*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can leadership and membership of one organization be lumped together under "Leadership"? If so, would I enter total hours as those spent generally in the organization, or would I have to clarify the number of hours spent exclusively with leadership activities?

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wanna spend the up-coming school year focusing more on academics. I don't want to be doing a bunch of ECs next year. So out of curiosity I was wondering if the ECs I have put me in a good position.
-Tutored 7 kids in math for cash in a span of 3 years -still doing it
-Hospital volunteering 300hrs for about 2.5 years.
-Senior home volunteering 200hrs. 1.5 years
-Shadowed a nurse for 20hrs
-Shadowed an oral surgeon 20hrs
-Team Captain for 2 years for a high school trivia team
-Empolyment at Redlobster for 1.8 years during high school
-Employment at warehouse for one summer and during christmas break
-volunteered in Poland at a living arts organization for an independent film. I helped translate texts.
- member of 2 random clubs during my first year
- Have swim certificates med, cross, instructors, nls, and worked as a life guard for a little under a year

Would it be appropriate to include articles published in student journals as publications? I've written for two undergraduate journals but am hesitant because they are not research-oriented

I classified them under "Other." I felt that it would come across as desperate or misleading to categorize them under "Publications."

Hope that helps.

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, I am really sorry if this post is redundant, but I would very greatly appreciate some advice.

Just a couple of questions,

1. I was wondering which (if any) of the following awards/ recognitions I should put on my app.

- I was on the Dean's list in Fall 2010?
- I am a graduate student, and a poster that I was 2nd author on, (but I did not present) won 2nd place at a University wide research presentation day. It was my research but the person that worked on the poster mostly and presented it was 1st author.
- I was requested/ selected to be a booth rep at a Conference.
- I won a 4 years service award from a campus organization in undergrad.

2. If I should put any of them on the application, any advice of how I can organize it,and how much detail I should provide?

Thanks a lot!!

Also, I started volunteering in a hospital last week and have already put in about 40 hours. I have tons of interactions with docs and patient families.

Should I that on the app or save it for the interview?

Thank you

If you are combining multiple honors (Dean's List + scholarship + summa cum laude for example) under the Honors/Awards tab, who do you list for contact information?

This is perfectly fine.

So would it be expected to for me to speak about entirely different things if I talked about an activity in my personal statement as well as my most meaningful experience? Or would talking about similar things be okay?

Would it be appropriate to include articles published in student journals as publications? I've written for two undergraduate journals but am hesitant because they are not research-oriented

Publications for AMCAS generally refer to research pubs. Perhaps you can find another way to indicate an interest in writing, such as an artistic endeavor EC? Or if the topics of the articles are regarding some other interest of yours, perhaps you could include an entry for that interest and simply add in the description that you have also written on that subject matter and were published in a student journal.

Can leadership and membership of one organization be lumped together under "Leadership"? If so, would I enter total hours as those spent generally in the organization, or would I have to clarify the number of hours spent exclusively with leadership activities?

Yes. But if you are using the Leadership category for this then in your description, focus on your leadership activities with a smaller focus on your time as a general member. You can enter total hours in the organization and then within the description, say that X hours were spent in Leadership position Y.

I wanna spend the up-coming school year focusing more on academics. I don't want to be doing a bunch of ECs next year. So out of curiosity I was wondering if the ECs I have put me in a good position.
-Tutored 7 kids in math for cash in a span of 3 years -still doing it
-Hospital volunteering 300hrs for about 2.5 years.
-Senior home volunteering 200hrs. 1.5 years
-Shadowed a nurse for 20hrs
-Shadowed an oral surgeon 20hrs
-Team Captain for 2 years for a high school trivia team
-Empolyment at Redlobster for 1.8 years during high school

-Employment at warehouse for one summer and during christmas break
-volunteered in Poland at a living arts organization for an independent film. I helped translate texts.
- member of 2 random clubs during my first year
- Have swim certificates med, cross, instructors, nls, and worked as a life guard for a little under a year

You should not include your HS activities on your app to med school, unless you continued them into college. They only want to know about what you have done as an undergrad and after college. See the two bolded above, assuming everything else was during college. I would try to fit in some shadowing of actual physicians of a few specialties (including Family Med). 40 hrs max. And I see no research. Which is fine as long as you do not have your sights set on top academic research schools (*cough*Stanford*cough*). Also, if possible, I would look for some domestic non-medical unpaid volunteering since you are getting paid for tutoring the kids. But overall, I think you are fine as is, especially if doing more will affect your academics.

