*~*~*~* Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2021-2024 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi again,

For work and activity description should you simply describe your job and what you did or should you take a more story based approach like what some people suggest?
Save the “story approach” for areas where you have more space and use it lightly, perhaps in the PS or MM entries, if you have space, and if it adds significant interest to your narrative. Definitely do not use it for every activity entry. They are tedious to read through and rarely add detail we need to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, I'm glad I did not shoot myself in the foot by pursuing that.

Reactions: 1 user
Can 1 W&A entry be devoted to just listing your presentations, manuscripts, and any pubs made during your entire pre-med journey?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in a small predicament. I have about 4000 hours of clinical experience. Over 2100 from patient transporting, 1100 in scribing, and the remainder in medical assisting. I've listed them all under paid clinical experiences but my scribing falls under two categories, leadership and paid clinical. Scribing was my only leadership experience, trained two other scribes, but the amount of hours I put into training them was ~75 at best. It was also a meaningful experience for me but it was never the leadership aspect that did it for me but rather the clinical experience.

1. I already have a ton of clinical experience on this section of the app, so would it be suggested to change it to leadership or leave it as clinical/paid?
2. I was thinking of leaving it as clinical and in my 700-character part just talking about being promoted and then for my meaningful paragraph I'd just talk about why it was meaningful and leave out the leadership components. Would this work?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

I'm currently in a small predicament. I have about 4000 hours of clinical experience. Over 2100 from patient transporting, 1100 in scribing, and the remainder in medical assisting. I've listed them all under paid clinical experiences but my scribing falls under two categories, leadership and paid clinical. Scribing was my only leadership experience, trained two other scribes, but the amount of hours I put into training them was ~75 at best. It was also a meaningful experience for me but it was never the leadership aspect that did it for me but rather the clinical experience.

1. I already have a ton of clinical experience on this section of the app, so would it be suggested to change it to leadership or leave it as clinical/paid?
2. I was thinking of leaving it as clinical and in my 700-character part just talking about being promoted and then for my meaningful paragraph I'd just talk about why it was meaningful and leave out the leadership components. Would this work?

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
1) If you want to list the leadership component on its own (75 hours being sufficient), split out those 75 hours into another (Leadership) space, with it’s own dates. Don’t double count the 75 hours.

2) If you want to leave the scribing and leadership position together (due to space limitations, perhaps), list it as Employment-Medical/Clinical, but include both roles in the title of the slot. Then proceed as you suggested in #2 and mention that 75 hours of the above Total Hours were related to your training role.

I have a hospitalist shadowing entry I want to add to my W&A to show the most recent stuff I've been doing to show improvement as a reapplicant. But I'm at 15 entries and I need to choose a weak entry to find and replace to fill this hospitalist shadowing entry in. The two entries that I'm debating between which to remove are my Phi Beta Kappa Honors entry and my entry for a state-sponsored/government issued scholarship that I was awarded to help finance my public undergrad education. Which entry could I remove to replace with my hospitalist shadowing?

I have a hospitalist shadowing entry I want to add to my W&A to show the most recent stuff I've been doing to show improvement as a reapplicant. But I'm at 15 entries and I need to choose a weak entry to find and replace to fill this hospitalist shadowing entry in. The two entries that I'm debating between which to remove are my Phi Beta Kappa Honors entry and my entry for a state-sponsored/government issued scholarship that I was awarded to help finance my public undergrad education. Which entry could I remove to replace with my hospitalist shadowing?
Phi Beta Kappa can be easily removed, as your GPA speaks for itself.

If the state-sponsored scholarship was based on HS performance, you could take that out, too, provided their aren't additional college-related benchmarks you have to reach each year to keep the aid.

If you wish, both recognitions could be listed in a single Honors/Awards space, using the College Registrar as the Contact.

Reactions: 1 users
Phi Beta Kappa can be easily removed, as your GPA speaks for itself.

If the state-sponsored scholarship was based on HS performance, you could take that out, too, provided their aren't additional college-related benchmarks you have to reach each year to keep the aid.

If you wish, both recognitions could be listed in a single Honors/Awards space, using the College Registrar as the Contact.
If consolidating two entries into one, can I just list PBK and the scholarship without listing anything else, in a bullet note format, or should I decribe more detail about those honors and awards?

If consolidating two entries into one, can I just list PBK and the scholarship without listing anything else, in a bullet note format, or should I decribe more detail about those honors and awards?
The criteria for PBK vary among schools, so some indication of how selective it is at yours would be nice.

