, or a pdf. Any idea what AMCAS prefers?

AMCAS does not accept PDF files via email, only electronic exchange.

Your school is only an approved sender if they ask for the AAMC ID and the Transcript ID.
 
AMCAS does not accept PDF files via email, only electronic exchange.

Your school is only an approved sender if they ask for the AAMC ID and the Transcript ID.

Good stuff. They asked for both. Thanks!

If only I didn't have to go into my other school in person and request a transcript for two classes that won't get there for 3 weeks...
 
I took 2 college level courses via online correspondence while in high school for high school credit.
1-Do I need to enter this college school in schools attended?
2-Do I need to send a transcript for this school?

Just not sure because it was for high school credit, not college credit.
 
sup homies - good luck to all.. quick question:

i'm taking microbio and patho this summer; classes set to end june 12. i really want these in my amcas - would you all suggest submitting first day and then doing grade request or submitting with known grades in hand? (keep in mind the transcript won't be finalized till after the 12th regardless)
 
Im sure this has been been answered in one of the other 425 posts in this thread so forgive me for not searching, but...

When writing the personal statement for the primary app, should I address my academic sluffs? In the help link above the response field, it gives suggestions on what to write about including, "Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application". I had a particularly rough first year of undergrad and I wrote one personal statement that sort of addressed this, but then scrapped it for a new one that talks more about other very positive and significant experiences. Additionally, I had always heard not to address your weaknesses in the personal statement, but rather your strengths, and that the time to address those sort of things is during the interview if inquired...

Thoughts??
Thanks!!!
 
Last edited:
Edit:

Thought I on transcript represented incomplete, actually means included. Long night.

I have a question - I passed an advanced placement exam for physics I, but I was exempt for the credit hours as I retook the course. I cannot mark both AP and exempt on AMCAS. I should probably go with exempt, correct? Then I mark 'repeat' on the course I took and earned credit for and should be all set.
 
Last edited:
I attended an international high school for two years and then transferred to a US high school. Is there a way to list two high schools attended?
 
What qualifies as "childhood" is it 0-10 or 11-pre-college? The AMCAS asks a lot with regards to childhood and I feel that my life <10 years old is quite different from >10 years old
 
Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) I took a pass/fail course in my undergrad and on my transcript, it says:
Name: (Course name) // Credits Attempted: (0.00) // Credits Completed: (1.00) // Grade: P
Do I put down the number of credits attempted or the number of credits completed? On the bottom of my transcript it says that the total number of credits attempted is 133 but the total number of credits completed is 134.

2) My post-bac provided us with an mcat prep course. On my transcript it said 0.00 credits however there are no grades that go along with it. The title of the course is: Registered for Degree only. And even though my semester ended May 10 and all my other grades for that semester were posted, it still says in progress on my account/ on my official transcript. I put it down as current course for right now. What do you guys think I should do?
 
I've published two short stories. Based on your experiences, do you think I should list this under "publications" or "hobbies"?
 
Birth to age 18 generally.

ohh hmm, ok.. piggybacking off this -

with regards to the question: Have you or members of your immediate family ever used federal or state assistance programs? would Head Start count? I was enrolled for a brief time, so I think I would say yes, but I'm not claiming disadvantaged status.
 
Getting a little worried about my transcripts.. School sent them 5/20. On amcas it says they're updating statuses for ones received 5/27 and nothing on mine... Now I'm starting to worry the transcript form wasn't attached correctly or something.
 
Also one more question, has anyone had success submitted transcripts without sending the transcript request form to be sent along with the transcript? my school is very slow in processing paperwork and i am thinking of sending a transcript without asking them to attach the transcript request form to speed up the process
I can't seem to figure out how to get the request form included with the transcript. One of my schools had "include attachment" as an option when requesting a transcript be sent, but the other school doesn't offer that. :annoyed:
 
If I studied abroad at a school in the UK and the classes, grades, and credit hours were accepted by my home institution and show up on the transcript of my undergrad, would I enter the 4 classes taken abroad under the designation of my undergrad school itself?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the following question (an answer for which I couldn't find via the search function):

I received AP credit for the same AP exam from two institutions. One institution I attended my first two years and I transferred to the other one for my third and fourth years. I can only pick one of these as the AP credit-awarding institution, and I'd much rather pick the second institution. So, when entering the course for which I received AP credit, do I still list it as FR even though I received credit for it my junior year?