First of all, I am really sorry if this post is redundant, but I would very greatly appreciate some advice.

Just a couple of questions,

1. I was wondering which (if any) of the following awards/ recognitions I should put on my app.

- I was on the Dean's list in Fall 2010?
- I am a graduate student, and a poster that I was 2nd author on, (but I did not present) won 2nd place at a University wide research presentation day. It was my research but the person that worked on the poster mostly and presented it was 1st author.
- I was requested/ selected to be a booth rep at a Conference.
- I won a 4 years service award from a campus organization in undergrad.

2. If I should put any of them on the application, any advice of how I can organize it,and how much detail I should provide?

Thanks a lot!!

I would put all of these under one entry for Awards/Honors. A simple listing just as you have done here will be fine. Do indicate the names of the organizations that awarded these to you, the criteria for winning and include some indication as to whether they were competitive (eg. you were picked out of X entries and/or Y finalists). For the one contact you need, pick any of these, such as the Registrar for the Dean's list, or Dean of Students for the campus org.

Also, I started volunteering in a hospital last week and have already put in about 40 hours. I have tons of interactions with docs and patient families.

Should I that on the app or save it for the interview?

Thank you

I think you can include this now since you have an actual experience to describe. Hopefully you have other more substantial clinical volunteering as well to include in your app?

If you are combining multiple honors (Dean's List + scholarship + summa cum laude for example) under the Honors/Awards tab, who do you list for contact information?

Registrar's name and number

So would it be expected to for me to speak about entirely different things if I talked about an activity in my personal statement as well as my most meaningful experience? Or would talking about similar things be okay?

Your entire app has to fit together and make sense. If you focus on something in your PS and it is naturally one of your 3 most meaningful experiences, you should try to talk about it from a different angle each time you hit it. Do not repeat yourself. Specific personal stories are great for this because they are similar in driving home the same point/s without actually repeating yourself.

You will be hitting those same experiences again for secondaries and finally at the interview. So bring something new and fresh about it to the table each time if possible. This is hard to do but if you can do this well, you will shine.

4. No need to deactivate FB if you don't have anything incriminating on it.

Do what I did: change your name just enough to throw off Google. Instead of Larry Smith, become Larry Smif or Barry Smith. You can do that through the FB interface.

Do what I did: change your name just enough to throw off Google. Instead of Larry Smith, become Larry Smif or Barry Smith. You can do that through the FB interface.

Facebook keeps a cache of previous names. One of my friends changed his name on FB but he was still searchable by his real name. It may evade a Google search, but many adcoms know to search FB directly as well.

If I'm listing oral presentations that were also published in abstract form, does it seem appropriate to say something like:
I gave the following oral presentations whose abstracts were published. I was first author on both.
followed by the citations?

Is it generally okay to say something like "Research taught me.." or should we stick with "Engaging in scientific research taught me..." or "My experience in research taught me..."

For publications in journals, is the PI okay for contact info?

For abstract publications, is it okay to choose Publications and then make the name of the experience "Poster presentation/Publications"...should we tack on Conference Attended to the experience name since the poster obviously had to be presented at a conference or just include the conference name in the description?

For abstract publications or poster presentations, is it necessary to list the full list of authors or is it okat to say "I was the first author on the following poster presentations which were also published as abstracts...."

If we do list the abstracts as publication, should we give the proper scientific citation or is it okay to have name of abstract, conference, and year?

For awards, should I include a scholarship received at the end of freshman year that provided an annual scholarship for each academic year of college?

