Official Case Western Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
adding myself to cclcm likely

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure
Taehong81 (probably not going)
Mr Reddly (depends if I get off of the 2 Cali waitlists or not)

CCLCM Intended
soulrflare (if accepted, likely to attend)

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat
autobot

CCLCM accepted, unsure
duka
fuzzylogic [/B][/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by duka
fuzzylogic-- what other schools are you deciding on at this point?

duka, it's mainly the mstp. i am debating b/w the mstp and the regular md program. in terms of the md's, my choices are among cclcm, nu and einstein. i am not 100% sure about where i will be at the moment. that's why i will be at the revisit next thursday. i just want to learn more about the program at cclcm. how about you? are you going?

Yes, I'll be there-- I want to hear more about what has develloped with their plans since I interviewed last fall.

Originally posted by fuzzylogic
duka, it's mainly the mstp. i am debating b/w the mstp and the regular md program. in terms of the md's, my choices are among cclcm, nu and einstein. i am not 100% sure about where i will be at the moment. that's why i will be at the revisit next thursday. i just want to learn more about the program at cclcm. how about you? are you going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Exmike--
I've been meaning to ask you...what is your avatar?

its a picture of some black neon tetras from my fish tank. :)

Remember during your tour where the guy had a fish tank on his desk in the student study desk rooms? I want to do that!

did not mean to offend anybody, just answer the question :D

Anybody planning on going to this Doc Opera thing next Saturday? Is this going to be part of the informal second-visit weekend ya'll have been talking about?

Case Intended
bocai
robotdancing
Nate121
soulrflare
Judd
hobs

Case accepted, likely
exmike
Kashue

Case accepted, unsure
Taehong81 (probably not going)
Mr Reddly (depends if I get off of the 2 Cali waitlists or not)
DannGee (Case or Pitt)

CCLCM Intended
soulrflare (if accepted, likely to attend)

CCLCM accepted, likely
niveknat
autobot

CCLCM accepted, unsure
duka
fuzzylogic

umm DannGee,
I think you may want to remove the 'adding myself to cclcm likely' part of your post.:p

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
umm DannGee,
I think you may want to remove the 'adding myself to cclcm likely' part of your post.:p
:laugh:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
umm DannGee,

done! sometimes i still have trouble with deleting the right things :D

i did like CCLCM, though, but i don't think i'm so set on being an academic that i would commit myself to a 5-year program right now. i loved everything else about it, though.

Tentatively, I know of two people who will/may be in Cleveland for the CCLCM second look/Doc Opera thing (and with me, that makes 3). If others are thinking of coming to Cleveland to look around or whatever, that might be a good time to do it. I can show you all around (I have a new minivan that seats six after I take the babyseats out). It's the weekend of April 2-4. If anybody needs a ride to/from airport, I'm your guy.

We can look at housing, get drunk (first round on me), etc.

email with or PM me if you are interested or have questions.

[email protected]

Judd

Members don't see this ad :)
If it wasn't so soon, I might consider it. As it is, just too darn expensive for flights without notice. :(

edit: just looked at flight... Darn it was alot cheaper during interview season. 9/11 I guess.

Originally posted by juddson

If others are thinking of coming to Cleveland to look around or whatever, that might be a good time to do it. I can show you all around (I have a new minivan that seats six after I take the babyseats out). It's the weekend of April 2-4. If anybody needs a ride to/from airport, I'm your guy.

We can look at housing, get drunk (first round on me), etc.

[email protected]

Judd

again, judd, you are superb :thumbup:. case is definitely a good place to be and i am very interested in being in cleveland and meeting nice people like you. i am not sure if i will have an opportunity to hang out with you guys in april. but, i do wish i will have a chance to be in the same class with you guys.

Has anyone got their financial aid packets yet?

Anyone know how good their packet is for really needy students?

<---po' boy.

I just got a full tuition scholarship to one of my state schools(20k tuition) and I'm hoping Case will at least try to come close.

Kashue

I called Case finaid last week and they told me they would start putting together packages between now and the beginning of april. the woman i talked to also told me that we should get them at the end of april.
I'm 27 and not making much money, so I hear you regarding the finaid package. unfortunately my dad is a physician and "makes too much money"--even though he's not helping to pay for school and is in fact close to retirement. I also have two sisters who will be in prof. school next year (med school and dental school), but since my sisters will be living off of loans and not receiving 1/2 of their support from my dad, I couldn't list them on the finaid forms. in addition, my mom is in grad school, but you can't list a parent who is in school :(

hey Case people!