Ditto for the scholarship: criteria, how selective was it, ongoing requirements for each college year.

I had a short volunteer position that was cut short when COVID happened. The last time I applied, I made my best guess at my number of hours by multiplying my shift length by the number of shifts I thought I had volunteered. This came out to around 50 hours. I am reapplying this cycle, and when I called the volunteer services at this place they told me they have only 24 hours on record for me. I did not track every hour I worked, so it’s possible I had my start date wrong but I was fairly certain I was at 50. I don’t want to run the risk of misrepresenting the number of hours, so I’m going to put 26 since that’s what my contact will be able to verify. Will it be an issue when schools see that the hours don’t match when they compare my two applications?

I had a short volunteer position that was cut short when COVID happened. The last time I applied, I made my best guess at my number of hours by multiplying my shift length by the number of shifts I thought I had volunteered. This came out to around 50 hours. I am reapplying this cycle, and when I called the volunteer services at this place they told me they have only 24 hours on record for me. I did not track every hour I worked, so it’s possible I had my start date wrong but I was fairly certain I was at 50. I don’t want to run the risk of misrepresenting the number of hours, so I’m going to put 26 since that’s what my contact will be able to verify. Will it be an issue when schools see that the hours don’t match when they compare my two applications?

I have moved your question to our main AMCAS Work/Activities thread.

No. An activity (besides shadowing) with 50 or less hours is usually of little significance on an app. For 24 hours, it might be more worthwhile to leave it off.

No. An activity (besides shadowing) with 50 or less hours is usually of little significance on an app. For 24 hours, it might be more worthwhile to leave it off.
Thanks. I want to have it on there because there’s a gap of about 1.5 years after that activity before my next clinical experience and I marked it most meaningful on my first app. Mainly just concerned about schools thinking I was trying to deceive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I want to have it on there because there’s a gap of about 1.5 years after that activity before my next clinical experience and I marked it most meaningful on my first app. Mainly just concerned about schools thinking I was trying to deceive.
Having it on there does not help. Definitely do not mark it as a most meaningful again.

Having it on there does not help. Definitely do not mark it as a most meaningful again.
Haha definitely not the plan, I have much more clinical experience this time around. So your advice is that listing it could hurt me so I’m better off just not including it?

Haha definitely not the plan, I have much more clinical experience this time around. So your advice is that listing it could hurt me so I’m better off just not including it?

Yes, if you have much more clinical experience, it is not worth putting an activity with so few hours. It could come across as fluff.

Yes, if you have much more clinical experience, it is not worth putting an activity with so few hours. It could come across as fluff.
Gotcha. Aside from that, I’m sitting on 350 clinical volunteering and 170 shadowing. Is that enough to leave it off safely?

Hello. I have a question about my clinical experiences. I have 480 hours of clinical experience as a medical scribe and 70 hours of clinical observation/shadowing. Should I combine these two into one section as "Clinical Experience" or separate them and write each section individually?

Would it be considered too late if I submit my application in early July?

Thank you so much in advance for your help and guidance.

1) I have a question about my clinical experiences. I have 480 hours of clinical experience as a medical scribe and 70 hours of clinical observation/shadowing. Should I combine these two into one section as "Clinical Experience" or separate them and write each section individually?

2) Would it be considered too late if I submit my application in early July?
1) List them separately so adcomms will find them when they go looking for each category.

2) No. Not "too" late and not a tiny bit late.

I was a specimen processor and not sure how to categorize. There are two options on the AMCAS application
1. Paid employment: (medical/clinical)
2. Paid employment: (nonmedical/clinical)

I received incoming specimens from patient floors and clinics. Inspected the specimen to ensure it is in the correct tube, is not damaged, etc. Prepared them by (centrifuged, divided into aliquots) and transported to the requested lab.

So clearly, this is NOT clinical since I'm not interacting with patients, so I was going to put it as Paid employment: (nonmedical/clinical). But then if put this, I will be lying by saying "non-medical" when this is medical so was thinking. Paid employment: (medical/clinical).
What should you put this as?

I was a specimen processor and not sure how to categorize. There are two options on the AMCAS application

I received incoming specimens from patient floors and clinics. Inspected the specimen to ensure it is in the correct tube, is not damaged, etc. Prepared them by (centrifuged, divided into aliquots) and transported to the requested lab.