If I received a need-based scholarship that basically covered all tuition for undergrad, should I mention this? I didn't do anything to get it, except meet the financial requirements(<60000 annual income)

Is a full time job the summer after high school still considered a high school activity? I worked as a lab assistant.

How are most people citing abstracts or pubs? Is this fine: Smith, J. Kim, L. Some Amazing Project. Nature. 2013. ?

Is it too much if I have about 4 research related categories: research, oral pres, poster pres, publications? cannot htink of a way to condense them into just 2 categories.

given the chance to split a clinical experience into volunteering versus leadership versus keep it as one, but add another general cultural club to show dimension, what would u suggest? thanks!

Last edited:
See my responses in the quote below in bold.

If I'm listing oral presentations that were also published in abstract form, does it seem appropriate to say something like:
I gave the following oral presentations whose abstracts were published. I was first author on both.
followed by the citations?

The citation will list you as first author, you don't need to state that. It's redundant and may come off as boasting. Just the first sentence you said and the citations.

Is it generally okay to say something like "Research taught me.." or should we stick with "Engaging in scientific research taught me..." or "My experience in research taught me..."

All sound good. You want your writing to be clear and concise, but don't feel like you have to go to great lengths to have wonderful style and word usage. Obviously the first one is fewer words, but if you have a lot of characters left, you can develop the sentences better.

For publications in journals, is the PI okay for contact info?

Yes

For abstract publications, is it okay to choose Publications and then make the name of the experience "Poster presentation/Publications"...should we tack on Conference Attended to the experience name since the poster obviously had to be presented at a conference or just include the conference name in the description?

It's up to you, it won't make or break you either way. I think it's implied that the poster was presented at some conference so you will be fine if you just want to write the conference name in the description.

For abstract publications or poster presentations, is it necessary to list the full list of authors or is it okat to say "I was the first author on the following poster presentations which were also published as abstracts...."

List the full citation. Research is not a one-man show. It's awesome that you were first author, but you need to give credit to the people who contributed.

If we do list the abstracts as publication, should we give the proper scientific citation or is it okay to have name of abstract, conference, and year?

I'd go for the full citation because that's what I was advised to do.

For awards, should I include a scholarship received at the end of freshman year that provided an annual scholarship for each academic year of college?

Sure

If I received a need-based scholarship that basically covered all tuition for undergrad, should I mention this? I didn't do anything to get it, except meet the financial requirements(<60000 annual income)

I don't think you should mention it. It wouldn't fall under Honors/Awards because it wasn't merit based.

Is a full time job the summer after high school still considered a high school activity? I worked as a lab assistant.

I'd throw it in.

How are most people citing abstracts or pubs? Is this fine: Smith, J. Kim, L. Some Amazing Project. Nature. 2013. ?

I used full citation format (so what you have plus vol number, issue number, and pg numbers).

Is it too much if I have about 4 research related categories: research, oral pres, poster pres, publications? cannot htink of a way to condense them into just 2 categories.

It's fine

given the chance to split a clinical experience into volunteering versus leadership versus keep it as one, but add another general cultural club to show dimension, what would u suggest? thanks!

You can talk about your leadership role in the description of your clinical volunteering entry if you want to make an entry for the cultural club.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much for the helpful reply!! The reason I'm considering taking out the authors and saying "I was first author on both.." is because when I add the authors, the character count goes way over and I would have to have multiple entries to fit in everything.

Do you think I would be better off making more entries or will it be okay to say "First author on following.."

Do people usually put what they learned in the activities description, how it helped you grow etc etc?

Or just a straight up explanation of what it was and a list of what you did

Question regarding which to designate as my most meaningful experiences: is it too much to use 3 experiences that were all clinically focused? One is my leadership involvement in a student organization that sets up shadowing in rural communities for prehealth students, and I talk about my growth through leadership as well as the shadowing insights in rural communities. Another is a medical mission trip I went on, and I use the most meaningful experience description to talk about the teamwork and problem solving skills I developed as a result, rather than focus on the patient interactions. The third is my clinical shadowing because I wanted to talk more about the insights I gained through domestic shadowing (my PS is more about experiences abroad so my adviser suggested that I use my works & activities to demonstrate I have an understanding of medicine in the States). I'm using this last description more to talk about the mentorships I've had with doctors, how they have inspired me, and how that has furthered my understanding of the physician lifestyle and confirmed my enjoyment in it...instead of talking about patient interactions? Is this appropriate at all?