I was accepted to CWRU but I am currently torn between 3 schools: Pitt, CWRU, and Ohio State......any suggestions?

Originally posted by RoccoWJ
hey Case people!

I was accepted to CWRU but I am currently torn between 3 schools: Pitt, CWRU, and Ohio State......any suggestions?

wassup man.

I think the Case vs. OSU is a easy choice for you since you're out of state. I'm going to decline OSU. The difference in price isn't worth the difference in reputation. Pitt, i have no idea.

20,000 from your state school would be difficult to pass up, I have to say.

Your financial aid package can be predicted fairly easily with some regularity.

let's assume your faily contribution is zero dollars. The budget is approx. $54,000 (it makes me sick just to think about that number). The unit loan is $27,000. Your contribution is a minimum of $1500 (even if your EFC is nothing). That leaves $54,000
minus
$27,000
minus
$1500
equals
$25,500

This figure represents your unmet need. To meet that need Case ussually gives the student about half Case grants and hald loans (either private Case loan or Stafford loan). I'm betting you will get about $12,000 in free money from Case and another $11,500 in Stafford unsubsidized and $1,500 in private Case loan.

After it is all said and done, you will be borrowing:

$8,500 subsidized stafford
$30,000 unsubsidized stafford
$12,000 Case Grant
$1,500 Private Case loan
equals
$52,000 total aid - fully $40,000 a which will be loans each year.

I'm willing to bet that your financial aid package from Case will not look signifiicantly different from this unless you get a scholarship (which you have to apply for).

Don't sweat it. I'm borrowing $38,500 a year for 4 years.

Judd

Originally posted by RoccoWJ
hey Case people!

:smuggrin: ....if I were you I would go with Pitt or OHSU...... and give me your Case spot..... :smuggrin:

......PLEASE :D ....PRETTY PLEASE!!!!!

CanIBeMe??

Hmm guys, I'm kinda wavering on going to Case given that I'll be in 150k in debt vs <50 k of debt if I go to my state School.

I already have 40k in undergrad loans and I'm wondering if the Case name is really worth the extra 100k?

Originally posted by Kashue
Hmm guys, I'm kinda wavering on going to Case given that I'll be in 150k in debt vs <50 k of debt if I go to my state School.

I already have 40k in undergrad loans and I'm wondering if the Case name is really worth the extra 100k?

whats your state school?

yea, I think it depends on your state school, doesn't it? I agree with you 100% all things considered. I think upper-med-level schools like Case, Rochester, Pitt, etc., are going to start to have problems recruiting and keeping good people in the future because the differential between them and "solid" state schools in terms of money is looking to be getting very large. Quite frankly, I have trouble understanding (fully - I can understand it a little bit) why an in-stater (like me) would spend the extra $$$$ to go to Case if he also got into Ohio State, for instance. It's simply too much extra money.

I think these concerns mean less for the Harvards and Hopkins because these will always have people who want them above all others, regardless of price. BUT, it will start to cull some strong people off the rosters as tuitions reach into a beyond 50k a year, which is really too much for ANY school.

Are you looking at Downstate, Kashue?

Judd

so you're suggesting i should go to osu instead of case (3 years in state tuition)??

Well, let's do the math. Assuming the costs will NOT increase for either school each year over four years (I'll make this assumption only because I don't know what the amount will be in any event, and the assumption applies to both schools anway) the budgets for the two schools are as follows:

OSU:

1. Approx. 60,000
2. Approx. 35,000
3. Approx. 45,000
4. Approx. 39,000

over four years that works out to: 179,000. Your notice at OSU the first year budget is HUGE for out of staters, but then goes down. However, the third year budget is greater (extra months in class, I guess).

The budget at Case is:

1. Approx. 52,000
2. Approx. 52,000
3. Approx. 52,000
4. Approx. 52,000

Over four years that's $208,000.

Case will cost you approx. an extra $30,000 over four years, or only about $7.5k a year each year. TO ME, that is NOT a siginificant difference, and the extra opportunities that Case offers are probably worth it. Don't get me wrong - OSU is a solid school. BUT, it is also a more "regional" school and if you are looking to get out of Ohio after school, I've no doubt that Case offers the better "value" in this respect.

Another way to look at it is this: Over the life of the loans, $179,000 is such a staggering figure anyway, what difference does owe $208,000 make anyway? I'mm not sure it makes much of a difference.