So clearly, this is NOT clinical since I'm not interacting with patients, so I was going to put it as Paid employment: (nonmedical/clinical). But then if put this, I will be lying by saying "non-medical" when this is medical so was thinking. Paid employment: (medical/clinical).
For AMCAS purposes this is not "clinical." Use the tag Paid employment: (nonmedical/clinical).

I have moved your question and the answers to it into our main AMCAS Work/Activities thread.

In planning ahead for next year...

I am not sure how to categorize being a Bonner Scholar (if you aren't familiar (I didn't see it in this thread), it's a 4 year scholarship program with a service requirement - 200 hours every semester and 280 for 2 summers, or you can do an additional summer of 280 hours for another stipend plus a service trip after freshman year which adds around 40 hours). My first year/summer of hours were nonclinical, the final three years were clinical (EMT).

Is it better to list this as an honor/award or try to break them apart as clinical and nonclinical volunteer? I continued at the volunteer rescue squad for several years and it is one of my MM experiences (I am a super nontrad applicant and have been with this squad for almost 17 years now and it led to my career as a paramedic), but I also want to show the hours for the nonclinical side if possible. I do have a more recent nonclinical activity but not a lot of hours there due to my work schedule.

In planning ahead for next year...

I am not sure how to categorize being a Bonner Scholar (if you aren't familiar (I didn't see it in this thread), it's a 4 year scholarship program with a service requirement - 200 hours every semester and 280 for 2 summers, or you can do an additional summer of 280 hours for another stipend plus a service trip after freshman year which adds around 40 hours). My first year/summer of hours were nonclinical, the final three years were clinical (EMT).

Is it better to list this as an honor/award or try to break them apart as clinical and nonclinical volunteer? I continued at the volunteer rescue squad for several years and it is one of my MM experiences (I am a super nontrad applicant and have been with this squad for almost 17 years now and it led to my career as a paramedic), but I also want to show the hours for the nonclinical side if possible. I do have a more recent nonclinical activity but not a lot of hours there due to my work schedule.
I suggest breaking it apart into Volunteer Clinical and Nonclinical, but you could also mention the scholarship in a grouped Honors/Awards Recognitions space or alternatively in a Collegiate Year's Highlights-titled space (tagged Other) where you include non-related items that stand out (since the college years were awhile ago). Or you could mention the scholarship aspect within the backstory of the relevant Volunteer slots.

I suggest breaking it apart into Volunteer Clinical and Nonclinical, but you could also mention the scholarship in a grouped Honors/Awards Recognitions space or alternatively in a Collegiate Year's Highlights-titled space (tagged Other) where you include non-related items that stand out (since the college years were awhile ago). Or you could mention the scholarship aspect within the backstory of the relevant Volunteer slots.
Thank you for making those suggestions! I'm going to have to think on it a little in relation to the rest of my entries since I have some time, but I like the idea of the college year highlights section as I could bring in some other info from college that I was planning to leave out.

Hi everyone, I know this thread hasn't been active in a few so hopefully someone sees this.

I am working on my DO W/A section, and it's too late to change AMCAS. But I saw a post (granted on reddit) that we shouldn't relate our experiences to how they would transfer as skills to medicine. I did that for some of my AMCAS activities, but should I avoid it for DO? Or should I try to incorporate DO principles in them?

I am working on my DO W/A section, and it's too late to change AMCAS. But I saw a post (granted on reddit) that we shouldn't relate our experiences to how they would transfer as skills to medicine. I did that for some of my AMCAS activities, but should I avoid it for DO? Or should I try to incorporate DO principles in them?
If you read through enough of this thread, you’d see there is general agreement with the reddit post to which you refer. Avoiding that approach for your DO application is also preferable. “Show, don’t Tell. “

If you read through enough of this thread, you’d see there is general agreement with the reddit post to which you refer. Avoiding that approach for your DO application is also preferable. “Show, don’t Tell. “
rip do you think it is bad for AMCAS? I did it 4 times out of 15ish, not including the healthcare work/activities.

If it was only four, you’ll be all right.
Okay thank you!

I am now having an absolute crisis because while going through the AMCAS work/activities to change over for AACOMAS, I discover 2,000 non-clinical, church-related volunteer hours never made it in the primary. I don't know how it happened, I think it was some sort of technical issue.