Do these seem redundant at all? I do have other experiences I could use as most meaningful but these I feel most strongly about and build up my reasons for pursuing medicine.

Thanks!! I'd really appreciate any input on this!

Should I designate whether my contacts have MD, PhD, MS, or other titles after their last names?

Thank you for all your help!!!

I recently had a provisional patent approved. I worked on the patent with my supervisor at work and am thinking about how to include this in my work experiences section. Any advice on whether to put it as a separate activity or group it together with my work experience?

And if separate activity, any advice on experience type? I'm debating between artistic endeavors, honors/awards/recognitions, or other.

I also published a book with my supervisor, and the same question about whether to group with work experience or separate activity. And if separate, debating artistic endeavors or publications. I'm leaning towards grouping together though..

Thanks!! =]

I'm a co-author of a research paper about PAD. The abstract was published, but the manuscript was rejected (we were told to make revisions, and then re-submit for publication). Do I list it on its own under "Publication" or group it with my Work/Activities slot on my whole research internship?

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this has been addressed somewhere, but I was unable to find an answer to my question of what do I put as my end date if I am still involved in the activity?

Amcas manual states:

Experience Dates
Include the start and end dates for each experience. Some Experience Types, such as Awards, Presentations/Posters and Publications, require only one date. Your start date must be no later than the current month and your latest end date must be no later than the August of the current application cycle.

Should I put August 2014? There is no option to leave it blank, and I wasn't sure what to put.

Thanks!

1) If you were listed as an author on a poster presented at a national conference (presented by someone else) what should you list for the hours? Can I include university-wide conferences in the same entry or are such conferences negligible?

2) Have we reached a consensus about the multiple conferences issue in one slot? What do we to put for the hours?

3) How many hours do we put for publications?

I had some questions about my works and activities! I hope I'm not too late!

1. Junior year I worked for two quarters at my campus's dining hall. Is it worthwhile to mention it? (I have the space).

2. My clinical volunteering was 2 years ago and the clinic had a huge change of staff, so I'm worried my coordinator doesn't work there anymore (also it was a really small free clinic and they only kept paper records of us being there so I don't know if that stuff is still even there...) Who should I list as the contact?

3. I'm still a little confused...so posters go under posters/presentations and same with talks, not under conferences attended even if they were national conferences right? What goes under conferences attended then...

4. I already have 4-5 years of research, 4 posters, and 1 pub but I also did a year of senior design for engineering and I feel like I learned a lot, so how do med schools feel about listing senior design projects and such (I used the search function but found all kinds of different answers for specific cases...)

5. Latin honors is probably useless to list, right?

Last edited:
Do people usually put what they learned in the activities description, how it helped you grow etc etc?

Or just a straight up explanation of what it was and a list of what you did

There are two schools of thought on this. Some just straight up explain/list what they did. Others (including me), believe that you are more personable and your motivations are better understood if you also say what you learned and how it helped you grow.

Question regarding which to designate as my most meaningful experiences: is it too much to use 3 experiences that were all clinically focused? One is my leadership involvement in a student organization that sets up shadowing in rural communities for prehealth students, and I talk about my growth through leadership as well as the shadowing insights in rural communities. Another is a medical mission trip I went on, and I use the most meaningful experience description to talk about the teamwork and problem solving skills I developed as a result, rather than focus on the patient interactions. The third is my clinical shadowing because I wanted to talk more about the insights I gained through domestic shadowing (my PS is more about experiences abroad so my adviser suggested that I use my works & activities to demonstrate I have an understanding of medicine in the States). I'm using this last description more to talk about the mentorships I've had with doctors, how they have inspired me, and how that has furthered my understanding of the physician lifestyle and confirmed my enjoyment in it...instead of talking about patient interactions? Is this appropriate at all?

