*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1) I DJ an FM radio station show that features foreign rock music. I also write commentary to explain shared themes etc. I can't decide if this is an artistic endeavor or not: I analyze the music and share my thoughts with a larger audience, but I don't make the music myself. Thoughts?

2) For shadowing multiple doctors, can I use the repeat function to indicate hours for each doctor? i.e. header would list Dr. A contact info, but hours for Dr A and Dr B. The text would include the Dr. B shadowing experience description
1) It's an Artistic Endeavor. As a DJ, you are a performer.

2) The Repeated feature shouldn't be used that way. Put the Total Hours for all shadowing in the header and subtotals for each individual doc in the narrative. See an example of how to list Shadowing in post 2, item #10 of this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for another question... I have a lot of life experience.. hah. I have grouped multiple things together, but I'm old and have lots of experience. I'm probably going to be right at the 15 mark. Is that ok? Also, if I have work experience from full time work, should I include Starbucks, or just leave that job off.

Sorry for another question... I have a lot of life experience.. hah. I have grouped multiple things together, but I'm old and have lots of experience. I'm probably going to be right at the 15 mark. Is that ok? Also, if I have work experience from full time work, should I include Starbucks, or just leave that job off.
Listing 15 activities us fine. For nontrads, grouping is the only recourse, or leaving activities out completely.

Some nontrads have one space for significant collegiate activities and use themselves as a Contact.

Another strategy is to put multiple short-term jobs in one space. Barrista is actually a good job to list, due to dealing with the public and functioning in a rapid-paced stressful environment. You get to decide if other items are more worthwhile than that.

Feel free to ask more questions if need be.

What are your thoughts on a MME where I had clinical responsibilities but my takeaway is more from a reflection that I had after seeing something a doctor did while I was volunteering? Is that okay? Or are they looking for me to grow from doing something directly?

If I have been doing a hobby my entire life, do I only include the hours post high school?
Maybe, depending on the hobby (like how interesting is it and would your skill level/depth of knowledge have grown over the years). If you decide to include lifelong involvement, I suggest breaking it down several timeframes using the Repeated feature, say childhood, HS, and college. Don't worry too much about precise hourly computations prior to college. If you like you can enter a zero, or better enter a 99, 999, or 9999 to signal that the hours are unknowable.

What are your thoughts on a MME where I had clinical responsibilities but my takeaway is more from a reflection that I had after seeing something a doctor did while I was volunteering? Is that okay? Or are they looking for me to grow from doing something directly?
Yes, that's OK. Many applicants format their intended "persona" as a doctor from amazing or appalling doctorly things they've witnessed in the course of their clinical duties or shadowing activity.

My friend who doesn't have an SDN account wanted me to ask a question on his behalf. He coached a variety of basketball teams for around 500 hours in various locations, but for his contact just put the one person who was part of the location he coached the most with? Is that ok?
Ideally, for an Employment, Volunteer, or Teaching space, he'd add a Contact for each team he coached, with the first in the header (most recent/most hours-doesn't matter) and the others in the narrative space.

Unless he puts it in the Hobbies category, which needs no Contact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe, depending on the hobby (like how interesting is it and would your skill level/depth of knowledge have grown over the years). If you decide to include lifelong involvement, I suggest breaking it down several timeframes using the Repeated feature, say childhood, HS, and college. Don't worry too much about precise hourly computations prior to college. If you like you can enter a zero, or better enter a 99, 999, or 9999 to signal that the hours are unknowable.
I would say it is an interesting hobby that involves significant skill that I have continued from age 6-now (I’m oldish). I will likely include lifetime involvement for this activity then, as it is a huge part of who I am.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say it is an interesting hobby that involves significant skill that I have continued from age 6-now (I’m oldish). I will likely include lifetime involvement for this activity then, as it is a huge part of who I am.
As you are "Old-ish" maybe also add a timespan for post-college years.

As you are "Old-ish" maybe also add a timespan for post-college years.
Okay perfect. I will do that. Thank you so much.

One more question: in regards to a collegiate sport, my coaches are all gone and I don’t know the athletic department anymore. Can I put a former teammate down as a contact. Honestly to verify if I did my sport in college, you’d just have to google my name and sport and my old bio comes up.... not to mention my entire resume post college shows that I was a collegiate athlete

One more question: in regards to a collegiate sport, my coaches are all gone and I don’t know the athletic department anymore.