Some schools have a "what do you want the adcoms to know about you" section in the secondaries, which would save me, but some don't. How do I incorporate that into a secondary for a school without that prompt? I am actually devastated. I have 80 hours unrelated to the 2000, but that's only 80 volunteer hours. I don't know if it's appropriate/acceptable to put the missing 2000 hours in a random secondary essay.

Okay thank you!

I am now having an absolute crisis because while going through the AMCAS work/activities to change over for AACOMAS, I discover 2,000 non-clinical, church-related volunteer hours never made it in the primary. I don't know how it happened, I think it was some sort of technical issue.

Some schools have a "what do you want the adcoms to know about you" section in the secondaries, which would save me, but some don't. How do I incorporate that into a secondary for a school without that prompt? I am actually devastated. I have 80 hours unrelated to the 2000, but that's only 80 volunteer hours. I don't know if it's appropriate/acceptable to put the missing 2000 hours in a random secondary essay.
Think of a way to create a connection between the 2000 hour activity and a reasonable response to the prompt. Or, save it for an update letter (where accepted) later in the cycle.. Or send the remaining schools a note, “Due to my error I failed to include . . . . “.

Think of a way to create a connection between the 2000 hour activity and a reasonable response to the prompt. Or, save it for an update letter (where accepted) later in the cycle.. Or send the remaining schools a note, “Due to my error I failed to include . . . . “.
When should I send that email about the hours? Or does it go in some sort of a letter?
so sorry for all the questions, I am kind of really panicking.

My biggest clinical experience I had was nursing home volunteering (500+ hrs) but I don’t think I did a good job describing why it was clinical. In my description I mainly wrote about talking to patients since the social-emotional support was the most impactful portion of the role to me. I also help with mobility/leading activities for maintaining cognitive ability/help with feeding and everything is on the assisted living floor but I didn’t really stress those aspects in my application. My adviser said it would be fine to list as clinical, but I’m worried now in hindsight bc some ppl have said it doesn’t count and I don’t think I really did a good job describing it as clinical.

Besides that had about ~300 other clinical. Am I just being neurotic? I’m kind of worried. Thanks
I agree with your advisor that in general, it will "Count," depending on how you described your patient population. The feeding component, I would not count, but the help with mobility/leading activities for maintaining cognitive ability would. (Perhaps you can work it into a Secondary essay.) To put the two components into perspective, the personal interaction one on one would be more highly regarded than standing in front of a group and leading a class. So I think you did fine in describing the activity.

For any adcomm who does not consider Assisted Living involvement as "clinical," the 300 other hours would be above average for the vast majority of med schools, regardless.

I agree with your advisor that in general, it will "Count," depending on how you described your patient population. The feeding component, I would not count, but the help with mobility/leading activities for maintaining cognitive ability would. (Perhaps you can work it into a Secondary essay.) To put the two components into perspective, the personal interaction one on one would be more highly regarded than standing in front of a group and leading a class. So I think you did fine in describing the activity.

For any adcomm who does not consider Assisted Living involvement as "clinical," the 300 other hours would be above average for the vast majority of med schools, regardless.
Hi Catalystik, Sorry if this is not the correct way to reach out, I am new to SDN. I had a question about contacts and activates. For the Fulbright, I do not have a specific contact name I could reliably put down due to time differences. Would it be alright to put down the contact at my former college's fellowships office since they would be much easier to reach out to? Additionally, one of my activities is serving as an English tutor, but this is something I do with a family I know from my host country. Who could I put down as a contact for this? Thank you for taking a look at this!

I had a question about contacts and activates. 1) For the Fulbright, I do not have a specific contact name I could reliably put down due to time differences. Would it be alright to put down the contact at my former college's fellowships office since they would be much easier to reach out to? 2) Additionally, one of my activities is serving as an English tutor, but this is something I do with a family I know from my host country. Who could I put down as a contact for this? Thank you for taking a look at this!
1) Yes.
2) Use one of the adults in the family. In the description include the best language for a Contact to use, if they are not comfortable with English.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi SDN community, I have a question about reporting anticipated hours in AMCAS. I’m reapplying, and from what I remember of last year’s application, there were instructions to only report hours as anticipated if they were already scheduled. This year I don’t see that note in the instructions and I don’t see anything about it in the AAMC’s materials or other online resources. It seems like this year it would be fine to report hours I expect to complete by matriculation, even if they’re not specifically scheduled yet (eg, for a volunteer activity where I’m called in on an as-needed basis, so I can estimate how many more hours I expect to get but there’s no guarantee), but I don’t want to do the wrong thing. Does anyone know for sure what hours I’m supposed to report as anticipated? Thank you for any advice.