Thank you
 
Another question:

If the course name on my official transcript is abbreviated, but its full name fits in the AMCAS space, how should I write it in?
 
Anyone have thoughts on not listing household income when growing up? My dad doesn't want me to include it.
 
Another Q:

I volunteered in a lab at the university for a summer. Because of that, I'm familiar with protein assays, I've run gels, I've observed procedures and I understood the research. However, I pretty much only did this for about thirty - forty hours total. I have a lot of clinical research, so I'm not sure if I should include this ...
 
Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is correct:

1) You don't need to assign letters to people before you submit your primary

2) You can still change assignments of letters to people after you submit your primary
 
I took an online course at a university in high school for high school credit. under program type, should it be listed as undegrad, grad, postbac undergrad or junior college?
 
If a school says 3 letters of recommendation is required but they don't say a maximum number of letters, should I submit more than 3 or play it safe and keep it at 3?
 
My college does not offer minors. It offers certificate programs. Are these considered to be the same?
 
Im sure this has been been answered in one of the other 425 posts in this thread so forgive me for not searching, but...

When writing the personal statement for the primary app, should I address my academic sluffs? In the help link above the response field, it gives suggestions on what to write about including, "Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application". I had a particularly rough first year of undergrad and I wrote one personal statement that sort of addressed this, but then scrapped it for a new one that talks more about other very positive and significant experiences. Additionally, I had always heard not to address your weaknesses in the personal statement, but rather your strengths, and that the time to address those sort of things is during the interview if inquired...

Thoughts??
Thanks!!!

I mentioned a fluctuation, well more so what I learned from it but it was a very brief part of my statement. Maybe 3 sentences tops?
 
Another Q:

I volunteered in a lab at the university for a summer. Because of that, I'm familiar with protein assays, I've run gels, I've observed procedures and I understood the research. However, I pretty much only did this for about thirty - forty hours total. I have a lot of clinical research, so I'm not sure if I should include this ...
If you have the room for it on your activities, why not?
 
Another Q:

I volunteered in a lab at the university for a summer. Because of that, I'm familiar with protein assays, I've run gels, I've observed procedures and I understood the research. However, I pretty much only did this for about thirty - forty hours total. I have a lot of clinical research, so I'm not sure if I should include this ...
If you have the room for it on your activities, why not?

It's filler. Yes, you're familiar with lab procedures and understood research, but 30-40 hours in a summer is extremely minimal and can be safely neglected (hint: it's a week of fulltime research). Discarding that and focusing only on clinical research, which I assume is more substantial, is the best bet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's filler. Yes, you're familiar with lab procedures and understood research, but 30-40 hours in a summer is extremely minimal and can be safely neglected (hint: it's a week of fulltime research). Discarding that and focusing only on clinical research, which I assume is more substantial, is the best bet.
I would have included it. Perhaps he/she was also doing other activities during that summer. I guess it depends on how many activities they already have...
 
Question about entering a course.
I withdrew from a psychics course then retook the class for a grade. So on AMCAS I marked the first attempt as a "withdraw" and for the second attempt should I mark it as "repeat"?
 
Question about entering a course.
I withdrew from a psychics course then retook the class for a grade. So on AMCAS I marked the first attempt as a "withdraw" and for the second attempt should I mark it as "repeat"?

No, I believe you just list it as a Withdrawal. I had a couple courses that I withdrew from - I listed the grade as WN (that's what was listed on my official transcript) and under Special Course Type I had Withdrawal listed. I believe Repeat is only appropriate if you completed a course for a grade and retook again for a grade.
 
I'm getting a bit concerned as I review the English requirement for schools. Most required 6 credits (or a year of English). I only took 4 credits worth of English Department coursework. I have a number of writing intensive Philosophy classes that I completed(12 credits). I also did independent research with scientific writing (worth 8 credits).

Am I out of luck and will I need to take an english course before applying?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.