ON THE OTHE HAND, financial aid could change this picture enormously, no? Assuming you demonstrate "full need" you can expect something on the order of $11,000 a year from Case in free money. That cuts your loans to something like $160,000. The question is whether OSU will also give you as much money. Would tend to doubt it only because it will generally have less money to give AND it may be more stingy with it for out of staters, at least during the first year.

But this is accademic. You have to see what the financial aid packages are. Assuming they are the same (or you are rick), I think Case is the better "value" because of the opportunities it gives you.

I could NOT make the same claim if OSU were offering you $20,000 a year in free money. That cuts loans to only about $100,000, and quite frankly that's almost "free" when it comes to med school. I'm quite certain I'd go to OSU if that were the case. But, assuming your packages are comparable, I would go to Case, particularly if you want the maximum opportunities to go outside of Ohio later.

I think Kashue is in a different boat than you are. I would be very tempted to go to downstate if I know I was graduating with only about $60,000 in loans. But just to save 30k over four years, I'd choose Case.

Judd

i should like to add the following:

I don't know which state school Kashue got into, or how good it is in any event. That will make a difference in my opinion. For instance, I have been admitted to MCO and WSU (two of our second tier med schools in Ohio) and I can say without much hesitation that even if they gave me free rides (100% tuition paid) I'd still go to Case. On the other hand, if UC or OSU had decided to award me free rides, that would be different.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends.

Judd

hey ya'll
just wanted to let you know that I saw the 2005 rankings, and we're still at 24!
ps...OSU got bumped back to 38 :smuggrin:

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
hey ya'll
just wanted to let you know that I saw the 2005 rankings, and we're still at 24!
ps...OSU got bumped back to 38 :smuggrin:

post them!

I didn't buy the issue, and i don't remember all of them...
1. harvard (big suprise)
2. washington u
3. hopkins
4. duke and penn (i think)
6. ?
7. michigan
15. Pitt and vandy
.mayo and emory are up here somewhere
24. case

sorry...i should have bought it, but the stupid thing was $10!!

Ouch! well, I'm off to Barns and Nobles!

oh...case made the top 10 in family practice

GO BACK AND BUY IT!!!! We'll each paypal you 1 cent

Why isn't it in the online edition? I/m going to Borders.

Judd

No love frm Borders.

Judd

damn, i wanted to break the top 20. but alas, there's always next year.

well, Case was at 15 about 5 or six years ago, so it'll get there again.

Going back to the financial discussion, I thought that Case gave out a lot of financial aid. If my memory serves me, Case stated on one of their handouts that last year's graduating class had an average indebtedness of around $100K, including undergrad loans. Although Case's tuition is high, I focus more on the indebtedness figure.

That's not what I recall. I seem to remember the average debt load for a Case grad last year was in the 170k range. Who else knows something about this?

Judd

exmike,

Suppose August rolls around and you've sent in your deposit to Case, put a few dollars down on an apartment in Cleveland and its just a few days before class. THEN, MSSM calls and they want you. What would you do?

Judd

yea, I think it depends on your state school, doesn't it? I agree with you 100% all things considered. I think upper-med-level schools like Case, Rochester, Pitt, etc., are going to start to have problems recruiting and keeping good people in the future because the differential between them and "solid" state schools in terms of money is looking to be getting very large. Quite frankly, I have trouble understanding (fully - I can understand it a little bit) why an in-stater (like me) would spend the extra $$$$ to go to Case if he also got into Ohio State, for instance. It's simply too much extra money.

I think these concerns mean less for the Harvards and Hopkins because these will always have people who want them above all others, regardless of price. BUT, it will start to cull some strong people off the rosters as tuitions reach into a beyond 50k a year, which is really too much for ANY school.

Are you looking at Downstate, Kashue?

Judd

Buffalo maybe. I've got a full scholarship there which means that my expenses will be only living and I know i can live on less then 10k in Buffalo.

i should like to add the following:

I don't know which state school Kashue got into, or how good it is in any event. That will make a difference in my opinion. For instance, I have been admitted to MCO and WSU (two of our second tier med schools in Ohio) and I can say without much hesitation that even if they gave me free rides (100% tuition paid) I'd still go to Case. On the other hand, if UC or OSU had decided to award me free rides, that would be different.

I guess what I'm saying is that it all depends.

Judd

Judd you'd take Case and go 160k in debt even if you had a full ride? Why don't you like MCO and WSU?