Can I put a former teammate down as a contact. Honestly to verify if I did my sport in college, you’d just have to google my name and sport and my old bio comes up.... not to mention my entire resume post college shows that I was a collegiate athlete
As years have passed, using a teammate would be fine.

For awards, I plan to describe them all in one slot, but one I wanted to give its own - it's a study abroad scholarship, so I was going to use this spot to discuss that too and make it one of my most meaningful. Is this appropriate? Or is it better to list the slot for the study abroad and mention the scholarship with the others

Is it even worth including future hours for an activity that is ongoing or should I just put the end date as the month in which I'm sending out the primary and include all the hours I've done up until that point? If I did it that way, would it give schools the impression that I am stopping the activity as soon as I apply when in reality I will be continuing it?

You are not obliged to include all the hours that you spent shadowing other professions.

A physical therapist is not a physician, so instead call it Physical Therapy shadowing.

It's kind of a catch 22 though because if I list other healthcare professions it looks like I weighed my options and took my time before deciding. It also adds to my total hours of volunteer/shadowing. At the same time, however, as of now, my total hours for non-physician healthcare shadowing is 97 and my MD shadowing is at 43 so the other ones dominate. What would you suggest doing at this point since it's usually advised that your MD shadowing be greater than non MD shadowing? Would you suggest trying to get in another 30-40 hours shadowing an MD or DO?

For awards, I plan to describe them all in one slot, but one I wanted to give its own - it's a study abroad scholarship, so I was going to use this spot to discuss that too and make it one of my most meaningful. Is this appropriate? Or is it better to list the slot for the study abroad and mention the scholarship with the others
Giving the study abroad scholarship its own space is fine, but if you make it MM are you going to discuss the scholarship or the abroad experience? If the latter, why not use an "Other" space (where most applicants discuss a study abroad experience if they choose to list it) and mention the scholarship in the title and/or in the body of your narrative, rather than in an Awards/Honors space?

Is it even worth including future hours for an activity that is ongoing or should I just put the end date as the month in which I'm sending out the primary and include all the hours I've done up until that point? If I did it that way, would it give schools the impression that I am stopping the activity as soon as I apply when in reality I will be continuing it?
If you want to signal to schools that you intend to continue an activity, be sure to make it clear which hours you have already completed and then add the future intentions. Note that future hours don't carry weight in adcomm decision making. Two options:
a) Use the Repeated feature with completed hours and dates in the first timespan and future hours and dates in the second (using June (or the current month) as both the end date for span #1 and start date for span #2). All this will appear in the header, one above the other. Or alternatively,
b) if you are not sure of your end date or hours, or want to stay vague in case a better opportunity comes along, simply add at the end of the narrative some version of, "Will continue during the application year at x hours/week until . . . "

It's kind of a catch 22 though because if I list other healthcare professions it looks like I weighed my options and took my time before deciding. It also adds to my total hours of volunteer/shadowing. At the same time, however, as of now, my total hours for non-physician healthcare shadowing is 97 and my MD shadowing is at 43 so the other ones dominate. What would you suggest doing at this point since it's usually advised that your MD shadowing be greater than non MD shadowing? Would you suggest trying to get in another 30-40 hours shadowing an MD or DO?
You aren't required to claim all the hours that you've shadowed.

I suggest another 7-10 physician shadowing hours at a minimum.

Also note, just to be clear: shadowing is not considered a form of volunteering since you are doing it for yourself, not for the patient.

You aren't required to claim all the hours that you've shadowed.

I suggest another 7-10 physician shadowing hours at a minimum.

Also note, just to be clear: shadowing is not considered a form of volunteering since you are doing it for yourself, not for the patient.

I see. Do you think it's better to omit some of the hours in order to balance out my shadowing hours of MD? So 7-10 at a minimum so 50 hours being total, what would you say would be an ideal amount then? Another 20 hours? 30? Thanks

I see. Do you think it's better to omit some of the hours in order to balance out my shadowing hours of MD? So 7-10 at a minimum so 50 hours being total, what would you say would be an ideal amount then? Another 20 hours? 30? Thanks
If you had 50 physician shadowing hours (the average among all those applying), I suggest listing less than 50 for other professions.

If you had 50 physician shadowing hours (the average among all those applying), I suggest listing less than 50 for other professions.
Okay sounds good. Would you apply the same logic when applying to DO programs via AACOMAS?