Do these seem redundant at all? I do have other experiences I could use as most meaningful but these I feel most strongly about and build up my reasons for pursuing medicine.

Thanks!! I'd really appreciate any input on this!

I think it's always good to be multi-dimensional and show a variety of most meaningful experiences if possible. Like 1 clinical, 1 non-medical community service, 1 research (or artistic/sports or something else). But if all 3 of yours truly were clinically related, then it is what it is. Go for it.

Should I designate whether my contacts have MD, PhD, MS, or other titles after their last names?

Thank you for all your help!!!

If you have the characters, that's fine. It probably won't matter either way.

I recently had a provisional patent approved. I worked on the patent with my supervisor at work and am thinking about how to include this in my work experiences section. Any advice on whether to put it as a separate activity or group it together with my work experience?

And if separate activity, any advice on experience type? I'm debating between artistic endeavors, honors/awards/recognitions, or other.

I also published a book with my supervisor, and the same question about whether to group with work experience or separate activity. And if separate, debating artistic endeavors or publications. I'm leaning towards grouping together though..

Thanks!! =]

I would describe all this within the 1 work experience entry. Perhaps you could make it one of your most meaningful ones.

I'm a co-author of a research paper about PAD. The abstract was published, but the manuscript was rejected (we were told to make revisions, and then re-submit for publication). Do I list it on its own under "Publication" or group it with my Work/Activities slot on my whole research internship?

Add it to the Research description.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this has been addressed somewhere, but I was unable to find an answer to my question of what do I put as my end date if I am still involved in the activity?

Amcas manual states:

Experience Dates
Include the start and end dates for each experience. Some Experience Types, such as Awards, Presentations/Posters and Publications, require only one date. Your start date must be no later than the current month and your latest end date must be no later than the August of the current application cycle.

Should I put August 2014? There is no option to leave it blank, and I wasn't sure what to put.

Thanks!

If you anticipate ending right before school starts, then yes August 2014 is fine. Put whatever date you think you will stop. Not sure why this is confusing? An end date means "what date will you end this activity"

1) If you were listed as an author on a poster presented at a national conference (presented by someone else) what should you list for the hours? Can I include university-wide conferences in the same entry or are such conferences negligible?

2) Have we reached a consensus about the multiple conferences issue in one slot? What do we to put for the hours?

3) How many hours do we put for publications?

If you did not present, then I don't think you can list this as a presentation (i.e 0 hours). Simply describe the publication in a Publication entry (or within the Research description). University wide conferences are fine to list separately (or also within the Reseach description, if they were minor), if you actually did something for the conference (organized or presented).

I had some questions about my works and activities! I hope I'm not too late!

1. Junior year I worked for two quarters at my campus's dining hall. Is it worthwhile to mention it? (I have the space).

2. My clinical volunteering was 2 years ago and the clinic had a huge change of staff, so I'm worried my coordinator doesn't work there anymore (also it was a really small free clinic and they only kept paper records of us being there so I don't know if that stuff is still even there...) Who should I list as the contact?

3. I'm still a little confused...so posters go under posters/presentations and same with talks, not under conferences attended even if they were national conferences right? What goes under conferences attended then...

4. I already have 4-5 years of research, 4 posters, and 1 pub but I also did a year of senior design for engineering and I feel like I learned a lot, so how do med schools feel about listing senior design projects and such (I used the search function but found all kinds of different answers for specific cases...)