Hi SDN community, I have a question about reporting anticipated hours in AMCAS. I’m reapplying, and from what I remember of last year’s application, there were instructions to only report hours as anticipated if they were already scheduled. This year I don’t see that note in the instructions and I don’t see anything about it in the AAMC’s materials or other online resources. It seems like this year it would be fine to report hours I expect to complete by matriculation, even if they’re not specifically scheduled yet (eg, for a volunteer activity where I’m called in on an as-needed basis, so I can estimate how many more hours I expect to get but there’s no guarantee), but I don’t want to do the wrong thing. Does anyone know for sure what hours I’m supposed to report as anticipated? Thank you for any advice.
It's fine to report anticipated hours so long as it is clear what hours you have already completed. If the future hours are in any way iffy, you might consider mentioning them as an aside in your narrative, like, "In addition to the above hours, I hope to complete XX to YYY more hours by (date)," rather than including those hours in the header's Total Hours space. We see all too often that those hours never happen, due to life circumstance.

It's fine to report anticipated hours so long as it is clear what hours you have already completed. If the future hours are in any way iffy, you might consider mentioning them as an aside in your narrative, like, "In addition to the above hours, I hope to complete XX to YYY more hours by (date)," rather than including those hours in the header's Total Hours space. We see all too often that those hours never happen, due to life circumstance.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Hi Catalystik, I had another question. For activities where I was a volunteer, but also held a leadership position, should I put volunteer or leadership as the activity type on AMCAS? Thanks for looking at this! To help give some context, I was an assistant coach and president of a volunteering organization.

For activities where I was a volunteer, but also held a leadership position, should I put volunteer or leadership as the activity type on AMCAS? Thanks for looking at this! To help give some context, I was an assistant coach and president of a volunteering organization.
How long were you with the organization before taking on the leadership role? How many hours were from leadership only? If the roles co-existed, what percent of the time were you leading?

How long were you with the organization before taking on the leadership role? How many hours were from leadership only? If the roles co-existed, what percent of the time were you leading?
If you consider coaching itself as leadership, then the whole time for that activity. For the volunteer organization, I am an alumni now and help out, but in college I was in a leadership role 3/4 years. I hope this answers your question? Basically, since I feel as though both activities can qualify as leadership and volunteering, I am wondering which is more advantageous to list as. I am not sure if listing something as leadership means schools do not count that activity as volunteering anymore?

If you consider coaching itself as leadership, then the whole time for that activity. For the volunteer organization, I am an alumni now and help out, but in college I was in a leadership role 3/4 years. I hope this answers your question? Basically, since I feel as though both activities can qualify as leadership and volunteering, I am wondering which is more advantageous to list as. I am not sure if listing something as leadership means schools do not count that activity as volunteering anymore?
I consider coaching to be a form of teaching. You can tag it as Teaching or Volunteer, whichever is best to balance your application.

For the second activity, can you split out the leadership from the volunteer aspect and have enough hours for two slots (taking care not to double count the hours)?

Thank you, that is very helpful. I will leave coaching as volunteering then, as I did a Fulbright and used teaching there as a tag. And I do not have enough room to do that unfortunately for your second suggestion. What would you recommend? Also, another quick question. A lot of my hours are easy to calculate since I had contacts who could tell me how many hours I had. Now that I am three years out of college, I am having difficulty estimating the activities for 2 activities I did more than 1000 hours on. I do not want to overestimate, any advice on your end on how to address that?

Thank you, that is very helpful. I will leave coaching as volunteering then, as I did a Fulbright and used teaching there as a tag. And I do not have enough room to do that unfortunately for your second suggestion. What would you recommend? Also, another quick question. A lot of my hours are easy to calculate since I had contacts who could tell me how many hours I had. Now that I am three years out of college, I am having difficulty estimating the activities for 2 activities I did more than 1000 hours on. I do not want to overestimate, any advice on your end on how to address that?
For the second activity, I suggest tagging it as Volunteer, but mentioning the leadership role in the name you give the space. In the narrative, state the date you assumed the leadership role (roughly) and the percent time dedicated to that role.

If you are not sure of the hours, enter a 999 (code for unknowable hours).

Ok, thank you so much for all of your help. I really appreciate you answering my questions at 10 at night haha. I am very stressed about being late, but because of your help, I can submit it tomorrow now. Thank you!