Another strategy is to put multiple short-term jobs in one space. Barrista is actually a good job to list, due to dealing with the public and functioning in a rapid-paced stressful environment.
Regarding grouping multiple jobs, how should one enter the date ranges for 2 different jobs that were years apart? I began my 1st one in 2013, and ended my 2nd in 2018. There is a gap inbetween.

I was thinking June 2013 - May 2018.

I'll clarify the exact date ranges for each in the narrative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the repeated feature shouldn't be used in this instance.
Thanks again!

Regarding grouping multiple jobs, how should one enter the date ranges for 2 different jobs that were years apart? I began my 1st one in 2013, and ended my 2nd in 2018. There is a gap inbetween.

I was thinking June 2013 - May 2018.

I'll clarify the exact date ranges for each in the narrative. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the repeated feature shouldn't be used in this instance.
What you've described is fine. How do you propose to name the space to give the two jobs a commonality? Are they both collegiate jobs?

What you've described is fine. How do you propose to name the space to give the two jobs a commonality? Are they both collegiate jobs?
One was during college, and the other after graduation. They are blue-collar. I put "Manufacturing Work Experience"

Currently, I am working on a manuscript that my lab is planning to submit at the end of June. How can I express this in my activities section? Am I allowed to add in extra info: title of the manuscript, journey, etc after I submit? Thank you all!~

Currently, I am working on a manuscript that my lab is planning to submit at the end of June. How can I express this in my activities section? Am I allowed to add in extra info: title of the manuscript, journey, etc after I submit? Thank you all!~
It is preferred that you refrain from mentioning a manuscript in-preparation, or a submitted manuscript, or a manuscript in-review, as there is no guaranty it won't need major revisions, will be accepted by that journal, or will even eventually be published anywhere despite three-plus submissions. If you feel compelled to mention it regardless, bring it up in the affiliated Research space, but preferably you'll save it for Secondaries or future update letters after it's been through the peer-review process and you have an acceptance letter.

After you submit your application to AMCAS, it is not possible to update the Activities section with new information.

I am in a leadership position of what is technically a school club (it is a cultural club that connects people of that ethnicity across the large metropolitan area I live in and organizes large get-togethers, celebrations, events, etc.). I found out about it at my uni but its members are predominantly students from other universities nearby as well as non-student adults and elders in the community. So it is by no means a school club meant exclusively for students at that school, like how pre-med clubs are. My question is, even though its technically a student organization, should I frame this activity as more of a community-based group? Does the leadership component of my position lose value if its viewed through the scope as the president/VP/whatever of just a school club?
Describe it as Intercollegiate & Community-Based Cultural Group Leadership and get all possible points by describing it as you have here.
I should also mention that I am still in the group and have a leadership position despite having already graduated and not currently being a student.
Include this too, as it supports your thesis.

1) I recently tutored my friend 2 or 3 times but it wasn't longterm or paid tutoring. Is it considered real tutoring or is amcas only looking for paid/longterm tutoring?

2) Also, I participated in a club that had a few events but I didnt set up any events or anything like that. Can I put that down or are they onlFor reference I have 7 experiences that I wrote down so Im not sure if I need to put down more.
1) Adcomms will look on listing this sort of assistance to a friend or family member as fluff, and it isn't worth mentioning three tutoring sessions regardless, as it would make you look desperate. Don't list this experience.

2) Club participation won't help your application unless it led to leadership or volunteering opportunities. Though you were a general member, you could still list it, to signal to adcomms that you were particularly interested in the club's area of involvement.

Hi I have two questions and would appreciate any advice I can get.

1. I recently did some volunteer work in the Dominican Republic. It was working with a physician who was a family friend in health clinics for the underserved. It was not through a premed organization. Should I list this in my activities section and use the physician as the contact? He lives in D.R. Also, I did physical exams, blood pressure checks, accuchecks, etc. while I was there. I'm an RN and licensed to do this in the U.S., should I include these in the description?
2.In obtaining my RN license, I did a wide variety of clinical procedures and had hands-on patient contact in almost every specialty. I am listing this as clinical experience, but how should I classify it? Should I separate them by year or rotation and list the hours?