5. Latin honors is probably useless to list, right?

1. Sure
2. List your old coordinator and his/her phone number as you knew it at the clinic. In the off chance that he/she is gone and someone else picks up and they cannot find the records, that's fine, you did the best you could. A med school will contact you if they have a problem verifying something they really, really want to verify.
3.Perhaps conferences you attended but did not submit or present anything? If you presented, I would describe it under poster/presentations.
4.Was it a required project in an engineering class? In that case, I would leave it off. If it was an independent project, then you can include it here as an EC
5. Not useless, list it under Awards/Honors (especially if it was magna or summa)

1. Sure
2. List your old coordinator and his/her phone number as you knew it at the clinic. In the off chance that he/she is gone and someone else picks up and they cannot find the records, that's fine, you did the best you could. A med school will contact you if they have a problem verifying something they really, really want to verify.
3.Perhaps conferences you attended but did not submit or present anything? If you presented, I would describe it under poster/presentations.
4.Was it a required project in an engineering class? In that case, I would leave it off. If it was an independent project, then you can include it here as an EC
5. Not useless, list it under Awards/Honors (especially if it was magna or summa)

Thank you! :)

Should we list where the conference was? For instance, "Society of Neuroscience conference-New Jersey"

If you're referring to SfN, it's Society for Neuroscience. Not that it'll make or break you or anything, but something to correct.

I didn't to save characters. I just made sure to put the year somewhere. ADCOMs can figure out the location... if they care... which they probably wont

This is my list for clinical observations:

Psychiatry, David GXXXX, MD 301.4XX.9XX5 (5 hours)

Physiatrist, Neil SXXXXXl, DO, MBA 3X1.2XX.5XXX (25 hours)

Physician Assistant, Kathy LiXXXXot, PA-C, [email protected] (8 hours)

Obstetrics and Gynecology, Peter SXXXXz, DO 484.6XX.8X27 (20 hours)

Emergency Department at Yale New Haven Hospital, 203-7XX-7XX5 (8 hours)

Pediatrician, Ivan TXXXn, MD 787.XX7.8XX1 (16 hours)

Should I remove that I shadowed a PA? I did it because I was considering it as a potential career. I was thinking about applying to be a PA last year but after much contemplation I decided that I really wanted to be a physician.

Last edited:
If you have the characters, that's fine. It probably won't matter either way.

We all do... it is in the contact first and last name space. I think I decided to remove them because I was not 100% sure about everyone's degree and I didn't want to be neglectful of some degrees but not others

I listed total hours and years in the organization, but then clarified in the description when I was in each role. It didn't make sense to me to have separate entries for the non-leadership and leadership position.

I am working as a adult care provider for 94 yrs old man. I help him in daily activities; feeding, showering, going for a walk, help him when he is hospitalized, taking medicine, ordering doctor's prescription and mostly taking him to hospital/clinic to see doctors, talking with his doctors to discuss about his health or if i need to provide special care for him. Should I provide this as paid employment-medical or not-medical? And How can i calculate the total hours as I'm still working as his care provider? Thanks for any suggestion.:)

I am working as a adult care provider for 94 yrs old man. I help him in daily activities; feeding, showering, going for a walk, help him when he is hospitalized, taking medicine, ordering doctor's prescription and mostly taking him to hospital/clinic to see doctors, talking with his doctors to discuss about his health or if i need to provide special care for him. Should I provide this as paid employment-medical or not-medical? And How can i calculate the total hours as I'm still working as his care provider? Thanks for any suggestion.:)

definitely medical and you can put the number of hours that you expect to work in AMCAS... it is in the FAQs

I was just looking at my activities and noticed that I do not have any activities with the experience type of community service/non-medical. Two of my activities have the experience type teaching/tutoring: chemistry TA and tutoring disadvantaged college students through an organization within the university. Would it be wrong to list my tutoring experience as community service?

Just a super quick question: when grouping, do we generally put the most recent activity first, or the earliest? Thank you so much! C:

Would working in a group home setting or as a PCA count as non-medical/clinical or medical/clinical? Same goes for becoming a one-on-one fitness coach at a neuro rehab center.

I see this question was asked above but I couldn't find an answer:

How many total hours do we list for a publication? Hours worked on the project?

Would it be alright to list my completed Honors Thesis under publications? If so, how would I be able to list it? Thanks for the help.

Is working as a laboratory assistant-paid employment medical/clinical? or not medical? I didn't see any patients, but it was in a lab that runs tests for hospital patients

I recently established a club for students interested in helping medical underserved communities in my university. So far, I have coordinated a few physician lecturers who talked to the club about the need for minority students and we have attended some conferences as a group.
We plan on collaborating with the hospital RA program (which I am also a part of) to put on health fairs in nearby towns.