1. I recently did some volunteer work in the Dominican Republic. It was working with a physician who was a family friend in health clinics for the underserved. It was not through a premed organization.
a) Should I list this in my activities section and use the physician as the contact? He lives in D.R.
b) Also, I did physical exams, blood pressure checks, accuchecks, etc. while I was there. I'm an RN and licensed to do this in the U.S., should I include these in the description?
2.In obtaining my RN license, I did a wide variety of clinical procedures and had hands-on patient contact in almost every specialty. I am listing this as clinical experience, but how should I classify it? Should I separate them by year or rotation and list the hours?
1a) Yes and yes. Hopefully this activity didn't keep you from volunteering your time in the USA as well.
1b) If you are licensed to do all these things in the US, you can list them on the application.

2) Curricular activities aren't paid or volunteer. They go under the Other category (except for research), but you'll want to be sure to name the activity so the clinical component is obvious, eg Nursing School Clinical Rotations, or Curricular Hospital Patient Experience. All these classes will be on your transcript, and adcomms know what rotations nursing students complete, so there's no need to waste characters going into a lot of detail. Organize it in any way that makes sense to you. Hours entered should be only the time you were involved in patient care, not lecture, prep, orientation, or training time. Be sure your Contact agrees with your estimate.

Side note: you do have paid experience as a nurse, right?

1a) Yes and yes. Hopefully this activity didn't keep you from volunteering your time in the USA as well.
1b) If you are licensed to do all these things in the US, you can list them on the application.

2) Curricular activities aren't paid or volunteer. They go under the Other category (except for research), but you'll want to be sure to name the activity so the clinical component is obvious, eg Nursing School Clinical Rotations, or Curricular Hospital Patient Experience. All these classes will be on your transcript, and adcomms know what rotations nursing students complete, so there's no need to waste characters going into a lot of detail. Organize it in any way that makes sense to you. Hours entered should be only the time you were involved in patient care, not lecture, prep, orientation, or training time. Be sure your Contact agrees with your estimate.

Side note: you do have paid experience as a nurse, right?
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it. I have paid experince as a nurse that began this year and will continue till August next year. I was thinking of listing the hours completed already before submission and the rest as future hours up until I have to leave for matriculation. What are your thoughts on this?

I have paid experince as a nurse that began this year and will continue till August next year. I was thinking of listing the hours completed already before submission and the rest as future hours up until I have to leave for matriculation. What are your thoughts on this?
If you want to signal to schools that you intend to continue an activity, be sure to make it clear which hours you have already completed and then add the future intentions. Note that future hours don't carry weight in adcomm decision making. Two options:

a) Use the Repeated feature with completed hours and dates in the first timespan and future hours and dates in the second (using June (or the current month) as both the end date for span #1 and start date for span #2). All this will appear in the header, one above the other. Or alternatively,

b) if you are not sure of your end date or hours, are still in the probation period, plan to change jobs due to [whatever], or want to stay vague in case a better opportunity comes along, simply add at the end of the narrative some version of, "Will continue during the application year at x hours/week until . . . "

Is it critical that we make a note of what we did while shadowing if we are running low on characters? Like should I absolutely explain for each one "shadowed in clinc", "in surgery", "while dictating patient notes", etc.

Thank you.

Also, for hobbies, is it customary to just put 99999 or 00000 or something like that for number of hours? Or should I actually try to calculate the amount of time I spent on the hobby? It would be some obscene number in the thousands but I feel like theres no way it would be totally accurate and may seem like I'm trying too hard to show how much time I spent on this hobby.

EDIT: same question for publications. Should I just put 00000 or try to calculate the amount of time I spent on that project, which would be very difficult.

1) for hobbies, is it customary to just put 99999 or 00000 or something like that for number of hours? Or should I actually try to calculate the amount of time I spent on the hobby? It would be some obscene number in the thousands but I feel like theres no way it would be totally accurate and may seem like I'm trying too hard to show how much time I spent on this hobby.

2) same question for publications. Should I just put 00000 or try to calculate the amount of time I spent on that project, which would be very difficult.
1) If you can make a good faith estimate, do so, particularly for the college years, but the total hours don't matter, so a zero or a 9999 would be fine to enter as alternatives.

2) For Publications, enter zero. Prep time would be included with your affiliated Research entry.

Also, for hobbies, is it customary to just put 99999 or 00000 or something like that for number of hours? Or should I actually try to calculate the amount of time I spent on the hobby? It would be some obscene number in the thousands but I feel like theres no way it would be totally accurate and may seem like I'm trying too hard to show how much time I spent on this hobby.

EDIT: same question for publications. Should I just put 00000 or try to calculate the amount of time I spent on that project, which would be very difficult.