Would it be appropriate to list this as its own activity on AMCAS? Would it be appropriate to talk about the future plans for the club? I plan on being involved with this club during my gap year (I recently graduated).

Sorry, my mouse is being weird so am not going to put this in quotes: How many total hours do we list for a publication? Hours worked on the project?

My premed comm told me to list 0. I hope that helps!

I recently submitted my amcas application and realized that I did not go back and recalculate my hours for each experience. I have all fourteen slots filled out and the first time around I put for instance, 120 hours for one experience that lasted about six months but this 120 hrs was supposed to be for each month of the six months. I was going to go back and multiply it by the number of months I spent but forgot! smh What should I do now?! Should I contact the schools b/c it may look like I did numerous experiences for many months/years but only have 150-300 hrs in each experience over so many months. I also focused more on explaining the experience and its impact and just forgot about changing the hours. Will this mess me up?

Is working as a laboratory assistant-paid employment medical/clinical? or not medical? I didn't see any patients, but it was in a lab that runs tests for hospital patients

This is not clinical. According to Lizzy, "if you're close enough to smell the patients, it's clinical."

I recently established a club for students interested in helping medical underserved communities in my university. So far, I have coordinated a few physician lecturers who talked to the club about the need for minority students and we have attended some conferences as a group.
We plan on collaborating with the hospital RA program (which I am also a part of) to put on health fairs in nearby towns.

Would it be appropriate to list this as its own activity on AMCAS? Would it be appropriate to talk about the future plans for the club? I plan on being involved with this club during my gap year (I recently graduated).

I think so... sounds like an awesome club :)

I recently submitted my amcas application and realized that I did not go back and recalculate my hours for each experience. I have all fourteen slots filled out and the first time around I put for instance, 120 hours for one experience that lasted about six months but this 120 hrs was supposed to be for each month of the six months. I was going to go back and multiply it by the number of months I spent but forgot! smh What should I do now?! Should I contact the schools b/c it may look like I did numerous experiences for many months/years but only have 150-300 hrs in each experience over so many months. I also focused more on explaining the experience and its impact and just forgot about changing the hours. Will this mess me up?

maybe you can ask AMCAS if you can re-access your application to fix it... you may need to re-verify your application though... I think you don't want errors in your application though... your call

Hi everyone,
I've been scouring the SDN forums for a while and its been a great help. I have one specific question in regards to my application:
Over the last year and a half I've partnered with an NGO in another country (where I was born) and have through weekly meetings taught an ESL class with several students via skype. My only question is whether or not this is something that I should list. I guess my only worry is that it'll be hard to verify and therefore be disregarded completely. Thanks in advance to anyone replying.

Hi everyone,
I've been scouring the SDN forums for a while and its been a great help. I have one specific question in regards to my application:
Over the last year and a half I've partnered with an NGO in another country (where I was born) and have through weekly meetings taught an ESL class with several students via skype. My only question is whether or not this is something that I should list. I guess my only worry is that it'll be hard to verify and therefore be disregarded completely. Thanks in advance to anyone replying.

Definitely! Give some contact information for that NGO so the school can check with them, and that should suffice.

I'd definitely add that to the list, though. Teaching ESL (well) shows that you know how to break down information to convey to someone who may not understand you well -- that's something I'd look for in a med applicant if I were on a board.

Hi friends! I have two questions:

1. Most of my entries are in paragraph form in complete sentences. However, for some awards/scholarships I want to list, I feel like bulleting would be more effective. Is it frowned upon to have a mix of formats, or would I be able to proceed in bulleted form for that section?

2. Would I classify an article I wrote for a student-run, semesterly publication as a 'Publication' or under 'Other'? Right now, I'm leaning towards 'Other' because it's not in an official journal or whatever.

Last edited:
Hey guys, need help here for the conferences and publications.
How can I group mutiple publications or conferences under one category?Coz it only allows one date per category.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.