I want to extend this question to academic honors. If someone, for instance, received a full-tuition scholarship or is asked to be the graduation speaker, where the time commitment is hard to gauge and probably not that relevant, is the convention to put something like a 1 or 0000?

The place where we are supposed to enter Title for our contacts: is this to clarify pronouns / terms of address if they are contacted (Mr., Mrs., Dr., etc) or is this to state their current position, like Chair of English Department or PI of such and such lab?

I want to extend this question to academic honors. If someone, for instance, received a full-tuition scholarship or is asked to be the graduation speaker, where the time commitment is hard to gauge and probably not that relevant, is the convention to put something like a 1 or 0000?
Generally,for Honors/Awards, you could enter the time spent in ceremonies receiving the honor, or a zero, though if one were asked to be a graduation speaker, I think the speech preparation time could be entered.

BTW, a full-tuition scholarship based on need shouldn't be entered in Awards/Honors, just those based on merit in the college years.

The place where we are supposed to enter Title for our contacts: is this to clarify pronouns / terms of address if they are contacted (Mr., Mrs., Dr., etc) or is this to state their current position, like Chair of English Department or PI of such and such lab?
The title you enter for the Contact will appear after their name on the printout, so it could be academic credentials (PhD) or their job title (Chair of English Department), or the position they hold that is relevant to you using them as a Contact (Principal Investigator, Faculty Advisor, co-volunteer, Shadowing Coordinator). Note that you can use PhD and another title if you put a comma between and it will still look OK. Or you can put the PhD after the last name with a comma before it. Another comma is entered automatically between the content of the Last Name space and the Title space.

My friend has a DIY thesis about an obscure disease affecting the gait mechanics of African dung beetles or something like that. I hear that listing what they've written would not add any value to their app since it's not published. However, they would like to include something about it to show that they weren't wasting that time on something frivolous, as it was a 1,000+ hour time commitment.
1) Would it hurt their chances if they listed it, as long as there was nothing misleading about the way they described it?

2) What do you guys think of the idea of listing the process of reading and writing for the thesis as one activity, either as "Other", "Artistic Endeavor", or "Hobby"? This listing would talk about what happened in there, why they spent so much time on this even though it wouldn't help their app (instead of publishing as soon as they got something useable), how the experience changed them, etc. This project was done partially within the context of a two-quarter long independent study, and their thesis adviser has agreed to vouch for the hours logged.

3) Secondly, they really want to include at least part of the abstract of the thesis. Could they list part of the abstract as an "Other" or "Artistic Endeavor" activity with a link to the thesis online?

4) The thesis abstract is 250 words long, but it is ~2,700 characters long. Could they include chunks of the abstract in two or three "Other" or "Artistic Endeavor" activities with clear labeling, e.g. "Unpublished Thesis Abstract Part 2" or something like that? Or is that just way too much?

5) IP law is beyond the scope of SDN and medicine, but just in case anyone happens to know anything about that too, my friend is also interested in ways to deter people from stealing ideas since they're unpublished so far, so could they insert "Copyright 2019 so and so" just in case?
1) Using one space to describe this effort would be acceptable. Others have included ONE SPACE about the experience of writing a thesis.

2) A curricular credit, course-related description is usually under the "Other" tag. Since a thesis advisor will vouch for it, I think that the most suitable.

3) Not a full abstract. Just a descriptive blurb they can fit in the space. No link to an online paper.

4) No. One space. Just from reading these thoughts of the writer wanting to overwhelm a med school application with nonessential content make my eyebrow rise.

5) That is acceptable.

I just submitted my AMCAS app today and I the dumbest mistake, I doubled my hours for one of my lab experiences (3700 instead of 1850), I'm also currently in another lab right now and working in over the next year so including future hours I have an additional 2280 hours. I'm so disappointed in myself because I worked so hard on every aspect of my application, and I had pretty good stats, to mess it all up with such a frustrating error is devastating. I have seen other posts on this issue and wanted to know people's thoughts on when I should notify schools.

Is it all over?
In this case you will do ONLY the following. Immediately after transmission [not before July 1], you will send a very short (1-3 sentences) to all schools saying

“Due to a simple arithmetic error and oversight on my part, my activity for XXX should have been XXX amount of hours. I regret this error and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.”

You do not, do not, repeat the inflated mistake number in this letter lest in reinforce it as something other than mistake. Since this is on primary, you need to address it prior to evaluation. Else a school could feel you got to a point further in the process on false information and reconsider

Status
Not open for further replies.